Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
This State Has Made
the Most Racial Progress
Jan 17, 2022 8:07 AM CST
This State Has Made the Most Racial Progress
Arizona takes the top spot in WalletHub ranking
- Monday is the day we honor the late civil-rights leader Martin Luther King Jr., in a country still contending with racial discrimination and a deep divide regarding our nation's history on racism. WalletHub examines all 50 states and the District of Columbia to see which states are the most...
Here Are the Best, Worst
States to Raise a Family
Jan 10, 2022 10:45 AM CST
Here Are the Best, Worst States to Raise a Family
Massachusetts ranks highest in WalletHub's rankings, Mississippi comes in at the bottom
- Finding the best place to settle down and raise a family can prove a tough choice, with different levels of import placed on the various factors in play, depending on who's being asked. WalletHub looked at more than four dozen metrics in five main categories to help ease the...
Politician Who Opposed Masks,
Lockdowns Dies of COVID
Dec 19, 2021 5:30 PM CST
Politician Who Opposed Masks, Lockdowns Dies of COVID
Member or Washington's state senate tested positive in El Salvador
- Washington state Sen. Doug Ericksen, a staunch conservative, has died at age 52. Ericksen's death Friday came weeks after he said he had tested positive for the coronavirus while in El Salvador, though his cause of death wasn't immediately released. The state Senate Republican Caucus confirmed his passing...
7 Hurt After Black Friday
Mall Shootings in NC, Tacoma
Nov 27, 2021 7:30 AM CST
7 Hurt After Black Friday Mall Shootings in NC, Tacoma
And in Tennessee, 3 are dead, 4 wounded after mass shooting in Nashville apartment
- A trio of shootings across the US left three dead and nearly a dozen injured on Black Friday. NBC News reports that the three fatalities happened at an apartment in Nashville, Tenn., in an incident that also left four injured. Per WKRN , police responded to the shooting that took place...
After 8 Years, Battle Between
Florist, Gay Couple Is Over
Nov 19, 2021 2:14 AM CST
After 8 Years, Battle Between Florist, Gay Couple Is Over
Barronelle Stutzman settles for $5K, retires
- A florist in Washington state who was in an eight-year legal battle that reached the US Supreme Court will retire after settling with the same-sex couple whose wedding job she refused . Barronelle Stutzman of Richland, Washington, announced the settlement Thursday, saying she has paid $5,000 to Robert Ingersoll, the...
She Gave the OK for Steel Used
in Navy Subs. Now, a Guilty Plea
Nov 9, 2021 7:37 AM CST
She Gave the OK for Steel Used in Navy Subs. Now, a Guilty Plea
Retired metallurgist Elaine Thomas, 67, admits she falsified foundry's test reports on steel strength
- For about four decades, Elaine Thomas worked as a metallurgist for a steel foundry in Washington state, churning out steel castings used by Navy contractors to make submarine hulls. And for about 30 of those years, prosecutors now say, Thomas falsified results from tests designed to test the steel's...
10 Safest, Least Safe
States in US
Oct 26, 2021 11:27 AM CDT
10 Safest, Least Safe States in US
Vermont is No. 1 and Louisiana is last
- WalletHub usually considers a wide range of factors in determining the safest states in America, including the number of assaults, mass shootings, and terrorist attacks. This year, with the coronavirus pandemic still in play, it's also considering the percentage of residents who are fully vaccinated. That's one...
She's Been Missing Since 2020.
Now FBI Offers $10K For Info
Sep 19, 2021 8:30 AM CDT
She's Been Missing Since 2020. Now FBI Offers $10K For Info
Mary Johnson disappeared from the Tulalip Reservation in November
- The FBI is offering $10,000 for information that leads to the arrest of whoever is responsible for the disappearance of a Native American woman from Washington State. Per CNN , 40-year-old Mary Johnson was last seen on the Tulalip Reservation in late November. She was reportedly en route to a...
Teen on Joyride
Laughed About It
Sep 16, 2021 11:50 AM CDT
Teen on Joyride Allegedly Killed Runner, Then Laughed About It
15-year-old charged in juvenile court with felony murder of Greg Moore
- A 15-year-old girl took her godmother's vehicle out for a joyride without permission, then decided to "scare" a runner by hitting and ultimately killing him, according to prosecutors in Washington state, who've filed criminal charges of second-degree felony murder and felony hit-and-run. Charging documents allege the 15-year-old...
Relentless 'Murder Hornets'
Keep Building Nests
Sep 14, 2021 11:29 AM CDT
Relentless 'Murder Hornets' Keep Building Nests
Wildlife officials in Washington state have destroyed 2 this year, and found a third one
- Murder hornets—more formally known as Asian giant hornets —seem bent on putting down roots in North America. Wildlife officials in Washington state already have destroyed two nests this year and say they'll soon wipe out a newly discovered third one, reports the
. The invasive species first...
