Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
This State Looks Tempting
Sep 7, 2021 9:10 AM CDT
Nearing Retirement? This State Looks Tempting
4 Fla. cities, including Orlando, make WalletHub's top 10 list for the best places to retire
- Whether you're decades away from retirement or right around the corner, where you head after you clock out for the last time may already be percolating. WalletHub looked at more than 180 of America's cities, analyzing metrics in four main categories: affordability (cost of living, taxpayer friendliness, and...
10 Most, Least
Stressed US Cities
Jul 12, 2021 11:45 AM CDT
10 Most, Least Stressed US Cities
Per WalletHub, Cleveland needs a chill pill, while S. Burlington in Vermont is kicking back just fine
- It's been a tough 16 months, and stress levels have been high—though in some cities across the country, that stress has been tougher to contend with than in others. WalletHub wanted to see which places have been dealing with things best (and which not so much), so it...
You 'Looked at Those Dead
and Dying Girls ... and You Ran'
Jun 9, 2021 9:40 AM CDT
You 'Looked at Those Dead and Dying Girls ... and You Ran'
California hit-and-run leaves 3 girls dead, 1 in critical condition
- Three girls are dead and another is fighting for her life after a hit-and-run along a California highway. The pedestrians—two of whom were in wheelchairs, pushed by the other two —were out for a walk when they were struck in the north lane of Camp Rock Road, a...
Now We Know
in case you missed it
Apr 18, 2021 12:00 PM CDT
Now We Know Who Unlocked San Bernardino Shooter's iPhone
It was Australian firm Azimuth
- Five years later, we finally know how the San Bernardino shooter's iPhone was unlocked. The FBI wanted to get into the iPhone 5C used by Syed Rizwan Farook, who, along with his wife Tashfeen Malik killed 14 people in a mass shooting at a company holiday party in December...
Girl Sells 32K Boxes
of Girl Scout Cookies:
'Nothing Is Impossible'
Apr 1, 2021 10:40 AM CDT
Girl Sells 32K Boxes of Girl Scout Cookies: 'Nothing Is Impossible'
Cancer survivor Lilly Bumpus, 8, also collected 5.2K donated boxes; some will go to other survivors
- The 2020 season for Girl Scout Cookie sales was cut short , but the 2021 season was, in a word, "insane." That's according to Trish Bauer, whose 8-year-old daughter just smashed the national record for most boxes sold in a single season, per the
San Jose Mercury News
Oct 24, 2020 8:15 AM CDT
Sentencing for Terror Attack Facilitator: 'He Knew Better'
Enrique Marquez gets 20 years in prison for his role in 2015 San Bernardino attack that killed 14
- The California man who provided the guns used in the 2015 San Bernardino mass shooting has found out his fate. The
San Bernardino Sun
reports that 28-year-old Enrique Marquez—who was convicted of conspiracy to provide material support to terrorists and making a false statement on federal firearms-purchase forms—was...
One of Youngest
Mar 16, 2020 8:47 AM CDT
One of Youngest Camdens on
21-year-old Lorenzo Brino, who alternated in roles of twins Sam and David Camden, dies in car crash
- A child actor who helped play the Camden twins on
has died in a California car crash. TMZ first reported the news of the death of 21-year-old Lorenzo Brino, who was killed March 9 in Yucaipa, just outside San Bernardino, while driving alone in the early morning hours...
Mom of San Bernardino
Terrorist to Plead Guilty
Mar 4, 2020 9:40 AM CST
Mom of San Bernardino Terrorist to Plead Guilty
Rafia Shareef expected to admit she shredded a map on the day of the 2015 attack
- On the same day she told family members that she believed her son was responsible for the 2015 terrorist attack in San Bernardino, Calif., Rafia Sultana Shareef came across a map at the home she shared with Syed Farook and his wife, Tashfeen Malik, who would be shot dead within...
Thinking of Retiring? Keep
These Cities on Your Radar
Sep 4, 2019 5:45 PM CDT
Thinking of Retiring? Keep These Cities on Your Radar
The Sunshine State looks especially tempting for your golden years
- Already thinking ahead on where you want to kick back once you stop punching a time clock for good? WalletHub scrutinized more than 180 US cities to suss out which ones seem most appealing for retirees, looking at nearly four dozen key metrics across four categories: affordability (including cost of...
10 Best, Worst Cities
to Celebrate July 4
Jul 3, 2019 3:40 PM CDT
10 Best, Worst Cities to Celebrate July 4
The Big Apple promises the best time, while San Bernardino falls last
- Tomorrow is Independence Day, meaning you still have time to get to where the best celebrations are going to be. WalletHub tries to suss those out for you, looking at the 100 most populous cities in the nation across five major categories: affordability, attractions and activities, safety and accessibility, the...
'Very Chaotic Scene' After
10 Shot in San Bernardino
Sep 3, 2018 9:00 AM CDT
'Very Chaotic Scene' After 10 Shot in San Bernardino
3 of those injured are in 'extremely critical' condition
- "Multiple victims down," an "uncooperative" crowd, and a "very chaotic scene" is how Captain Rich Lawhead describes to KABC what police encountered at an apartment complex in San Bernardino late Sunday. Ten people were shot in a common area of the complex on the 1200 block...
