Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Tears Flow as 3rd-Graders
Surprised With Free College
May 11, 2022 1:11 PM CDT
Tears Flow as 3rd-Graders Surprised With Free College
It's the second such gift from Arizona's Rosztoczy Foundation—and not the last
- A group of 63 third-graders in Phoenix, Ariz., have just been offered a full ride to college. And don't worry, the offer did not come from the overpromising Michael Scott . Instead, it's from Arizona's Rosztoczy Foundation , a private family organization with a history of following through, per...
Feb 15, 2022 12:27 PM CST
Priest Resigns After 20-Year-Long Semantics Error
Rev. Andres Arango of Phoenix used the word 'we' instead of 'I' in baptisms, rendering all invalid
- If you or any of your children have been baptized in San Diego, Arizona, or Brazil over the past two decades, you might want to check who the presiding pastor was at that purification ceremony. That's because the Rev. Andres Arango, a priest in the Diocese of Phoenix, has...
5 Officers Shot, 4 More
Hurt by Ricochets in Ambush
Feb 11, 2022 2:54 PM CST
5 Officers Shot, 4 More Hurt by Ricochets in Ambush
All are expected to survive in Phoenix; gunman is dead, a woman is critically injured
(This file has been updated throughout with new details.)
A man ambushed a police officer who responded to a call at a Phoenix home early Friday, shooting him several times, then rained more gunfire on other officers who tried to rescue a baby that was placed outside the door....
Hailed as a Hero at Conference,
Rittenhouse Warns of Lawsuits
Dec 22, 2021 4:13 PM CST
Hailed as a Hero at Conference, Rittenhouse Warns of Lawsuits
Organization welcomes 18-year-old, who says 'justice was served'
- Given a hero's welcome at a conservative youth conference in Phoenix, Kyle Rittenhouse told the crowd he was the victim of a government attack. "My trial was an example of them trying to come after our Second Amendment rights, our right to defend ourselves and trying to take...
Probe: Phoenix Cops Had a
Controversial 'Challenge Coin'
Aug 13, 2021 2:15 PM CDT
Probe: Phoenix Cops Had a Controversial 'Challenge Coin'
Investigation wraps up into cop-shared coins depicting protester getting shot in the groin
- Two independent probes into the Phoenix PD have been completed, and its chief has been suspended for a day due to their findings. Per the 37-page report by the Ballard Spahr law firm, released Thursday by City Manager Ed Zuercher, one of the probes confirmed earlier whispers that a "...
Phoenix Police Also Are In
for a Federal Investigation
Aug 5, 2021 5:06 PM CDT
Phoenix Police Also Are In for a Federal Investigation
Garland announces third review of a city's law enforcement activities
- The US Justice Department is launching a widespread probe into the police force in Phoenix to examine whether officers have been using excessive force and abusing people experiencing homelessness. The investigation into the City of Phoenix and the Phoenix Police Department is the third sweeping civil investigation into a law...
One Dead, 12 Hurt After
Shooting Spree in Arizona
Jun 18, 2021 12:02 AM CDT
One Dead, 12 Hurt After Shooting Spree in Arizona
One person found fatally shot in car, others expected to survive
- One person was shot dead and a dozen others injured after a man allegedly went on a drive-by shooting spree over the course of an hour and a half in Arizona's Phoenix metro area Thursday morning. Police say there were "eight incidents," CNN reports. Of the 12...
Fire Drew Phoenix's
Biggest Response Ever
Jun 7, 2021 7:25 PM CDT
Fire Drew Phoenix's Biggest Response Ever
Recycling yard blaze could be seen from space
- With the huge fire in a Phoenix recycling yard down to a few smoking hotspots Monday, the scale of the weekend blaze became clear. The Phoenix Fire Department mounted the largest response in its history, the
reports. At one point Saturday, the day the blaze started, more than...
Roller Coaster Strands 22
May 16, 2021 12:30 PM CDT
Roller Coaster Strands 22
Ride turns into rescue at Phoenix amusement park
- Firefighters safely rescued 22 people who were stuck for about two hours when a roller coaster stalled mid-ride in Phoenix. The cars stopped on a banked curve about 20 feet off the ground on the Desert Storm ride at Castles N' Coasters, CNN reports. "It was scary because we...
Here's Where Millennials Are
Flocking to Across America
Apr 17, 2021 1:20 PM CDT
Here's Where Millennials Are Flocking to Across America
The 25-to-39 set is defecting from big cities to smaller ones
- Before the pandemic, millennials were already starting to ditch America's biggest cities, leaving New York, Chicago, and Los Angeles for opportunities in cozier urban enclaves, per CNBC . COVID hasn't changed that trend, and SmartAsset wanted to see which smaller cities draw the demographic of those ages 25 to...
