Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
BuzzFeed Employees Seek
Millions Over Stock Snafu
Mar 21, 2022 2:47 PM CDT
BuzzFeed Employees Seek Millions Over Stock Snafu
Group of former, current employees say they were unable to sell on IPO day
- In the early days at BuzzFeed, employees labored with relatively low pay and dreams of IPO day, when their stock options would make them whole. This is the common arrangement in many start-ups. Terms like
SPAC, stock transfer agent,
probably did not figure into employees’ thinking at the...
Look Who's Going Public
Dec 16, 2021 6:41 AM CST
Look Who's Going Public
Reddit files for IPO, wants users to be shareholders
- Reddit is going public. The popular social media site known for "ask me anything" conservations with celebrities and the hot WallStreetBets investors forum , said late Wednesday that it has confidentially filed paperwork for an initial public offering with the Securities and Exchange Commission. "The number of shares to...
Rivian Customers Cash In
on Pre-Order Stock Offer
Nov 11, 2021 5:10 PM CST
Rivian Customers Cash In on Pre-Order Stock Offer
EV buyers were eligible to buy IPO shares that then jumped
- When Rivian set up its initial public offering, the electric vehicle company set aside 7% of its IPO allocation for its directed share program. Eligible participants included anyone pre-ordering a vehicle, CNBC reports. So when Rajiv Patel put down $1,000 for an SUV, he maxed out on the stock...
Oat Milk Maker's IPO
Is Being Closely Watched
May 19, 2021 6:50 PM CDT
Oat Milk Maker's IPO Is Being Closely Watched
Analysts see Oatly IPO as a test of market's appetite for vegan food firms
- Milk alternatives are big business—and a Swedish oat milk maker's initial public offering is being seen as a big deal. Oatly's shares will start trading in New York on Thursday for between $15 and $17 each, which values the vegan food and drink maker at around $10...
Feb 11, 2021 5:55 PM CST
Bumble's Debut Makes CEO a Billionaire
Few self-made women have achieved such wealth
- Shares of Bumble reached $72 on Thursday afternoon in the company's market debut, making its chief executive not only wealthy but a rarity. That price meant that Whitney Wolfe Herd's shares were worth $1.5 billion. Few tech entrepreuners bursting into such territory are women, Bloomberg reports; 559...
Ignoring IPO Email
Costs Airbnb Hosts
Dec 13, 2020 9:25 AM CST
Ignoring IPO Email Costs Airbnb Hosts
Some hosts cashed in, buying shares at the opening price, and some ignored the offer
- Even for hosts, it was easy to overlook an email last month with the subject line "Airbnb's Directed Share Program." That was costly, though. The email was an offer to get in on the company's initial public offering, NPR reports. Airbnb earmarked as many as 3....
Told of Opening
Price, Airbnb Boss
Dec 10, 2020 4:19 PM CST
Told of Opening Price, Airbnb Boss Is Stumped
Company's valuation more than doubles for IPO
- In preparing for its IPO, Airbnb priced its shares at $68. The stock price doubled in premarket trading to open Thursday on the Nasdaq at $146, a development that company co-founder and chief executive officer was not prepared for, Fast Company reports. That puts Airbnb at a market cap of...
This IPO Could
Raise a Record $35B
Oct 26, 2020 5:40 PM CDT
This IPO Could Raise a Record $35B
Chinese fintech Ant Group giant hopes to top Saudi Aramco's sale last year
- The world's largest fintech company, China's Ant Group, will try to raise nearly $35 billion in a huge public offering of stock that would shatter records. Alibaba-affiliated Ant Group, which operates a suite of financial products including the Alipay digital wallet in China and one of the world'...
As Investors Scoop Up Shares,
One Thing Looms Over BTS
Oct 6, 2020 9:50 AM CDT
As Investors Scoop Up Shares, One Thing Looms Over BTS
K-pop group's star is rising—but military service awaits
- Ordinary investors got a shot at shares in the management agency of K-pop sensation BTS on Monday and Tuesday. And they didn't hold back, requesting 58.4 trillion won worth—the equivalent of $50.2 billion. As AFP reports, that's 607 times more than the value of the...
Investor Makes $12B on
Biggest Software IPO Ever
Sep 17, 2020 10:40 AM CDT
Investor Makes $12B on Biggest Software IPO Ever
Snowflake has a massive debut
- If you're hearing the word "snowflake" a lot today, it has nothing to do with politics. Snowflake the tech company is coming off the largest software IPO in history on Wednesday, reports CNN . The company priced its shares for the initial public offering at $120, but they opened...
