Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
In This Tiny Excavated Tooth
Lie 'Enormous' Implications
Sep 12, 2022 12:46 PM CDT
In This Tiny Excavated Tooth Lie 'Enormous' Implications
1.8M-year-old tooth found in Caucasus region may be sign of oldest human settlement outside of Africa
- Two decades ago, two fossilized, almost complete 1.8-million-year-old skulls belonging to prehistoric humans Zezva and Mzia were discovered in Dmanisi, a couple of hours from the Georgian capital of Tbilisi. Now, a new find that "cements the region as the home of one of the earliest prehistoric human...
Flight Attendant Loses
2 Teeth in Assault
May 25, 2021 8:52 AM CDT
Flight Attendant Loses 2 Teeth in Assault
Southwest crew member hurt amid 'intolerable level' of passenger misconduct incidents
- A flight attendants union is pleading for more travel safeguards after an attack against a crew member on a Southwest flight over the weekend. Per a letter from Lyn Montgomery, president of Transport Workers Union Local 556, to the airline's CEO, a flight attendant was "seriously assaulted" by...
As Masks Come Off, People
Try to Get Their Teeth Straight
May 5, 2021 7:40 PM CDT
As Masks Come Off, People Try to Get Their Teeth Straight
Orthodontists, companies report jump in business
- It might be too late to learn a new language before returning to the workplace, but many people are hurrying to have their teeth straightened after months of staring at themselves on Zoom calls. One New York orthodontist said new inquiries have risen 50% since fall. And the owner of...
3 Seconds of
Speech Goes Viral
Dec 9, 2020 10:55 AM CST
3 Seconds of Rep. Gohmert's Speech Goes Viral
Because the Texas lawmaker appears to lose a tooth
- It's not unusual for a politician's speech to go viral, but a 3-second clip of comments given by Texas Rep. Louie Gohmert on Tuesday managed to rack up 1.3 million views for a rather unusual reason. As the Recount put it in the caption of the now-viral...
Months After Recovery, COVID
Survivors Report an Oddity
Nov 27, 2020 9:30 AM CST
Months After Recovery, COVID Survivors Report an Oddity
Some are losing teeth, but oral experts aren't sure yet if the virus alone is causing this
- COVID-19 has already been linked to an "epidemic of cracked teeth." Now some believe the disease could be making people's teeth fall out altogether. The
New York Times
reports on this "bewildering" symptom among coronavirus survivors. One patient in an online survivors support group says one...
One More Thing to Blame
on COVID: Your Teeth
Sep 9, 2020 8:59 AM CDT
One More Thing to Blame on COVID: Your Teeth
Dentist says stress from virus is causing people to clench, grind teeth, leading to fractures
- Plenty of odd COVID-19 symptoms have cropped up , but one condition is now being documented in the dentist's chair—and it's not a symptom of the illness, but an apparent result of being stressed out by it. Writing in the
New York Times
, prosthodontist Tammy Chen details the...
Chris Cuomo Details
His Scary Symptoms
Apr 2, 2020 10:05 AM CDT
Chris Cuomo Details His Scary Symptoms
CNN anchor chipped a tooth during severe shivers
- CNN's Chris Cuomo revealed this week that he has tested positive for the coronavirus, but he's continuing to anchor his 9pm ET show from his basement. On Wednesday night, he talked about his symptoms with the network's medical correspondent, Sanjay Gupta. Some of the details, via Today....
8 Days After Operation, a
Surprise Find in His Throat
Aug 13, 2019 11:05 AM CDT
8 Days After Operation, a Surprise Find in His Throat
Man swallowed own dentures during procedure
- A British man who had a minor procedure was back in the hospital about a week later, thanks to something he swallowed during the surgery. The incident cited in the
BMJ Case Reports
journal says that the 72-year-old retired electrician had a benign lump in his abdomen taken out, but...
In Boy's Mouth: 526 Teeth,
Like 'Pearls in an Oyster'
Aug 1, 2019 10:40 AM CDT
In Boy's Mouth: 526 Teeth, Like 'Pearls in an Oyster'
The 7-year-old in India now has a regular amount
- A 7-year-old boy in India currently has 21 teeth. He used to have a whole lot more—another 526. The odd case began when the boy sought treatment for pain and swelling in his lower right jaw. An X-ray showed a teeth-filled sac, which one surgeon likened to a "...
Feb 4, 2019 9:10 AM CST
CDC: Kids Are Using Too Much Toothpaste
Fluoride in toothpaste is causing white streaks from dental fluorosis
- If you're the parent of young kids, think about how big a grain of rice is, or a pea, before you help them brush their teeth. That's because that's how big the drop of toothpaste on their toothbrush should be, depending on their age—kids up to...
Woman's Costume Sends
Her to Emergency Dentist
Oct 31, 2018 12:13 PM CDT
Woman's Costume Sends Her to Emergency Dentist
Woman is warning others not to use the glue that comes with fake teeth
- Anna Tew certainly had a scary Halloween experience, though not in the way you might think. The Mobile, Ala., woman bought a $3 pair of fake fangs to complete her zombie costume, and she applied them to her teeth using the glue that was included. Little did she know the...
