Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Amid Rush Hour in
Jerusalem, 2 Giant Blasts
Nov 23, 2022 8:49 AM CST
Amid Rush Hour in Jerusalem, 2 Giant Blasts
Teen killed, 18 hurt after bomb attacks at 2 Israeli bus stations
- Two blasts went off near bus stops in Jerusalem at the height of morning rush hour on Wednesday, killing a Canadian-Israeli teenager and injuring at least 18, in what police said were suspected attacks by Palestinians. The first explosion occurred near a typically crowded bus stop on the edge of...
After Days of
Violence in Gaza
Aug 8, 2022 12:00 AM CDT
Ceasefire Between Israel, Palestinians After Days of Violence in Gaza
After 3 days of the worst fighting since last year
- A ceasefire between Israel and Palestinian militants took effect late Sunday in a bid to end nearly three days of violence that killed dozens of Palestinians and disrupted the lives of hundreds of thousands of Israelis, the AP reports. The flare-up was the worst fighting between Israel and Gaza militant...
Risk 'All-Out War'
Aug 5, 2022 12:52 PM CDT
Israeli Airstrikes Risk 'All-Out War'
At least 8 are killed, 40 hurt in Gaza; Israel says it was targeting Islamic Jihad
- Israel unleashed a wave of airstrikes in Gaza on Friday, killing at least eight people, including a senior militant, and wounding another 40, according to Palestinian officials. Israel said it was targeting the Islamic Jihad militant group in response to an "imminent threat" following the arrest of a senior...
Israel Begins Investigation
of Police Actions at Funeral
May 14, 2022 12:40 PM CDT
Israel Begins Investigation of Police Actions at Funeral
Officers beat mourners during procession for Al Jazeera journalist
: Israeli police announced Saturday they're investigating the actions of officers during a journalist's funeral that became violent. International criticism of the officers, who attacked pallbearers trying to reach a church in Jerusalem, has been widespread since the confrontation Friday, the
Wall Street Journal
reports. President Biden is...
Al Jazeera, Israel Clash
Over Death of Reporter
May 11, 2022 6:11 AM CDT
Al Jazeera, Israel Clash Over Death of Reporter
Palestinian journalist Shireen Abu Akleh, a US citizen, was killed during Israeli raid in West Bank
- A female journalist for Al Jazeera was shot and killed while covering an Israeli raid in the occupied West Bank town of Jenin early Wednesday. The broadcaster and a reporter who was wounded in the incident blamed Israeli forces, while Israel claimed there was evidence the two were hit by...
Nixes a Hebrew
of Her Novel
in case you missed it
Oct 16, 2021 7:00 AM CDT
Sally Rooney Nixes a Hebrew Translation of Her Novel
Author's decision is due to her opinion on the Israel-Palestine conflict
- Sally Rooney, an author who's been referred to as "the first great millennial novelist," is making her stance on the Israel-Palestine conflict crystal clear: The 30-year-old won't allow a Hebrew translation of her latest novel. Rooney rejected an offer from Israeli publisher Modan, which published her...
Israel Breaks Ceasefire
Jun 16, 2021 12:05 AM CDT
After Incendiary Balloons Launched, Israel Breaks Ceasefire
The balloons, in turn, were launched from Gaza in response to an Israeli march
- Israeli aircraft carried out a series of airstrikes at militant sites in the Gaza Strip early Wednesday, the first such raids since a shaky cease-fire ended the war with Hamas last month, the AP reports. The airstrikes targeted facilities used by Hamas militants for meetings to plan attacks, the Israeli...
Blinken Says US Will
Reopen Jerusalem Consulate
May 26, 2021 12:44 AM CDT
Blinken Says US Will Reopen Jerusalem Consulate
Secretary of State makes first official visit to the region
- Secretary of State Antony Blinken on Tuesday announced plans to reopen a key diplomatic outreach office to the Palestinians and pledged nearly $40 million in new aid—reversing key policies of the Trump administration as he moved to bolster the embattled Palestinian government in the West Bank. On his first...
He Was Walking to a
Pro-Israel Rally. Then,
'4 Terrifying Minutes'
May 22, 2021 8:30 AM CDT
He Was Walking to a Pro-Israel Rally. Then, '4 Terrifying Minutes'
Jewish man beaten by mob in NYC's Times Square: 'I could have died'
- A Jewish man headed toward a pro-Israel rally over the current conflict in the Gaza Strip was beaten by a mob in New York City's Times Square earlier this week, with the relentless attack continuing for what the
New York Daily News
describes as "four terrifying minutes."...
US Shoots Down UN Statement
Condemning Violence in Gaza
May 18, 2021 12:50 AM CDT
US Shoots Down UN Statement Condemning Violence in Gaza
The only country on the Security Council to do so
- The UN Security Council was considering a statement condemning the violence in Gaza, which has left hundreds of Palestinians dead including dozens of women and children, and calling for a ceasefire—but the US blocked it Monday, the
Wall Street Journal
reports. According to Al Jazeera , that's the third...