Get Ready for a Huge IPO
Nov 3, 2019 7:53 AM CST
Get Ready for a Huge IPO
After years of delays, offering of state-owned oil giant Saudi Aramco is finally underway
- Saudi Arabia began an initial public offering Sunday of a sliver of oil giant Saudi Aramco after years of delay, hoping international and local investors will pay billions for a stake in the kingdom's crown jewels, reports the AP . An approval by Saudi Arabia's Capital Market Authority served...
Giant Just Went Public
May 10, 2019 10:36 AM CDT
Another Ride-Sharing Giant Just Went Public
Uber shares were going for $45 each, raising $8.1B, just weeks after Lyft's IPO
- With a ring of the opening bell, Uber began picking up passengers as a newly minted public company Friday, giving investors a chance to bet on a service with huge potential but a long way from turning a profit. Shares in the ride-hailing giant were sold in an initial public...
Beyond Meat's IPO
Was Beyond Successful
May 3, 2019 1:00 AM CDT
Beyond Meat's IPO Was Beyond Successful
Share price more than doubled on first day
- Investors have a big appetite for fake meat. The shares of Beyond Meat, the purveyor of plant-based burgers and sausages, more than doubled Thursday in its Nasdaq debut. It's the first pure-play maker of vegan "meat" to go public, according to Renaissance Capital, which researches and tracks IPOs....
Most Profitable Company in
World Isn't What You Think
Apr 1, 2019 6:47 PM CDT
Most Profitable Company in World Isn't What You Think
Saudi oil giant cleared $111 billion in 2018
- Saudi Arabia has let the world see the financials for its national oil company for the first time, and they couldn't be much better. Saudi Aramco posted $111 billion in net income in 2018, making it the world's most profitable company by far. That $111 billion is more...
As Lyft Goes Public,
Founders Get Very Rich
Mar 29, 2019 12:00 PM CDT
As Lyft Goes Public, Founders Get Very Rich
$510M for John Zimmer and $700M for Logan Green, reports 'Forbes'
- Think ride-hailing is the future of transportation? It's now possible to put some money behind your faith. Lyft began trading publicly on the Nasdaq exchange Friday, and investors seemed receptive. Shares opened at $87.24, roughly 21% higher than the $72 the company settled on for its IPO, reports...
Lyft's IPO Stats:
Fast Growth, Big Losses
Mar 1, 2019 5:10 PM CST
Lyft's IPO Stats: Fast Growth, Big Losses
Company will be going public in March or April
- Lyft got the ball rolling Friday on what the
Wall Street Journal
expects will be one of the busiest seasons for tech IPOs in years. Lyft won't actually go public until late March or early April, but it released its IPO documentation to give the public a glimpse into...
Report: Ride-Hailing Firm
Plans a Huge Change
Dec 8, 2018 9:47 AM CST
Report: Ride-Hailing Firm Plans a Huge Change
Uber could issue IPO in early 2019
- Ride-hailing giant Uber has filed confidential preliminary paperwork for selling stock to the public, the AP reports. That's according to a report late Friday in the
Wall Street Journal
. Citing people familiar with the matter whom it did not identify, the
says San Francisco-based Uber Technologies Inc. filed...
Who Got Filthy Rich From Snap
IPO: a High School, Millennials
Mar 3, 2017 8:21 AM CST
Who Got Filthy Rich From Snap IPO: a High School, Millennials
Company's 26-year-old CEO is now looking at a $6B fortune
- A California high school has made millions of dollars from the initial public offering of shares in Snap Inc., the company behind Snapchat. The board of Saint Francis High School in Mountain View agreed to invest $15,000 in seed money in Snap in 2012, when the company was just...
It's a Good Day to Be
a Snap Co-Founder
Mar 2, 2017 11:33 AM CST
It's a Good Day to Be a Snap Co-Founder
Snap shares jumps 48% in IPO debut
- Shares of Snap Inc. opened for trading on the New York Stock Exchange on Thursday at $24 per share, up from the IPO price of $17 per share—and kept climbing, per MarketWatch . As of this writing, prices have risen 48% to over $25 per share. Snap co-founders Evan Spiegel,...
Snap's Much-Awaited IPO
Looms, CEO 'Elusive'
Mar 1, 2017 9:03 AM CST
Snap's Much-Awaited IPO Looms, CEO 'Elusive'
Snap founder Evan Spiegel as secretive as ever right before much-hyped price set
- Those who remember the hype when Alibaba priced its initial public offering of stock in 2014 will get to relive that excitement Wednesday when Snap does the same. Reuters reports the owner of the Snapchat messaging app will serve up a number at the end of the trading day, with...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Anne Heche's Final Autopsy Results Released
Polygamous Leader Had 'Wives' as Young as 9: FBI
Cancer That Kirstie Alley Battled Is Specified
Raphael Warnock Wins Georgia Runoff Election
Iranian Patrol Boat Tries to Temporarily Blind US Navy Ships
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.