Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Band of Brothers
Last of the "Band of Brothers"
Dead at 99
Dec 5, 2021 5:45 AM CST
Last of the "Band of Brothers" Dead at 99
Edward Shames and "Easy Company" helped inspire book and HBO series
- Edward Shames, a World War II veteran who was the last surviving officer of “Easy Company,” which inspired the HBO miniseries and book “Band of Brothers,” has died, per the AP . He was 99. An obituary posted by the Holomon-Brown Funeral Home & Crematory said...
Man Who Famously Fought Off
the Nazis Has Died
Oct 2, 2017 3:13 AM CDT
Man Who Famously Fought Off the Nazis Has Died
Easy Company's Donald Malarkey was 96
- Donald Malarkey, a World War II paratrooper who was awarded the Bronze Star after parachuting behind enemy lines at Normandy to destroy German artillery on D-Day, has died. He was 96. Malarkey was one of several members of "Easy Company" portrayed in the HBO miniseries
Band of Brothers
to Amazon Prime
Apr 23, 2014 11:33 AM CDT
(Some) HBO Shows Headed to Amazon Prime
Sorry, no 'Game of Thrones'
- Soon, Amazon Prime customers will be able to stream HBO shows—but before you get too excited, be warned that the announcement mostly applies to older programs.
Game of Thrones
isn't part of the exclusive deal, though seasons of shows like
will appear some three years...
Band of Brothers'
'Wild Bill' Dies
Mar 10, 2014 4:29 AM CDT
Band of Brothers' 'Wild Bill' Dies
He fought for 'Easy Company' during and after WWII
- William "Wild Bill" Guarnere was lucky to survive 70 minutes after a combat jump into Normandy on D-Day, let alone almost 70 years. Guarnere, who has died at the age of 90 and who was part of the "Band of Brothers" celebrated in an HBO miniseries, landed in...
OK, Tom Hanks,
Get Off WWII Already
Mar 27, 2010 12:00 PM CDT
OK, Tom Hanks, Get Off WWII Already
Private Ryan , Band of Brothers, The Pacific ... yeesh
- Please, please, please, Tom Hanks, no more World War II stuff, OK? That plea is from Brian Donovan, who points out that, among
Saving Private Ryan
Band of Brothers
, “it is entirely possible that Tom Hanks has spent more time making entertainment about World War II...
Jul 10, 2008 4:31 PM CDT
HBO's miniseries captures soldiers in 'their unfettered, foul-mouthed glory'
- From the mean streets of Baltimore to the meaner ones of Baghdad, the force behind
scores a direct hit with HBO's new
, writes Brian Lowry for
. Following a cast of Marines during the Iraqi invasion’s first 40 days, the 7-episode miniseries may make you...
Popular on Newser
Researchers May Have Found Anne Frank's Betrayer
'Inexcusable' Assignment at Middle School Spurs Outrage
Skier May Face Manslaughter Charges After Deadly Collision
Airlines Have a Dire Warning on 5G Rollout
Mass Killer Gives Nazi Salute at Parole Hearing
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.