Here Are the
US Cities Hardest
Oct 26, 2020 11:20 AM CDT
Here Are the US Cities Hardest Hit Financially by COVID
Half of America's top 10 are located in one state
- With more than 225,000 dead and 8.6 million cases of COVID-19 in the US, the health consequences of the virus are obvious. But the financial repercussions have also been devastating, and some areas are suffering more than others. WalletHub looked at the biggest US cities across nine metrics...
For 20 Weeks in 2020, This
City Saw Triple-Digit Temps
Oct 16, 2020 9:52 AM CDT
For 20 Weeks in 2020, This City Saw Triple-Digit Temps
Phoenix shattered a bunch of heat records this year
- It's been a hot Arizona summer, and nowhere more so than in the state's capital. "Almost every heat record that we have here in Phoenix, we've broken this year—shattered some of those records, even," a National Weather Service meteorologist tells the
Oct 9, 2020 2:45 AM CDT
Waymo Launches Fully Driverless Ride Service
Phoenix vehicles will no longer have backup drivers
- Waymo is allowing the general public to hitch a ride in its driverless autonomous vehicles in Phoenix, expanding a service it had been quietly offering to a select group of riders for the past year. The vehicles, which will have no back-up drivers behind the wheel to take over in...
Federal Security Officer
Shot Outside Courthouse
Sep 15, 2020 6:45 PM CDT
Federal Security Officer Shot Outside Courthouse
Phoenix suspect is in custody
- A drive-by shooting wounded a federal security officer outside the US courthouse in downtown Phoenix on Tuesday, and a person was later taken into custody, authorities said. The officer was taken to a hospital and was expected to recover, according to city police and the FBI. Jill McCabe, a spokeswoman...
Sister's Long Crusade
Ends in Murder Charge
Aug 26, 2020 5:15 PM CDT
Sister's Long Crusade Ends in Murder Charge
Sarah Turney celebrates her stepfather's arrest
- Not everyone celebrates when their stepfather gets arrested. But then, not everyone is Sarah Turney: "I'm shaking and I'm crying," she tweeted Thursday. "We did it you guys. He's been arrested. Omg Loudly crying face thank you." Turney had waged a long social...
Phoenix to Pay $475K
to Couple Threatened
During Shoplifting Arrest
Aug 24, 2020 6:00 PM CDT
Phoenix to Pay $475K to Couple Threatened During Shoplifting Arrest
Father says he feared cops were going to execute him
- A Black couple who feared Phoenix police officers were going to shoot them over a doll their 4-year-old daughter took from a Dollar Tree are set to receive a payout from the city. The
reports that Phoenix City Council is expected to approve a $475,000 payment to...
Teen Vanished in 2001 on Last
Day of School. Now, an Arrest
in case you missed it
Aug 23, 2020 10:30 AM CDT
Teen Vanished in 2001 on Last Day of School. Now, an Arrest
Michael Turney, stepdad to missing 17-year-old Alissa Turney, has been charged
- In 2001, a high school junior from Phoenix disappeared on her last day of school. Now, nearly two decades later, a suspect is in custody, thanks to her sister's perseverance and dogged investigative work. Arrested Thursday in Mesa, Ariz., and charged with second-degree murder in the case of Alissa...
Phoenix Breaks 'Record
Nobody Really Wants'
Aug 11, 2020 7:11 AM CDT
Phoenix Breaks 'Record Nobody Really Wants'
2020 has brought 35 days above 110 degrees, with more expected
- The hottest US city has broken its own record for most 110-degree days in a year—"a record nobody really wants," a meteorologist tells the
Phoenix cracked 110 degrees for its 34th day of the year on Sunday, surpassing the previous record of 33 days set...
Arrest Made After Fire at
Arizona Democratic HQ
Jul 30, 2020 4:27 AM CDT
Arrest Made After Fire at Arizona Democratic HQ
Former volunteer Matthew Egler accused of arson
- Authorities on Wednesday announced an arrest in an arson fire that destroyed much of the Arizona and Maricopa County Democratic Party headquarters. Phoenix police said 29-year-old Matthew Egler was booked on one count of arson of an occupied structure. No information about a possible motive was disclosed and it was...
Retired Marine Dives for
Child Thrown Off Balcony
Jul 11, 2020 9:30 AM CDT
Retired Marine Dives for Child Thrown Off Balcony
But Phillip Blanks says he wasn't 'the real hero'
- A former high school football star dove and caught a child who was dropped from a burning building last week, the
reports. Phillip Blanks, 28, was at his friend's apartment in Phoenix when he heard shouting and ran outside. Then he saw a woman—identified by 12NEWS...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Report: Plane Crashed Into the Earth Intentionally
Man Buys Old Virginia Home, Makes 'Heart-Wrenching' Find
Friends Say He Was Exhausted, the Band Says Otherwise
After Girl, 7, Mauled to Death by Dog, 4 Family Members Charged
Retired Colonel Says What Kremlin Doesn't Want to Hear
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.