Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Virginia's New Republican
Governor Making Waves
Jan 24, 2022 2:54 PM CST
Virginia's New Republican Governor Making Waves
He angers Democrats, pleases Republicans on masks, other issues
- When Democrats lost Virginia’s gubernatorial election , they anticipated Republican Glenn Youngkin would move quickly to put his stamp on the blue-leaning state. Youngkin is indeed making many waves during his first days in office, and Republicans are thrilled. Coverage:
Upon taking office this month, Youngkin lifted the state'
This Is the Best
State for Retirees
Jan 24, 2022 1:41 PM CST
This Is the Best State for Retirees
Surprise! Florida comes in at No. 1 in WalletHub rankings
- Figuring out what to do once you retire can be a challenge, including where you put down roots to ride out your golden years. WalletHub looked at nearly four dozen metrics across all 50 states, in three main categories: affordability, which looks at everything from the cost of living and...
Over Face Masks
Lead to Charges
Jan 22, 2022 8:15 AM CST
Mom's Remarks Over Face Masks Lead to Charges
Amelia King at Thursday school board meeting in Va.: 'I will bring every single gun loaded'
- A Virginia mom who insists she wasn't trying to threaten anyone with her remarks at a local school board meeting this week has been charged. CBS News reports that on Thursday, the board for Page County Schools convened a special meeting to vote on Gov. Glenn Youngkin's recent...
Brace for 'Crippling'
Jan 15, 2022 9:30 AM CST
Southern States Brace for 'Crippling' Winter Storm
Virginia, Georgia, the Carolinas have all declared states of emergency on storm set for this weekend
- A major winter storm is headed toward the South, leading four states so far to declare states of emergency. The storm system has already dumped several inches of snow on the central United States and is set to make its way toward the southeast Saturday into Sunday morning, leading to...
Family Points Finger at Cops
After Man Dies in Snowstorm
Jan 10, 2022 7:41 AM CST
Family Points Finger at Cops After Man Dies in Snowstorm
Family of Jacob Whaley, 34, says Louisa County Sheriff's Office in Va. could've done more to find him
- The body of a Virginia dad whose vehicle got stuck in a snowstorm has been found, and his family is now demanding answers from local law enforcement as to why he wasn't rescued in time. As motorists in the state were stranded in severe winter weather last week on...
Uber Rider Stuck
for 14 Hours Gets
$700 Fare Dropped
Jan 6, 2022 3:35 PM CST
Uber Rider Stuck for 14 Hours Gets $700 Fare Dropped
Passenger receives a refund after disputing surcharge
- Thousands of people were stuck in their cars on I-95 in Virginia this week, but most of them didn't have the added joy of paying by the minute. Andrew Peters summoned Uber to take him from Dulles International Airport in northern Virginia to Richmond on Monday night, NBC reports....
Hundreds of Motorists
Rescued After Being
Stuck Overnight on I-95
Jan 5, 2022 12:10 AM CST
Hundreds of Motorists Rescued After Being Stuck Overnight on I-95
And the train that was also stuck finally reached its destination
All of the motorists stranded on I-95 amid a winter storm had been rescued by Tuesday night, the
reports. Some of them had been stuck on the highway for more than a full day, including Virginia Sen. Tim Kaine, who details his 27-hour ordeal to CNN . The
Amtrak Train Stuck for More
Than a Day in Virginia Storm
Jan 4, 2022 4:15 PM CST
Amtrak Train Stuck for More Than a Day in Virginia Storm
Downed trees force more than 200 to hunker down
- Stranded drivers on Interstate-95 in Virginia aren't the only travelers having a nightmare experience. An Amtrak train with more than 200 people aboard has been stuck in Virginia's stormy weather for more than a day. The train left New Orleans on Sunday but got stuck north of Lynchburg,...
He Went to
Milk for His
Kids, Won Big
Jan 1, 2022 8:00 AM CST
He Went to Get Chocolate Milk for His Kids, Won Big
Virginia's Dennis Willoughby scoops up $1M lottery jackpot after 7-Eleven run
- A Virginia dad who made a chocolate milk run for his kids came home with a lot more than cow juice. According to Virginia Lottery official s, Dennis Willoughby headed over to his local 7-Eleven in Richmond last month to pick up the beverage for his young ones, but while...
Books, Ammo Found in
Lee Statue Time Capsule
Dec 28, 2021 7:12 PM CST
Books, Ammo Found in Lee Statue Time Capsule
This one was the right box, experts say
: Dozens of Civil War-era artifacts were recovered Tuesday from an 1887 time capsule found in a pedestal that once held a statue of Robert E. Lee in Richmond, Virginia. Conservators say they recovered books, buttons, Confederate money, and Minie balls, a type of ammunition, from the copper box, the...