Amid Deadly Israeli Airstrike,
Fears of an 'Intifada'
May 15, 2021 5:30 AM CDT
Amid Deadly Israeli Airstrike, Fears of an 'Intifada'
10 family members, including 8 children, die in Gaza City, raising concerns of Palestinian uprising
- An Israeli air raid in Gaza City killed at least 10 Palestinians, mostly children, early Saturday in the deadliest single strike since the battle with Gaza's militant Hamas rulers erupted earlier this week. Both sides pressed for an advantage as ceasefire efforts gathered strength. The latest outburst of violence...
Jerusalem at 'Brink of
Eruption' After Latest
Clash Hurts Hundreds
May 10, 2021 6:33 AM CDT
Jerusalem at 'Brink of Eruption' After Latest Clash Hurts Hundreds
Medics say at least 153 were hospitalized after Israeli police confronted Palestinian protesters
- Israeli police firing tear gas, stun grenades, and rubber-coated bullets clashed with Palestinian stone-throwers at a flashpoint Jerusalem holy site on Monday, the latest in a series of confrontations pushing the contested city to the brink of eruption. More than a dozen tear gas canisters and stun grenades landed in...
Israel Says Gaza Strike
Killed 'Ticking Time Bomb'
Nov 12, 2019 12:19 AM CST
Israel Says Gaza Strike Killed 'Ticking Time Bomb'
Islamic Jihad vows revenge for deaths of commander, wife
- Israel killed a senior Islamic Jihad commander in Gaza early Tuesday in a rare targeted killing that threatened to unleash a fierce round of cross-border violence with Palestinian militants. The militant group said the commander's wife was also killed in the airstrike and that their children were wounded. Air...
For a Month, a
Lull. Then Came
the 90 Rockets
May 4, 2019 8:00 AM CDT
For a Month, a Lull. Then Came the 90 Rockets
Reports out of Israel of rockets fired from Gaza Strip, retaliatory airstrikes against Palestinians
- Palestinian militants in the Gaza Strip fired at least 90 rockets into southern Israel on Saturday, per the Israeli military, triggering retaliatory airstrikes and tank fire against militant targets in the blockaded enclave and shattering a monthlong lull in violence. Gaza's Health Ministry said a 22-year-old Palestinian, Emad Nassir,...
After Botched Israeli Raid,
a 'Serious Escalation'
Nov 13, 2018 6:01 AM CST
After Botched Israeli Raid, a 'Serious Escalation'
Gaza militants fired off dozens of rockets, leaving one man dead, at least 20 injured
- Gaza militants fired dozens of rockets at southern Israel early Tuesday, killing a man in a strike on a residential building, and warning they'd escalate their attacks if Israel continues bombing targets in the Gaza Strip. The cross-border attacks, which were triggered by a botched Israeli undercover raid into...
Trump Shares His Preference:
'I Like the 2-State Solution'
Sep 26, 2018 10:49 AM CDT
Trump Shares His Preference: 'I Like the 2-State Solution'
President wades into Middle East politics at the UN
- President Trump waded into thorny Middle East politics while at the United Nations on Wednesday, endorsing the two-state solution to bring an end to the decades-long conflict between Israel and the Palestinians, while poised to denounce the dangers posed by Iran. Trump, a day after being greeted with laughter by...
1 Dead After Palestinian Boat
Sails Beyond Fishing Zone
Feb 25, 2018 10:10 AM CST
1 Dead After Palestinian Boat Sails Beyond Fishing Zone
Israeli navy fired on boat
- The Israeli military says it has opened fire on a Palestinian boat off the Gaza coast, killing one man who was on board, the AP reports. The military says the boat sailed beyond an Israeli-imposed designated fishing zone, ignoring verbal warnings and warning shots. It says naval forces then opened...
'Day of Rage'
Dec 8, 2017 10:10 AM CST
Jerusalem Decision Triggers 'Day of Rage'
At least one dead in protests over Trump's decision to recognize city as Israeli capital
- Palestinians angry over President Trump's recognition of Jerusalem as Israel's capital clashed with Israeli troops at 30 locations across the West Bank and Gaza on Friday, resulting in at least one death, reports the AP . One Palestinian was killed in skirmishes between protesters and Israeli troops along the...
How Middle East
Jun 4, 2017 12:59 PM CDT
How Middle East Conflict Could've Gone Nuclear
Israel reportedly planned to detonate atomic device during 1967 war
- Israel has never officially admitted that it developed nuclear weapons. But in interviews recorded nearly two decades ago, a former Israeli brigadier general describes a "doomsday operation" to detonate an atomic weapon on top of a mountain near Egypt during the Arab-Israeli war. Avner Cohen, an expert on Israel'...
Carter: Time for
US to Recognize
Palestine Is Now
Nov 29, 2016 9:11 AM CST
Carter: Time for US to Recognize Palestine Is Now
America should grant diplomatic recognition to Palestine before Obama leaves WH: Jimmy Carter
- Time is running out before the Oval Office changes hands, and in Jimmy Carter's mind, that leaves a limited window for one major thing on America's to-do list: helping Palestine receive UN membership by granting diplomatic recognition before President Obama leaves the White House. In his opinion piece...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Dianne Feinstein Is Dead at 90
27 Years After Tupac Shakur Killing, a Murder Charge
House Approves Amendment to Make Defense Secretary's Salary $1
Costco's Newest Product Keeps Selling Out in Just 'Hours'
Trump's Comment Sparks Steps by Milley
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.