Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Bids on This Banksy Art
'Escalated Quickly,' for a Cause
Mar 29, 2022 2:30 PM CDT
Bids on This Banksy Art 'Escalated Quickly,' for a Cause
Proceeds from 'CND Soldiers,' which sold for $106K, will all go to Kyiv children's hospital
- An unknown donor has sold off a piece of anti-war Banksy art, with the funds raised from the sale earmarked for Ukraine's largest children's hospital. The BBC reports that the UK artist's "CND Soldiers" was auctioned off for just north of $106,000, which will be...
Banksy T-Shirt Supporting
Defendants Draws a Crowd
Dec 11, 2021 2:10 PM CST
Banksy T-Shirt Supporting Defendants Draws a Crowd
Artist puts $33 project on sale before trial over toppling of slave trader's statue
- Hundreds of people lined up Saturday in the English city of Bristol to get the latest work by elusive street artist Banksy—a T-shirt created to help four defendants charged over the toppling of a local statue of a slave trader. The gray shirt features the word Bristol above the...
Ruins an Original Banksy
Nov 11, 2021 4:10 PM CST
Christopher Walken Ruins an Original Banksy
On purpose: Actor painted over a rat in scene from BBC's 'The Outlaws'
- In the series finale of BBC comedy-drama
, a character played by Christopher Walken paints over an image of a rat below the name Banksy. And here is where fiction meets reality: Not only was the mural an original Banksy artwork, but Walken really did destroy it on the...
Shredded Banksy Sells
Way Higher Than Expected
Oct 14, 2021 3:36 PM CDT
Shredded Banksy Sells Way Higher Than Expected
Fetches $25.4M at Sotheby's, compared to $1.4M for un-shredded price
How much for a shredded Banksy? Try $25.4 million. A piece that was deliberately shredded in a prank sold to an anonymous Asian buyer for that amount at Sotheby's in London on Thursday, reports the
Wall Street Journal .
That is way higher than expected.
Our original story
She Was Selling the House.
Then Came the Banksy Mural
Dec 14, 2020 2:55 PM CST
She Was Selling the House. Then Came the Banksy Mural
The artwork complicates things a little
- Banksy's latest mural has delayed a homeowner's plans to sell in England after it recently appeared on the house's exterior wall. The elusive British street artist's piece—titled "Aachoo!!"—depicts an elderly woman sneezing, sending her dentures flying out of her mouth. It'...
It Has Banksy's
Why He Won't
Oct 23, 2020 12:20 PM CDT
It Has Banksy's Signature. Here's Why He Won't Authenticate It
Artwork was taken from a seaside wall, a no-no in the world of Banksy
- A man who appeared on the BBC's
, hoping to hear the value of his Banksy artwork, ended up receiving a rebuke from the show's specialist and Banksy's team. The unidentified man told specialist Rupert Maas that he found the artwork—featuring Banksy's name and...
Banksy Just Suffered
a 'Devastating' Loss
Sep 17, 2020 7:21 AM CDT
Banksy Just Suffered a 'Devastating' Loss
Street artist loses EU trademark fight with greeting card company over his own artwork
- In a desperate move to claim the trademark for one of his most famous works, British street artist Banksy, usually known for floating untethered in anonymity, opened up a shop last fall, hoping to sway European Union judges in his favor. His efforts—deemed a "weakass attempt" by Techdirt...
Tiny Italian Island
Aug 30, 2020 11:10 AM CDT
Refugees Swamp Tiny Italian Island
Protest meets arrivals, as mayor says nation has no plan
- Italy dispatched a coast guard patrol in the Mediterranean Sea to save refugees stranded on a bright pink rescue boat—painted and funded by Banksy, the British street artist. But now there's another problem. The hundreds of evacuees have overwhelmed the shelters on the small island they were ferried...
Banksy on His Migrant Rescue
Boat: 'All Black Lives Matter'
Aug 29, 2020 9:00 AM CDT
Banksy on His Migrant Rescue Boat: 'All Black Lives Matter'
Artist is on a mission to help migrants in distress in Mediterranean Sea, says EU doesn't care
- Street artist Banksy has released a video with a strong political message explaining why he became involved in a search and rescue ship helping migrants in the Mediterranean Sea. "Like most people who make it in the art world, I bought a yacht to cruise the Med," the...
Banksy Weighs In on Lockdown
Jul 15, 2020 7:21 AM CDT
Banksy Weighs In on Lockdown
Coronavirus-themed artwork has since been removed from London train
- New coronavirus-themed artwork from Banksy appeared on the London Underground before it was swiftly removed according to a "strict anti-graffiti policy." A video shared Tuesday on Banksy's social media channels shows a man posing as a professional cleaner aboard a Circle Line train, per the BBC . He...
