Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Christie Calls on GOP
to Stop the Lying
Sep 10, 2021 5:05 PM CDT
Christie Calls on GOP to Stop the Lying
At Reagan Library, former Trump adviser warns against 'blind faith and obedience'
- In an address delivered on hallowed ground for the GOP—the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library in California—former New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie told the Republican Party it needs to turn away from the direction Donald Trump has taken it and stop "this lying." Republicans should accept the...
Aug 6, 2021 8:04 AM CDT
Matt Gaetz's New Targets: Paul Ryan, Fox News
Fla. congressman slams former House speaker, a fellow Republican
- Matt Gaetz's new podcast debuted Thursday, and he used his inaugural episode of
to go after a former GOP bigwig. Mediaite reports the Republican congressman from Florida used part of his time to lament how far Fox News, where he used to be a regular commentator, has fallen....
Trump Fires Back at Paul Ryan
After a Critical Speech
May 28, 2021 11:21 AM CDT
Trump Fires Back at Paul Ryan After a Critical Speech
Calls former House speaker a 'curse to the Republican party'
- Two familiar names within the GOP are criticizing one another in regard to the future of the Republican Party—former President Trump and former House Speaker Paul Ryan. The one difference is that Ryan didn't mention Trump by name in his criticism, while the former president didn't hold...
May 6, 2021 1:02 PM CDT
Liz Cheney's Possible Successor Weighs In
Rep. Elise Stefanik stresses her support of Trump amid GOP political drama
- GOP Rep. Elise Stefanik has emerged as a leading contender to replace Liz Cheney in the No. 3 spot among House Republicans, and on Thursday she helped strengthen that case on her own behalf during an interview with Steve Bannon. Coverage:
The 36-year-old New York congresswoman stressed her support for
Paul Ryan Says Trump Should
Drop Election Challenges
Nov 24, 2020 6:39 PM CST
Paul Ryan Says Trump Should Drop Election Challenges
President should 'embrace the transfer of power,' he says
- Former House Speaker Paul Ryan has joined other Republicans calling for President Trump to concede the election and "embrace the transfer of power." Ryan told the Bank of America’s virtual European Credit Conference Tuesday that Trump should also abandon his legal challenges to the election results, Politico...
Trump Unloads on Twitter:
Paul Ryan a 'Lame Duck Failure'
Jul 12, 2019 3:56 AM CDT
Trump Unloads on Twitter: Paul Ryan a 'Lame Duck Failure'
'Couldn't get him out of Congress fast enough!'
- President Trump unloaded via Twitter late Thursday on former GOP House Speaker Paul Ryan, calling Ryan a "lame duck failure." Ryan is very critical of Trump in the book
by Tim Alberta of Politico, in excerpts running in various publications, the AP reports. Alberta wrote that...
Mar 13, 2019 2:40 PM CDT
Tweet Adjusts Ryan's Prediction for 2020
Former speaker had earlier said there's a way the president might lose
- Paul Ryan has tried to make clear that he expects President Trump to be triumphant in 2020, after possibly leaving a different impression earlier. "His record of accomplishment is why he'll win re-election," Ryan tweeted Wednesday. During a lecture in Florida Monday, the former House speaker had...
Mar 12, 2019 11:05 AM CDT
Paul Ryan Has Warning for Trump on 2020
'If this is about Donald Trump and his personality, he isn't going to win it'
- Paul Ryan is out of Congress, but Politico reports that the former House speaker weighed in on the 2020 race during a recent lecture in Vero Beach, Fla. Ryan sees President Trump as vulnerable to Democrats unless he starts putting the focus on policy rather than on his "personal...
May Shut Down
Dec 20, 2018 1:28 PM CST
Border Wall May Shut Down Government After All
Trump toughens his stance, says he will not sign a spending bill without funding for one
- A government shutdown is suddenly in the cards again. After the Senate appeared to lessen the risk of one by passing a temporary funding bill, the measure ran into a brick wall in the House. President Trump and Republicans are again demanding that any legislation include $5 billion to build...
In Historic First, Senate
Invokes War Powers Act
Dec 13, 2018 3:45 PM CST
In Historic First, Senate Invokes War Powers Act
Calls for US to end support for Saudi Arabia in Yemen war; 2nd vote condemns prince
- The Senate on Thursday sent what the
described as a historic rebuke to the White House over Saudi Arabia. Actually, it delivered two rebukes. First, senators voted 56-41 to invoke the War Powers Act and demand that the US end its military support of the Saudi-led coalition in...
Oct 31, 2018 2:37 PM CDT
Trump, Ryan Spar Over Birthright Citizenship
President slams House speaker after Ryan says it can't be ended with executive order
- On Tuesday, Paul Ryan offered a rare break with President Trump when he told WVLK of the president's controversial plan to end birthright citizenship , "You obviously cannot do that. You cannot end birthright citizenship with an executive order." He went on to note that conservatives "believe...
