Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Biden: 'There Need Not
Be a New Cold War'
Nov 14, 2022 10:35 AM CST
Biden: 'There Need Not Be a New Cold War'
President meets with China's Xi Jinping
- President Biden had his first face-to-face meeting as president with China's Xi Jinping on Monday, and he sounded an optimistic tone afterward. "I absolutely believe there need not be a new Cold War," he said after the sit-down in Bali, Indonesia, per the AP . "I'...
Nov 14, 2022 6:23 AM CST
At World Summit, a Notable Handshake
Biden meets face to face with China's Xi Jinping in Indonesia
- President Biden and Chinese President Xi Jinping opened their first in-person meeting Monday since the US president took office nearly two years ago, aiming to "manage" differences between the superpowers as they compete for global influence amid increasing economic and security tensions. Xi and Biden greeted each other with...
Biden, Xi to Meet Amid
Rising Tensions Over Taiwan
Nov 10, 2022 12:44 PM CST
Biden, Xi to Meet Amid Rising Tensions Over Taiwan
Pair will have first face-to-face meeting as world leaders
- President Biden will meet Monday with Chinese President Xi Jinping on the sidelines of next week’s Group of 20 Summit in Bali, Indonesia, a face-to-face meeting that comes amid increasingly strained US-China relations. It will be the first in-person meeting between the leaders of the world’s two biggest...
Sep 16, 2022 5:05 PM CDT
Putin Says Russia Will Fight On
'We aren't in a rush' in Ukraine, Russian president says
- Russian President Vladimir Putin vowed Friday to press his attack on Ukraine despite Ukraine's latest counteroffensive and warned that Moscow could ramp up its strikes on the country's vital infrastructure if facilities in Russia are targeted. Speaking to reporters Friday after attending a summit of the Shanghai Cooperation...
US Sends Warships
Through Taiwan Strait
Aug 28, 2022 5:05 PM CDT
US Sends Warships Through Taiwan Strait
China says it's watching but doesn't specify a response
- Two US guided-missile cruisers were sailing through the Taiwan Strait on Sunday, the Navy reported, the first American passage since China launched military exercises in response to House Speaker Nancy Pelosi 's trip to Taipei early this month. The US 7th Fleet in Japan issued a statement saying the...
China Suggests US
Is 'Playing With Fire'
Jul 28, 2022 3:12 PM CDT
China Suggests US Is 'Playing With Fire'
Biden and Xi Jinping talk by phone
- President Biden and Chinese President Xi Jinping talked for more than two hours on the phone Thursday against a backdrop of increasing tension between their nations over several issues. The US said the idea of the call was to calm the hostility more than to achieve anything specific, the
in Case Pelosi
Does Go to
Jul 27, 2022 7:17 AM CDT
Pentagon Prepping in Case Pelosi Does Go to Taiwan
Trip isn't confirmed, but US military is developing plans for any contingency
- US officials say they have little fear that China would attack Nancy Pelosi’s plane if she flies to Taiwan. But the US House speaker would be entering one of the world’s hottest spots, where a mishap, misstep, or misunderstanding could endanger her safety. So the Pentagon is developing...
Beware of Chinese Spying,
Heads of FBI, MI5 Warn
Jul 6, 2022 7:05 PM CDT
Beware of Chinese Spying, Heads of FBI, MI5 Warn
Tech is most at risk, directors tell business, education leaders in London
- Seeking maximum impact, the heads of the FBI and Britain's MI5 stood together Wednesday to warn of the danger of Chinese espionage. Western technology companies are especially at risk of losing intellectual property, the two told chief executives at Thames House, headquarters of the British domestic security agency, in...
Jun 11, 2022 4:50 PM CDT
US, China Exchange Warnings on Taiwan
Austin meets defense minister at forum in Singapore
- Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin stressed American support for Taiwan on Saturday, suggesting at Asia's premier defense forum that recent Chinese military activity around the self-governing island threatens to change the status quo. Speaking at the Shangri-La Dialogue in Singapore, Austin noted a "steady increase in provocative and...
or Policy Shift?
Nobody Is Quite Sure
May 24, 2022 8:27 AM CDT
Biden Gaffe or Policy Shift? Nobody Is Quite Sure
Biden's comments on Taiwan have analysts guessing
- So has US policy toward Taiwan changed or not? "No," President Biden declared Tuesday when asked that specific question, reports the AP . But Biden's comments the previous day still seem to have muddied the water on what the US would do if China were to invade the...
