Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
The Coronavirus Pandemic
Confirmed US cases: 3,175,545+ »
Read our complete coverage here »
Stories 1 - 20 |
Trump Unloads on Twitter: Paul Ryan a 'Lame Duck Failure'
'Couldn't get him out of Congress fast enough!'
- President Trump unloaded via Twitter late Thursday on former GOP House Speaker Paul Ryan, calling Ryan a "lame duck failure." Ryan is very critical of Trump in the book
by Tim Alberta of Politico, in excerpts running in various publications, the AP reports. Alberta wrote that...
Tweet Adjusts Ryan's Prediction for 2020
Former speaker had earlier said there's a way the president might lose
- Paul Ryan has tried to make clear that he expects President Trump to be triumphant in 2020, after possibly leaving a different impression earlier. "His record of accomplishment is why he'll win re-election," Ryan tweeted Wednesday. During a lecture in Florida Monday, the former House speaker had...
Paul Ryan Has Warning for Trump on 2020
'If this is about Donald Trump and his personality, he isn't going to win it'
- Paul Ryan is out of Congress, but Politico reports that the former House speaker weighed in on the 2020 race during a recent lecture in Vero Beach, Fla. Ryan sees President Trump as vulnerable to Democrats unless he starts putting the focus on policy rather than on his "personal...
Border Wall May Shut Down Government After All
Trump toughens his stance, says he will not sign a spending bill without funding for one
- A government shutdown is suddenly in the cards again. After the Senate appeared to lessen the risk of one by passing a temporary funding bill, the measure ran into a brick wall in the House. President Trump and Republicans are again demanding that any legislation include $5 billion to build...
In Historic First, Senate Invokes War Powers Act
Calls for US to end support for Saudi Arabia in Yemen war; 2nd vote condemns prince
- The Senate on Thursday sent what the
described as a historic rebuke to the White House over Saudi Arabia. Actually, it delivered two rebukes. First, senators voted 56-41 to invoke the War Powers Act and demand that the US end its military support of the Saudi-led coalition in...
Trump, Ryan Spar Over Birthright Citizenship
President slams House speaker after Ryan says it can't be ended with executive order
- On Tuesday, Paul Ryan offered a rare break with President Trump when he told WVLK of the president's controversial plan to end birthright citizenship , "You obviously cannot do that. You cannot end birthright citizenship with an executive order." He went on to note that conservatives "believe...
Pelosi Pressures Ryan Over Putin Invite to Washington
GOP leaders say Putin has not been invited to address Congress
- A spokeswoman for House Speaker Paul Ryan says Russian President Vladimir Putin should not expect an invitation to address Congress if he visits Washington in the fall. Ryan spokeswoman AshLee Strong says "the only one talking about inviting Putin to address Congress is Nancy Pelosi," a jab at...
Woodchucks Ate Paul Ryan's SUV
'It's just dead'
- Paul Ryan is planning to buy a new car when he leaves office in January—partly because he will no longer be driven around by a security detail, and partly because a family of woodchucks ate his old one. The House speaker told an Economic Club of Washington event Thursday...
Republican Asks Seth Rogen for a Photo. He Kinda Explodes
'No way, man!' the comic actor says he told him
- Seth Rogen and Paul Ryan aren't exactly pals. In fact, they're not even in a photo together. Appearing Friday on
The Late Show with Stephen Colbert
, Rogen told the story of how Ryan's sons approached him for a photo earlier this month at an event hosted by...
Paul Ryan's Father's Day Video Does Not Go Over Well
John Legend is not having it in light of White House stance on splitting up families at the border
- Republicans celebrating Father's Day in the era of separating migrant families , beware the wrath of liberals: Paul Ryan took to Twitter on Saturday to post a video called "How Becoming a Father Changed My Life," with a caption that read, "My life changed the day I...