Washington Crews Destroy
Asian Giant Hornet's Nest
Aug 27, 2021 4:07 PM CDT
Washington Crews Destroy Asian Giant Hornet's Nest
State tries to find nests before they've produced queens
- Officials in Washington state said Thursday they had destroyed the first Asian giant hornet nest of the season, which was located near the town of Blaine along the Canadian border. The Washington state Department of Agriculture said it eradicated the nest Wednesday, the AP reports. The nest was located in...
4 Dead in Washington
Shooting, Arson Spree
Aug 26, 2021 12:00 AM CDT
4 Dead in Washington Shooting, Arson Spree
That includes the suspect in Wednesday incident
- Authorities believe one gunman killed three people and wounded another person during a spree of shootings and arsons in eastern Washington state on Wednesday, the AP reports. A suspect was believed to have been found dead later after police fired on a vehicle. KEPR reports that police were called about...
A Flight Landed Safely in
Seattle. Then, an Evacuation
Aug 24, 2021 8:19 AM CDT
A Flight Landed Safely in Seattle. Then, an Evacuation
Passenger's cellphone caught on fire on tarmac at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport
- Passengers usually breathe a sigh of relief once their plane touches down on the runway. For an Alaska Airlines flight arriving in Seattle this week, however, an incident
the aircraft had landed triggered an evacuation: a fire in the cargo hold that officials say was caused by a passenger'...
They Say 200
Died From PNW
Heat Wave. It May
Be Much More
Aug 12, 2021 4:05 PM CDT
They Say 200 Died From PNW Heat Wave. It May Be Much More
'Excess death' numbers out of Oregon, Washington state suggest hundreds more died than officially noted
- While much of the US was slammed with a wall of heat Wednesday , the Pacific Northwest in particular is bracing for more super-hot days, just weeks after enduring a deadly "heat dome" that shattered records. That weather event produced an official death toll of 95 in Washington state and...
Man Put in Cell With Sister's
Rapist Guilty of Killing Him
Aug 8, 2021 2:42 PM CDT
Man Put in Cell With Sister's Rapist Guilty of Killing Him
Department of Corrections denied request for new cellmate
- Shane Goldsby asked for a new cellmate. Goldsby, 25, was in prison for a stabbing, stealing a police car, and injuring a state trooper in Washington state. His cellmate, Robert Munger, 70, was in for child rape, child molestation, and possession of child pornography. One of Munger’s victims was...
Married Seattle Cops Who
Were in DC Jan. 6 Fired
Aug 7, 2021 12:58 PM CDT
Married Seattle Cops Who Were in DC Jan. 6 Fired
Alexander and Caitlin Everett, who are married, said they didn't know there was an attack
- Two Seattle police officers, a married couple, have been fired for their presence at the US Capitol riot on Jan. 6. Alexander and Caitlin Everett say they were only attending a political event. But photos and video shot that day show them standing in a restricted area, in full view...
Aug 4, 2021 1:03 AM CDT
Ohio Primary Election Results: Trump-Backed Candidate Wins
Mike Carey 'will never let you down,' former POTUS promises
- A Trump-backed contender won a Republican primary for an open US House seat in Ohio Tuesday, a triumph for Donald Trump after the former president's preferred candidate lost a special election in Texas last week . "Thank you to Ohio and all of our wonderful American patriots," Trump...
Salmon Essentially Being
Cooked to Death in Hot Rivers
Jul 27, 2021 3:16 PM CDT
Salmon Essentially Being Cooked to Death in Hot Rivers
Video shows them looking poorly in Washington
- The heat isn't just brutal on the human residents of Washington state. The non-profit organization Columbia Riverkeeper made the case, via video footage, that salmon in the Columbia River are suffering mightily too—experiencing heat nearly to the point of death. The video was taken on July 16, a...
In Washington State,
a Test of Police Reform
Jul 26, 2021 10:25 AM CDT
In Washington State, a Test of Police Reform
New laws take effect, though critics say they're creating confusion for officers
- Washington state is embarking on a massive experiment in police reform following the murder of George Floyd last year, with a dozen laws going into effect over the weekend, per the AP . But law enforcement officials remain uncertain about what they require, leading to discrepancies around the state in how...
In Seattle, One of Its
Jul 26, 2021 8:27 AM CDT
In Seattle, One of Its 'Worst Mornings of Violence'
3 dead, 5 injured after series of unrelated shootings during 3-hour span on Sunday
- Multiple sites in Washington state's largest city were hit by gun violence early Sunday, leading to three deaths and five injuries in a series of shootings that cops say were unrelated. In a release cited by CNN , the Seattle Police Department lays out the timeline, starting at around 1:...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Alec Baldwin Sued by Family of Fallen Marine
FBI Searches Congressman's Home
After Subway Push, Driver Stops With Inches to Spare
Report Incriminates Ex-Pope on Sex Abuse Cases
Tongans Celebrate 'Real Life Aquaman' Who Survived Tsunami
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.