Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Man at Center of SCOTUS Case
Gets Parole After 57 Years
Nov 17, 2021 6:45 PM CST
Man at Center of SCOTUS Case Gets Parole After 57 Years
Henry Montgomery, 75, killed a deputy in Louisiana when he was 17
- After spending nearly six decades behind bars, the Louisiana inmate whose Supreme Court case was instrumental in extending the possibility of freedom to hundreds of people sentenced to life in prison without the opportunity for parole when they were juveniles was freed on parole Wednesday. From the AP :
Killer Put Away for Life
Dead in Apparent Suicide
Sep 23, 2021 10:30 AM CDT
Killer Put Away for Life Dead in Apparent Suicide
Judge said Kenneth Gleason, murderer of 2 Black men in Louisiana, couldn't be rehabilitated
- A white man convicted of the random killing of two Black men in Baton Rouge, La., in 2017 reportedly died by suicide just as he was starting a life sentence. Authorities say Kenneth Gleason, 27, was discovered dead early Wednesday in his cell at the Louisiana State Penitentiary in Angola,...
Killer Gets Life
in Slaying of
Aug 30, 2021 5:00 PM CDT
Killer Gets Life Without Parole in Slaying of Mollie Tibbetts
Cristhian Bahena Rivera says nothing in Iowa courtroom as he's sentenced
- "You, and you alone, forever changed the lives of those who loved Mollie Tibbetts," a judge told Cristhian Bahena Rivera in an Iowa courtroom on Monday. "And for that, you and you alone will receive the following sentence." Judge Joel Yates then imposed a sentence of...
Man Who Killed High School
Runners Learns Fate
Aug 20, 2021 9:01 AM CDT
Man Who Killed High School Runners Learns Fate
It's 3 consecutive life sentences for Oklahoma's Max Townsend
- An Oklahoma man will likely never leave prison again after plowing his truck into a high school cross-country team , killing three and injuring four, on the day after his own son's death. Kolby Crum, 18; Rachel Freeman, 17; and Yuridia Martinez, 16, died as a result of the Feb....
Freed After 68 Years
Feb 18, 2021 3:40 AM CST
America's Oldest Juvenile Lifer Freed After 68 Years
Joe Ligon, 83, was sentenced to life at 15
- At 83, Joe Ligon is now a free adult for the first time in his life. The Pennsylvania man, America's longest-serving prisoner sentenced to life imprisonment as a juvenile, was released last week after 68 years in prison, CNN reports. He had been behind bars since February 1953, when...
to Free Myon Burrell
Dec 16, 2020 9:45 AM CST
Minnesota Decides to Free Myon Burrell
The 34-year-old was sentenced to life as a juvenile
- A Black Minnesota man sent to prison for life as a teenager took his first steps of freedom Tuesday to the sound of ringing bells and cheering family members and supporters, hours after a pardons board commuted his sentence in a high-profile murder case. Myon Burrell's prosecution and harsh...
'Golden State Killer'
Welcomed to His New Home
Nov 4, 2020 10:10 AM CST
'Golden State Killer' Welcomed to His New Home
Joseph James DeAngelo, 74, arrived at Calif. state prison Tuesday
- A former police officer who eluded authorities for years as the "Golden State Killer" arrived in state prison Tuesday to begin serving multiple life sentences for rapes and murders that terrorized much of California in the 1970s and 1980s. Joseph James DeAngelo, 74, arrived at North Kern State Prison,...
'Stolen Hedge Clipper'
Case Takes a Turn
Oct 18, 2020 1:30 PM CDT
'Stolen Hedge Clipper' Case Takes a Turn
Fair Wayne Bryant leaves prison after 23 years
- A Louisiana man is no longer serving life for trying to steal hedge clippers. State officials granted Fair Wayne Bryant parole Thursday in a 3-0 vote after his case drew widespread attention—and a scathing rebuke from a Louisiana high court justice, the
New York Times
reports. "Mr. Bryant...
Celebs Hope to Free Rapper
Serving Life for Killing Teen
Aug 18, 2020 9:45 AM CDT
Celebs Hope to Free Rapper Serving Life for Killing Teen
Ex-girlfriend Monica claims C-Murder is innocent
- Kim Kardashian West has teamed up with singer Monica in an effort to free rapper C-Murder, who's serving life in prison for a murder they say he didn't commit. C-Murder, real name Corey Miller, is the brother of rap star Master P. He was a member of the...
He Got Life
$30 of Weed.
Aug 9, 2020 4:20 PM CDT
He Got Life for Selling $30 of Weed. Now, This
Derek Harris, a military veteran, is about to go free
- A Louisiana man serving life for selling less than a gram of weed is about to see the light of day, CNN reports. Prosecutors have agreed to free Derek Harris, a military veteran who was arrested in 2008 for selling an officer less than $30 of marijuana. In a Louisiana...