After Getting Visa Applications,
China Questions US Boycott
Dec 28, 2021 10:35 AM CST
After Getting Visa Applications, China Questions US Boycott
Biden administration says it's sending help for athletes and coaches, but not diplomats
- Given that the Biden administration earlier this month announced a diplomatic boycott of the Winter Olympics, China is asking why it's receiving visa applications for US government employees. That can be explained, the US answered: Those applications are for consular and security officers—not diplomats or high-ranking officials, the...
China's Xi to Biden: US
'Playing With Fire' on Taiwan
Nov 16, 2021 6:50 AM CST
China's Xi to Biden: US 'Playing With Fire' on Taiwan
Warning comes in otherwise cordial 3-hour virtual meeting
- President Biden and Chinese counterpart Xi Jinping spoke for more than three hours Monday in a virtual meeting described by both sides afterward as largely cordial. In fact, Xi greeted Biden as his "old friend" at the start, notes the AP . But the BBC highlights at least one area...
Kamala Harris Has a Warning
for China Over 'Intimidation'
Aug 24, 2021 7:28 AM CDT
Kamala Harris Has a Warning for China Over 'Intimidation'
Vice president delivered rebuke from Singapore on Tuesday on nation's actions in South China Sea
- Vice President Kamala Harris delivered a sharp rebuke to China for its incursions in the South China Sea, warning its actions there amount to "coercion" and "intimidation" and affirming that the US will support its allies in the region against Beijing's advances. "We know that Beijing...
US Blames China
for Huge Microsoft Hack
Jul 19, 2021 6:59 AM CDT
US Blames China for Huge Microsoft Hack
Other nations join in finger-pointing over breach that hit computers worldwide
- The Biden administration on Monday blamed China for a hack of Microsoft Exchange email server software that compromised tens of thousands of computers around the world earlier this year , per the AP . The Justice Department announced charges against four Chinese nationals who prosecutors said were working with the Ministry of...
Group of Seven Talks
Get Tense Around China
Jun 12, 2021 12:20 PM CDT
Group of Seven Talks Get Tense Around China
Summit leaders divided on how to approach human rights abuses
- Forced labor in China has become a hot-button issue at the G7 summit in Cornwall, England, the AP reports. A US official speaking after a morning session said that the assembled leaders shared President Joe Biden's concern about the human rights and economic impact of the practice but...
China Mutes, Even Censors
Reaction to Chloe Zhao Win
Apr 26, 2021 2:36 PM CDT
China Mutes, Even Censors Reaction to Chloe Zhao Win
State-run media outlets didn't cover Oscars and few mentions turn up on Weibo
- Chloe Zhao made history Sunday night and people are talking about it on social media everywhere—except in China, where those who are doing so are doing it in code, NBC News reports. Users posting about Zhao’s Oscar wins—she's the first Chinese woman to win best director,...
US Move May Further
Fray Relations With China
Mar 22, 2021 1:47 PM CDT
US Move May Further Fray Relations With China
White House sanctions officials in Beijing over Uighurs
- The US, the European Union, Britain, and Canada launched coordinated sanctions against officials in China on Monday over what they call human rights abuses against Uighur Muslims in the Xinjiang region, per the AP . "Amid growing international condemnation, the [People's Republic of China] continues to commit genocide and...
High-Level US, China Talks
Were 'Unusually Undiplomatic'
Mar 19, 2021 6:31 AM CDT
High-Level US, China Talks Were 'Unusually Undiplomatic'
Alaska meeting turned into war of words
- America's top diplomats met their Chinese counterparts in Alaska Thursday—and it was clear from the start that relations would remain frosty. In his opening statement at the Biden's administration's first face-to-face high-level talks with China, Secretary of State Antony Blinken said the US would discuss its...
Biden, Xi Jinping
Feb 11, 2021 12:38 AM CST
Here's What Biden, Xi Jinping Talked About
US, China presidents share their first call
- Joe Biden had his first call as president with Xi Jinping, pressing the Chinese leader about trade and Beijing's crackdown on democracy activists in Hong Kong as well as other human rights concerns. The two leaders spoke Wednesday just hours after Biden announced plans for a Pentagon task force...
2 Biting Words
for the Departing
Jan 20, 2021 11:20 AM CST
China Has 2 Biting Words for the Departing President
- On Donald Trump's final day as president, China stopped biting its tongue. As the
Wall Street Journal
reports, the country's top officials and leading state-media outlets largely refrained from directly criticizing Trump as relations between the two countries soured over trade and the COVID-19 pandemic. On Wednesday, the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Secret Recording of Pope Is Played in Court
Trump Says He Didn't Know White Nationalist He Dined With
Frontier Airlines Has Ditched Telephone Customer Service
They Worked on an Execution, and Suffered for It
He Mountain Biked an Iconic 27-Mile Trail—Uphill
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.