Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Read recent Syrian news stories and current events on Newser.com
Stories 1 - 20 |
Carvings Reveal Multicultural
Procession of Ancient Gods
May 16, 2022 7:20 PM CDT
Carvings Reveal Multicultural Procession of Ancient Gods
Archaeologists say the carvings suggest an unexpected melding of cultures
- “I felt as if I was in a ritual when I was confronted by the very expressive eyes and majestic serious face of the storm god Hadad,” Dr. Mehmet Önal told the
New York Times,
describing his feelings as he viewed a “procession of almond-eyed deities”...
ISIS Captive's Letter to Dad
Leaves Courtroom in 'Tears'
Apr 7, 2022 10:10 AM CDT
ISIS Captive's Letter to Dad Leaves Courtroom in 'Tears'
Peter Kassig, killed in 2014, wrote that his last thought would be of the love of his parents
- If Peter Kassig was true to his word, the only thought running through his mind as he was beheaded by Islamic State terrorists was how much his parents loved him. Ed Kassig, the father of the US aid worker who was taken hostage in Syria in 2013 and killed a...
He Dug a Mass Grave. Then an
Ice Cream Truck Showed Up
Mar 16, 2022 11:40 AM CDT
He Dug a Mass Grave. Then an Ice Cream Truck Showed Up
'NYT' reports on 2 mass gravesites in Syria, which could hold evidence of war crimes
- The murdered dissidents of Syrian leader Bashar al-Assad ended up in mass graves, which could hold evidence of war crimes, the
New York Times
reports after speaking with four men who claim to have worked around two mass gravesites near Damascus, which the
located using satellite images. Each one...
Bringing in 'Volunteer'
Fighters From Syria
Mar 11, 2022 11:22 AM CST
Putin Approves Bringing in 'Volunteer' Fighters From Syria
US officials say Russia is recruiting fighters trained in urban combat from Middle East
- Last week, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky announced that an "international legion" of 16,000 volunteers had offered to come to his nation to help fight off invading Russian forces. Now, Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Shoigu is claiming that an equal number of volunteers from the Middle East are stepping...
Kansas Mom of 5
Jihadist Denied Bail
Feb 4, 2022 1:29 AM CST
Kansas Mom of 5 Turned Alleged Jihadist Denied Bail
Allison Fluke-Ekren is charged with aiding a terrorist organization
The so-called "all-American girl" turned alleged jihadist was denied bail during a court appearance in Virginia Thursday, the BBC reports. The judge said factors including the safety of the local community are considered during bond hearings, and Allison Fluke-Ekren did not contest the order to remain in custody...
ISIS Leader Died Same Way
as His Predecessor
Feb 3, 2022 2:35 PM CST
ISIS Leader Died Same Way as His Predecessor
US says Abu Ibrahim al-Qurayshi deliberately blew himself up amid raid
- An overnight raid in Syria by US special-operations forces resulted in the death of the Islamic State's leader, but it wasn't American forces who killed Abu Ibrahim al-Hashimi al-Qurayshi. The US says the ISIS commander detonated a bomb as the raid unfolded at his compound, deliberately blowing himself...
Biden: We Killed ISIS
Leader in Syrian Raid
Feb 3, 2022 7:15 AM CST
Biden: We Killed ISIS Leader in Syrian Raid
President says strike took out Abu Ibrahim al-Hashimi al-Qurayshi
A US special forces raid in northwestern Syria early Thursday killed the top leader of the Islamic State group, Abu Ibrahim al-Hashimi al-Qurayshi, President Biden said. “Thanks to the skill and bravery of our Armed Forces, we have taken off the battlefield Abu Ibrahim al-Hashimi al-Qurayshi—the leader...
ISIS Stormed a Prison. There
Are Hundreds of Boys Inside
Jan 26, 2022 11:00 AM CST
ISIS Stormed a Prison. There Are Hundreds of Boys Inside
Siege on Gweiran Prison shines a light on the children's plight
- A distressing series of voice notes sent by an Australian teen from a prison in northeast Syria underscores the plight of thousands of forgotten children who remain trapped in detention facilities in Syria and Iraq. Hundreds of minors (Human Rights Watch estimates 600 boys) are believed to be holed up...
She Left the US to Join
ISIS. Now, a SCOTUS Decision
Jan 13, 2022 7:50 AM CST
She Left the US to Join ISIS. Now, a SCOTUS Decision
Supreme Court won't hear appeal of Hoda Muthana, who went to Syria in 2014, wants to come back
She was born in New Jersey and raised in Alabama, but it looks like Hoda Muthana won't be going back to either anytime soon. On Monday, the US Supreme Court refused, without comment, to hear an appeal from the 27-year-old—who'd left Alabama to join the Islamic...
Ex-Secret Police Officer Guilty
of Crimes Against Humanity
Jan 13, 2022 4:31 AM CST
Ex-Secret Police Officer Guilty of Crimes Against Humanity
Syrian man was convicted in German court
- A German court has convicted a former Syrian secret police officer of crimes against humanity for overseeing the abuse of detainees at a jail near Damascus a decade ago. The verdict Thursday in the landmark trial has been keenly anticipated by Syrians who suffered abuse or lost relatives at the...
