Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Robert Kraft Has One Last
Request of Tom Brady
Feb 2, 2023 10:05 AM CST
Robert Kraft Has One Last Request of Tom Brady
Patriots owner wants QB to sign a one-day contract and retire as a Patriot
- Might Tom Brady un-retire
? Maybe, but not to take the field once more. New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft suggested Thursday on CNN that Brady sign a one-day contract so he could retire as a Patriot. "Not only do I want it, our fans are clamoring for it,...
One Year After 'Retiring,'
Tom Brady Says It's for Real
Feb 1, 2023 7:58 AM CST
One Year After 'Retiring,' Tom Brady Says It's for Real
Announcement comes exactly one year after last retirement announcement
- Tom Brady says he's finally at the end of the road. The 45-year-old announced he is retiring after 23 years in the NFL in a video posted Wednesday to social media. ESPN reports the news comes exactly one year after Brady last announced his retirement on Feb. 1, 2022;...
10 Best States to Retire
Jan 23, 2023 1:04 PM CST
10 Best States to Retire
Virginia tops the list, with Kentucky coming in last
- The big question for most most people is
to retire. But WalletHub suggests that
to retire should not be overlooked, either. The site ranked the states on three senior-centric factors—affordability, quality of life, and health care—and found that Virginia came in at No. 1 overall, while...
Big Changes on Horizon
for Your 401(k)
Dec 22, 2022 11:27 AM CST
Big Changes on Horizon for Your 401(k)
Congress is poised to pass legislation on retirement savings
- The massive spending package that Congress is poised to pass before Friday includes tangible changes for ordinary Americans when it comes to retirement savings—particularly 401(k) savings. Some of the proposed changes as part of the Secure Act 2.0 legislation:
Most employers would be required to automatically enroll
Draft Pick Retires:
of My Life'
Dec 16, 2022 1:02 PM CST
Young NBA Draft Pick Retires: 'Darkest Times of My Life'
Tyrell Terry, 22, 2020 draft pick for Mavericks, says severe anxiety made him lose his love of the game
- In 2020, Tyrell Terry was drafted by the NBA's Dallas Mavericks with the 31st overall pick, after playing one year for the Stanford Cardinal team as a guard. Now, following just two years in the pros, the young basketball player is retiring, saying he's lost his love of...
Guideline for Retirement
Spending Returns to 4%
Dec 12, 2022 2:42 PM CST
Guideline for Retirement Spending Returns to 4%
Or pretty close: Morningstar's annual advisory suggests new retirees withdraw 3.8%
- New retirees who want to ensure their money lasts for 30 years should plan on spending about 4% of it in their first year. The financial services company Morningstar issued its annual advisory Monday, and it recommends a starting withdrawal rate of 3.8%, reports the
Wall Street Journal
IRS Announces Record
Boost for 401(k) Infusions
Oct 21, 2022 5:35 PM CDT
IRS Announces Record Boost for 401(k) Infusions
For 2023, you can deposit $22,500 to qualified retirement plans—up to $30K for those 50 and over
- Good news for those who want to pump more money into their retirement savings: The IRS just raised the contribution limit on 401(k) plans for 2023, as well as for similar tax-deferred plans for public education workers, federal and state employees, and those who work for tax-exempt groups. That new...
Is Packing It In
Sep 15, 2022 9:50 AM CDT
Roger Federer Is Packing It In
Tennis star says he's retiring from 'an incredible adventure' after next week's Laver Cup
- At 41, Roger Federer is ready to hang up his racket. The 20-time Grand Slam champion announced Thursday that he'll retire from professional tennis after one final event: next week's Laver Cup, which will be his first competitive play in 14 months. "As many of you know,...
10 Best, Worst
Places to Retire
Sep 10, 2022 10:48 AM CDT
10 Best, Worst Places to Retire
Charleston, SC, ranks first in WalletHub list
- Those looking to relocate in retirement have a host of factors to consider, including affordability, health care, activities, and overall quality of life. In a new ranking, WalletHub assessed all of the above to rank 182 metro areas in the US. Here are the top and bottom 10:
Anthony Fauci, Still Reviled
on Right, Is Stepping Down
Aug 22, 2022 10:37 AM CDT
Anthony Fauci, Still Reviled on Right, Is Stepping Down
Doctor, 81, has led his government agency for nearly 40 years
- Anthony Fauci has hinted his retirement was coming soon , and on Monday he gave it a date: The longtime scientific adviser to American presidents will retire from his government post in December. "So long as I'm healthy, which I am, and I'm energetic, which I am, and...
Aug 9, 2022 9:07 AM CDT
Serena Williams 'Evolving Away From Tennis'
Tennis great is sounding like she's retiring, looking to focus on her family and business ventures
- Serena Williams says she's ready to step away from tennis after winning 23 Grand Slam titles, turning her focus to her business interests and having another child, reports the AP . "I'm turning 41 ... and something's got to give," Williams wrote in an essay released Tuesday...
