Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
17 Years After
Still Out There
Mar 29, 2022 6:14 PM CDT
17 Years After Fleeing Zoo, Flamingo Still Out There
No. 492 again sighted in Texas after escaping Kansas zoo in 2005
- One of two flamingos that escaped from a Kansas zoo during a storm 17 years ago has been spotted on the coast of Texas, wildlife officials said. The Coastal Fisheries Division of Texas Parks and Wildlife confirmed Tuesday to the AP that the African flamingo—known as No. 492 because...
No One Can
Zebras on the
Loose in Maryland
Oct 1, 2021 8:16 AM CDT
No One Can Catch Those Zebras on the Loose in Maryland
Group of 5 escaped from farm in Prince George's County in late August
Five fugitive zebras that made headlines after escaping from a Maryland farm in late August are "still out there, roaming free." That's the latest from the
, which notes multiple sightings over the past few weeks in Prince George's County. The
If You See This Snake in NC,
Don't Go Near It—Call 911
Jun 30, 2021 9:44 AM CDT
If You See This Snake in NC, Don't Go Near It—Call 911
Police are on the lookout in Raleigh for an escaped zebra cobra
- If you're out for a jog or walking your dog in Raleigh today, you might want to steer clear of the Brittany Woods neighborhood. WRAL reports that residents there "are waking up to another day of anxiety" after police reported that a highly toxic zebra cobra is on...
a Tiger on the
Loose in Tennessee
Sep 10, 2020 10:20 AM CDT
There's Apparently a Tiger on the Loose in Tennessee
Authorities in Knoxville are chasing down sightings
- A strange one out of Tennessee: Wildlife authorities in Knoxville are on the hunt for a tiger—yes, a tiger—after multiple sightings, reports WVLT . The first one came from a sheriff's deputy on Wednesday night near an industrial park, and multiple residents have since called in their own....
Sep 9, 2020 2:53 PM CDT
Italian Official: 'Escape Genius' Bear 'Must Live Free'
He says 'Papillon' shouldn't be treated like a criminal
- An "escape genius" bear in Italy is back in a wildlife enclosure after being recaptured for a third time—but friends in high places might help "Papillon" win his freedom permanently. Sergio Costa, Italy's environment minister, said Wednesday that it "hurts to know Papillon is in...
'Escape Genius' Bear
Recaptured After 42 Days
Sep 8, 2020 3:03 AM CDT
'Escape Genius' Bear Recaptured After 42 Days
Wildlife groups say they will fight for Papillon's freedom
- One of Italy's most famous escape artists is back behind bars, 42 days after he busted out of maximum security. M49, described by the
as "Europe's most wanted bear," was captured by rangers in Trento province with a "tube trap" device Monday. The bear...
Have a Really
Jul 17, 2020 10:11 AM CDT
Florida Cops Have a Really Strange Chase
They capture a runaway kangaroo in Fort Lauderdale
- Police in Fort Lauderdale had quite the day Thursday after getting a call about an unlikely escapee. WPLG reports that for 30 minutes or so, cops were in hot pursuit of a kangaroo that escaped from a local home. "I'm trying to catch a kangaroo!" one cop...
Texas Has a Problem Primate
—and a Giant Mystery
Sep 11, 2019 9:16 AM CDT
Texas Has a Problem Primate —and a Giant Mystery
Unconfirmed run-ins with an ornery chimp, monkey, or other creature reported in Texas
- No one knows where it came from, how it got out, or even for sure what it is (or
it is)—but an animal said to be on the loose in Texas is causing a ruckus. The
New York Times
perfectly explains the current confusion in the Lone Star...
Escaped Yaks Charge
Jul 26, 2019 12:37 AM CDT
Escaped Yaks Charge Massachusetts Hiker
Cops manage to corral the 3 animals
- A hiker in western Massachusetts encountered a hazard more commonly associated with the Himalayas: aggressive yaks. Police say the three animals, who had escaped from a private owner a few days earlier, charged and chased the hiker Wednesday in the Bear Hole Reservoir hiking area near West Springfield, the
Bear Flees Over
3 Electric Fences,
for His Captors
Jul 16, 2019 6:32 PM CDT
Bear Flees Over 3 Electric Fences, Drawing Mockery for His Captors
Rangers search woods in northern Italy
- Forest rangers are searching the woods for a bear that climbed over three electric fences and a 13-foot barrier to escape a wildlife enclosure in Northern Italy. The bear had been captured only hours before, the
reports. "Run and save yourself," the president of an animal rights...
Escaped Lion Kills
Dec 31, 2018 1:29 AM CST
Escaped Lion Kills 22-Year-Old Intern
She was 10 days into new job at NC zoo
- A 22-year-old woman was killed by an escaped lion just 10 days after starting an internship at a North Carolina wildlife conservatory. The Conservators Center in Burlington, around 50 miles northwest of Raleigh, says Alexandra Black was killed Sunday when the lion "somehow left a locked space" while its...
