Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
'Something Just Happened'
Was Final Text. Then She Fell
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Feb 26, 2022 7:30 AM CST
'Something Just Happened' Was Final Text. Then She Fell
Death of Penn State sophomore Justine Gross ruled accidental
Police have ruled out foul play in the death of a Penn State sophomore who fell to her death down an 11-story garbage chute in her off-campus apartment building. Justine Gross' death has been ruled accidental and the case has been closed, the
Centre Daily Times
reports. Autopsy results...
No More 'Freshmen' or
'Sophomores' at Penn State
in case you missed it
May 23, 2021 9:56 AM CDT
No More 'Freshmen' or 'Sophomores' at Penn State
Gendered terms will be dropped from course descriptions
- Freshmen, underclassmen, and upperclassmen are going to be a thing of the past at Penn State, at least in course descriptions. The Faculty Senate has approved a proposition to remove gendered and binary terms from course and program descriptions as part of a push to use more inclusive language, the...
Penn State Clarifies
Alarming Claim on
Sep 4, 2020 8:11 AM CDT
Penn State Clarifies Alarming Claim on Athlete Health
Team doctor said a third of athletes had heart issue after recovering from virus
- Penn State's director of athletic medicine has apologized for causing "confusion" with an alarming claim about athletes who have recovered from COVID-19. Dr. Wayne Sebastianelli, who is also the Penn State football team's doctor, said earlier this week that around a third of Big Ten athletes who...
Aug 13, 2020 11:30 AM CDT
Penn State to Students: You Must Sign This Waiver
The university is forcing students to sign COVID-19 waivers
- Penn State students are running into a little hurdle at the school's online portal: a COVID-19 liability waiver. And they have to click "I agree" to get in. "They're basically saying they cannot guarantee our safety," grad student Maggie Hernandez tells Spotlight PA . Penn State...
Up in Arms
Jul 6, 2020 5:02 PM CDT
Mask Policy Has Faculty Up in Arms
Letter argues Georgia Tech should follow the science of the coronavirus
- As a research university with a staff of scientists and engineers, Georgia Tech is an institution that shouldn't ignore the realities of science, faculty members say. More than 800 of them—out of a total of 1,100—have signed a letter complaining about the university's plans to...
Penn State Alum
Dreads in Letter
Oct 9, 2019 1:33 PM CDT
Penn State Alum Slams Player's 'Disgusting' Dreads in Letter
Jonathan Sutherland's football coach quickly comes to his defense
- After a Penn State alum sent a letter to a Nittany Lions football player criticizing his dreadlocks, the football coach has come out with a strong response. Jonathan Sutherland on Tuesday tweeted an image of the letter he received from Dave Peterson, which said, among other things, that he and...
Penn State Professor Accused
of Kidnapping 2 Women
May 13, 2019 4:51 AM CDT
Penn State Professor Accused of Kidnapping 2 Women
He was moonlighting as an Uber driver
- A Penn State professor is accused of putting two women through a terrifying experience while moonlighting as an Uber driver. Police in Pittsburgh say Richard Lomotey, 36, departed from the app's route after picking the two women up around 1:30am Saturday, the
reports. He told them...
Pledge Died After a Frat Party.
Now Come the Jail Sentences
Apr 3, 2019 9:35 AM CDT
Pledge Died After a Frat Party. Now Come the Jail Sentences
Dad of late Timothy Piazza: Men were 'individual players in a larger cast, but they knew the script'
- Sentencing day has come and gone for four ex-fraternity brothers at Penn State tied to the death of a 19-year-old pledge. Per the
Centre Daily Times
, Michael Bonatucci, Luke Visser, and Joshua Kurczewski were sentenced Tuesday by Centre County Judge Brian Marshall to minimums behind bars ranging from 30 days...
Police Helicopter Causes
Havoc at Tailgate Party
Oct 2, 2018 12:11 AM CDT
Police Helicopter Causes Havoc at Tailgate Party
It sent tents flying before Penn State game
- State police in Pennsylvania are defending their use of a low-flying helicopter to bring a rowdy Penn State tailgate party under control Saturday. Video shared on social media shows the helicopter sending tents and grills flying as it hovers over the gathering outside Beaver Stadium before the game against Ohio...
1st Frat Brother Sentenced in
Penn State Hazing Death Case
Jul 31, 2018 4:43 PM CDT
1st Frat Brother Sentenced in Penn State Hazing Death Case
Ryan Burke avoids jail, is sentenced to house arrest
- A Penn State University fraternity member who plied a pledge with vodka the night he was fatally injured in a series of falls avoided jail time on Tuesday when a judge sentenced him to three months of house arrest, the AP reports. Ryan Burke, the first frat brother sentenced in...
Penn State: Outdoors
Too Risky for Outdoors Club
Apr 23, 2018 12:17 PM CDT
Penn State: Outdoors Too Risky for Outdoors Club
98-year-old group is banned from leading expeditions
- Penn State University has banned its near-century-old outdoor recreation club from going outside because it is too dangerous out in the wilderness. The 98-year-old Penn State Outing Club announced last week that the university will no longer allow the club to organize outdoor, student-led trips starting next semester. The university'...
