Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
historically black colleges
After Georgia Cops
Search Team Bus
May 10, 2022 3:40 PM CDT
University 'Incensed' After Georgia Cops Search Team Bus
Deputies seemed confident that women from historically black university had weed
- It was April 20, and the Delaware State University women’s lacrosse team was headed home up I-95. Near Savannah, Georgia, their charter bus was pulled over by Liberty County Sheriff’s deputies. According to
the driver "was initially told he was improperly traveling in the left...
6 Sweet Words
to College Grads:
'You No Longer
Have a Balance'
May 9, 2022 11:39 AM CDT
6 Sweet Words to College Grads: 'You No Longer Have a Balance'
Donor pays off debt of Class of 2022 at Wiley College in Texas
- As far as messages to graduating college seniors go, it's tough to beat. Wiley College President Herman Felton informed more than 100 grads of his school on Saturday that an anonymous donor had paid off their student debt, reports the Root . "If you have a balance, you
More Than a Dozen HBCUs
Receive Bomb Threats
Feb 1, 2022 3:39 PM CST
More Than a Dozen HBCUs Receive Bomb Threats
Black colleges and universities targeted as Black History Month begins
The first day of Black History Month resulted in more threats against historically Black colleges and universities. CNN reports that at least 13 such HCBUs across the US reported bomb threats on Tuesday, including Howard University in DC. Similar threats were reported Monday and last month. Authorities have not...
What a $50M MacKenzie Scott
Donation Has Helped Achieve
Nov 14, 2021 9:51 AM CST
What a $50M MacKenzie Scott Donation Has Helped Achieve
She gave that amount in 2020 to Prairie View A&M University
- MacKenzie Scott has famously given away billions of dollars of her Amazon-related wealth since 2020. Writing for the
New York Times
, Gina Cherelus zeroes in on where $50 million of those billions went: to Prairie View A&M University, a historically Black university in Texas. It's actually Texas' second-oldest...
Gift Is Biggest
Ever to HBCU
Feb 24, 2021 11:23 AM CST
Ex-UPS Driver's Gift Is Biggest Alum Donation Ever to HBCU
Calvin Tyler Jr. dropped out of Morgan State University in 1963
- If anyone knows what it's like to struggle to pay for college, it's Calvin Tyler Jr. He enrolled at Baltimore's Morgan State College (now Morgan State University) in 1961 to pursue a degree in business administration. A lack of funds forced him to drop out two years...
CEO to Take
Jun 17, 2020 10:50 AM CDT
America's 'Painful' Times Inspire One CEO to Take Action
Reed Hastings and wife Patty Quillin donate $120M
- The top guy at Netflix and his wife just made a major donation to black colleges and say they hope others will do the same, NBC News reports. Company CEO Reed Hastings and Patty Quillin said Wednesday they're giving $120 million to two historically black colleges and the United...
Waves in His
May 16, 2020 3:30 PM CDT
Obama Makes Waves in His Speech to Black Colleges
The former president says officials 'aren't even pretending to be in charge'
- The media was waiting for this one—and Barack Obama didn't disappoint. The former president, who's been making headlines with his jabs at the Trump administration, rolled out new quotes Saturday in an online commencement speech to historically black colleges and universities, the
New York Times
Billionaire Stuns Grads
With Commencement Pledge
May 20, 2019 12:33 AM CDT
Billionaire Stuns Grads With Commencement Pledge
Robert F. Smith will pay off the loans of Morehouse College students
- Billionaire investor Robert F. Smith received an honorary degree from Morehouse College during graduation ceremonies Sunday—and he told the rest of the Class of 2019 that they wouldn't have to worry about repaying student debt. "This is my class and I know my class will pay this...
Small Debts Blocked Their
Graduation. A Historic
Church Stepped In
Feb 13, 2019 11:00 AM CST
Small Debts Blocked Their Graduation. A Historic Church Stepped In
Black church donates $150K to historically black colleges and universities
- Debts between $100 and more than $3,000 stood between 34 Howard University seniors and graduation. Unless the debts, for things like tuition and fees, were paid, the students likely wouldn't receive their diplomas from the historically black university in Washington, DC. Then Alfred Street Baptist Church stepped in....
Kevin Hart Surprises 18 Kids
With College Scholarships
Aug 7, 2018 6:30 PM CDT
Kevin Hart Surprises 18 Kids With College Scholarships
The comedian's charity teamed with the United Negro College Fund to pledge $600K
- Kevin Hart has surprised 18 students with scholarships to college totaling $600,000. Per the
, the comedian's Help from the Hart Charity has teamed up with the United Negro College Fund and the Knowledge is Power Program to help students from eight US cities who are attending...
Wouldn't Get Her
Apr 17, 2018 2:30 AM CDT
Mom Warned Beyonce Crowd Wouldn't Get Her Coachella Set
Tina Knowles writes she 'stands corrected'
- Beyonce plans to make some generous donations to the historically black colleges she honored in her headline performance at Coachella on Saturday. The singer's BeyGOOD initiative will award $100,000 through its new Homecoming Scholars Award program to four institutions, the
Los Angeles Times
reports. One student each at...
May 10, 2017 1:48 PM CDT
Angry Students Drown Out DeVos During Graduation Speech
The education secretary was speaking at a historically black university in Florida
- Betsy DeVos was drowned out by boos when the education secretary attempted to deliver the commencement speech Wednesday at Florida's Bethune-Cookman University, Politico reports. According to Business Insider , students and audience members at the historically black university booed DeVos for nearly the entirety of her speech, even continuing to...
Feb 28, 2017 1:40 PM CST
DeVos Accused of Accidentally Praising Segregation
DeVos says historically black colleges gave students 'more options'
- Betsy DeVos is being accused by experts of being "embarrassingly ignorant" and inadvertently praising segregation and Jim Crow in a statement on historically black colleges and universities released Monday night, Politico reports. "HBCUs are real pioneers when it comes to school choice," the education secretary said in...
Obama Calls on Black College Grads to Be Role Models
May 9, 2010 4:30 PM CDT
Obama Calls on Black College Grads to Be Role Models
Speaking at Hampton U., president says education helps break down barriers
- President Obama delivered the commencement address at a historically black college today for the first time since taking office. He called on the graduates of Hampton University in Virginia to "be role models for your brothers and sisters, to be mentors in your communities and, when the time comes,...
Popular on Newser
Overturned Truck With Toxic Cargo Causes 'Multiple' Deaths
No Shutdown: Congress' Surprise Deal Is Approved
These Were Hollywood's Worst Moves
CDC Solves Mystery of Norovirus on Hiking Trail
Costco's Newest Product Keeps Selling Out in Just 'Hours'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.