Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Read the latest news about driving under the influence and drunk driving stories on Newser.com
Stories 1 - 20 |
Woman Guilty of Murder in
Deaths of Troopers, Pedestrian
Nov 23, 2023 1:20 PM CST
Woman Guilty of Murder in Deaths of Troopers, Pedestrian
Jayana Webb sentenced to up to 60 years in prison
- A woman has been sentenced to decades in prison after pleading guilty to driving under the influence and then striking and killing two state troopers and a pedestrian on an interstate in Philadelphia last year. Jayana Webb, 23, pleaded guilty Wednesday to three counts each of third-degree murder and homicide...
AI Can Predict How
Drunk You Are
Nov 19, 2023 4:55 PM CST
AI Can Predict How Drunk You Are
Researchers trained AI to measure intoxication based on people reciting tongue twisters
- Start practicing your tongue twisters, because artificial intelligence might be judging your sobriety on how well you recite them soon. At least that's what some researchers suggest after conducting a study analyzing intoxication levels based on speech that had remarkable accuracy. The
walks through the findings in their...
Ex-Raider Ruggs Sentenced
for Deadly DUI Crash
Aug 9, 2023 2:16 PM CDT
Ex-Raider Ruggs Sentenced for Deadly DUI Crash
'I have no excuses,' he says
- Former Las Vegas Raiders player Henry Ruggs was sentenced Wednesday to at least three years in a Nevada prison for killing a woman in a fiery crash while driving his sports car drunk at speeds up to 156mph. He pleaded guilty in May to felony DUI causing death and misdemeanor...
No Bail for Woman Accused
of Killing Bride in DUI Crash
Aug 2, 2023 3:19 PM CDT
No Bail for Woman Accused of Killing Bride in DUI Crash
Judge says Jamie Komoroski must remain in custody until March 2024 trial
- The woman accused of slamming into a newlywed couple's golf cart while driving drunk, killing the bride and seriously injuring the groom, has been in jail for three months—and she won't be getting out any time soon. At a hearing Tuesday, a South Carolina judge rejected 25-year-old...
Company Must Reinstate Driver
Who Drank 9 Beers, Crashed
Aug 2, 2023 2:30 PM CDT
Company Must Reinstate Driver Who Drank 9 Beers, Crashed
Canadian woman's alcoholism is a disability, labor arbitrator says
- A Canadian truck driver who admitted drinking at least nine beers before she crashed on a Pennsylvania highway was, unsurprisingly, fired by her employer. But in an unusual twist, a labor arbitrator has ordered trucking company Groupe Robert to reinstate her, saying that her alcoholism is a disability and the...
United Airlines Pilot Arrived at
Work 'Staggering, Eyes Glassy'
Jul 28, 2023 1:30 AM CDT
United Airlines Pilot Arrived at Work 'Staggering, Eyes Glassy'
He was arrested on suspicion of drunkenness, sentenced by French court
- A 63-year-old American pilot arrived at Paris' Charles de Gaulle Airport, where he was scheduled Sunday to fly a United Airlines plane to Washington, DC. Problem being that he was obviously drunk, police say. "He was staggering slightly, his eyes were glassy, and his mouth pasty" when he showed...
She Refused Ride From Drunk
Coworker, Still Ended Up Dead
Jun 15, 2023 9:09 AM CDT
She Refused Ride From Drunk Coworker, Still Ended Up Dead
Cops: Madison Faltisco fatally struck by Joshua Schiano as she walked home in Clay, NY
- After a night out, an upstate New York woman refused to get into a vehicle with her intoxicated coworker, saying she would rather walk home, a journey of between 3 and 4 miles. "She didn't get very far,"
reports. After walking less than a quarter...
Move in Bid
to Avoid DUI
May 16, 2023 11:15 AM CDT
Cops: Driver Makes Bold Move in Bid to Avoid DUI
Officer says Colorado driver put his dog in the driver's seat
- An alleged drunk driver in Colorado tried to avoid arrest by putting his dog in the driver's seat, according to police, who were not fooled. Indeed, the police officer who caught the unidentified male driving 52mph in a 30-mph zone shortly before midnight Saturday "watched the entire process"...
There's a Silver Lining to This
Nation's Drunk-Driving Problem
Mar 11, 2023 6:30 AM CST
There's a Silver Lining to This Nation's Drunk-Driving Problem
Latvia is sending confiscated vehicles to Ukraine to help it in its fight against Russia
- There's apparently a lot of drunk driving going on in Latvia, which claims some of the highest rates in Europe, and a good number of cars have ended up confiscated and languishing at state impound sites. That's thanks to a recently instituted law that allows for the government...
Driving on Frozen Canal Ends
Badly for Indianapolis Motorist
Jan 2, 2023 12:37 PM CST
Driving on Frozen Canal Ends Badly for Indianapolis Motorist
Driver said her GPS made her do it
- Jacob Aldrich and three relatives were out enjoying a favorite activity on Christmas night—skating on Indianapolis' frozen Downtown Canal—when the sight of a car on the ice gave them pause. Per
USA Today ,
nobody knew what to think at first. "My immediate assumption [was] that it was...