Woman Allegedly at Helm
of Pot 'Fortress' Sues City
Mar 28, 2018 2:39 PM CDT
Woman Allegedly at Helm of Pot 'Fortress' Sues City
She says San Bernardino's ordinance violates the Constitution
- A Los Angeles mom accused of running a multimillion-dollar marijuana grow operation in San Bernardino is now suing the city to overturn its pot regulation ordinance, the AP reports. Stephanie Smith, a 43-year-old real estate developer and mother of five, owns three buildings in San Bernardino that were raided by...
Marilyn Manson: Pointing Fake
Rifle at Audience 'a Statement'
Nov 7, 2017 1:12 PM CST
Marilyn Manson: Pointing Fake Rifle at Audience 'a Statement'
Rocker's move came on day of Texas mass shooting
- On Sunday night—the same day 26 people were killed in a mass shooting at a Texas church—Marilyn Manson pointed a fake assault rifle at the audience during his performance at Ozzfest Meets Knotfest and pretended to fire. The rocker is now defending the move, which took place in...
Reports: San Bernardino
Shooter Died in 'Mist of Blood'
May 26, 2017 9:55 AM CDT
Reports: San Bernardino Shooter Died in 'Mist of Blood'
DA's office compiles firsthand accounts of what happened during manhunt, shootout
- Authorities released a report Thursday detailing the manhunt and shootout with a husband and wife who killed 14 people and wounded 22 others in the 2015 San Bernardino attack . The report released by the San Bernardino County district attorney's office includes the accounts of nearly two dozen law enforcement...
Man Beheaded in Freak
Accident Had Pregnant Wife
Apr 14, 2017 2:30 AM CDT
Man Beheaded in Freak Accident Had Pregnant Wife
Cops say Fabian Zepeda would never have seen wire across road
- The man decapitated in a freak motorcycle accident in San Bernardino, Calif., on Tuesday morning has been identified as Fabian Zepeda, a 27-year-old who'd been married for less than a year and whose wife is four months pregnant. "I am very happy to keep a little blessing from...
Boy Killed in School Shooting
Had Rare Genetic Condition
Apr 13, 2017 9:11 AM CDT
Boy Killed in School Shooting Had Rare Genetic Condition
'The happiest kid you'll ever meet'
- Jonathan Martinez, the 8-year-old boy killed in Monday's San Bernardino school shooting , was "the happiest kid you'll ever meet" despite the rare genetic condition he suffered from, says teaching assistant Jennifer Downing. Jonathan was born with Williams syndrome , which affects around one in 10,000 people and...
School Gunman's Threats
Taken as 'Cry for Attention'
Apr 12, 2017 4:18 AM CDT
School Gunman's Threats Taken as 'Cry for Attention'
He had no trouble getting into San Bernardino school
- Cedric Anderson had threatened his estranged wife before, but nobody realized how dangerous he really was until he opened fire in her San Bernardino classroom on Monday, police say. San Bernardino Police Chief Jarrod Burguan said Tuesday that Anderson, 53, who killed Karen Smith and an 8-year-old special-needs student before...
Gunman in Calif. Shooting Was
Teacher's Estranged Husband
Apr 10, 2017 6:16 PM CDT
Gunman in Calif. Shooting Was Teacher's Estranged Husband
Boy, 8, has died from his injuries
- Authorities say a man was estranged from his wife before he shot and killed her in a special-needs classroom in San Bernardino in a murder-suicide that also left a student dead, the AP reports. Police Chief Jarrod Burguan said Monday at a news conference that 53-year-old Cedric Anderson and 53-year-old...
2 Adults Dead in California
Elementary School Shooting
Apr 10, 2017 2:42 PM CDT
2 Adults Dead in California Elementary School Shooting
Police are describing the situation as a murder-suicide; 2 students wounded
- Two adults are dead in what police are describing as a murder-suicide inside a classroom at a San Bernardino elementary school Monday morning. The
Los Angeles Times
reports that two students were also wounded; their conditions are not known. One of the adults involved was a teacher at the school,...
White House Lists 78
'Underreported' Terror Attacks
Feb 7, 2017 5:27 AM CST
White House Lists 78 'Underreported' Terror Attacks
It includes San Bernardino, Paris
- President Trump accused the "very, very dishonest press" Monday of not wanting to report ISIS attacks in Europe. "They have their reasons, you understand that," he said, speaking to troops at MacDill Air Force Base in Florida, the headquarters of US Central Command. The White House later...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
FBI: Images Show Dark Truth About Renowned Collector
She Feared Her Partner Would Kill Her. Death Came Differently
Climber Found Box of Gems on Mont Blanc in 2013. Now, a Windfall
Guy Who Helped Shooting Suspect's Parents Identifies Self
Mother Chases Down Leopard To Rescue Son
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.