Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
End of Pandemic Aid Leaves
Schools Stuck With Meal Tab
Jan 14, 2023 4:15 PM CST
End of Pandemic Aid Leaves Schools Stuck With Meal Tab
Debt is mounting in districts as Congress doesn't act
- School lunch debt has long been an issue, but there's a twist now. The federal government began providing breakfast and lunch at no charge to all students to help families during the pandemic, regardless of income. The program ended three months ago, the
reports, and without those...
Doctor Who Claimed
Face Masks Were
Harmful Gets Jail Time
Jan 3, 2023 10:05 AM CST
Doctor Who Claimed Face Masks Were Harmful Gets Jail Time
Physician in Germany hit with nearly 3-year prison sentence after issuing 4K-plus mask exemptions
- A German doctor has been sentenced to two years and nine months in prison for illegally issuing exemptions from wearing masks during the coronavirus pandemic for more than 4,000 people. Public broadcaster SWR reported that a regional court in the southwestern town of Weinheim convicted the doctor late Monday...
Scans Show How Pandemic
Changed Teenage Brains
Dec 3, 2022 5:45 PM CST
Scans Show How Pandemic Changed Teenage Brains
Researchers find young brains aged more than they would have during shutdown
- The toll the pandemic shutdown took on teenagers has been documented before, but now a study has reported the changes it's made to young brains. The researchers had taken MRI scans of 220 children ages 9 to 13 eight years ago, intending to take new scans every two years...
Lockdown in City
Nov 26, 2022 2:25 PM CST
After Protests, China Relaxes Lockdown in City
Anger over fatal fire leads to demonstrations in Xinjiang
- Authorities in China's western Xinjiang region opened up some neighborhoods in the capital of Urumqi on Saturday after residents held extraordinary late-night demonstrations against the city's draconian "zero-COVID" lockdown that had lasted more than three months. The displays of public defiance were fanned by anger over a...
Lost Jobs Are Back,
but California Still Frets
Nov 19, 2022 1:30 PM CST
Lost Jobs Are Back, but California Still Frets
Layoffs in tech sector lead list of concerns
- California said Friday it had recovered all of the 2.7 million jobs it lost at the start of the pandemic, a moment that normally would celebrate the end of a downturn but instead was tempered by signs of a wobbly economy marked by layoffs in the state's historically...
Shanghai Disney Visitors Just
Got an Unpleasant Surprise
Oct 31, 2022 11:53 AM CDT
Shanghai Disney Visitors Just Got an Unpleasant Surprise
Park closed indefinitely on Monday, and guests inside can't leave till they show negative COVID test
- An NPR headline from early Monday morning notes that, due to COVID, Shanghai Disney and its adjacent shopping community will be closed indefinitely from Halloween on forward. What that headline fails to mention is that all the visitors at the theme park when officials decided to abruptly close the gates...
One Theory on the Big Jump
in Workers With Disabilities
Oct 26, 2022 10:50 AM CDT
One Theory on the Big Jump in Workers With Disabilities
Fed report suggests long COVID is the driver
- Take a look at Axios' chart of how many disabled Americans are in the US workforce, and you'll see a decade where the number mostly fell between 4 million and 5 million. But since 2020 it's been a steady climb from just below 5 million to 5.73...
Test Scores for US
Students Are 'Appalling'
Oct 24, 2022 11:05 AM CDT
Test Scores for US Students Are 'Appalling'
Drops recorded in math and reading, and the pandemic is blamed
- A federal assessment of US students known as the "nation's report card" is out, and the results are pretty bleak. Scores are down in reading and math—especially math—across the country, with the pandemic blamed for wreaking havoc on education. Details:
The National Assessment of
Raise Risk of
Oct 19, 2022 4:18 PM CDT
Melting Glaciers Raise Risk of 'Viral Spillover'
Warming could make the Arctic 'fertile ground for emerging pandemics'
- The melting of Arctic glaciers could be terrible news for humanity in more ways than one, researchers say. Beyond rising sea levels, the melting raises the risk that long-frozen viruses could cause a new pandemic, researchers say in a study published in the journal
Proceedings of the Royal Society B
CDC to Shift on
Oct 7, 2022 1:05 PM CDT
CDC to Shift on COVID Reporting
Agency to switch from daily to weekly counts of cases, deaths later this month
- The daily COVID-19 case counts offered by the CDC for more than two years are about to end. The agency said Thursday that it will move to weekly counts starting Oct. 20. The CDC, which previously shifted to weekly reporting of vaccinations, said the move would "allow for additional...
New Estimate of Theft From
Sep 22, 2022 7:35 PM CDT
New Estimate of Theft From Unemployment: $45.6B
Pandemic crimes prosecutor calls it 'unprecedented fraud'
- The federal government has a revised estimate of the amount of money the US unemployment insurance program lost through fraud during the pandemic: $45.6 billion. Criminals collected the money between March 2020 and April 2022 through such tactics as using the Social Security numbers of dead people, CNN reports....