Paul Ryan Gives His Opinion on Trump Pardoning Himself
'No one is above the law'
- House Speaker Paul Ryan is agreeing with another senior House Republican who says there's no evidence that the FBI planted a "spy" in Donald Trump's 2016 campaign. The comments contradict the president, who has insisted the agency planted a "spy for political reasons and to help...
Paul Ryan's Speakership May End Early
Multiple reports suggest the lame duck might be ousted before the election
- One thing is not in dispute: Paul Ryan will not be House speaker next year. In fact, he won't even be in Congress now that he's not running for re-election . But new reports are raising the question of whether Ryan will even be allowed to finish his current...
Defeat of Farm Bill Is a Blow to GOP Leaders
It combined strict work requirements for food stamp recipients with a renewal of farm subsidies
- In an embarrassment for House Republican leaders, conservatives on Friday scuttled a bill that combines stricter work and job training requirements for food stamp recipients with a renewal of farm subsidies popular in GOP-leaning farm country, reports the AP . Hard-right conservatives upset over the party's stalled immigration agenda opposed...
House Chaplain Is 'First to Be Fired in the History of the US'
Father Pat Conroy says Paul Ryan asked for his resignation
- Did Paul Ryan think the House chaplain was a meddlesome priest? Father Pat Conroy says that two weeks ago, the House speaker asked for his resignation but did not provide a reason, Politico reports. Democrats believe the priest, who was nominated by John Boehner in 2011, was forced out over...
Paul Ryan's Ex-Personal Driver Now Wants to Replace Him
Bryan Steil is now the likely Republican frontrunner
- A former driver for House Speaker Paul Ryan who has been active in Wisconsin Republican politics for years announced Sunday that he is running to succeed Ryan in Congress. Bryan Steil, an attorney from Ryan's hometown of Janesville and a member of the University of Wisconsin Board of Regents,...
Big Ryan Question: Will He Have to Step Down Early?
Some in GOP don't want a lame-duck speaker ahead of the midterms
- Paul Ryan's surprise decision to announce his retirement from Congress before the midterms now raises one big question: Will Republicans allow him to remain as House speaker through the end of his term or try to get a new leader in place as quickly as possible? Politico , for instance,...
With Ryan Out, Things Looking Up for the 'Iron Stache'
And more on what Ryan's retirement means
- In explaining why he would not seek re-election in November, Paul Ryan on Wednesday used the phrase "weekend dad" at least three times. The House speaker noted that if he remained in Congress his three kids would "only know me as a weekend dad. That's it right...
Paul Ryan Announces He Won't Run Again
House speaker 'is ready to devote more of his time to being a husband and a father'
- Wednesday's buzziest political development comes from Axios , which broke the news that Paul Ryan has decided not to run for re-election. The House Speaker's office made that official with a statement explaining "this morning Speaker Ryan shared with his colleagues that this will be his last year...
Paul Ryan Splits With Trump Over Tariffs
House speaker advises the White House to skip the idea
- President Trump has a notable new critic of his plan to impose big tariffs on steel and aluminum: House Speaker Paul Ryan. “We are extremely worried about the consequences of a trade war and are urging the White House to not advance with this plan,” says a spokesperson...
Paul Ryan Challenger Banned From Twitter Over Markle Post
Paul Nehlen put Cheddar Man's face on Meghan Markle's body
- Paul Nehlen is vying for Paul Ryan's Wisconsin House seat, and he won't have Twitter to help him in his quest. The man described by the
as a "fringe challenger" who lost to Ryan 16% to 84% in 2016 had his account permanently suspended in...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cohen 'Had Rug Pulled Out From Under Him' in Prison Stunner
CEO Says US Is 'Blessed' to Have Trump, Spurs Boycott
Lawyer: Pandemic Has Wrecked De Niro's Finances
Report: Feds Are Working Hard to Prevent Maxwell Suicide
Trump Boasts About Wowing Doctors on Cognitive Test
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Get our apps
Suggest a Story
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.