NBC Mainstay Who Covered
Supreme Court to Retire
May 19, 2022 5:50 PM CDT
NBC Mainstay Who Covered Supreme Court to Retire
Pete Williams was Pentagon spokesperson before joining the network in 1993
- Pete Williams, an NBC News correspondent for 29 years who regularly appeared on camera quickly to report on major US Supreme Court decisions, is retiring from the network. "For generations of NBC News reporters, working alongside Pete has been a daily masterclass in journalism," NBC News President Noah...
Cite Concerns on
Apr 15, 2022 12:57 PM CDT
Lawmakers Cite Concerns on Feinstein's Memory, She Balks
'I'm rather puzzled,' 88-year-old Dem senator says of 'Chronicle' report on her mental acuity
- Dianne Feinstein is pushing back on a report that her memory is fading and she may be mentally unfit to continue serving in the US Senate—concerns voiced even by fellow Democrats. On Thursday, the
San Francisco Chronicle
published those concerns from ex-staffers, four senators (three of them Democrats), and...
Most Decorated US Runner
Is Making This Her Last Season
Apr 14, 2022 9:50 AM CDT
Most Decorated US Runner Is Making This Her Last Season
It 'isn't about the time on the clock, it's simply about joy,' Allyson Felix says
- Allyson Felix, who closed the Tokyo Games last year with more Olympic medals than any US track and field athlete in history, says she'll retire after the 2022 season. "This season isn't about the time on the clock, it's simply about joy," Felix said in...
on NPS. Now,
Retirement at 100
Apr 2, 2022 9:15 AM CDT
She Made 'Profound Impact' on NPS. Now, Retirement at 100
Betty Reid Soskin, US' oldest active park ranger, clocked out for last time at Calif.'s Home Front park
- The nation's oldest active park ranger is hanging up her Smokey hat at the age of 100. Betty Reid Soskin retired Thursday after more than 15 years at the Rosie the Riveter WWII Home Front National Historical Park in Richmond, Calif., the National Park Service announced, per the AP...
Apr 1, 2022 1:14 PM CDT
Jim Carrey: 'I've Done Enough'
Actor, 60, tells 'Access Hollywood' he's retiring after new 'Sonic the Hedgehog' film comes out
- Jim Carrey is just one of the many , many , many , many people who've weighed in this week about the Will Smith-Chris Rock kerfuffle (and he's also taking some flak for his thoughts), but the
Dumb and Dumber
actor is now making headlines for a very...
She's No. 1
Calling It Quits
Mar 23, 2022 7:11 AM CDT
She's No. 1 in Tennis—and Calling It Quits
25-year-old Ashleigh Barty of Australia retires at the top of her game
- The top-ranked women’s singles tennis player is retiring at the ripe old age of 25. "Today is difficult and filled with emotion for me as I announce my retirement from tennis," Australia's Ashleigh Barty wrote Wednesday on Instagram. "It's hard to say but I'...
Who's Going to Let Us
Know Who the Father Is Now?
Mar 21, 2022 11:50 AM CDT
Who's Going to Let Us Know Who the Father Is Now?
Maury Povich's talk show, which became famous for its paternity test results, ends its 30-year-plus run
- Since 1991, Maury Povich has used his daytime talk show to delve into uncommon phobias , suss out cheaters, and, perhaps most famously, convince guests to take paternity tests to figure out who is and isn't the father of various children born of current and former partners. Now Povich is...
Tom Brady Throws a Wrench
Into Retirement Party Plans
Jan 29, 2022 3:10 PM CST
Tom Brady Throws a Wrench Into Retirement Party Plans
Buccaneers, quarterback's father say the star hasn't decided anything yet
: Maybe Tom Brady will play till he's 50 after all. After reports Saturday not just from news and sports outlets but from the NFL and Brady's company, TB12 Sports, that the 44-year-old quarterback had decided to retire, Brady contradicted everyone. His coach, Bruce Arians, told a
Retires After 18 Seasons
Jan 27, 2022 10:04 AM CST
Steelers' Roethlisberger Retires After 18 Seasons
'Big Ben' leaving the game at 39
- Big Ben is out. Longtime Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said Thursday that he's retiring after 18 seasons, reports CNN . "The time has come to clean out my locker, hang up my cleats, and continue to be all I can be to my wife and children," the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
China Responds to Balloon Hit, but Its Options Are Limited
Missing Missouri Children Found in Florida Supermarket
Hashtag 'Died Suddenly' Is Up 740% in 2 Months
Watch Fighter Jet Take Down China's Balloon
Women Are Suffering Unnecessarily From Menopause
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.