Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
2 Suspects Killed,
6 Cops Hurt in
Jun 29, 2022 7:15 PM CDT
2 Suspects Killed, 6 Cops Hurt in 'Chaotic, Violent' Bank Robbery
Dozens of shots were fired in BC incident
- Two suspects were shot dead and six police officers were injured in what police describe as a "chaotic, tragic, and violent" attempted bank robbery in British Columbia on Tuesday morning. Police say shooting began outside the Bank of Montreal branch in a largely residential area of Saanich after officers...
The LA Shootout Was Like
Something Straight Out of
May 29, 2022 2:35 PM CDT
The LA Shootout Was Like Something Straight Out of
Mel Magazine goes inside an infamous 1997 bank robbery
- When it comes to Los Angeles bank robbers, Larry Phillips and Emil Matasareanu were like no others. In a lengthy piece for
, Zaron Burnett III takes a look into the havoc wrought by the two weightlifters, friends who teamed up to start robbing banks in the mid-'90s....
FBI Warns of
'Route 91 Bandit':
'We Need to Put
a Stop to This'
Feb 14, 2022 7:00 AM CST
FBI Warns of 'Route 91 Bandit': 'We Need to Put a Stop to This'
$10K reward for perp who's hit nearly a dozen banks along New England interstate
- His disguise is no more elaborate than a coronavirus-preventing face mask (usually not worn properly, hanging underneath his nose), but the man dubbed the "Route 91 Bandit" has still managed to pull off nearly a dozen bank robberies throughout New England over the past several months. Now, the FBI...
Cops: Bank Robber Made
Deposit in ATM Outside
Dec 16, 2021 3:45 PM CST
Cops: Bank Robber Made Deposit in ATM Outside
He was a Wells Fargo robber, and also a customer
- Police in Delaware say a man who robbed a Wilmington bank on Saturday didn't keep the cash for long—after fleeing the Wells Fargo branch, he paused to make a deposit in the ATM outside. Police say McRoberts Williams, a 44-year-old California resident, handed a note to a teller...
US Marshals Say They Solved
52-Year-Old Robbery Case
Nov 14, 2021 4:29 PM CST
US Marshals Say They Solved 52-Year-Old Robbery Case
Man who died peacefully at home was the culprit, they say
- A 20-year-old bank teller in Cleveland walked out of work with $215,000 in a paper bag in 1969, then disappeared. Ted Conrad was indicted but never found. Tom Randele died of cancer in May 2021 in Massachusetts, surrounded by his loving family. The US Marshals Service says they’re...
Police: Bank Robbery Suspects
Caught While Switching Cars
Oct 17, 2021 3:45 PM CDT
Police: Bank Robbery Suspects Caught While Switching Cars
Accused robbers with clever getaway scheme crashed, were caught
- It must have seemed like a good idea at the time. Three men police say are suspects in a bank robbery in Charlotte, North Carolina, stopped to switch to a different getaway car. Their planning fell through, however, and the police saw the switch take place, the
Bank Robbers Place Hostages
on Roofs of Getaway Cars
Aug 30, 2021 9:48 AM CDT
Bank Robbers Place Hostages on Roofs of Getaway Cars
That was the scene in Aracatuba, Brazil, on Monday
- Brazilian bank robbers allegedly made a grim use of hostages early Monday with the BBC reporting CCTV footage posted to social media showed people strapped to the hood and roofs of getaway vehicles. One person was "seen crouching on the hood" of a vehicle, with another person seen protruding...
YouTubers' Prank Almost
Killed a Guy. Now, Guilty Pleas
Apr 1, 2021 10:15 AM CDT
YouTubers' Prank Almost Killed a Guy. Now, Guilty Pleas
Alan and Alex Stokes escape jail, get community service and probation
- Twin YouTube stars who were facing up to five years behind bars for a pair of bank robbery pranks have managed to avoid prison with guilty pleas. Against the objections of prosecutors, a California judge agreed to reduce the felony false imprisonment charge to a misdemeanor if Alan and Alex...
Court: Prosecutor Shouldn't
Have Shown Jury
Jan 21, 2021 11:44 AM CST
Court: Prosecutor Shouldn't Have Shown Jury
Photo from horror movie helped NJ prosecutors secure robbery conviction
- New Jersey man Damon Williams didn't brandish an ax, stick his face through a door, or say "Heeere's Damon" when he stole $4,600 from a bank in 2014, and his lawyers say it was unfair for prosecutors to liken him to Jack Nicholson's character in...
The 'Too Tall Bandit'
Dec 3, 2020 8:12 AM CST
The 'Too Tall Bandit' Strikes Again
FBI says tall serial bank robber hit 2 NC banks in November
- A prolific bank robber known as the "Too Tall Bandit" is reportedly back in action after a two-year hiatus, and the FBI is desperate for tips. A man believed to have robbed 16 banks in Tennessee, North Carolina, and South Carolina since 2009 hit the United Community Bank in...
