Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Sep 27, 2023 4:09 PM CDT
Murder Suspect Recaptured in Minnesota
Kevin Mason was on the run for 2 weeks
- A murder suspect accidentally released from a detention center in Indiana has been recaptured in Minnesota, the state where there were three warrants out for his arrest. The Marion County Sheriff's Office in Indiana said Kevin Mason was recaptured in St. Paul on Wednesday after two weeks on the...
Key to Fugitive's Survival:
a Watermelon Farm
Sep 14, 2023 2:50 PM CDT
Key to Fugitive's Survival: a Watermelon Farm
Danelo Cavalcante eluded capture for two weeks in Pennsylvania, allegedly planned a carjacking
- So how did escaped prison inmate Danelo Cavalcante survive for two weeks in the woods of Pennsylvania? Authorities have revealed more details about Cavalcante's time on the lam—and his plans to stay free—before his capture on Wednesday .
Cavalcante lucked out by stumbling upon a watermelon farm
Photo of Cops With Recaptured
Killer Slammed as 'Inhumane'
Sep 14, 2023 6:31 AM CDT
Photo of Cops With Recaptured Killer Slammed as 'Inhumane'
Controversy arises over pic taken in Pennsylvania after Danelo Cavalcante was back in custody
- A group photo of about two dozen officers in tactical gear posing with escaped murderer Danelo Cavalcante minutes after his capture on Wednesday in southeastern Pennsylvania drew criticism from policing reform advocates and some members of the public. The moment of the photo was captured by a KYW-TV television news...
How Prison Escapee
Sep 13, 2023 10:20 AM CDT
How Prison Escapee Danelo Cavalcante Was Captured
Thermal heat technology, a US Border Patrol dog were key
- The hunt for escaped murderer Danelo Cavalcante in Pennsylvania came to a close on Wednesday morning, with Chester County authorities announcing his capture in a broadcast radio call made at 8:18am. "I'm proud to announce the subject is in custody. Repeating, subject is in custody," said...
Danelo Cavalcante Is Caught
Sep 13, 2023 7:57 AM CDT
Escaped Murderer Danelo Cavalcante Is Caught
Police to announce details of his capture at morning press conference
- Pennsylvania State Police say escaped murderer Danelo Souza Cavalcante has been captured after nearly two weeks on the run. State police announced Cavalcante's capture on X on Wednesday and planned a news conference announcing details for 9:30am ET. Heavily armed police had descended on the South Coventry Township...
'Training Was His
Suffering,' Says Mom
Sep 13, 2023 2:05 AM CDT
Escaped Murderer's 'Training Was His Suffering,' Says Mom
She insists her son is not a danger to the public
- As the manhunt for escaped murderer Danelo Cavalcante continues in Pennsylvania, his mother, in her first interview since he fled Chester County Prison on August 31, says the 34-year-old has been essentially training for survival his entire life. "His training was his suffering," Iracema Cavalcante tells the
Has Now Armed Himself
Sep 12, 2023 2:50 AM CDT
Escaped Murderer Has Now Armed Himself
As of early Tuesday, police said they were in active pursuit
- Convicted murderer Danelo Cavalcante escaped from Pennsylvania's Chester County Prison on August 31, and despite multiple sightings , he still has not been recaptured. On Monday afternoon, police said there was no longer a defined search area for the manhunt, though Cavalcante was still believed to be in the county,...
Went to the Homes
of His Former Co-Workers
Sep 11, 2023 1:40 AM CDT
Escaped Murderer Went to the Homes of His Former Co-Workers
And is now miles outside the original search area
- Escaped murderer Danelo Cavalcante showed up at the homes of two of his former colleagues Saturday night, police say. The convicted killer, who escaped from Pennsylvania's Chester County Prison on August 31, first went to the East Pikeland Township home of someone he worked with several years ago, the...
Terror Suspect's 75-Hour
Jailbreak Has Ended
Sep 9, 2023 7:45 AM CDT
Terror Suspect's 75-Hour Jailbreak Has Ended
Daniel Khalife, who broke out of London prison on Wednesday, was nabbed in west end of city
- Daniel Abed Khalife has been found. Local police say the 21-year-old terror suspect, who'd escaped from London's Wandsworth prison on Wednesday by apparently strapping himself to the bottom of a food delivery van, was arrested in the Chiswick section of the city around 11am local time on Saturday,...
With the Man
Who Killed Her
Sister on the Loose,
Sep 8, 2023 1:31 AM CDT
With the Man Who Killed Her Sister on the Loose, She's Terrified
Sister of prison escapee's victim speaks out
- It's been more than a week since Danelo Cavalcante escaped from a Pennsylvania prison , and the family of the woman he murdered is "terrified," says the Chester County district attorney. "They do have protection, and they are terrified. They haven't left their home," DA...
Murderer Used 'Crab Walk' to
Escape Pennsylvania Prison
Sep 7, 2023 1:28 AM CDT
Murderer Used 'Crab Walk' to Escape Pennsylvania Prison
Search for Danelo Cavalcante enters 8th day
- Thursday marks one week since convicted murderer Danelo Cavalcante escaped from a Pennsylvania prison, and the search continues in Chester County, about 25 miles west of Philadelphia. The reward for information leading to his capture has been increased to $20,000. On Wednesday, officials detailed how exactly the 34-year-old, who...