Virginia Road Closed
Due to Sleeping Bears
Dec 27, 2021 3:00 PM CST
Virginia Road Closed Due to Sleeping Bears
They were spotted napping in a tree on Bruin Drive
- Officials in Virginia closed a road in a Chesapeake neighborhood after a mother bear and three cubs were spotted napping in a tree. Chesapeake Animal Services asked residents near the tree—on Bruin Drive—to stay inside Monday and the general public to stay away from the area, the AP...
With Removal of Statue
Comes Rare Find
Dec 23, 2021 1:29 AM CST
With Removal of Statue Comes Rare Find
Crews working to take down a Robert E. Lee statue in Richmond discovered a time capsule
Inside the base of a Robert E. Lee statue recently taken down in Richmond, Virginia, were books and other texts, a coin, and an envelope. Conservators chipped the time capsule out of the granite box Tuesday, and preservationists unsealed it Wednesday, NPR reports. Inside, they found just a fraction...
Virginia Police May Have
Found a Serial Killer
Dec 18, 2021 10:40 AM CST
Virginia Police May Have Found a Serial Killer
Police arrested a man they call the 'shopping cart kller'
- Virginia police say they may have caught a serial killer. Harrisonburg police arrested Anthony Robinson in November and charged him with murder after finding two bodies. On Friday, Fairfax County police said they’d found two more bodies, and called Robinson the “shopping cart killer,” the AP reports....
He Admits to a
Dozen Museum Heists,
Gets Day in Jail
Nov 24, 2021 1:35 PM CST
He Admits to a Dozen Museum Heists, Gets Day in Jail
Pennsylvania's Thomas Gavin helped trace stolen firearms after confession
- A Pennsylvania man will spend exactly one day in jail after admitting to stealing historic artifacts from more than a dozen museums in at least four states. Montgomery County's Thomas Gavin busted into museums along the US East Coast in the 1960s and '70s, taking mostly antique firearms,...
Youngkin's 17-Year-Old Son
Twice Tried to Vote
Nov 5, 2021 5:07 PM CDT
Youngkin's 17-Year-Old Son Twice Tried to Vote
County officials say no election laws were broken
- Glenn Youngkin's fears about election integrity have been vindicated, at least in the case of one would-be voter. Someone in Virginia tried to cast a vote Tuesday who wasn't eligible—the candidate's son. Voters have to be at least 18 years old to vote in the state,...
Not My Fault
Nov 4, 2021 1:03 AM CDT
Biden: GOP Victories at Voting Booth Not My Fault
'People are upset and uncertain about a lot of things,' president says
- President Biden appeared to reject the idea that his administration or party is to blame for the surprising outcome of Virginia's gubernatorial race and other GOP victories during Tuesday's elections. Asked at the White House on Wednesday "how much responsibility" he takes for the "dismal" results...
7 Reactions to
Win in Virginia
Nov 3, 2021 5:22 AM CDT
7 Reactions to Youngkin's Stunning Win in Virginia
And what it could mean for Democrats, particularly next year
- Reactions started pouring in almost immediately after Republican Glenn Youngkin won Virginia's gubernatorial race Tuesday in a race that turned out much worse for Democrats than most people expected:
That's the word Andrew Prokop uses at Vox , saying this is just one such sign for the
Glenn Youngkin Wins
Tight Virginia Governor's Race
Nov 2, 2021 11:44 PM CDT
Glenn Youngkin Wins Tight Virginia Governor's Race
The AP has called the race
This file has been updated after the race was called.
Democrat Terry McAuliffe and Republican Glenn Youngkin were locked in a tight race for Virginia governor Tuesday night, the most closely watched contest in an off-year election that could prove a referendum on President Biden’s first year in...
Trump Plans Rally as Va. GOP
Candidate Distances Himself
Nov 1, 2021 2:59 PM CDT
Trump Plans Rally as Va. GOP Candidate Distances Himself
Glenn Youngkin has not emphasized his ties to the former president
- Donald Trump is going to rally for Glenn Youngkin and his gubernatorial campaign in Virginia—whether Youngkin wants him to or not. Terry McAuliffe, a former Democratic governor, has been running his race—and it’s a tight one —with a lot of emphasis on his opponent’s ties...
Virginia Polls Vary, but
All Show Youngkin Gaining
Oct 31, 2021 11:05 AM CDT
Virginia Polls Vary, but All Show Youngkin Gaining
Fox has Republican up 8 points over McAuliffe, though other results show a tighter race
- The most recent polls in the Virginia governor's race show Republican Glenn Youngkin closing ground on Democrat Terry McAuliffe—if not already ahead—as the campaigns reach final days. A Fox News poll taken early last week is by far the most encouraging for Youngkin, showing him up 53%-45%...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
A.I. Has Changed Poker, and Maybe Killed Its 'Soul'
A Game for the Ages Sparks Call for Rule Change
Palin Tests Positive for COVID, NYT Trial Delayed
Female Tourist Detained After Giving Nazi Salute at Auschwitz
When Creditor Comes Calling, Cruise Ship Flees to Bahamas
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.