2 Dead in Shooting
on College Campus
Dec 13, 2017 5:39 PM CST
2 Dead in Shooting on College Campus
Police say it was a murder-suicide involving Penn State employee, estranged husband
- Two people are dead in what Pennsylvania State Police say was a murder-suicide on a college campus Wednesday, KDKA reports. Police say a female employee at Penn State Beaver was convinced to come outside by her estranged husband, who shot her in a parking lot outside a campus dining hall....
Shows Pledge Given
18 Drinks in 82 Minutes
Nov 13, 2017 7:34 PM CST
Recovered Video Shows Pledge Given 18 Drinks in 82 Minutes
The police were able to recover deleted video related to Tim Piazza's death
- Newly recovered security camera footage from inside a Penn State fraternity house showed a pledge had been given at least 18 drinks in 82 minutes , investigators said Monday in announcing dozens of new charges related to the pledge's death. Centre County District Attorney Stacy Parks Miller charged 10 new...
Police Report Sheds Doubt on
Paterno's Claims on Sandusky
Sep 9, 2017 2:28 PM CDT
Police Report Sheds Doubt on Paterno's Claims on Sandusky
Alleges Paterno told complainant in 2001 it was the '2nd complaint' he'd heard
- It's long been alleged that the late Joe Paterno had been informed about sexual abuse at the hands of Jerry Sandusky decades before the Penn State head coach said he knew. But a Pennsylvania State Police report seen exclusively by CNN appears to strengthen those claims, laying out newly...
Manslaughter, Assault Charges
Tossed in Death of Frat Brother
Sep 1, 2017 12:55 PM CDT
Manslaughter, Assault Charges Tossed in Death of Frat Brother
18 members of Penn State fraternity had faced charges in death of Timothy Piazza
- After preliminary hearings that stretched over three months regarding the death of a Penn State fraternity brother , a judge has thrown out the most serious charges against 18 of the deceased's fellow brothers, Penn Live reports. According to WNEP , the judge dismissed all charges of involuntary manslaughter, aggravated assault,...
Penn State Sex Abuse
Scandal Sends 3 More to Jail
Jun 2, 2017 4:23 PM CDT
Penn State Sex Abuse Scandal Sends 3 More to Jail
Former school officials received at least 2 months in jail each
- Penn State's former president and two other ex-administrators were sentenced Friday to at least two months in jail for failing to report a child sexual abuse allegation against Jerry Sandusky a decade before his arrest engulfed the university in scandal and brought down football coach Joe Paterno, the AP...
Frat Pledge Who Died
Was Treated Like
'Roadkill,' Say Parents
May 15, 2017 2:04 PM CDT
Frat Pledge Who Died Was Treated Like 'Roadkill,' Say Parents
Jim and Evelyn Piazza speak out on son's death
- A fraternity pledge who was ordered to guzzle alcohol during a hazing ritual and twice fell down a flight of stairs before his death was treated like "roadkill," his father said Monday, days after criminal charges were filed against 18 of his son's Penn State fraternity brothers....
'Sickening' Details of Fraternity
Pledge's Final Hours Revealed
May 5, 2017 6:24 PM CDT
'Sickening' Details of Fraternity Pledge's Final Hours Revealed
Eighteen frat members charged in death of Timothy Piazza
- Eighteen fraternity members have been charged—eight of them with manslaughter—after a 19-year-old died during a pledging party in February at Penn State, the
reports. Video from security cameras inside the Beta Theta Pi frat helped authorities piece together the final hours of Timothy Piazza's life....
He Fell During a Frat Party;
12 Hours Later, a Call for Help
Feb 8, 2017 11:20 AM CST
He Fell During a Frat Party; 12 Hours Later, a Call for Help
Cops investigating death of Penn State student Timothy Piazza
- Timothy Piazza fell down a set of stairs at his Penn State fraternity around 11pm Thursday in the midst of a party. A call for help came 12 hours later. Paramedics found Piazza, 19, unresponsive when they arrived at the Beta Theta Pi fraternity Friday morning. He was pronounced dead...
New Hazard of College Life:
Roommate Spats Gone Viral
Oct 1, 2016 2:19 PM CDT
New Hazard of College Life: Roommate Spats Gone Viral
Latest is between 2 freshmen at Penn State
- When a college freshman who's just getting to know her roommate starts tweeting things like "two weeks down and I already hate my roommate!" and "my roommate situation is a horror story," the inevitable result is that newest of dorm problems: the roommate feud gone...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Musk Is Worried About Himself. So Is His Mom
Teen Admits Horrific Murder of Classmate, 13
This Is 'the Worst Kind of Earthquake'
On Roe v. Wade, Federal Judge Sees a 'Loophole'
Vendor Serves Up Another 'Insensitive' School Lunch
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.