FBI Renews Its Hunt for
'Wisconsin's State Ghost'
Sep 6, 2023 12:20 PM CDT
FBI Renews Its Hunt for 'Wisconsin's State Ghost'
It releases photos of Leo Burt that have been aged 50 years
- Leo Burt was 22 when he was suspected of helping to commit the largest act of domestic terrorism at the time: bombing a mathematics center at the University of Wisconsin. The Aug. 24, 1970, attack, thought to be in protest of the Vietnam War, killed 33-year-old physics researcher Robert Fassnacht...
'Even While I Was in the House,
I Would Have My Doors Locked'
Sep 6, 2023 6:01 AM CDT
'Even While I Was in the House, I Would Have My Doors Locked'
Danelo Cavalcante still has not been found in Pennsylvania
- The search for escaped murderer Danelo Cavalcante entered its seventh day Wednesday, with the community around the Chester County Prison, from which he escaped Thursday, on high alert. A Pennsylvania State Police lieutenant said that if his home were around the search area, "even while I was in the...
Spotted on Camera
Sep 4, 2023 1:12 AM CDT
Escaped Murderer Spotted on Camera
Danelo Cavalcante, who fled county jail in Pennsylvania, also is wanted in Brazil
- The murderer who fled a Pennsylvania jail last week was spotted around 12:30am Saturday on a residential surveillance camera around a mile and a half from Chester County Prison, from which he escaped Thursday, CBS News reports. Roads in the area were blocked off to anyone other than residents...
Ahead of His Sentencing,
Proud Boy Goes Missing
Aug 19, 2023 7:02 AM CDT
Ahead of His Sentencing, Proud Boy Goes Missing
Christopher Worrell faced 14 years in prison, now has warrant out for his arrest
- A Florida Proud Boy convicted of seven counts in the Jan. 6 Capitol riot was to be sentenced in federal court on Friday, but it appears that Christopher Worrell had better plans. As NBC News reports, Worrell is missing and now has his very own wanted poster courtesy of the...
Police Spot Mob Fugitive
Among Soccer Fans
Aug 5, 2023 1:05 PM CDT
Police Spot Mob Fugitive Among Soccer Fans
Italian suspect is picked up in Corfu after celebrating hometown team's title
- Hometown passion for this year's soccer champions from Naples has betrayed the hideout of a longtime crime fugitive from Italy, who was captured while riding a motor scooter on a Greek island, Italian police said Saturday. Naples-based Carabinieri paramilitary police said the man, who was on Italy's list...
'This Guy Is Very, Very
Good at Fooling People'
Aug 5, 2023 6:00 AM CDT
'This Guy Is Very, Very Good at Fooling People'
Allen Todd May, 58, who escaped from Colorado prison in late 2018, is captured in Fort Lauderdale
- A career fraudster who escaped from a federal prison in Colorado nearly five years ago was captured this week while moving into a $1.5 million house near the ocean on Florida's Gold Coast, federal officials said Friday. Federal marshals arrested Allen Todd May, 58, at the house in...
Case of American Accused of
Faking Death Takes New Turn
Aug 2, 2023 1:30 PM CDT
Case of American Accused of Faking Death Takes New Turn
Scottish judge rules Nicholas Rossi can be extradited to Utah to face charges
- An American fugitive accused of faking his own death to avoid a rape charge in Utah can be extradited to the US, a judge in Scotland ruled Wednesday, calling the man "as dishonest and deceitful as he is evasive and manipulative." The wanted man known in Scotland as...
Couple Spot Jail Escapee,
Ending His Time on the Run
Jul 16, 2023 6:00 AM CDT
Couple Spot Jail Escapee, Ending His Time on the Run
Michael Burham emerged from the woods in Pennsylvania
- After Michael Burham escaped from jail Hollywood-style and disappeared into the woods of Pennsylvania, authorities were preparing for a long manhunt because of the fugitive's purported survivalist skills. The 34-year-old's freedom ended up falling just short of 10 days. The Pennsylvania State Police arrested him early Saturday evening...
Family Discovers 'Orphan' Dad
Killed His Parents in 1958
in case you missed it
May 14, 2023 7:25 AM CDT
Family Discovers 'Orphan' Dad Killed His Parents in 1958
William Arnold Leslie escaped prison, died a free man in Australia in 2010
- A man in Australia who tried to learn more about his late father's background discovered that he had covered up a huge secret for 43 years. The US Marshal Service says the man known to his family as John Vincent Damon was actually William Leslie Arnold, who killed his...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
One of McHenry's First Acts: Ordering Pelosi to Vacate Office
Everyone Is Talking About Pamela Anderson's Face
COVID-19 Vaccination Cards Are No More
'There Has to Be Consequences' for Kevin McCarthy's Ouster
Dad of 3 Killed on His Way to His High School Reunion
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.