Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Family Dollar's Rat Problem
Just Got Bigger
May 2, 2022 11:40 AM CDT
Family Dollar's Rat Problem Just Got Bigger
Arkansas is suing the chain over yearslong infestation at distribution warehouse
- Earlier this year it emerged that Family Dollar had a problem with rats . Now the discount chain has a related problem with a bigger foe—the attorney general of Arkansas. The state's Leslie Rutledge filed suit against Family Dollar last week over the previously revealed rat infestation at a...
at Family Dollar Site
Lead to Closures, Recall
Feb 22, 2022 7:26 AM CST
'Unacceptable' Visitors at Family Dollar Site Lead to Closures, Recall
Rat infestation at Ark. distribution center forces 400-plus stores to close in South, product recall
- Bad news if you're a regular at Family Dollar and you're in the South: Chances are, a location near you may be shuttered temporarily after a rat infestation at an Arkansas distribution warehouse. The
reports that 404 stores in six states—Alabama, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri,...
Dies at Age 8
Jan 11, 2022 11:00 AM CST
Retired 'HeroRAT' Dies at Age 8
Magawa sniffed out land mines in Cambodia until punching his last time card last year
"A hero is laid to rest." So read the announcement Tuesday on the death of Magawa, the rat that became a legend in Cambodia for his award-winning work in sniffing out land mines. Belgian charity Apopo notes in its release that Magawa, 8, had seemed in generally...
Rat Poison Is a Menace,
and Shockingly Easy to Buy
Dec 19, 2021 4:36 PM CST
Rat Poison Is a Menace, and Shockingly Easy to Buy
EPA rules don't cover ecommerce
- Rats give us plenty of grief. They can cause outbreaks of diseases ranging from scrub typhus to leptospirosis and their urine and feces are thought to render a fifth of the world's food supply unusable. As Chris Sweeney writes in a lengthy piece for
, second-generation anticoagulants are...
1K Cats Descend on Chicago
to Take Down Its Rats
May 12, 2021 9:55 AM CDT
1K Cats Descend on Chicago to Take Down Its Rats
Hundreds of feral felines released by animal shelter to deal with city's rodent problem
- Chicago has a rodent problem—one so bad the city has been deemed the "rattiest city" in the nation for the last six years. One local animal shelter has been hard at work combating the issue, using a rather low-tech method: It releases hundreds of feral cats onto the...
They Killed the Rats
of 'Rat Island,' With
Apr 11, 2021 1:30 PM CDT
They Killed the Rats of 'Rat Island,' With Unexpected Results
Study finds the full ecosystem has fully recovered
- The name "Rat Island" has persisted for decades, but it 2012 it was officially done away with , and for good reason. The rats are gone.
dives into how that came to be and what the longer-term results have been via a March study published in
Report: Chipotle Workers
Stomped on Dozens of Rats
Dec 9, 2020 5:05 PM CST
Report: Chipotle Workers Stomped on Dozens of Rats
Employees at the Upper West Side location say the issue started over the summer
- You know it's 2020 when ... the rats have commandeered a Chipotle. That's apparently the situation on New York's Upper West side, where employees tell the
New York Post
rats forced a shut-down of a Chipotle location after a months-long saga. As they tell it, the rats first...
He Was Waiting for a Bus in
NYC. Then, a Horrifying Plunge
Oct 30, 2020 7:04 AM CDT
He Was Waiting for a Bus in NYC. Then, a Horrifying Plunge
Leonard Shoulders is 'traumatized' after falling into sinkhole full of rats in the Bronx
- Yes, 2020 has been a disaster so far, but at least for most of us, "sinkhole full of rats" wasn't also part of the narrative. Leonard Shoulders, however, can't say the same. The
notes that although New York City is "used to tall tales of...
Sep 26, 2020 9:30 AM CDT
2-Foot-Long Rat Wins Gold Medal for 'Bravery'
Magawa has a rather scary job in Cambodia
- Not a big rat fan? Meet Magawa. The furry two-footer received a gold medal Friday for his work detecting land mines in Cambodia, NBC News reports. "Magawa's dedication, skill and bravery are an extraordinary example of this and deserve the highest possible recognition," said Jan McLoughlin, head...
Amid Pandemic, Rats
Getting Increasingly Desperate
May 24, 2020 8:40 AM CDT
Amid Pandemic, Rats Getting Increasingly Desperate
As restaurant Dumpsters suffer, so, too, do rodents
- Nearly 100,000 Americans are dead , almost 40 million are unemployed , and now the
informs us that even the lowly rat is suffering amid the pandemic as shuttered restaurants means "trash bins are no longer overflowing with scrumptious leftovers hordes of rodents subsisted on." That's...