Zoo: Before Killing Spree,
Jaguar Bit Through Steel
Jul 18, 2018 4:44 AM CDT
Zoo: Before Killing Spree, Jaguar Bit Through Steel
Audubon Zoo seeking stronger materials for enclosure
- A jaguar that killed nine other animals during a weekend escape from its habitat at New Orleans' Audubon Zoo is believed to have bitten through a steel-cable barrier that forms the roof of its habitat, the zoo's managing director said Tuesday. Kyle Burks told reporters the jaguar apparently slipped...
Zoo Criticized for
Killing Escaped Lion
Jun 22, 2018 12:27 AM CDT
Zoo Criticized for Killing Escaped Lion
'This is a nightmare for every zoo director'
- A lion on the loose forced the evacuation of one of Belgium's most famous zoos Thursday, and the animal was killed after several failed attempts to sedate it. Planckendael zoo was evacuated for several hours in peak school-trip season as security tried to get the female lion back in...
Researchers Gave Baboons
a Tool. They Used It to Escape
Apr 17, 2018 1:01 PM CDT
Researchers Gave Baboons a Tool. They Used It to Escape
4 baboons are quickly recovered in Texas after using a barrel to gain freedom
- Animal researchers saw the 55-pound barrel as an "enrichment tool." Baboons, to whom it was given, apparently saw only a means for escape. Indeed, four baboons briefly escaped the Texas Biomedical Research Institute Saturday after propping a barrel against a wall of their open-air enclosure and using it...
French Baboons Get Their
Planet of the Apes
Jan 26, 2018 1:36 PM CST
French Baboons Get Their
Planet of the Apes
52 baboons escaped at a Paris zoo on Friday
- It was a baboon hullabaloo Friday morning in France when 52 of the animals escaped their enclosure at the Paris Zoological Park, leading to an evacuation and police response, BuzzFeed reports. Zoo spokesperson Jérôme Munier says the excitement started when a staff member saw a baboon in a...
'There Is a Tiger
the Exit Ramp'
Sep 7, 2017 12:35 PM CDT
'There Is a Tiger Walking Down the Exit Ramp'
Escaped circus tiger had to be shot in Georgia
- "There is a tiger walking down the exit ramp onto the interstate," 911 operators in Georgia heard Wednesday, prompting a feverish response from police and plenty of speculation on how the animal got there. That mystery is now solved. A microchip implanted in the female Bengal tiger, shot...
Zoo's Tortoise Spends 2 Weeks
on the Lam, Gets Nowhere
Aug 17, 2017 12:35 PM CDT
Zoo's Tortoise Spends 2 Weeks on the Lam, Gets Nowhere
Abuh was found less than 500 feet from the zoo
- The top speed of a giant tortoise on dry land, according to Gizmodo , is about 0.17mph. That turned out to be great news for Japan's Shibukawa Animal Park, which had a 121-pound Aldabra giant tortoise named Abuh escape earlier this month. Channel News Asia reports Abuh is allowed...
Escapes Zoo Pen,
Heads for Hooch
Oct 20, 2016 10:11 AM CDT
'Psycho' Gorilla Escapes Zoo Pen, Heads for Hooch
Kumbuka guzzled a gallon of nonalcoholic sugary syrup, but still
- David Field, director of the ZSL London Zoo, is trying to dismiss an animal escape earlier this month as "less dramatic than some would have you believe," as he writes in a blog post . But as the
reports, the security breach ended up with an evacuation, armed...
Sent to London Zoo
After Gorilla's Escape
Oct 14, 2016 1:00 AM CDT
Armed Police Sent to London Zoo After Gorilla's Escape
Kumbuka now 'grumbling' in captivity again
- Kumbuka the gorilla's story has a much happier ending than Harambe's . The silverback gorilla was recaptured within an hour of escaping his enclosure at the London Zoo Thursday night, and a keeper tells the BBC that he is "happy to report that he's up and grumbling,...
Pulls Off Escape
for Buddy Clydesdale
Aug 30, 2016 12:03 AM CDT
Crafty Goat Pulls Off Escape for Buddy Clydesdale
Budweiser went missing for 5 days thanks to a well-placed head-butt
- A dwarf billy goat gave new meaning to the word "scapegoat" when he busted out a surprisingly slippery Clydesdale that went on the lam in California for several days, reports the AP . The nearly 1-ton horse named Budweiser, who goes by "Buddy," was safely wrangled back into...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Amended Autopsy Report: McClain Died Due to Ketamine
Elton John's WH Concert Ends With a Big Surprise
He Wanted to Be Taller. Agony, $75K Got Him There
Detroit Radio Anchor Killed, His Family Injured, in Attack
9 Months Later, Case of Lina Sardar Khil Still Baffles
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.