US Agencies: N. Korea Funds
Nukes With 'Bank Robbery'
Aug 27, 2020 10:55 AM CDT
US Agencies: N. Korea Funds Nukes With 'Bank Robbery'
FBI, Treasury, and other agencies say hacking scheme 'may erode confidence' in banking systems
- Hackers linked to North Korea's government are trying to rob banks around the world to fund the country's nuclear weapons programs. That's according to the FBI, the US Treasury, US Cyber Command, and Homeland Security's Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency, which warned of the behavior in...
Man Robs Bank,
Jul 17, 2020 12:00 AM CDT
Man Robs Bank, Blames COVID-19
'I didn't get a stimulus or that 10K loan'
- A man who claimed to be a business owner robbed a bank and blamed the pandemic, police in Houston say. In the July 8 robbery, the man, who was wearing a bandanna over his face, handed the teller a note saying he hadn't received a stimulus check, ABC 13...
2 Men Charged With
Blowing Up ATMs
Mar 24, 2020 4:05 AM CDT
2 Men Charged With Blowing Up ATMs
They were arrested after Georgia blast
- Two men are facing federal charges in Florida for using small explosions to rob ATMs in the Tampa Bay area, authorities said Monday. The US Attorney's Office in Tampa has charged Mawdo Malick Sallah, 33, of Clearwater, Fla., and Kirk Douglas Johnson, 34, of Anderson, SC, with conspiring to...
Their First Date Ended With
a 5-Year Prison Sentence
Feb 14, 2020 9:20 AM CST
Their First Date Ended With a 5-Year Prison Sentence
Christopher Castillo ends up behind bars; his date was let off
- It should be a happy Valentine's Day if you can avoid a date like this: A Rhode Island man was sentenced to five years in prison Tuesday in connection with a 2016 bank robbery he committed while on a first date with a woman who unwittingly acted as his...
At the Top of the World,
a Very Unusual Crime
in case you missed it
Feb 1, 2020 11:30 AM CST
At the Top of the World, a Very Unusual Crime
Revisiting the bank robbery that shook Longyearbyen, Norway
- Though rifles abound in Longyearbyen, Norway, the worst crimes that tended to occur were the theft of unattended boots—until late 2018, that is. In a piece for
, David Kushner takes readers to one of the northernmost settlements on the planet, a town of 2,200 that sits...
'Brazen' Suspect Has Been
Blowing Up ATMs in Florida
Jan 14, 2020 5:19 AM CST
'Brazen' Suspect Has Been Blowing Up ATMs in Florida
Latest Tampa Bay explosion yielded cash, police say
- Police in the Tampa Bay area aren't sure who has been blowing up ATMs—but they strongly suspect it is the same suspect who was seen spray-painting the lenses of surveillance cameras shortly before the explosions. There have been three ATM explosions in the area over the last few...
at Bank: Police
Jan 4, 2020 1:30 PM CST
Robber Sexually Assaults Hostage at Bank: Police
Nicholas August, 39, is arrested in Illinois
- A man armed with a pellet gun who took a woman hostage inside an Illinois bank sexually assaulted her before surrendering to authorities following a six-hour standoff, police said Saturday, the AP reports. Nicholas August, 39, of Rockford, was being held Saturday at the Winnebago County Jail on $2 million...
This Is How You Rob
a Bank at Christmas
Dec 25, 2019 7:42 AM CST
This Is How You Rob a Bank at Christmas
You could start tossing wads of cash in the air and screaming 'Merry Christmas!'
- If you're going to rob a bank around Christmas, you might as well resemble Santa, flee your targeted bank tossing wads of cash in the air while screaming "Merry Christmas!," then quietly head to a nearby Starbucks to await the proper authorities. Gentle reader, KKTV brings you...
Wells Fargo: Ex-Worker
Took $88K From Vault
Dec 14, 2019 2:00 PM CST
Wells Fargo: Ex-Worker Took $88K From Vault
Suspect Arlando M. Henderson allegedly posted on social media about his newfound riches
- Federal authorities are accusing a former Wells Fargo employee of stealing more than $88,000 in cash from the vault of a bank in North Carolina, the AP reports. An indictment unsealed this week alleges 29-year-old Arlando M. Henderson took the cash from customer deposits on at least 18 occasions...
Cops: Bank Robber Told Teller
He Had Given Him Too Much
Nov 22, 2019 3:42 AM CST
Cops: Bank Robber Told Teller He Had Given Him Too Much
Florida man said he only wanted $1.1K
- Sandy Hawkins is an unusual bank robbery suspect in several ways: He is 73 years old, he said he wanted to be caught—and he told the teller he had given him too much money, police say. The Florida man is accused of robbing a Boca Raton branch of Wells...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Two Words in Roberts' Ruling Signal a Big Fight
Howard Stern Selects His Presidential Running Mate
Kaitlin Armstrong Was Trying to Build New Life in Costa Rica
In Clarence Thomas Opinion, Line About COVID Vaccine, Cells From 'Aborted Children'
'We Literally Witness His Neck Break' in Police Van
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.