Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Bishops Just Gave Catholics a Big Lenten Dispensation
Some dioceses are letting followers eat meat on Fridays (but not Good Friday) due to coronavirus
- Catholics who don't eat meat on Fridays during Lent, as well as give up other things during the 40 or so days of the religious observance before Easter, probably didn't anticipate this year also sacrificing hanging out with friends, heading out to restaurants and bars, and attending most...
This Might've Been the Largest Child Sacrifice Ever
Remains of 140 children, 200 young llamas found in Peru
- Decades before it was felled by the larger Inca civilization around 1475 AD, the Chimu people in what is now northern Peru gathered more than 140 children on a bluff overlooking the Pacific Ocean and slaughtered them all. Archaeologists who've uncovered the remains of boys, girls, and 200 young...
Did Texas Baseball Players Kill Chickens to Win Game?
An alleged tale of superstitions gone wrong
- The Western Hills High baseball team wasn’t doing so well—so, allegedly, two of its players sacrificed chickens on the field in an effort to improve the team’s performance. The bizarre ritual was referenced in
, although in that movie, the struggling player sacrificed a bucket of...
Sacrificial Free Sheep Offered With TV at Israeli Shop
Veterinary authorities close down grim promotion
- It's sheep-slaughtering time among Israel's minority Arabs and an electrical appliance shop is cashing in with a buy-one-get-one free offer—but in this case, the freebie is a sheep. The shop offered a free sheep, to be sacrificed on today's Muslim holiday of Eid al-Adha, with any purchase of a...
Nepal Suffers Shortage of Sacrificial Goats
Country running short of goats ahead of major Hindu festival
- Baa-ad news. Nepal is facing a severe shortage of sacrificial goats ahead of one of the Hindu calendar's biggest festivals, the BBC reports. Officials are searching the countryside for as many as 4,000 goats to buy and bring to Kathmandu ahead of the Dashain festival, in which goats are...
Pain + Sacrifice = Marital Bliss
Adversity makes couples' bond stronger, experts say
- Marital bliss? Toss it out the window, and get down to pain and anguish ASAP, experts say. While many studies find that stress can exacerbate a marriage—turning a short-tempered husband into an abusive one, for example—some experts say adversity is the key to marital success. "It’s...
Rank-and-File Will Take Pay Cuts—if Execs Do
Management, unions sit down
employees say they’re willing to make sacrifices to save their foundering newspaper—but only if executives and managers do the same, the
reports. “If management is willing to lead us, to take pay cuts and concessions, I'm sure the union would be willing,”...
Way More Than Just Standing By Her Man
Michelle Obama's public service a boon to Barack's rise
- When Barack Obama met Michelle Robinson, she was on the fast track at a prestigious Chicago law firm. As the story goes, Obama took her with him when he left to start a public life, surprising Michelle’s friends and family. But Mrs. Obama’s own entrée into not-for-profit...
'Sacrifice' Is Dirty Word in Energy Plans
Obama, McCain ditch candor in glossing over tough road ahead
- Presidential candidates John McCain and Barack Obama are each touting a plan to save America from the looming energy crisis, but they're providing too many sunny outlooks and not enough tough candor, Walter Shapiro writes in Salon. "The Ten Commandments of politics now began, 'Thou shalt not talk honestly...
Popular on Newser
Museum Visitor Realizes Where Long-Lost Painting Is
Trump's Twitter Password Was Pretty Easy to Guess
See the Moment Trump Ends 60 Minutes Interview
Democrats Use Visual Stunt as Barrett Vote Proceeds
Amid Bad News on COVID, One Silver Lining
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Get our apps
Install our app
Suggest a Story
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.