Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Cops: Man Wanted
for 'Random' Murders
Jan 24, 2023 6:54 PM CST
Cops: Man Wanted for 'Random' Murders Killed Himself
Police say Jarid Haddock killed 3 people in Yakima, Washington convenience store
- A 21-year-old man wanted in the random killing of three people at a convenience store in Yakima, Washington, early Tuesday shot and killed himself as officers approached him behind some warehouses several hours later, authorities said. Yakima Police Chief Matt Murray said at a news conference that authorities had received...
Cops: Man Tried to
Pull Bikini Barista
Jan 18, 2023 11:08 AM CST
Cops: Man Tried to Pull Bikini Barista From Drive-Thru
Unnamed suspect to be charged with attempted kidnapping, say police in Auburn, Washington
- A bikini barista was working alone at a drive-thru coffee shop in Washington state around 5am Monday when a pickup truck driver tried to abduct her through the drive-thru window, police say. Surveillance video shows a driver at Beankini Espresso in Auburn grabbing the barista's arm with his left...
In 'Hilarious' Move,
911 on the Cops
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Jan 14, 2023 12:15 PM CST
In 'Hilarious' Move, Passenger Calls 911 on the Cops
Person in suspected DUI case misinterpreted law on police pursuits in Washington state, cops say
- A passenger being driven by a suspected drunk driver who allegedly reached speeds over 100mph called 911 on Sunday—but not to report the driver. Instead, in what Washington State Patrol Trooper Ryan Senger calls a "hilarious" move, the passenger called police on the police, claiming the pursuit of...
in Attack on
Jan 4, 2023 4:32 PM CST
Real Goal in Attack on Substations Was Theft: Officials
Court filing says men knocked out power, then broke into a business
- The attack on electrical substations in Pierce County, Wash., that left thousands of customers without power on Christmas Day was cover for a burglary attempt, sheriff's officials said. Two men were arrested over the weekend, and court documents say investigators think they knocked out the power as part of...
His MAGA Hat
Jan 4, 2023 3:16 PM CST
Appeals Court Backs Teacher Chided Over His MAGA Hat
9th Circuit Court of Appeals finds Eric Dodge's hat was a form of protected political speech
- A middle school teacher was protected by the First Amendment when he wore his "Make America Great Again" hat at a school building, a three-judge panel has found. Eric Dodge, a science teacher at Wy'east Middle School in Vancouver, Wash., filed a legal complaint after his hat sparked...
Vandals Damage 3
Power Substations in Tacoma
Dec 26, 2022 6:54 AM CST
Vandals Damage 3 Power Substations in Tacoma
About 14K people were initially without power in Washington state
- It appears to be the latest such incident in a disturbing trend: Vandals broke into three power substations around Tacoma, Washington, on Christmas morning and damaged the equipment, reports ABC News . The vandalism initially knocked out power to 14,000 people in the western part of the state, though most...
These Are the Best,
Worst States for Jobs
Nov 30, 2022 4:11 PM CST
These Are the Best, Worst States for Jobs
Washington tops WalletHub's list; West Virginia comes in last
- After a tumultuous couple of years marred by the pandemic, the job market is looking up, with many employers eagerly seeking new workers for their payrolls. Conditions for the job hunt are better in some states than in others, and WalletHub is here to break it all down. The site...
Grizzlies Were Wiped Out Here.
Feds Want Them Back
Nov 13, 2022 9:35 AM CST
Grizzlies Were Wiped Out Here. Feds Want Them Back
Effort to reintroduce bears to Washington's North Cascades begins again
- A controversial campaign to increase the number of grizzly bears in Washington state, specifically in prime habitat areas where a viable population has long been absent, has been renewed. Environmental groups applauded Thursday's announcement that the National Park Service and the US Forest Service had initiated a first step...
Another Surprise House Win
Keeps Democrats' Hopes Alive
Nov 13, 2022 5:33 AM CST
Another Surprise House Win Keeps Democrats' Hopes Alive
Marie Gluesenkamp Perez, an auto shop owner, defeats far-right foe in Washington state
- Democrats won a second key House race in Washington state Saturday—an open seat in a conservative region that long evaded the party. Marie Gluesenkamp Perez, an auto shop owner who describes herself as an independent-minded Democrat, pulled off a victory against Joe Kent, a far-right “America First” ex-Green...
Bikini Baristas Win
a Big Court Battle
Oct 30, 2022 8:40 AM CDT
Bikini Baristas Win a Big Court Battle
Federal court in Washington state says law banning their attire is discriminatory
- A Washington city's dress code ordinance saying bikini baristas must cover their bodies at work has been ruled unconstitutional by a federal court. The decision in a partial summary judgment this week comes after a lengthy legal battle between bikini baristas and the city of Everett over the rights...
