Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
After Bank Robber
Failed at First Bank,
He Crossed Street
and Tried Again: Cops
Jul 21, 2023 12:00 AM CDT
After Bank Robber Failed at First Bank, He Crossed Street and Tried Again: Cops
And that time he was successful, police say
- If at first you don't succeed, try, try again? That was apparently what a 67-year-old New Jersey man figured when he allegedly tried to rob one bank, failed, but then successfully robbed the bank across the street. Police say that on June 30, Ivan Sevastianow walked into a Wells...
'Sticky Note Bandit'
Strikes a 4th Time in 2 Weeks
Jul 19, 2023 1:45 PM CDT
'Sticky Note Bandit' Strikes a 4th Time in 2 Weeks
Houston suspect left latest bank robbery without cash, police say
- The FBI says the "Sticky Note Bandit" attempted his fourth bank robbery Tuesday, but he didn't get away with any cash. Police say the suspect walked into a Bank of America branch in Houston and, as in other robberies, handed a teller a sticky note with a threatening...
Kansas City 'ChiefsAholic'
Is Alleged Serial Bank Robber
Jul 13, 2023 9:55 AM CDT
Kansas City 'ChiefsAholic' Is Alleged Serial Bank Robber
Prosecutors say NFL superfan funded his travels with robberies
- Kansas City Chiefs superfan "ChiefsAholic" was a thief in wolf's clothing who robbed banks to fund his travels to see the team, investigators say. Xaviar Babudar, 29, was known for turning up at almost every Chiefs game, often dressed as a wolf, the NFL team's mascot, the...
Bank Robbery That Went Viral
on Social Didn't Happen
May 14, 2023 4:40 PM CDT
Bank Robbery That Went Viral on Social Didn't Happen
Minnesota law enforcement agencies had a failure to communicate
- Did anyone have information about an armed bank robbery to which police in Golden Valley, Minnesota, failed to respond? In a surprising development, a bank robbery that was reported in March this year at a Golden Valley Wells Fargo bank in Hennepin County, Minnesota, didn't actually happen the way...
Robbed Bank to
Fund Film Sentenced
Apr 15, 2023 4:45 PM CDT
Producer Who Robbed Bank to Fund Film Sentenced
Baltimore man had been released early after other bank robbery convictions
- A bank robber who said he was making a movie and needed money to finish filming has been given a 10-year prison sentence in Florida. Federal prosecutors said Nacoe Ray Brown of Baltimore took nearly $4,300 in cash from the McCoy Federal Credit Union in Belle Isle last June,...
Woman, 78, With
2 Past Robbery
Apr 10, 2023 5:00 AM CDT
Woman, 78, With 2 Past Robbery Convictions in Trouble Again
Authorities: Bonnie Gooch's note to teller at bank she robbed said, 'I didn't mean to scare you'
- A 78-year-old woman with two past bank robbery convictions faces new charges after authorities allege she handed a teller a note that said, "I didn't mean to scare you" during a recent Missouri heist, per the AP . Bonnie Gooch is jailed on $25,000 bond after she was...
Utah Bank Robber Requested
Unusual Amount of Cash
Mar 8, 2023 12:45 PM CST
Utah Bank Robber Requested Unusual Amount of Cash
Donald Santacroce allegedly demanded a single dollar
- A Utah man who desired to be sent to federal prison carried out a polite bank robbery in pursuit of that goal, police say. Per a police booking affidavit, Donald Santacroce, 65, was arrested Monday morning after allegedly handing a teller at a Wells Fargo in downtown Salt Lake City...
Woman With Toy Gun Takes
Her Own Money From Bank
Sep 14, 2022 1:01 PM CDT
Woman With Toy Gun Takes Her Own Money From Bank
Sali Hafez said Beirut bank had $20K of her money, she needed to pay for sister's treatment
- A woman accompanied by activists and brandishing what she said was a toy pistol broke into a Beirut bank branch on Wednesday, taking $13,000 from her trapped savings. Sali Hafez told Al-Jadeed TV that she needed the money to fund her 23-year-old sister’s cancer treatment, reports the AP...
One NYC Bank Robbery Among
Hundreds in 1970s Stands Out
Sep 4, 2022 2:50 PM CDT
One NYC Bank Robbery Among Hundreds in 1970s Stands Out
FBI agent Jim Murphy is still living with the consequences
- In many ways, Aug. 22, 1971, was like any other day in New York City: There was a bank robbery in progress. As Daniel Edward Rosen writes in
bank heists were a daily occurrence in Gotham at the time, with 469 occurring in 1970-71. But the one at...
FBI Is Seeking the
'Empty Promise Bandit'
Aug 25, 2022 4:36 PM CDT
FBI Is Seeking the 'Empty Promise Bandit'
Suspect made 'assertions that he will never be able to follow up on' in Denver-area bank robberies
- He's been dubbed the "Empty Promise Bandit"—and if he doesn't like the nickname, the FBI would be happy to meet him in person to discuss it. The FBI Rocky Mountain Safe Streets Task Force says the suspect has robbed at least three banks in the...