Pelosi Pressures Ryan Over
Putin Invite to Washington
Jul 20, 2018 5:00 PM CDT
Pelosi Pressures Ryan Over Putin Invite to Washington
GOP leaders say Putin has not been invited to address Congress
- A spokeswoman for House Speaker Paul Ryan says Russian President Vladimir Putin should not expect an invitation to address Congress if he visits Washington in the fall. Ryan spokeswoman AshLee Strong says "the only one talking about inviting Putin to address Congress is Nancy Pelosi," a jab at...
Paul Ryan's SUV
Jul 13, 2018 2:57 AM CDT
Woodchucks Ate Paul Ryan's SUV
'It's just dead'
- Paul Ryan is planning to buy a new car when he leaves office in January—partly because he will no longer be driven around by a security detail, and partly because a family of woodchucks ate his old one. The House speaker told an Economic Club of Washington event Thursday...
Republican Asks Seth Rogen
for a Photo. He Kinda Explodes
Jun 24, 2018 12:40 PM CDT
Republican Asks Seth Rogen for a Photo. He Kinda Explodes
'No way, man!' the comic actor says he told him
- Seth Rogen and Paul Ryan aren't exactly pals. In fact, they're not even in a photo together. Appearing Friday on
The Late Show with Stephen Colbert
, Rogen told the story of how Ryan's sons approached him for a photo earlier this month at an event hosted by...
Paul Ryan's Father's Day Video
Does Not Go Over Well
Jun 17, 2018 8:58 AM CDT
Paul Ryan's Father's Day Video Does Not Go Over Well
John Legend is not having it in light of White House stance on splitting up families at the border
- Republicans celebrating Father's Day in the era of separating migrant families , beware the wrath of liberals: Paul Ryan took to Twitter on Saturday to post a video called "How Becoming a Father Changed My Life," with a caption that read, "My life changed the day I...
Paul Ryan Gives His Opinion
on Trump Pardoning Himself
Jun 6, 2018 11:55 AM CDT
Paul Ryan Gives His Opinion on Trump Pardoning Himself
'No one is above the law'
- House Speaker Paul Ryan is agreeing with another senior House Republican who says there's no evidence that the FBI planted a "spy" in Donald Trump's 2016 campaign. The comments contradict the president, who has insisted the agency planted a "spy for political reasons and to help...
Paul Ryan's Speakership
May End Early
May 22, 2018 8:21 AM CDT
Paul Ryan's Speakership May End Early
Multiple reports suggest the lame duck might be ousted before the election
- One thing is not in dispute: Paul Ryan will not be House speaker next year. In fact, he won't even be in Congress now that he's not running for re-election . But new reports are raising the question of whether Ryan will even be allowed to finish his current...
Defeat of Farm Bill Is
a Blow to GOP Leaders
May 18, 2018 12:14 PM CDT
Defeat of Farm Bill Is a Blow to GOP Leaders
It combined strict work requirements for food stamp recipients with a renewal of farm subsidies
- In an embarrassment for House Republican leaders, conservatives on Friday scuttled a bill that combines stricter work and job training requirements for food stamp recipients with a renewal of farm subsidies popular in GOP-leaning farm country, reports the AP . Hard-right conservatives upset over the party's stalled immigration agenda opposed...
House Chaplain Is 'First to Be
Fired in the History of the US'
Apr 27, 2018 6:30 AM CDT
House Chaplain Is 'First to Be Fired in the History of the US'
Father Pat Conroy says Paul Ryan asked for his resignation
- Did Paul Ryan think the House chaplain was a meddlesome priest? Father Pat Conroy says that two weeks ago, the House speaker asked for his resignation but did not provide a reason, Politico reports. Democrats believe the priest, who was nominated by John Boehner in 2011, was forced out over...
Paul Ryan's Ex-Personal Driver
Now Wants to Replace Him
Apr 22, 2018 4:00 PM CDT
Paul Ryan's Ex-Personal Driver Now Wants to Replace Him
Bryan Steil is now the likely Republican frontrunner
- A former driver for House Speaker Paul Ryan who has been active in Wisconsin Republican politics for years announced Sunday that he is running to succeed Ryan in Congress. Bryan Steil, an attorney from Ryan's hometown of Janesville and a member of the University of Wisconsin Board of Regents,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Before Trip, Petito Worried About Laundrie's 'Episodes'
At Least 6 Killed, 24 Hurt in Parade Mass Shooting
Cheney: 'Trump Can Never Be Near the Oval Office Again'
Teen's Sudden Mental Collapse Ended in a National Park
'Denmark Was Hit by a Cruel Attack on Sunday Night'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.