Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
21 Species Off Endangered
List—Because They're Extinct
Oct 17, 2023 9:40 AM CDT
21 Species Off Endangered List—Because They're Extinct
US Fish and Wildlife Service pulls 10 bird species, 8 types of mussels, 2 fish, 1 fruit bat
- Twenty-one animals have been removed from the Endangered Species Act because, according to the US Fish and Wildlife Service, they're not endangered—they're extinct. The majority of the species—10 types of birds, eight types of mussels, two species of fish, and one type of bat—were listed...
Denver Zoo's Tilting
Angelfish Gets a CT Scan
Sep 5, 2023 10:30 AM CDT
Denver Zoo's Tilting Angelfish Gets a CT Scan
Turns out to be too much gas; jokes about critter having better health insurance than most ensue
- A fancy-looking French angelfish that was found one day with a funny float has its buoyancy back after taking some time from its tropical trappings to get a CT scan at the Denver Zoo. A zoo worker recently noticed the blue-and-yellow fish was swimming with a tilt, prompting a visit...
Aug 21, 2023 12:45 PM CDT
NJ Power Outage Had Unlikely Culprit
A fish fried a transformer, was likely dropped by a bird
- A power outage that cut electricity to a New Jersey community a week ago was due to an unlikely culprit—a fish that was apparently dropped by a bird and landed on a transformer, officials said. Sayreville police said Jersey Central Power and Light Company workers working on the Aug....
Sharks Holding Their Breath
Came as 'Complete Surprise'
in case you missed it
May 20, 2023 7:30 AM CDT
Sharks Holding Their Breath Came as 'Complete Surprise'
Behavior allows hammerheads to maintain body temperature during dives
- Hammerhead sharks dive more than half a mile below the ocean's surface to find and catch prey. And they hold their breath while they do it, according to researchers, who say the discovery—the first time the behavior has been witnessed in fish—came as " a complete surprise...
Elderly Couple Fried Up Some
Fish for Lunch. Both Died
in case you missed it
Apr 15, 2023 8:10 AM CDT
Elderly Couple Fried Up Some Fish for Lunch. Both Died
Daughter is now demanding stricter laws in Malaysia around toxic puffer fish
- A woman has sent up a red flag and is now lobbying for stronger laws in Malaysia around the sale of a toxic fish after her elderly parents ate some of it for lunch and died. Authorities in the state of Johor say that Lim Siew Guan and her husband,...
We May Never Find a
Fish Deeper Than This
Apr 4, 2023 8:28 AM CDT
We May Never Find a Fish Deeper Than This
Snailfish filmed just above suspected death zone in Pacific Ocean's Izu-Ogasawara trench
- Scientists have filmed the deepest fish ever observed, an incredible 27,349 feet, or 8,336 meters, deep in the Izu-Ogasawara trench southeast of Japan. The young snailfish was spotted calmly swimming by sea robots exploring the depths last September. The deepest fish observed previously was a snailfish at 8,...
Australia Struggles With
Massive Fish Die-Off
Mar 20, 2023 9:05 AM CDT
Australia Struggles With Massive Fish Die-Off
Contractors have been hired to remove millions of dead fish from New South Wales river
- Contractors are being hired to remove millions of rotting fish from a river in the Australian Outback after an unprecedented die-off following floods and hot weather, police said on Monday. The fish started dying in the Darling River near the New South Wales town of Menindee on Friday. Officials say...
Study May Turn You Off Fish
Caught in US Lakes, Rivers
Jan 18, 2023 12:49 PM CST
Study May Turn You Off Fish Caught in US Lakes, Rivers
Eating one freshwater fish is like drinking contaminated water for a month, study says
- Scientists seeking to limit human exposure to "forever chemicals"—which don't break down easily in the environment—have found alarming levels of contamination in fish caught in America's lakes and rivers. According to a study published in the journal
eating a single freshwater fish...
Nov 22, 2022 12:15 PM CST
The Queen of Goldfish Is Caught
Andy Hackett brings 67-pound Carrot to the surface in France
- If you were wowed by headlines about a 9-pound goldfish caught in South Carolina, you'll be stunned by what's come out of a lake in France. Andy Hackett was on a fishing trip with friends when he pulled up a massive goldfish weighing 67 pounds, or as much...
That Colorful Aquarium Masks
a Sometimes Dark Trade
Oct 23, 2022 4:20 PM CDT
That Colorful Aquarium Masks a Sometimes Dark Trade
Experts say demand for fish is contributing to degradation of delicate coral ecosystems
- Millions of saltwater fish of all shades and shapes are caught in Indonesia and other countries every year to fill ever more elaborate aquariums in living rooms, waiting rooms, and restaurants around the world. "It's just so much fun to just watch the antics between different varieties of...