Syria's Biggest Export
May Surprise You
Dec 6, 2021 3:09 PM CST
Syria's Biggest Export May Surprise You
'New York Times' alleges that Syria is a 'narcostate' pumping out amphetamine captagon
- Last week, Syrian authorities trumpeted the seizure of a large cache of illegal amphetamine pills known as captagon and said an investigation was underway to figure out where the pills came from, notes the AP . Now, an investigation by the
New York Times
may provide the answer: The Syrian government...
Convicted Arsonists Are
Executed En Masse in Syria
Oct 22, 2021 10:10 AM CDT
Convicted Arsonists Are Executed En Masse in Syria
Human rights activists 'shocked' that 24 were put to death for 2020 wildfires
- Wildfires that swept through Syria last year were intentionally lit, and now 24 individuals linked to setting them have been executed, per the country's Ministry of Justice. Al Jazeera notes that while executions aren't uncommon in Syria, so many being killed at once is unusual. It's not...
Biden Orders Airstrikes
in Iraq, Syria
Jun 28, 2021 6:12 AM CDT
Biden Orders Airstrikes in Iraq, Syria
Targeting Iran-backed militias
- The US military, under the direction of President Biden, has conducted airstrikes against what it said were “facilities used by Iran-backed militia groups” near the border between Iraq and Syria. Pentagon Press Secretary John Kirby said the militias were using the facilities to launch unmanned aerial vehicle attacks against...
Israel Strikes Syria After
Missile Lands Near Reactor
Apr 22, 2021 12:07 AM CDT
Israel Strikes Syria After Missile Lands Near Reactor
Israeli media called it an 'errant' projectile
- A Syrian anti-aircraft missile landed in southern Israel early Thursday, setting off air raid sirens near the country's top-secret nuclear reactor, the Israeli military said. In response, it said it attacked the missile launcher and air-defense systems in neighboring Syria. It marked one of the most serious incidents of...
They Found Safety in Denmark.
Now They're Told to Go
Apr 14, 2021 1:32 PM CDT
They Found Safety in Denmark. Now They're Told to Go
Denmark becomes first EU country to revoke Syrians' residence permits
- "I'm not a danger. I'm not a criminal." You might be inclined to agree. What Ghalia al-Asseh
is a chemistry and biotechnology student at the Technical University of Denmark, the country in which she has lived since fleeing Syria with her family in 2015. Now,...
In War-Torn Syria,
the President Tests Positive
Mar 8, 2021 8:02 AM CST
In War-Torn Syria, the President Tests Positive
Syria's Bashar Assad and his wife have COVID
- Syrian President Bashar Assad and his wife have tested positive for the coronavirus, the president's office said Monday, per the AP . Both were tested after experiencing mild symptoms, says the statement, which adds that Assad, 55, and his wife, Asma, who is 10 years younger, were in "good...
'We Know What
We Hit' in Syria
Feb 26, 2021 6:44 AM CST
Defense Chief: 'We Know What We Hit' in Syria
Lloyd Austin says he recommended airstrikes to Biden
- "I'm confident in the target that we went after, we know what we hit," Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin told reporters Thursday after the US launched airstrikes in Syria , targeting facilities near the Iraqi border used by Iranian-backed militia groups. The Pentagon said the strikes, Biden's first...
US Airstrike Hits Syria Target
Tied to Iran-Backed Militias
Feb 25, 2021 7:05 PM CST
US Airstrike Hits Syria Target Tied to Iran-Backed Militias
Attack is first military action taken under Biden
- President Biden ordered an airstrike in Syria on Thursday, after recent rocket attacks launched on US forces in Iraq. The target was a structure thought to be used for smuggling weapons by two Shia militias backed by Iran, CNN reports. The goal of the US attack was to hurt the...
A Ruling Against a 'Small Fish'
Is Being Hailed as Historic
Feb 24, 2021 2:05 PM CST
A Ruling Against a 'Small Fish' Is Being Hailed as Historic
Germany for first time convicts Syrian regime officer of crimes against humanity
- A landmark decision in Koblenz, Germany, on Wednesday marks the first time a court outside of Syria has ruled in a case involving officials with Bashar al-Assad's regime who are accused of committing crimes against humanity. The
calls it "a historic first victory for efforts worldwide to...
Boy Was Forced
Trump. Now, 'It's
All Behind Me'
Nov 23, 2020 10:40 AM CST
Boy Was Forced to Threaten Trump. Now, 'It's All Behind Me'
Matthew, now 13, was just 10 when stepfather made him appear in ISIS propaganda video
- In April 2015, an 8-year-old American boy named Matthew was dragged into Syria by his mother, Samantha Sally, and stepfather, Moussa Elhassani, with Elhassani determined to become a sniper for the Islamic State. Five years later, Matthew is 13 and back in the US, and he's now telling the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Conway Spills on George, Kushner, Trump in New Book
She Was the City's Only Doctor. Russians Put a Bag Over Her Head
Russian Diplomat: I'm 'So Ashamed'
Cyclist Accused of Killing Fellow Rider Is at Large
Destructive Jumping Worms Are Now in California
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.