Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Blizzard Savior Given
Tickets to the Super Bowl
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Jan 21, 2023 6:00 AM CST
Blizzard Savior Given Tickets to the Super Bowl
Cheektowaga mechanic Jay Withey, aka 'Merry Christmas Jay,' credited with saving 2 dozen
- A Good Samaritan in Buffalo who police say helped save two dozen lives during the city's December blizzard is getting a bit of a reward for his efforts. The Buffalo Bills are giving mechanic Jay Withey two tickets to next month's Super Bowl in Arizona, reports ESPN . It'...
After Buffalo Storm, Complaints
of 'Embarrassing' Response
Dec 29, 2022 11:23 AM CST
After Buffalo Storm, Complaints of 'Embarrassing' Response
County executive calls out the mayor, who suggests his critic is too stressed
- In Buffalo, the driving ban is now lifted, the region's death toll from its historic blizzard has risen to 37, and the snow has stopped falling. The blame game, however, appears to be just starting. Amid questions about how Buffalo, of all places, has been so slow to dig...
She Said She'd Be
Right Back, Died in the
Snow Not Far From Home
Dec 29, 2022 12:44 AM CST
She Said She'd Be Right Back, Died in the Snow Not Far From Home
Buffalo family mourns beloved grandmother
- As the blizzard bore down on Buffalo Christmas Eve, Monique Alexander told her daughter, Casey Maccarone, that she was going out and would be right back. Maccarone, who had seen on social media that stores were shutting down due to the storm, assumed her mom, who was 52, wanted to...
Lost Loved Ones
Trapped in Cars
Dec 28, 2022 10:40 AM CST
In Buffalo, Helpless Families Lost Loved Ones Trapped in Cars
3 storm victims died in their cars, says an Erie County official
- There are tales of amazing rescues out of Buffalo , but also stories of the other type: the tragic deaths of people who became stuck in their cars and couldn't be rescued amid a historic blizzard. NBC News has the stories of families who are mourning lost loved ones. Stasia...
Heard Wails Outside
Her Home, Saved a Life
Dec 28, 2022 6:46 AM CST
Buffalo Woman Heard Wails Outside Her Home, Saved a Life
Joey White, who has mental disabilities, was outside her home severely frostbitten
- Another amazing rescue out of the Buffalo blizzard is making headlines. Around 6:30am on Christmas Eve, Sha’Kyra Aughtry heard someone screaming for help outside her Buffalo home. She went out into the storm and found Joey White in a snowbank, White's sister tells the
Military Police Enforce
Buffalo Driving Ban
Dec 27, 2022 2:01 PM CST
Military Police Enforce Buffalo Driving Ban
They will be stationed at major intersections, entrances to snow-stricken city
- State and military police were sent Tuesday to keep people off Buffalo’s snow-choked roads, and officials kept counting fatalities three days after western New York’s deadliest storm in at least two generations. Even as suburban roads and most major highways in the area reopened, Erie County Executive Mark...
Buffalo-Area Couple Takes in
Bus of Stranded Tourists
Dec 27, 2022 8:58 AM CST
Buffalo-Area Couple Takes in Bus of Stranded Tourists
Survival stories emerge from city slammed by blizzard of historic proportions
- In almost every story about Buffalo's blizzard—perhaps the worst in city history —is a quote along these lines: “I’ve lived here my whole life, and this is the worst storm I’ve ever seen." That one is from 48-year-old Trisha LoGrasso, who has been...
In Buffalo, First Responders
Had to Save Fellow
Dec 26, 2022 2:55 PM CST
In Buffalo, First Responders Had to Save Fellow First Responders
'When the rescuers have to be rescued, I'm not certain what else we could have done,' official says
- The 2022 holiday season will be remembered throughout much of the US for a massive storm and Arctic blast, but Buffalo may have been hit hardest of all. According to the
New York Times
, conditions there were so bad over the weekend that rescuers needed rescuing, not to mention thousands...
At Least 37 Dead as
Storm's Misery Continues
Dec 26, 2022 6:29 AM CST
At Least 37 Dead as Storm's Misery Continues
Power is coming back online, but flight delays and cold temps are expected to hang around
- Millions of people hunkered down against a deep freeze Sunday to ride out the winter storm that CNN reports has killed at least 37 people across the United States and is expected to claim more lives after trapping some residents inside houses with heaping snow drifts and knocking out power...
Buffalo Blizzard May Be
Worst in City History
Dec 25, 2022 7:40 AM CST
Buffalo Blizzard May Be Worst in City History
Christmas storm is 'like a Category 3 hurricane with a bunch of snow mixed in'
- The greater Buffalo region is currently doing anything but waxing poetic about a white Christmas, dreaming instead of simpler things like power and heat as the winter storm that battered the nation takes an especially brutal swing at Western New York. Buffalo, no stranger to snow, is currently enduring what...
