Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
China's Xi to Biden: US
'Playing With Fire' on Taiwan
Nov 16, 2021 6:50 AM CST
China's Xi to Biden: US 'Playing With Fire' on Taiwan
Warning comes in otherwise cordial 3-hour virtual meeting
- President Biden and Chinese counterpart Xi Jinping spoke for more than three hours Monday in a virtual meeting described by both sides afterward as largely cordial. In fact, Xi greeted Biden as his "old friend" at the start, notes the AP . But the BBC highlights at least one area...
Kamala Harris Has a Warning
for China Over 'Intimidation'
Aug 24, 2021 7:28 AM CDT
Kamala Harris Has a Warning for China Over 'Intimidation'
Vice president delivered rebuke from Singapore on Tuesday on nation's actions in South China Sea
- Vice President Kamala Harris delivered a sharp rebuke to China for its incursions in the South China Sea, warning its actions there amount to "coercion" and "intimidation" and affirming that the US will support its allies in the region against Beijing's advances. "We know that Beijing...
US Blames China
for Huge Microsoft Hack
Jul 19, 2021 6:59 AM CDT
US Blames China for Huge Microsoft Hack
Other nations join in finger-pointing over breach that hit computers worldwide
- The Biden administration on Monday blamed China for a hack of Microsoft Exchange email server software that compromised tens of thousands of computers around the world earlier this year , per the AP . The Justice Department announced charges against four Chinese nationals who prosecutors said were working with the Ministry of...
Group of Seven Talks
Get Tense Around China
Jun 12, 2021 12:20 PM CDT
Group of Seven Talks Get Tense Around China
Summit leaders divided on how to approach human rights abuses
- Forced labor in China has become a hot-button issue at the G7 summit in Cornwall, England, the AP reports. A US official speaking after a morning session said that the assembled leaders shared President Joe Biden's concern about the human rights and economic impact of the practice but...
China Mutes, Even Censors
Reaction to Chloe Zhao Win
Apr 26, 2021 2:36 PM CDT
China Mutes, Even Censors Reaction to Chloe Zhao Win
State-run media outlets didn't cover Oscars and few mentions turn up on Weibo
- Chloe Zhao made history Sunday night and people are talking about it on social media everywhere—except in China, where those who are doing so are doing it in code, NBC News reports. Users posting about Zhao’s Oscar wins—she's the first Chinese woman to win best director,...
US Move May Further
Fray Relations With China
Mar 22, 2021 1:47 PM CDT
US Move May Further Fray Relations With China
White House sanctions officials in Beijing over Uighurs
- The US, the European Union, Britain, and Canada launched coordinated sanctions against officials in China on Monday over what they call human rights abuses against Uighur Muslims in the Xinjiang region, per the AP . "Amid growing international condemnation, the [People's Republic of China] continues to commit genocide and...
High-Level US, China Talks
Were 'Unusually Undiplomatic'
Mar 19, 2021 6:31 AM CDT
High-Level US, China Talks Were 'Unusually Undiplomatic'
Alaska meeting turned into war of words
- America's top diplomats met their Chinese counterparts in Alaska Thursday—and it was clear from the start that relations would remain frosty. In his opening statement at the Biden's administration's first face-to-face high-level talks with China, Secretary of State Antony Blinken said the US would discuss its...
Biden, Xi Jinping
Feb 11, 2021 12:38 AM CST
Here's What Biden, Xi Jinping Talked About
US, China presidents share their first call
- Joe Biden had his first call as president with Xi Jinping, pressing the Chinese leader about trade and Beijing's crackdown on democracy activists in Hong Kong as well as other human rights concerns. The two leaders spoke Wednesday just hours after Biden announced plans for a Pentagon task force...
2 Biting Words
for the Departing
Jan 20, 2021 11:20 AM CST
China Has 2 Biting Words for the Departing President
- On Donald Trump's final day as president, China stopped biting its tongue. As the
Wall Street Journal
reports, the country's top officials and leading state-media outlets largely refrained from directly criticizing Trump as relations between the two countries soured over trade and the COVID-19 pandemic. On Wednesday, the...
NYSE Reverses Course on
China Decision in 'Bizarre' Move
Jan 5, 2021 1:05 AM CST
NYSE Reverses Course on China Decision in 'Bizarre' Move
Withdraws plans to delist 3 Chinese phone carriers
- The New York Stock Exchange has withdrawn plans to remove shares of three Chinese state-owned phone carriers under an order by President Trump that Beijing warned might lead to retaliation. The exchange cited “further consultation” with regulators but its announcement late Monday gave no other details, the AP reports....