HS Coach Fired for
Prayers on Field
Oct 27, 2022 3:33 AM CDT
HS Coach Fired for Prayers on Field Is Returning
Joe Kennedy to be reinstated by March
- The Washington state high school football coach fired for leading team prayers on the field will be given his old job back, per court documents filed this week. The Supreme Court sided with Joe Kennedy in June , finding in a 6-3 ruling that his First Amendment rights were violated. His...
Cops: Stabbed and Buried Alive,
She Made Incredible Escape
Oct 25, 2022 9:25 AM CDT
Cops: Stabbed and Buried Alive, She Made Incredible Escape
Chae An of Washington state charged with attempted murder of estranged wife Young An
- Washington couple Young and Chae An "are going through a messy divorce," as Fox News puts it. That looks to be an immense understatement, as the outlet reports Chae is accused of hog-tying his estranged wife before dragging her from her Lacey home and burying her alive in...
The Bear Attacked, So She
'Popped It Right in the Nose'
Oct 24, 2022 12:47 PM CDT
The Bear Attacked, So She 'Popped It Right in the Nose'
Woman survives ambush by black bear in Washington state while walking dog
- A woman in Washington state is lucky to be alive after a routine morning task ended up with her fighting an unexpected visitor. Per the Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife, the resident in the mountainous town of Leavenworth brought her dog outside for a walk around 7am Saturday, when...
Missing Teen Is Found,
but Case Takes a Twist
Sep 9, 2022 4:35 PM CDT
Missing Teen Is Found, but Case Takes a Twist
16-year-old is located in Washington state, then charged with murder
- It seemed like a good-news story at the time: On Sept. 1, police in Washington state found a 16-year-old boy in the woods who had been reporting missing the previous day, having failed to show up for football practice, reports the
. He was shirtless and in bare feet,...
As Her Captor Slowed
Car, She Made a
Desperate Move: Cops
Sep 7, 2022 11:36 AM CDT
As Her Captor Slowed Car, She Made a Desperate Move: Cops
Vancouver woman saved with help from residents in Camas
- A man is facing kidnapping and robbery charges after a woman jumped out of the moving vehicle he was driving and sought help from homeowners near Vancouver, Washington, officials say. The woman knocked on the door of a Camas home around 4:30am Saturday, telling homeowner Jamie Woods that she...
Floatplane Crash Victims
Include Winemaker, Family
Sep 6, 2022 5:12 PM CDT
Floatplane Crash Victims Include Winemaker, Family
Civil rights activist was also among the 10 dead in Washington state crash
- A civil rights activist from Spokane, Washington, a business owner, and the founder of a winery and his family were on the floatplane that crashed in the waters of Puget Sound , killing 10. The US Coast Guard released the names of the victims early Tuesday. The body of one of...
10 Presumed Dead in
Sep 6, 2022 12:20 AM CDT
10 Presumed Dead in Washington State Floatplane Crash
One body found, search for 9 others, including child, called off
The US Coast Guard suspended the search Monday afternoon for nine people, including a child, who were missing after a floatplane crashed in the waters of Puget Sound northwest of Seattle, the AP reports. The body of a 10th person, an unidentified female, was recovered by a Good Samaritan...
Here Are the Best, Worst
States to Have a Kid
Aug 9, 2022 9:35 AM CDT
Here Are the Best, Worst States to Have a Kid
Massachusetts is the No. 1 state, in WalletHub's assessment; Alabama comes in last
- If you're thinking of starting a family, or want to expand the one you have, there are some US states that may be better than others, from the birthing process onward. WalletHub looked at nearly three dozen metrics for all 50 states and DC, in four main categories: cost,...
The Business Climate
Is Tops in This State
Jul 15, 2022 11:37 AM CDT
The Business Climate Is Tops in This State
North Carolina comes out on top in CNBC survey of best, worst US states for business
- Looking to close a deal? Conducting business and staying competitive can prove a challenging endeavor, but in some states, the business world is booming. CNBC has released its 15th annual "America's Top States for Business" survey to help point movers and shakers in the right direction. It scores...
Chief Who Displayed
Nazi Insignia Will
Get $1.5M Payout
Jun 12, 2022 8:03 AM CDT
Chief Who Displayed Nazi Insignia Will Get $1.5M Payout
Seattle-area city is paying him to resign
- A suburban Seattle city will pay more than $1.5 million to settle a dispute with a former assistant police chief who was disciplined for posting a Nazi rank insignia on his office door and joking about the Holocaust. Former Kent Assistant Police Chief Derek Kammerzell, who had been with...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
On Roe v. Wade, Federal Judge Sees a 'Loophole'
This Is 'the Worst Kind of Earthquake'
Musk Is Worried About Himself. So Is His Mom
Teen Admits Horrific Murder of Classmate, 13
Shots Fired as Intruder Breaches Home of Air Force One
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.