We May Have
Oct 17, 2022 10:20 AM CDT
We May Have Underestimated Goldfish
Study finds they have good memory
- Ani DiFranco once sang about how goldfish have no memory and thus the "little plastic castle" in their bowl is a surprise to them every time they see it. She may have given goldfish a bad rap. A new study out of Oxford University suggests that goldfish actually have...
Suspiciously Heavy Fish
Lead to Chaos at Tournament
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Oct 8, 2022 6:00 AM CDT
Suspiciously Heavy Fish Lead to Chaos at Tournament
Team disqualified in Ohio after their walleyes were found stuffed with weights, fillets
- First the chess world was rocked by cheating allegations . Now, it's joined by the competitive fishing world. Video started making the rounds over the weekend promoting a "serious controversy" out of Ohio, in which a two-man team is now accused of stuffing their entries in a local tournament...
Turnaround for Fish Whose
Case Made It to Supreme Court
Oct 4, 2022 2:14 PM CDT
Turnaround for Fish Whose Case Made It to Supreme Court
The snail darter is no longer considered imperiled
- The snail darter, a tiny Southeastern fish at the center of an epic battle over Endangered Species Act protection in the 1970s, is no longer considered imperiled, officials announced Tuesday. The fish held up construction of the Tellico Dam in Tennessee for more than two years as biologists and others...
Illinois Has a New Name for
'Delicious' Invasive Species
in case you missed it
Aug 14, 2022 7:10 AM CDT
Illinois Has a New Name for 'Delicious' Invasive Species
They hope people will eat more Asian carp if it's known as 'copi'
- There's a long history of fish being renamed to widen their appeal to consumers—orange roughy was once known as slimehead, and the many names of the monkfish have included goosefish, sea-devil, and frog-fish. Now, it's the Asian carp's turn. Illinois has rebranded the fish as "...
Tons of Dead Fish
in River: 'Most Likely
Dealing With a Crime'
Aug 13, 2022 9:00 AM CDT
Tons of Dead Fish in River: 'Most Likely Dealing With a Crime'
Poland is recruiting soldiers to help deal with 'ecological catastrophe'
- Poland has deployed soldiers to help clean up the Oder River, which runs along the border with Germany, after 10 tons of dead fish surfaced from the waterway in what one official described as an "ecological catastrophe." An association of fishers in Zielona Gora, a city in the...
'Catastrophic Failure' Kills
21K Fish at UC Davis Facility
Aug 12, 2022 11:10 AM CDT
'Catastrophic Failure' Kills 21K Fish at UC Davis Facility
Chlorine exposure led to devastating loss for research programs
- A "catastrophic failure" caused the death of around 21,000 fish at a research facility this week, officials at the University of California, Davis, say. University spokesperson Andy Fell says the "devastating loss" was discovered Tuesday morning at an outdoor facility at the UC Davis Center for Aquatic...
It's the Biggest Freshwater
Fish Ever Recorded
Jun 21, 2022 7:19 AM CDT
It's the Biggest Freshwater Fish Ever Recorded
Giant stingray in Cambodia weighs in at 661 pounds
- Researchers say they've encountered the largest freshwater fish ever documented—a giant stingray stretching 13 feet long, more than 7 feet wide, and weighing some 661 pounds. "In 20 years of researching giant fish in rivers and lakes on six continents, this is the largest freshwater fish that...
Ugly Fish in More Danger of
Extinction Than Beautiful Ones
Jun 10, 2022 11:05 AM CDT
Ugly Fish in More Danger of Extinction Than Beautiful Ones
Conservation bias based on physical attractiveness is a thing, researchers say
- A new study in the
journal makes a rather academic-sounding proclamation in its headline: "The aesthetic value of reef fishes is globally mismatched to their conservation priorities." Translating that into more layman-friendly terms: We have to look out for the ugly fish, or they might die...
Makes Unusual Ruling
Jun 6, 2022 11:59 AM CDT
California Judge Makes Unusual Ruling on Bumblebees
Invertebrate insect can be classified as a fish for endangered species protections
- In a case that gives new meaning to "fish out of water," a California appeals court judge has ruled that the bumblebee can be classified as a fish. Justice Ronald Robie of Sacramento's 3rd District Court of Appeal made his decision Tuesday, and it was done for...
May 9, 2022 11:17 AM CDT
Video Catches Rare Glimpse of Elusive Fish
Highfin dragonfish is spotted in California
, better known by its more accessible name of highfin dragonfish. Scientists with the Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute in California captured video of the rarely seen creature at a depth of about 1,000 feet, thanks to a remotely operated vehicle, reports NPR . "In more than...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
UNLV Shooter Was a 67-Year-Old Professor: Sources
Celebs' Jilted Exes Are Now Dating Each Other
This Could Be Behind 'Mystery' Dog Illnesses
Deputy Killed in Police Chase of Senator's Son
Congress' $7.5B for EV Chargers Has Yielded Zero Chargers
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.