Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
historically black colleges
America's 'Painful' Times Inspire One CEO to Take Action
Reed Hastings and wife Patty Quillin donate $120M
- The top guy at Netflix and his wife just made a major donation to black colleges and say they hope others will do the same, NBC News reports. Company CEO Reed Hastings and Patty Quillin said Wednesday they're giving $120 million to two historically black colleges and the United...
Obama Makes Waves in His Speech to Black Colleges
The former president says officials 'aren't even pretending to be in charge'
- The media was waiting for this one—and Barack Obama didn't disappoint. The former president, who's been making headlines with his jabs at the Trump administration, rolled out new quotes Saturday in an online commencement speech to historically black colleges and universities, the
New York Times
Billionaire Stuns Grads With Commencement Pledge
Robert F. Smith will pay off the loans of Morehouse College students
- Billionaire investor Robert F. Smith received an honorary degree from Morehouse College during graduation ceremonies Sunday—and he told the rest of the Class of 2019 that they wouldn't have to worry about repaying student debt. "This is my class and I know my class will pay this...
Small Debts Blocked Their Graduation. A Historic Church Stepped In
Black church donates $150K to historically black colleges and universities
- Debts between $100 and more than $3,000 stood between 34 Howard University seniors and graduation. Unless the debts, for things like tuition and fees, were paid, the students likely wouldn't receive their diplomas from the historically black university in Washington, DC. Then Alfred Street Baptist Church stepped in....
Kevin Hart Surprises 18 Kids With College Scholarships
The comedian's charity teamed with the United Negro College Fund to pledge $600K
- Kevin Hart has surprised 18 students with scholarships to college totaling $600,000. Per the
, the comedian's Help from the Hart Charity has teamed up with the United Negro College Fund and the Knowledge is Power Program to help students from eight US cities who are attending...
Mom Warned Beyonce Crowd Wouldn't Get Her Coachella Set
Tina Knowles writes she 'stands corrected'
- Beyonce plans to make some generous donations to the historically black colleges she honored in her headline performance at Coachella on Saturday. The singer's BeyGOOD initiative will award $100,000 through its new Homecoming Scholars Award program to four institutions, the
Los Angeles Times
reports. One student each at...
Angry Students Drown Out DeVos During Graduation Speech
The education secretary was speaking at a historically black university in Florida
- Betsy DeVos was drowned out by boos when the education secretary attempted to deliver the commencement speech Wednesday at Florida's Bethune-Cookman University, Politico reports. According to Business Insider , students and audience members at the historically black university booed DeVos for nearly the entirety of her speech, even continuing to...
DeVos Accused of Accidentally Praising Segregation
DeVos says historically black colleges gave students 'more options'
- Betsy DeVos is being accused by experts of being "embarrassingly ignorant" and inadvertently praising segregation and Jim Crow in a statement on historically black colleges and universities released Monday night, Politico reports. "HBCUs are real pioneers when it comes to school choice," the education secretary said in...
Obama Calls on Black College Grads to Be Role Models
Speaking at Hampton U., president says education helps break down barriers
- President Obama delivered the commencement address at a historically black college today for the first time since taking office. He called on the graduates of Hampton University in Virginia to "be role models for your brothers and sisters, to be mentors in your communities and, when the time comes,...
Popular on Newser
Harry Reid: If Dems Win, Give GOP 'No More Than 3 Weeks'
Report: Here's How Woman Died in 'Ungodly' Accident
Fistfights Break Out at Bloody Trump Rally
Election Feature That 'Triggered' Dems Is Gone
Mark Meadows Makes Startling COVID Comment
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Get our apps
Install our app
Suggest a Story
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.