Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
USDA: School Lunch Proposal Is Efficient. Critics: 'Unconscionable'
Department wants schools to be able to cut mandates on fruits and veggies, offer more pizza
- Michelle Obama turned 56 Friday, but one unwelcome gift came in the form of a new Trump proposal that would strike further at one of her most well-known initiatives as first lady: healthier school lunches. Per the
, the Department of Agriculture on Friday released proposed mandates on "...
Cafeteria Workers Toss Meals of Students With $15 Lunch Debt
The Minnesota incident was caught on video, and the school has apologized
- Students with more than $15 of lunch debt who went through the cafeteria line at Minnesota's Richfield High School had their hot meals taken off their trays, thrown in the trash, and replaced with cold lunches when cafeteria workers saw the amount of debt on their accounts. The incident...
Trade War Brings Bonus Food to Schools
USDA is buying, giving away food to help farmers
- School lunch menus already have Meatless Mondays and Taco Tuesdays. Now some may get Trade Mitigation Thursdays. This fall, some US school cafeterias are expecting shipments of free food, one little-known consequence of President Trump's trade disputes. The products are coming from the Department of Agriculture, which is giving...
CEO Tries to Pay Kids' Lunch Debt, Is Refused
La Colombe CEO Todd Carmichael said school district won't take his $22K
- In Todd Carmichael's eyes, it's another outrageous turn in an already outrageous story. The CEO of La Colombe coffee says that he wants to pony up $22,467.76 to wipe out the school-lunch debts of kids within the Wyoming Valley West School District—a Pennsylvania district that...
District Does U-Turn on Offer to Pay Lunch Debt
School board apologizes for foster care threat
- In a move possibly related to widespread criticism and media coverage, a school district in Pennsylvania has done a U-turn on a CEO's offer to erase $22,467.76 in school-lunch debt. The Wyoming Valley West School District now says it will accept La Colombe Coffee CEO Todd Carmichael'...
Letter to Parents: Pay Lunch Debt, or We'll Take Your Kids
Pennsylvania school district warns that children could be placed in foster care for neglect
- The Wyoming Valley West School District in Pennsylvania really,
wants parents to pay off any debt they owe over their children's school lunches. In a letter mailed to about 1,000 parents, the district threatened that parents might lose custody of their children if they don't pay...
Now Slamming Fired Lunch Lady: Mom of the Boy She Fed
Story out of New Hampshire involving Bonnie Kimball has some new twists
- A New Hampshire school cafeteria worker was fired after giving a student free food when he reportedly didn't have enough money to pay for it, and then, after national media attention, she rebuffed the school vendor's offer to rehire her. Now, some new twists involving Bonnie Kimball, from...
She Was Fired for Feeding a Student. Now, a New Offer
But New Hampshire's Bonnie Kimball simply isn't interested in getting her job back
- A company has offered to rehire a New Hampshire school cafeteria worker it fired for giving a student lunch for free, but she isn't interested. Bonnie Kimball said she was terminated March 28 by Fresh Picks, a vendor that supplies food to the Mascoma Valley Regional High School in...
Kids With Lunch Debt to Get Cold Sandwiches: District
They used to be served a hot meal like everyone else
- Owe lunch money to Warwick Public Schools? Then you'll be eating cold sun butter and jelly sandwiches every day until it's paid up, rather than getting a hot meal, the Rhode Island school district announced over the weekend. Kids will also be allowed to go back to hot...
Big Gift From Philando Castile's Mom to Students in Debt
Valerie Castile presents $8K donation to Minneapolis-area school to pay seniors' lunch tabs
- It's been almost three years since the police shooting death of Philando Castile in Minnesota, and while the upcoming anniversary will be a sad one, the memory of the generous cafeteria supervisor continues to inspire good. Castile's mom, Valerie Castile, offered up a check Thursday for $8,000...
After Trump's Rollback, It's 'Back to the Other Saltines'
School cafeterias no longer have to stick to whole grains
- Is white bread about to make a comeback on school lunch menus? After complaints about taste and costs, the Trump administration rolled back a requirement that foods like pasta and bread be made with whole grains, the AP reports. Cafeteria directors who lobbied for the change say they just want...
Trump Administration Puts Biscuits Back on the School Lunch Menu
Refined grains, low-fat chocolate milk are once again OK
- The national school lunch program is making room on menus again for noodles, biscuits, tortillas, and other foods made mostly of refined grains. The Trump administration is scaling back contested school lunch standards implemented under the Obama administration including one that required only whole grains be served, the AP reports....
Dad Devastated by School Lunch Shaming Takes Action
Jeffrey Lew wants to pay off lunch debt for every student in Washington state
- Jeffrey Lew never wants a child to be shamed on the school cafeteria line again. That's why the Seattle dad of three has been hard at work fundraising, with one goal in mind: to pay down the school lunch debt of every student in the state of Washington. Today....
One US State Just Outlawed 'Lunch Shaming' in Schools
'We have to separate the child from a debt they have no power to pay'
- Last month at a school in Arizona, a cafeteria worker stamped a second-grader's arm with the phrase "lunch money" after it was discovered he didn't have enough money in his meal account. "He was humiliated," his mother tells BuzzFeed . Elsewhere in the country, children who...
A School Lunch Director Beat Jamie Oliver at His Own Game
Reality TV villain Rhonda McCoy is a real-life hero
- It turns out it is possible to create healthy school meals without breaking the budget—as long as your town has "an overwhelming determination to prove a reality TV star wrong." In a massive dive into what's gone wrong with America's school lunches, Highline also looks...
Christie: 'I Don't Care' What's in School Lunches
If he becomes president, kids can eat 'whatever you want'
- Chris Christie may have just become the Republican frontrunner among kids, though he likely irked Michelle Obama in the process. While campaigning in Iowa on Monday, the New Jersey governor fielded a complaint from an 11-year-old boy who said pizza and crispitos, a kind of crispy taco, have vanished from...
Lunch Lady Feeds Hungry Kid, Gets Fired
'This is just breaking my heart,' says Dalene Bowden
- Dalene Bowden's response when a 12-year-old at Idaho's Irving Middle School told her she was hungry but didn't have any money seemed like a no-brainer: The food service worker gave the girl a free hot meal. In response, she received a letter of termination that called out...
Kitchen Manager Fired for Giving Kids Free Lunches
Della Curry says law needs to change
- "I had a first grader in front of me, crying, because she doesn't have enough money for lunch. Yes, I gave her lunch," says Della Curry—who got fired for the deed. Curry was the kitchen manager at Colorado's Dakota Valley Elementary School until Friday, and...
School Officials: Kids Just Throw Away Healthy Food
We can't make students eat it, says official
- It's not just House Republicans that are fighting Michelle Obama's healthy school lunches. School officials say kids across the country are actually throwing away the healthy food offered to them in place of less-healthy options. In New Mexico, whole-wheat tortillas went into the garbage, while whole-grain biscuits in...
Michelle Obama's School Lunch Rules in GOP Cross Hairs
New bill would let schools opt out of program championed by first lady
- No Obama program is safe from House Republicans—even when the Obama in question is Michelle. A GOP agriculture and food spending released yesterday contains a provision that would take a bite out of the first lady's stricter school lunch health standards, the AP reports. With many schools complaining...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Newlyweds Die on Florida Honeymoon
A Hiker Died in a Tent Full of Cash, and the Mystery Began
Iran: We Know Who Killed Our Nuclear Scientist
Biden Plans White House Surprise
Carrie Lam: I Have Piles of Cash but No Bank Account
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Get our apps
Install our app
Suggest a Story
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.