Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
The Coronavirus Pandemic
Confirmed US cases: 5,244,000+ »
Read our complete coverage here »
Stories 1 - 20 |
Horse Interfered With in Kentucky Wins Preakness
War of Will didn't relent down the stretch
- War of Will bounced back from a bumpy ride in the Kentucky Derby to win the Preakness Stakes on Saturday, holding off a field that included a riderless horse that threw his jockey out of the gate and still finished the race, the AP reports. Trainer Mark Casse got his...
One More Bit of Bad News for Horse Racing Fans
No chance of Triple Crown: Derby winner Country House won't run in Preakness
- The odds of a Triple Crown winner sank considerably when Maximum Security was disqualified at the Kentucky Derby. Now, they've disappeared entirely. Derby winner Country House—named the winner after the disqualification—will not run in the Preakness, reports the Daily Racing Form . It quotes trainer Bill Mott as...
We Now Have a Triple Crown Contender
Justify wins Preakness, will try to complete feat June 9
- Justify emerged from the fog and sloshed his way to another victory, holding off several hard-charging challengers to win the Preakness on Saturday and keep alive the chance for trainer Bob Baffert's second Triple Crown champion in four years. On a sloppy track similar to the conditions in the...
2 Horses Die, Jockey Injured in Early Preakness Day Races
One horse died moments after winning its race
- In a tragic start to Preakness day, two horses died and a jockey broke a collarbone after a spill on a damp, rainy Saturday at Pimlico Race Course in Baltimore, the AP reports. A horse named Pramedya broke down around the turn in the fourth race and tumbled to the...
2 Down, 1 to Go: American Pharoah Wins Again
Takes Preakness, will go for Triple Crown at Belmont
- The Belmont Stakes in three weeks just got a lot more interesting. American Pharoah won the Preakness today, just as he did the Kentucky Derby. Now he's just one victory away from the Triple Crown. No horse has done that since Affirmed in 1978. Jockey Victor Espinoza again rode...
California Chrome Owner: Tonalist Took 'Coward's Way Out'
Horses shouldn't be allowed to crash Belmont with fresh legs, says Steve Coburn
- Let us just say that California Chrome's co-owner isn't taking his pony's lost Triple Crown bid lightly or gracefully. Immediately after his colt placed fourth in yesterday's Belmont Stakes , Steve Coburn blasted Tonalist as having taken "the coward's way out" to victory—that is,...
California Chrome Will Run After All
NY Racing Association OKs colt's nasal strip
- California Chrome will indeed make his run—nasal strip and all—to be the first Triple Crown winner in 36 years, reports ESPN . The New York Racing Association said today it would allow the winner of the Kentucky Derby and Preakness Stakes to also use the strip in the Belmont...
Triple Crown Bid's Undoing: Nasal Strip?
New York has blocked previous horses from using nasal strips
- California Chrome might abandon his Triple Crown bid if New York officials do not allow the colt to wear a nasal strip in the Belmont Stakes, said trainer Art Sherman today. "I'd have to leave it up to the owners. I know they'll be upset." The...
California Chrome Now One Win From History
Wins Preakness, will go for Triple Crown
- California Chrome won the Preakness today to keep alive his bid to capture horse racing's Triple Crown. As a follow-up to his victory in the Kentucky Derby, trainer Art Sherman's horse justified his stature as the overwhelming favorite by outrunning Ride On Curlin to the finish today. Ridden...
No Triple Crown: Oxbow Wins Preakness
Kentucky Derby winner Orb is fourth
- Oxbow won the Preakness today, ruining Orb's bid to capture the Triple Crown. Oxbow led from start to finish in the race, which ended up being the sixth Preakness victory for Hall of Fame trainer D. Wayne Lukas and his 15th Triple Crown victory, the most in horse-racing history....