Sep 21, 2022 8:08 AM CDT
Panel: Most Adults Should Get Screened for Anxiety
Recommendation for all adults under 65 comes after pandemic toll on Americans' mental health
- In April, the US Preventive Services Task Force recommended health screenings for kids and teens ages 8 to 18. Now, the independent panel of experts is making that same call for all adults under the age of 65, in what HealthDay News notes is a nod to the fact that...
For First Time Since 2019,
Oktoberfest Taps Its Kegs
Sep 17, 2022 8:29 AM CDT
For First Time Since 2019, Oktoberfest Taps Its Kegs
German beer fest in Munich was canceled in 2020, 2021 due to coronavirus pandemic
- The beer is flowing at Munich's world-famous Oktoberfest for the first time since 2019. With three knocks of a hammer and the traditional cry of "O'zapft is!" ("It's tapped!"), Mayor Dieter Reiter inserted the tap in the first keg at noon local...
During the Pandemic,
Child Poverty Rate Plummeted
Sep 14, 2022 8:45 AM CDT
During the Pandemic, Child Poverty Rate Plummeted
More than 5M people emerged from poverty thanks to enhanced child tax credit
- In 1993, the US child poverty rate came in at almost 28%, but last year, it fell to just 5.2%—a "stunning stat" that equates to a more than 80% drop over those three decades, per Axios . According to Census Bureau data released Tuesday, the 2021 figure also...
Consequence for Kids
Sep 7, 2022 10:40 AM CDT
Researchers Reveal 'Devastating' COVID Consequence for Kids
It's estimated that 10.5M children lost parent, caregiver to disease during pandemic
- Last year, numbers emerged showing an estimated 5.2 million children had lost a parent or caregiver to COVID through October. Now, a "heartbreaking" update on that toll, per a new global study that finds almost 8 million kids 18 and under were left grieving one or both parents...
'Nation's Report Card' Offers
'Sobering' Pandemic Update
Sep 1, 2022 8:14 AM CDT
'Nation's Report Card' Offers 'Sobering' Pandemic Update
Kids' math, reading scores took an unprecedented hit over the past 2 years
- It's undisputed that kids had a rough time of it during the pandemic. Now, results from national tests show just how rough, at least in terms of how their academic skills have suffered. The "nation's report card"—ie, the National Assessment of Educational Progress—was released...
They Claimed 'New World Order'
on COVID; Judge Hit Them Hard
Aug 31, 2022 8:10 AM CDT
They Claimed 'New World Order' on COVID; Judge Hit Them Hard
Anti-vaxxers fueled by conspiracy theories must pay Aussie federal, state gov'ts $150K in legal fees
- Every Australian state except for one, as well as one territory and the nation's federal government, is set to recoup tens of thousands of dollars in legal fees after a federal judge ruled against an anti-vaxxer group, saying the members had failed to prove their claims that COVID mandates...
Vehicle Deaths on US Roads
Climb for 7th Straight Quarter
Aug 17, 2022 4:26 PM CDT
Vehicle Deaths on US Roads Climb for 7th Straight Quarter
Safety advocates suggest a change in focus
- Many drivers fell into unsafe habits when the COVID-19 pandemic arrived, such as taking advantage of less congested roads to increase speeds. "When everyday life came to a halt in March 2020, risky behaviors skyrocketed and traffic fatalities spiked," the head of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration...
After Botched 'Big Moment,'
CDC Leader to Make Changes
Aug 17, 2022 12:40 PM CDT
After Botched 'Big Moment,' CDC Leader to Make Changes
Dr. Rochelle Walensky announces an agency reset
- If you thought the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention botched some things during the COVID pandemic, the head of the CDC agrees with you. Dr. Rochelle Walensky on Wednesday announced that big changes are required and would be instituted in order to allow the agency to better respond to...
Tried to Lock
Everyone In an Ikea.
Aug 15, 2022 8:00 AM CDT
Health Officials Tried to Lock Everyone In an Ikea. Then, Chaos
Patrons bust out of Shanghai store after lockdown due to customer's close contact with COVID patient
- Usually when it's closing time at a store, patrons calmly make their final purchases and exit. The scene was a bit more chaotic over the weekend at an Ikea in Shanghai after health authorities tried to lock everyone inside following a coronavirus report tied to one of the customers....
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Woman, 29, Arrested After Enrolling at NJ High School
Five Fired Memphis Cops Are Charged With Murder
The Suspects in Calif. Shootings Are 'Particularly Stunning'
Popular Disney Ride Has Closed, and It's Getting 'Weird'
Lawsuit: Woman, 97, Froze to Death in View of Facility's Security Cameras
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.