Buffalo Gunman Admits
Nov 28, 2022 10:25 AM CST
Buffalo Gunman Admits Supermarket Massacre
He pleads guilty for life in prison, faces possible death sentence on federal charges
- The white gunman who massacred 10 Black shoppers and workers at a Buffalo supermarket pleaded guilty Monday to murder and hate-motivated terrorism charges, guaranteeing that he'll spend the rest of his life in prison, per the AP . Payton Gendron, 19, entered the plea Monday in a courthouse roughly 2...
Buffalo Area Buried,
and the Snow Keeps Falling
Nov 19, 2022 7:45 AM CST
Buffalo Area Buried, and the Snow Keeps Falling
Some areas of Western New York already have 5-feet-plus, and it's not supposed to stop till Sunday
- Buffalo is accustomed to snow. This weekend, however, the city and surrounding parts of Western New York are getting a storm for the books, with some areas already buried under several feet of the white stuff, and precipitation expected to continue through Sunday morning. In Orchard Park, about 20 minutes...
Forecast for Buffalo Area
Nov 17, 2022 5:39 AM CST
'Paralyzing' Snowstorm Forecast for Buffalo Area
'Prolonged lake-effect snow event' could dump up to 4 feet of snow on region
- Residents of the Buffalo area have been told to brace for a potentially "historic" early-season snowstorm that could dump up to 4 feet of snow on the region by Saturday morning. The National Weather Service says a "prolonged lake-effect snow event" is developing in western New York state,...
Crash That Killed
4 Teens May Be Linked
to TikTok Challenge
Oct 25, 2022 2:31 PM CDT
Crash That Killed 4 Teens May Be Linked to TikTok Challenge
Buffalo teens were in stolen Kia
- A car crash that left four teenagers dead may have been linked to a TikTok challenge, a police commissioner in Buffalo says. A total of six teenagers were in a speeding Kia that crashed about 6:30am Monday, Buffalo police said. The car had been reported stolen Sunday night. All...
Man Threatens to Kill
'All the Black People' at
Site of Buffalo Massacre
Jul 23, 2022 7:31 AM CDT
Man Threatens to Kill 'All the Black People' at Site of Buffalo Massacre
Washington state man arrested by FBI
- The Tops supermarket where 10 Black people were killed in a mass shooting in May received phone calls with similar threats on Tuesday and Wednesday. Joey David George, a Seattle-area man with an alleged history of making racist threats, asked how many Black people were in the store and "...
Jun 2, 2022 7:40 PM CDT
Biden Calls for Banning Assault Weapons
President pleads for Congress to act after mass shootings
- Asking Americans "how much more carnage" they're willing to accept, President Biden implored Congress in a nationally televised address Thursday night to take steps in response to the nation's spate of mass shootings. The president said he wants assault weapons and high-capacity magazines banned, the
'Payton, You're a Coward!'
May 19, 2022 11:00 AM CDT
'Payton, You're a Coward!'
Suspected Buffalo shooter makes court appearance, is jeered by relative of a victim
- The legal case against the accused gunman in Buffalo's mass shooting advanced on Thursday, but not before Payton Gendron got a message from a relative of one of the victims. "Payton, you're a coward!" shouted the family member as the 18-year-old was being led from a...
In Buffalo, Biden Repeatedly
Blasts White Supremacy
May 17, 2022 1:25 PM CDT
In Buffalo, Biden Repeatedly Blasts White Supremacy
He spoke to victims' families, local officials, and first responders
- President Biden on Tuesday spoke in Buffalo, offering lengthy comments in the wake of an attack at a Tops supermarket that killed 10 Black people. The
reports Biden repeated a story he has told before, about how the white pride march in Charlottesville in 2017 was one of...
May 16, 2022 1:19 PM CDT
Liz Cheney Unloads on House Leaders After Shooting
Ousted GOP bigwig says they have 'enabled white nationalism' with rhetoric
- Liz Cheney unleashed a scorching tweet against House GOP leaders on Monday—a group she had been among before her split with Donald Trump. The tweet comes in the wake of the mass shooting in Buffalo , which authorities have called a targeted assault by a white gunman on Black victims....
Buffalo Shooting Puts
'Great Replacement' in Spotlight
May 16, 2022 10:35 AM CDT
Buffalo Shooting Puts 'Great Replacement' in Spotlight
There's really 2 versions of it floating around, one more extreme than the other
- The phrase "great replacement" has been in wide circulation in the media since Saturday's mass shooting in Buffalo because authorities say the suspected gunman embraced it in a 180-page racist screed posted online before the attack. Lots of outlets are providing primers:
One hard-core version has been
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Screenshots Live Forever, as Santos Is Now Finding Out
Is It 'the Largest Con in Corporate History'?
Jay Leno Cannot Catch a Break
Someone Is Hiding Razor Blades in Gas Pump Handles
Former Child Actor Lance Kerwin Dead at 62
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.