39 Years Later, Secretariat Nabs Preakness Record
Racehorse now holds records for all 3 Triple Crown races
- Legendary racehorse Secretariat has notched a posthumous victory: The Maryland Racing Commission says he did indeed set a race record at the Preakness in 1973 , making him the record holder for all three Triple Crown events. Owner Penny Chenery, now 90, championed the effort for official recognition of the horse'...
Under Review: Secretariat’s Preakness Time
Electronic timer at Pimlico might have shorted the champ a record run
- About 40 years after Secretariat ran away with the Triple Crown, the long-dead stallion is getting a chance to break—or at least tie—another record, reports Bloomberg . The Maryland Racing Commission is reviewing his 1973 Preakness victory at the request of owner Penny Chenery to see if video technology...
I'll Have Another Wins Preakness
Bodemeister loses down the stretch in repeat of Kentucky Derby
- I'll Have Another overtook Bodemeister down the straight to win the Preakness Stakes and keep alive his hopes of winning the US Triple Crown. In a race that was a virtual repeat of the Kentucky Derby, I'll Have Another raced from behind today to beat pace-setter Bodemeister, who...
No Triple Crown: Shackleford Wins Preakness
Animal Kingdom comes up short after late charge
- No Triple Crown again this year: Shackleford won today's Preakness Stakes at Pimlico. He fended off a late charge by Kentucky Derby winner Animal Kingdom, who finished just a half-length behind, ahead of third-place finisher Astrology. Shackleford also ran in the Derby, but he finished fourth after leading most...
Derby, Preakness Champs Will Skip the Belmont
Super Saver, Lookin at Lucky will sit out third leg of Triple Crown
- The Kentucky Derby and Preakness winners will not run in the third leg of the Triple Crown, the June 5 Belmont Stakes, their trainers said today. Lookin at Lucky's victory in yesterday's Preakness made 2011 the 32nd straight year without a Triple Crown winner, notes
USA Today .
It also took...
Lookin At Lucky Wins Preakness (Over First Dude)
Derby winner Super Saver didn't finish in the money
- The Triple Crown will go unclaimed for another year. Lookin at Lucky won the Preakness today, denying Kentucky Derby winner Super Saver (who didn't finish in the money) a shot at the honor. Jockey Martin Garcia guided Lookin at Lucky down the stretch to a close victory over First Dude...
Preakness Winner Rachel Alexandra Won't Run in Belmont
- Preakness winner Rachel Alexandra will not run in the Belmont Stakes, opening the way for jockey Calvin Borel to return to Kentucky Derby winner Mine That Bird in his quest for a personal Triple Crown. Co-owner Jess Jackson said today the filly "deserves a well-earned vacation."
Rachel Alexandra Blows by Boys at Preakness
- Filly Rachel Alexandra held off Kentucky Derby winner Mine That Bird to win the 134th Preakness Stakes today and become the first female horse to win the race since 1924. Calvin Borel, who rode Mine that Bird to victory 2 weeks ago at Churchill Downs, had the filly in first...
Mine That Bird's Ex-Jockey Says Filly Will Smoke Him
- Kentucky Derby winner Mine That Bird has no chance of beating the Preakness favorite, filly Rachel Alexandra, says her jockey Calvin Borel. Borel ought to know; he’s the one who rode Bird to victory, before jumping ship to Alexandra, the
reports. “I don’t think he...
Triple Crown Bid Means Millions for Belmont
- The New York Racing Association has a lot riding on the outcome of tomorrow’s Preakness, Bloomberg reports. If Kentucky Derby winner Mine That Bird prevails, the resulting Triple Crown shot at Belmont could bring the association, which operates New York's three thoroughbred tracks, an extra $3 million in ticket,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Fox Host: 'Something's Going to Happen' to Biden
After Trump Complaint, Feds Plan to Change Shower Rules
Kamala Harris' Stepkids Have a Fitting Name for Her
Now Waterfalls Are Flowing the Other Way
Woodward Gets His Hands on 25 'Personal' Trump-Kim Letters
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Get our apps
Suggest a Story
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.