After Tunnel Collapses,
Alleged Thieves Call Cops
Aug 12, 2022 11:31 AM CDT
After Tunnel Collapses, Alleged Thieves Call Cops
Firefighters worked for 8 hours to free a man, later arrested, from tunnel below Rome
- A man rescued from a tunnel 20 feet beneath the streets of Rome may have suffered the consequences of his own attempted bank robbery. One of three alleged gang members who escaped the tunnel when it collapsed below the surface of a road near the Vatican on Thursday called for...
Cops: 'Old Man Bandit'
Got Out of Jail, Began
Robbing Banks Again
Aug 9, 2022 12:41 PM CDT
Cops: 'Old Man Bandit' Got Out of Jail, Began Robbing Banks Again
Steven Gregory Gass didn't learn his lesson in prison the first time around, say Maryland police
- The "Old Man Bandit" has been arrested after trying to rob a Maryland bank—one of dozens he's targeted over a criminal career spanning 45 years, according to police. Montgomery County Police say Steven Gregory Gass, 67—who served more than eight years in prison in Florida after...
2 Suspects Killed,
6 Cops Hurt in
Jun 29, 2022 7:15 PM CDT
2 Suspects Killed, 6 Cops Hurt in 'Chaotic, Violent' Bank Robbery
Dozens of shots were fired in BC incident
- Two suspects were shot dead and six police officers were injured in what police describe as a "chaotic, tragic, and violent" attempted bank robbery in British Columbia on Tuesday morning. Police say shooting began outside the Bank of Montreal branch in a largely residential area of Saanich after officers...
The LA Shootout Was Like
Something Straight Out of
May 29, 2022 2:35 PM CDT
The LA Shootout Was Like Something Straight Out of
Mel Magazine goes inside an infamous 1997 bank robbery
- When it comes to Los Angeles bank robbers, Larry Phillips and Emil Matasareanu were like no others. In a lengthy piece for
, Zaron Burnett III takes a look into the havoc wrought by the two weightlifters, friends who teamed up to start robbing banks in the mid-'90s....
FBI Warns of
'Route 91 Bandit':
'We Need to Put
a Stop to This'
Feb 14, 2022 7:00 AM CST
FBI Warns of 'Route 91 Bandit': 'We Need to Put a Stop to This'
$10K reward for perp who's hit nearly a dozen banks along New England interstate
- His disguise is no more elaborate than a coronavirus-preventing face mask (usually not worn properly, hanging underneath his nose), but the man dubbed the "Route 91 Bandit" has still managed to pull off nearly a dozen bank robberies throughout New England over the past several months. Now, the FBI...
Cops: Bank Robber Made
Deposit in ATM Outside
Dec 16, 2021 3:45 PM CST
Cops: Bank Robber Made Deposit in ATM Outside
He was a Wells Fargo robber, and also a customer
- Police in Delaware say a man who robbed a Wilmington bank on Saturday didn't keep the cash for long—after fleeing the Wells Fargo branch, he paused to make a deposit in the ATM outside. Police say McRoberts Williams, a 44-year-old California resident, handed a note to a teller...
US Marshals Say They Solved
52-Year-Old Robbery Case
Nov 14, 2021 4:29 PM CST
US Marshals Say They Solved 52-Year-Old Robbery Case
Man who died peacefully at home was the culprit, they say
- A 20-year-old bank teller in Cleveland walked out of work with $215,000 in a paper bag in 1969, then disappeared. Ted Conrad was indicted but never found. Tom Randele died of cancer in May 2021 in Massachusetts, surrounded by his loving family. The US Marshals Service says they’re...
Police: Bank Robbery Suspects
Caught While Switching Cars
Oct 17, 2021 3:45 PM CDT
Police: Bank Robbery Suspects Caught While Switching Cars
Accused robbers with clever getaway scheme crashed, were caught
- It must have seemed like a good idea at the time. Three men police say are suspects in a bank robbery in Charlotte, North Carolina, stopped to switch to a different getaway car. Their planning fell through, however, and the police saw the switch take place, the
Bank Robbers Place Hostages
on Roofs of Getaway Cars
Aug 30, 2021 9:48 AM CDT
Bank Robbers Place Hostages on Roofs of Getaway Cars
That was the scene in Aracatuba, Brazil, on Monday
- Brazilian bank robbers allegedly made a grim use of hostages early Monday with the BBC reporting CCTV footage posted to social media showed people strapped to the hood and roofs of getaway vehicles. One person was "seen crouching on the hood" of a vehicle, with another person seen protruding...
YouTubers' Prank Almost
Killed a Guy. Now, Guilty Pleas
Apr 1, 2021 10:15 AM CDT
YouTubers' Prank Almost Killed a Guy. Now, Guilty Pleas
Alan and Alex Stokes escape jail, get community service and probation
- Twin YouTube stars who were facing up to five years behind bars for a pair of bank robbery pranks have managed to avoid prison with guilty pleas. Against the objections of prosecutors, a California judge agreed to reduce the felony false imprisonment charge to a misdemeanor if Alan and Alex...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Investigation Lobs Disturbing Allegations Against Candy Giant
A 'Familiar Maternal Face on TV' Dead at 93
Morgan Names Royals Who Made Alleged Racist Comments
Couple's NC Wyeth Windfall Collapses
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.