Nation's Spy Chief Just
Unloaded on China
Dec 3, 2020 1:47 PM CST
Nation's Spy Chief Just Unloaded on China
DNI John Ratcliffe calls Beijing the greatest threat to democracy since World War II
- The nation's top intelligence official just unloaded on China in unusual fashion. "The People’s Republic of China poses the greatest threat to America today, and the greatest threat to democracy and freedom worldwide since World War II," writes director of national intelligence John Ratcliffe in a...
Oct 28, 2020 2:45 PM CDT
Feds Reveal Alleged Covert Chinese Operation
DOJ says the 8 allegedly surveilled NJ man wanted by Beijing and left a threatening note
- The Justice Department has charged eight people with working on behalf of the Chinese government in a pressure campaign aimed at coercing a New Jersey man who was wanted by Beijing to return to China to face charges, officials said. Five of the eight were arrested Wednesday, accused of participating...
China: We're Ready to
Start Detaining Americans
Oct 18, 2020 2:30 PM CDT
China: We're Ready to Start Detaining Americans
'It's a real game-changer'
- Chinese officials say they're ready for a dangerous game of tit-for-tat, the
Wall Street Journal
reports. They're telling Washington that China may round up US nationals there unless charges against Chinese military-affiliated scholars in America are dropped. The warnings, sent through several channels—including Beijing's US Embassy—...
Musk to US: You Owe Me
Tariff Money, Plus Interest
Sep 24, 2020 8:21 AM CDT
Musk to US: You Owe Me Tariff Money, Plus Interest
Tesla, other major automakers suing the government over trade war with China
- Elon Musk isn't just calling for the US to end new tariffs on Chinese products—he wants a refund for the money's he already paid, plus interest. Musk's car company, Tesla, filed a lawsuit against the US this week over the import tariffs, as did automakers Ford,...
China, Russia Are Interfering in
Campaigns, Intelligence Shows
Aug 7, 2020 4:30 PM CDT
China, Russia Are Interfering in Campaigns, Intelligence Shows
Beijing is working against Trump, Russia against Biden, official says
- China and Russia are interfering in the US presidential campaign, according to an intelligence report, with both parties' candidates as targets. "We assess that China prefers that President Trump—whom Beijing sees as unpredictable—does not win reelection," said William Evanina, director of the National Counterintelligence and Security...
US Shuts Down
Jul 27, 2020 12:03 AM CDT
After Order From China, US Shuts Down Consulate
China ordered Chengdu mission closed in retaliation for Houston closure
- The US closed its consulate in the southwestern Chinese city of Chengdu on Monday, a victim of the rising tensions between the global powers, the AP reports. China ordered the mission closed late last week in retaliation for a US order to shut down the Chinese Consulate in Houston earlier...
China Retaliates for Closure
of Houston Consulate
Jul 24, 2020 6:42 AM CDT
China Retaliates for Closure of Houston Consulate
Beijing orders closure of US consulate in Chengdu
- China says that as a "necessary response" to the US order to close its consulate in Houston, the US is going to lose one of its consulates in China. The foreign ministry said Friday that it had ordered the closure of the consulate in the southwestern city of Chengdu,...
After FBI Interview, Chinese
Biologist Fled to SF Consulate
Jul 23, 2020 6:02 AM CDT
After FBI Interview, Chinese Biologist Fled to SF Consulate
FBI says she lied about military connections
- A biology researcher accused of lying to the FBI fled to the Chinese consulate in San Francisco last month and is still there, the agency says. According to court papers filed July 20, University of California, Davis researcher Tang Juan went to the consulate after a June 20 interview with...
'Outrageous': US Boots
China From Consulate
Jul 22, 2020 7:02 AM CDT
'Outrageous': US Boots China From Consulate
Officials seen burning documents on Tuesday
- The US has ordered China to close its consulate in Houston in "one of the biggest blows to diplomatic ties between the two countries in decades," reports Bloomberg . Firefighters responded to reports of smoke at the consulate late Tuesday as footage showed officials burning documents in barrels in...
Pompeo Accuses China
of Human Rights Abuses
Jul 9, 2020 12:19 PM CDT
Pompeo Accuses China of Human Rights Abuses
US sanctions 3 Chinese officials over treatment of Uighurs, other minorities
- The United States on Thursday imposed sanctions on three senior officials of the Chinese Communist Party for alleged human rights abuses against ethnic and religious minorities, per the AP . The decision to bar these senior officials and their families from entering the US is the latest of a series of...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
WHO Names Variant; US Issues Travel Restrictions
Taylor Swift Just Outdid 'American Pie'
Scientists Question Models After Arctic Ocean Finding
Dow Just Had Worst Black Friday on Record
New COVID Variant Is a 'Big Jump in Evolution'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.