Zoo Offers Up a Little V-Day
Revenge for the Lovelorn
Feb 11, 2020 7:51 AM CST
Zoo Offers Up a Little V-Day Revenge for the Lovelorn
For $25, you can name a mouse after your ex, watch it get fed to a snake
- The San Antonio Zoo is getting in on the trend of Valentine's Day revenge , offering to name a rat after your ex and feed it to a snake. The feast goes down Feb. 14, with a $25 charge per submission. Or you can go the $5 route and name...
100 People, 2 Helicopters
Hunt for Very Special Dog
Dec 1, 2019 12:00 PM CST
100 People, 2 Helicopters Hunt for Very Special Dog
Flint, a rat-sniffer, got lost on an uninhabited island near New Zealand
- If Flint ever wondered, he can't now: People love the heck out of him. The Jack Russell-fox terrier got lost Wednesday on an island between New Zealand and Antarctica and triggered two rescue missions—one lasting seven hours, the AP reports. The rat-sniffing canine, aged about 5, was on...
Woman Found Living
in Van With 300 Rats
Oct 19, 2019 4:07 PM CDT
Woman Found Living in Van With 300 Rats
San Diego resident says she started with only 2 rats
- A woman living in a van in San Diego with her pet rats has agreed to give them up—all 300 of them, the AP reports. The
San Diego Union-Tribune
says the San Diego Humane Society went to the woman's van near Del Mar on Oct. 8. Authorities found...
The City of Light
Has a Dirty Secret
Sep 22, 2019 5:20 PM CDT
The City of Light Has a Dirty Secret
Refuse of all kinds is piling up in Paris
- Paris has long been brimming with culture, romance, beauty—and, in recent years, too much trash. From Place de la République to the Trocadéro gardens, the city is full of homeless people, beer cans, wrappers, cigarette butts, abandoned bicycles and scooters, and (of course) dog poop, the
NYC Reporters Shown
Gross New Rat Trap
Sep 6, 2019 8:48 AM CDT
NYC Reporters Shown Gross New Rat Trap
Device that drowns the rodents in a liquid solution may be placed around Brooklyn
- New York City's long war against a rising rat population could soon feature a new weapon—a trap that drowns the rodents in a solution with alcohol, reports the
New York Post
. Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams showed off the contraptions Thursday and grossed out reporters in the process...
Diner Stunned When Living
Thing Falls on Her Plate
Jun 22, 2019 1:30 PM CDT
Diner Stunned When Living Thing Falls on Her Plate
It was a rat. And she wasn't happy
- Welcome to the City of Angels: A woman visiting LA from Houston was stunned to see a rat fall on her table at a Buffalo Wild Wings, CBS Los Angeles reports. Alisha Norman says she was celebrating her birthday at the Westchester-area restaurant Thursday and watching the Women's World...
Nocturnal Rats Do
Apr 6, 2019 1:50 PM CDT
Nocturnal Rats Do Something Never Seen Before
The kangaroo rats are seen in amazing slow-motion video
- The kangaroo rat is tiny, but oh-so fast. Two new studies and a slow-motion video show how the rodents perform speedy maneuvers when a sidewinder rattlesnake comes along—including a powerful kick,
reports. "Both rattlesnakes and kangaroo rats are extreme athletes, with their maximum performance occurring during...
Inside Prison's Stitched-Up
Rats, All This
Mar 28, 2019 1:15 PM CDT
Inside Prison's Stitched-Up Rats, All This
What a fun find in Dorset, England
- Those aiming to sneak contraband into a UK prison assumed guards wouldn't inspect dead rats. Too bad the guards at Guys March prison in Dorset, England, noticed stitches over the bellies of three animals, believed to have been thrown over a prison wall. Inside, reports Reuters , were five cellphones...
Rescue of Fat Rat
Feb 27, 2019 10:50 AM CST
Hundreds Celebrate Rescue of Fat Rat
'Even animals that are hated by many deserve respect'
- Firefighters in Germany are getting praise from animal lovers around the world after a life saved: that of a very fat rat. An animal rescuer called the local volunteer fire department for backup Sunday when he couldn't free a sewer rat lodged in a manhole cover in Bensheim. First...
City Hall Faces Medieval Illness
Feb 9, 2019 1:30 PM CST
City Hall Faces Medieval Illness
Los Angeles officials hear the patter of 'tiny feet'
- The first clue Los Angeles City Council President Herb Wesson had that rats were invading City Hall, possibly carrying a potentially deadly disease, was the pitter-patter of little feet. "We had an employee or two mention they heard something in the ceiling," Wesson told the AP Thursday as...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
92 Tons of Popular Topping Recalled
The Clues Were Ingenious, but Staging the Hunt Would Kill Him
Sentencing in Flight Attendant Assault a 'Very Strong Message'
Trump Piles On Abbott, Other No-Shows at NRA Meeting
Once the Vatican's No. 2 Man, His Legacy Was Marred
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.