US Service Members May Soon
Get Phones in Their Mouths
Sep 14, 2018 12:35 PM CDT
US Service Members May Soon Get Phones in Their Mouths
Pentagon signs contract for 'Molar Mic,' a communications device clipped to users' teeth
- Our sci-fi future is here, and in this version, US service members can make and receive calls through their teeth. That's the gist of Molar Mic, a communications device detailed in a new $10 million Pentagon contract with a California company, Defense One reports.
and CNET lay...
on Evidence of
That Ate Whales
Aug 10, 2018 3:00 AM CDT
Guy Stumbles on Evidence of Mega-Shark That Ate Whales
Schoolteacher Philip Mullaly found the shark teeth in Australia
- Imagine strolling down the beach and discovering a razor-sharp tooth from a shark twice the size of a Great White. Well, meet Philip Mullaly: "It was an awesome creature, it would have been terrifying to come across," the amateur fossil hunter and schoolteacher tells the
New York Times
Study of 'Hitler's
May 20, 2018 9:50 AM CDT
Study of 'Hitler's Teeth' Slams Conspiracy Theorists
'We can stop all the conspiracy theories about Hitler,' says study co-author
- Conspiracy theorists, take note: A new study of teeth and bone stored in Moscow concludes that Hitler really did die in 1945, AFP reports. "The teeth are authentic, there is no possible doubt," says study co-author Philippe Charlier. "Our study proves that Hitler died in 1945. We...
Brothers Vanished in 2010. Box
May Hold Clues to Their Fate
in case you missed it
Dec 17, 2017 3:00 PM CST
Brothers Vanished in 2010. Box May Hold Clues to Their Fate
Police trying to determine if box of remains found in Montana could be tied to missing Skelton brothers
- Three Michigan brothers went missing under odd circumstances in 2010, and now a box of remains in Montana may offer closure on their fate. Per MLive.com , Michigan State Police are exploring whether there's a tie between the disappearance of the Skelton brothers—9-year-old Andrew, 7-year-old Alexander, and 5-year-old...
T. Rex Had a Bite So
Powerful It's Hard to Fathom
May 17, 2017 1:06 PM CDT
T. Rex Had a Bite So Powerful It's Hard to Fathom
Chompers came down with equivalent force of 3 small cars
- Scientists already knew Tyrannosaurus rex had a ferocious bite, but a new study in Scientific Reports spells out in detail just how fearsome it was. In terms of raw numbers, they measured the bite force at nearly 8,000 pounds, with the tip of the teeth exerting pressure of around...
A 'Colorless' Cup of Joe,
Plus White Teeth
Apr 17, 2017 8:56 AM CDT
A 'Colorless' Cup of Joe, Plus White Teeth
New beverage called 'Clear Coffee' promises to prevent staining
- Two Slovakian brothers are promising to protect coffee lovers from stained teeth with a concoction they're calling the world's "first colorless coffee drink." It looks like a bottle of water, but CLR CFF is a "potent, cold brew," per the
. Self-described heavy...
Neanderthals Used Aspirin, Too
Mar 9, 2017 10:57 AM CST
Neanderthals Used Aspirin, Too
Plaque on their teeth reveals their dietary and medical ways
- Scientists are thrilled to have discovered a gross buildup on a few fossilized teeth, and with reason. Not only were they able to discern the three Neanderthals' diets (two ate primarily meat, one primarily plants), they're also feasting their eyes on prehistoric microbiomes that are shedding more light on...
Parents Warned to Avoid This
Type of Baby Teething Product
Oct 4, 2016 1:23 PM CDT
Parents Warned to Avoid This Type of Baby Teething Product
FDA says homeopathic tablets, gels may cause medical issues in babies
- New parents will do almost anything to relieve their little ones' teething pain—but one thing the FDA says they shouldn't do is give their babies homeopathic teething products, Live Science reports. In a Sept. 30 statement , the FDA warns these "natural" tablets and gels found in some...
Can Repair Teeth
From the Inside
Jul 5, 2016 12:32 PM CDT
New Fillings Can Repair Teeth From the Inside
They stimulate stem cells to regrow dentin: scientists
- Imagine a world without root canals. It's possible with what the UK's Royal Society of Chemistry calls "a new paradigm for dental treatments." Scientists at Nottingham and Harvard universities say they've developed dental fillings that stimulate stem cells to regrow and heal damaged teeth. Researcher...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
5 Murders Since July May Be Work of Serial Killer
Suspiciously Heavy Fish Lead to Chaos at Tournament
High School Football Team Cancels Entire Season After 'Slave Auction'
Susan Collins: 'I Wouldn't Be Surprised' if a Lawmaker Is Killed
After Late-Night Fatal Crash, an iPhone Calls for Help
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.