18 Months After Theft,
Banksy Piece Found in Attic
Jun 11, 2020 8:20 AM CDT
18 Months After Theft, Banksy Piece Found in Attic
Authorities recover mural dedicated to Bataclan victims
- Italian authorities on Thursday unveiled a stolen artwork by the British artist Banksy that was painted as a tribute to the victims of the 2015 terror attacks at the Bataclan music hall in Paris. The L'Aquila prosecutors' office said the work was recovered Wednesday during a search of a...
Banksy Displays His Gratitude
May 7, 2020 7:07 PM CDT
Banksy Displays His Gratitude
English hospital unveils artist's donation
- A new work by the elusive street artist Banksy, honoring health workers, has been unveiled at a British hospital. The framed picture, titled "Game Changer," depicts a young boy sitting on the floor playing with a nurse superhero toy. Batman and Spiderman action figure toys lie in a...
Feb 16, 2020 8:15 AM CST
Banksy Unveiled V-Day Mural; Not Everyone Liked It
Homeowners cover up mural after it's defaced in a very British manner
- The family who owns a house in southwest England where an artwork from Banksy appeared in time for Valentine's Day has covered the mural after it was defaced. Temporary fencing was also added Saturday to the home in Bristol and closed-circuit television has been installed to protect the artwork,...
Politically Charged Nativity
Scene Appears in Bethlehem
Dec 22, 2019 3:30 PM CST
Politically Charged Nativity Scene Appears in Bethlehem
A Banksy piece is displayed at the Walled Off Hotel
- The mysterious street artist known as Banksy has displayed a politically charged Nativity scene in Bethlehem, the town revered as Jesus' birthplace, just in time for the busy Christmas season, the AP reports. The artwork, named "Scar of Bethlehem," depicts the birth of Jesus under Israel's West...
Flooding Swamps Venice,
Including Banksy Creation
Nov 15, 2019 4:30 PM CST
Flooding Swamps Venice, Including Banksy Creation
Forecast calls for waters to recede this weekend
- A state of emergency has been declared in Venice, where basillicas, squares and Banksy artwork are underwater. The historic city is dealing with its worst flooding in more than 50 years, Sky News reports. Italy's government declared the emergency Thursday. "It hurts to see the city so damaged,...
Banksy: This Is Me Getting
Booted From Venice Exhibit
May 23, 2019 11:44 AM CDT
Banksy: This Is Me Getting Booted From Venice Exhibit
No permit, no Biennale display
- Banksy claims he showed up to "the largest and most prestigious art event in the world" and was abruptly kicked out. An Instagram video shared by the British street artist's account Wednesday shows a man—whose face is never seen—setting up a collage of nine oil paintings...
Painting Is Altered
Feb 5, 2019 8:20 AM CST
Banksy's Self-Shredding Painting Is Altered
Germany's Frieder Burda Museum isn't taking any chances
- The first museum to display Banksy's partially shredded canvas has deactivated its self-destructing frame to ensure "Love Is in the Bin" isn't actually thrown in the bin. "We opened up the frame and found the shredder machinery, the battery holders, the wires and satisfied ourselves that...
Banksy Video: My Famous
Oct 18, 2018 6:39 AM CDT
Banksy Video: My Famous Shredder Malfunctioned
New video suggests painting was supposed to be fully destroyed
- It looks like Bansky's shredding stunt at a London auction house might be the most lucrative paper jam in history. A new video from the artist suggests that a hidden shredder was supposed to destroy the entire painting, not leave it partially intact, reports CNN . "In rehearsals it...
Sale Is Still On for Banksy
Painting That Self-Destructed
Oct 11, 2018 4:44 PM CDT
Sale Is Still On for Banksy Painting That Self-Destructed
Buyer says she will 'end up with my own piece of art history'
- The winning bidder for a Banksy painting that self-destructed during an auction last week has decided to go through with the purchase, auctioneer Sotheby's said Thursday. The auction house said a female European collector was the successful bidder, agreeing to pay $1.4 million for "Girl With Balloon....
Banksy's Latest Stunt
May Have Ironic Result
Oct 8, 2018 9:06 AM CDT
Banksy's Latest Stunt May Have Ironic Result
Shredding of print likely increased its value
- "We've just been Banksy'ed." So declared Sotheby's of London on Friday after a bizarre stunt apparently pulled off by the elusive artist himself—one of his prints shredded itself just after being sold at auction for $1.4 million. Banksy has since revealed how the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Only a Whirlwind Can Save Mars Lander
Elite Cyclist Shot, Killed at 25
Planned Fix for Sinking Tower Hits Big Snag
Report: Before Mass Shooting, 15 Accepted Suspect's Invite
Musk Accused of Exposing Himself to Flight Attendant
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.