Car Crash Study Finds
Drugs Are Prevalent
Dec 14, 2022 2:55 PM CST
Car Crash Study Finds Drugs Are Prevalent
Over half of car crash victims had drugs in system
- A large study by US highway safety regulators found that more than half the people injured or killed in traffic crashes had one or more drugs, or alcohol, in their bloodstreams. Also, just over 54% of injured drivers had drugs or alcohol in their systems, with THC, the active ingredient...
Fiery Crash Kills Owner of
Celebrity Hangout, Son
Nov 4, 2022 9:00 AM CDT
Fiery Crash Kills Owner of Celebrity Hangout, Son
Kevin Gonzales, facing double murder charges, seen undergoing sobriety test
- The owner of a celebrity hangout and his young son have died in a horrific, fiery crash in California that is being blamed on a suspected drunk driver. Kevin Gonzales, 21, is facing charges of double murder after police say he slammed his vehicle into a classic Ford Mustang carrying...
Crowd-Surfed, Then Got a DWI
Oct 12, 2022 9:25 AM CDT
School Superintendent Crowd-Surfed, Then Got a DWI
James Thomson was spotted flying high at NY high school football game before his arrest
- When you're the superintendent of a school district, it's perfectly fine to attend school events and show enthusiasm—but maybe not
much enthusiasm. Jason D. Thomson may be reflecting upon that after a weekend that kicked off with his attendance at Baker High School's football game...
NTSB: Put a
in Every New Car
Sep 21, 2022 7:41 AM CDT
NTSB: Put a Booze Detector in Every New Car
Congress has already required NHTSA to make automakers install systems within 3 years
- The National Transportation Safety Board is recommending that all new vehicles in the US be equipped with blood alcohol monitoring systems that can stop an intoxicated person from driving. The recommendation, if enacted by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, could reduce the number of alcohol-related crashes, one of the...
Speaks Out on
of My Life'
Aug 20, 2022 7:00 AM CDT
Hope Solo Speaks Out on 'Worst Night of My Life'
Retired soccer goalkeeper says drinking that led to DUI spurred partly from postpartum depression
- Nearly a month after pleading guilty to charges of driving while impaired in North Carolina in late March, while her twin toddlers were in the car, Hope Solo is talking publicly about what happened. Making an appearance this week on her
Hope Solo Speaks
podcast , the 41-year-old former soccer goalkeeper...
Killed in Golf Cart Crash
Aug 9, 2022 1:04 PM CDT
Grandfather, Grandkids Killed in Golf Cart Crash
Driver of SUV involved in collision faces DUI charges
- Four people killed in a weekend golf cart collision in Texas were a grandfather, two of his grandchildren, and a niece who were visiting Galveston for a quick vacation before school began, police said. The crash happened Saturday after a driver accused of being intoxicated ran a stop sign and...
DUIs on Golf Carts and
Scooters? Welcome to Florida
Aug 4, 2022 7:10 PM CDT
DUIs on Golf Carts and Scooters? Welcome to Florida
Recent arrests occurred along state's busiest interstate, at Walmart
- A woman with an open bottle of Jack Daniel's whiskey in a bag was arrested for driving a golf cart on Florida's busiest interstate while drunk, according to an arrest report. The 58-year-old woman was arrested Saturday night on the shoulder of Interstate 95. She's now facing...
Jul 26, 2022 1:12 AM CDT
Hope Solo Pleads Guilty
Gets 30 days, fine in DWI case
Hope Solo on Monday pleaded guilty to driving while impaired and was sentenced to 30 days, with 30 days' credit given for the time she spent in an inpatient rehab facility . She was also hit with $3,100 in fees and fines and ordered to complete all recommended substance...
Nancy Pelosi's Husband Paul
Arrested for Suspected DUI
May 29, 2022 8:41 PM CDT
Nancy Pelosi's Husband Paul Arrested for Suspected DUI
The Speaker of the House was in Rhode Island at the time
- Paul Pelosi, the 82-year-old husband of Nancy Pelosi, was arrested this weekend on suspicion of DUI in Northern California, police records showed Sunday. Paul Pelosi was taken into custody late Saturday in Napa County north of San Francisco, according to a sheriff's office online booking report cited by the...
Bill: Drunk Drivers Who Kill
Parents Must Compensate Kids
Apr 22, 2022 8:47 AM CDT
Bill: Drunk Drivers Who Kill Parents Must Compensate Kids
Bill is expected to be signed by Gov. Bill Lee in Tennessee
- Drunk drivers who kill the parent of a minor will be forced to pay child support until the child reaches the age of 18 under a new law to be signed in Tennessee. House Bill 1834 unanimously passed the state Senate on Wednesday after gaining unanimous support in the state...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Spotify Staffers Walk Into Bad News on Monday
Pentagon: US Ships Were Attacked in Red Sea
He Had Headaches for Months. Doctors Made a Surprising Find
America's Avocado Habit Is Wreaking Havoc in Mexico
Dr Pepper's Tuition Toss Was a Lot More Exciting Than Usual
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.