No Review of Life Sentence for
Man Who Stole Hedge Clippers
in case you missed it
Aug 9, 2020 7:45 AM CDT
No Review of Life Sentence for Man Who Stole Hedge Clippers
Louisiana man has already served 23 years, and state Supreme Court won't hear case
- In 1979, Louisiana man Fair Wayne Bryant was involved in a robbery in which his accomplice shot a taxi driver. But the crime that put him away for life was the 1997 theft of a pair of hedge clippers, for which he has served 23 years and counting. The Louisiana...
Man Gets 7 Life Sentences
for Horrific 3-Week Assault
May 3, 2020 5:25 PM CDT
Man Gets 7 Life Sentences for Horrific 3-Week Assault
Nicholas John Crilley is going away for a long time
- What Nicholas John Crilley did is hard to read about—so if you have any doubt, please stop here. The Australian was sentenced Friday to seven life sentences for torturing, raping, beating, and burning a woman over three unimaginable weeks, 7 News reports. The 34-year-old's attacks left her so...
Ex-Priest Who Killed
Beauty Queen Dies in Prison
Feb 15, 2020 5:15 PM CST
Ex-Priest Who Killed Beauty Queen Dies in Prison
John Feit was sentenced to life in late 2017 for the death of Irene Garza
- Fifty-seven years after the 1960 death of a 25-year-old beauty queen, a former priest went on trial for her murder. John Feit was convicted and in late 2017 sentenced to life —a sentence whose term ended up being just over two years. "Offender Feit was pronounced dead at...
Man: My Life Sentence Is Done
Because I've Already Died
Nov 8, 2019 7:30 AM CST
Man: My Life Sentence Is Done Because I've Already Died
Benjamin Schreiber's heart stopped 4 years ago, but 2 courts aren't buying his claim
- A prisoner in Iowa serving a life sentence for murder says he has fulfilled that life sentence and should be released—because he "died" in 2015 while in the hospital, meaning the life that his original life sentence was based on ended four years ago. The
Des Moines Register
Man to Be Freed After Serving
36 Years for Stealing $50
Aug 30, 2019 3:27 AM CDT
Man to Be Freed After Serving 36 Years for Stealing $50
Alabama man was sentenced to life without parole
- An Alabama man who has served close to 36 years in prison for robbing a bakery with a pocket knife will be free within days. Alvin Kennard was 22 when he was sentenced to life without parole for the 1983 crime, in which nobody was injured and he made off...
Judge: If I
Aug 22, 2019 4:45 PM CDT
Judge: If I Could Legally Have You Castrated, I Would
Ryan Alden gets life plus 150 years for secretly planting cameras in people's homes
- "If the law allowed me to have you castrated, I would." So said a judge Wednesday in explaining why Ryan Alden would get life behind bars plus nearly 150 years, the
reports. The 39-year-old Oklahoma man, who hid cameras in people's homes, had pleaded guilty to...
Serial Killer Nurse
Learns His Fate
Jun 6, 2019 9:02 AM CDT
Germany's Serial Killer Nurse Learns His Fate
It's another life sentence for Niels Hoegel
- A former nurse has been confirmed as Germany's most prolific serial killer since World War II with his conviction of the murders of 85 patients. "The human mind capitulates in the face of the sheer number of deeds," Judge Sebastian Bührmann said Thursday in handing Niels...
After 23 Years, Man Freed
From Sentence for Joyriding
Jun 5, 2019 12:15 AM CDT
After 23 Years, Man Freed From Sentence for Joyriding
He got life under Calif.'s old '3 strikes' law
- A California man was freed from prison after serving 23 years of his life sentence on a joyriding conviction, including eight years in solitary confinement for possessing a banned book. His attorneys say it's unconscionable that he was set to die in prison for nonviolent crimes. Kenneth Oliver, now...
Man Who Tossed Daughter
Off Bridge Learns His Fate
Apr 16, 2019 5:45 PM CDT
Man Who Tossed Daughter Off Bridge Learns His Fate
A Florida jury sentences John Jonchuck
- A Florida jury on Tuesday found a man guilty of first-degree murder for dropping his 5-year-old daughter off a bridge four years ago, despite arguments from his attorneys that he was insane and thought his actions would actually save her, the AP reports. He was automatically sentenced to life in...
Mar 9, 2019 12:00 PM CST
'Gun-Toting' Doctor Gets Life After Patient Dies
Steven Henson is accused of unlawfully distributing prescription drugs
- The courtroom gasped. The accused showed no emotion. The judge made his ruling clear: Kansas doctor Steven Henson was getting life in prison for distributing prescription drugs that took a patient's life, NBC News reports. Found guilty in October on charges including conspiracy to distribute prescription drugs outside a...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
WHO Names Variant; US Issues Travel Restrictions
Scientists Question Models After Arctic Ocean Finding
Taylor Swift Just Outdid 'American Pie'
Dow Just Had Worst Black Friday on Record
New COVID Variant Is a 'Big Jump in Evolution'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.