Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Obama Has a Message for Republican Senators on RBG
Dems remind GOP of their remarks in 2016 on filling an empty SCOTUS seat during election year
- Mitch McConnell vowed late Friday that a vote will be held on President Trump's nominee to replace Ruth Bader Ginsburg on the Supreme Court, who died Friday at 87. But prominent Democrats, including Barack Obama, are pushing back, digging up the remarks of McConnell and other GOP senators from...
Lawmakers Are Locked in COVID-19 Aid Talks
'It was more productive than the other meetings': Sen. Chuck Schumer
- Lawmakers participating in rare weekend talks on a huge coronavirus relief measure reported progress on Saturday, as political pressure mounts to restore a newly expired $600-per-week supplemental unemployment benefit and send funding to help schools reopen, the AP reports. "This was the longest meeting we had and it was...
Next Move for Pelosi, Schumer Is 'Rooseveltian'
Senate minority leader says coronavirus relief plan is response to call for 'big and bold' action
- With millions out of work and the future still murky amid the coronavirus pandemic, Americans are wondering what relief may soon be coming their way. Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi have something in the works: specifically, an aggressive economic stimulus plan that Schumer describes in...
Schumer Takes Dig at Trump With Move on Stimulus Checks
'No PR Act' would block the president from putting signature on them
- Chuck Schumer thinks President Trump played politics with stimulus checks going out to Americans, and he's responding with a political move of his own. The Senate majority leader is introducing a measure that would block the president from signing any future checks, reports Politico . Schumer is calling it the...
As Trump, Schumer Clash, a 'Nasty' Letter Is Sent
President said NY was unprepared for outbreak because of 'impeachment hoax'
- President Trump and Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer spent Thursday clashing over the administration's coronavirus response, with Schumer criticizing the White House's "tardiness and inadequacy" and Trump firing back in more personal terms. Trump, who was impeached by the House in December, called the Democrat a "...
Schumer Accused of Threatening Justices
Remarks were condemned in a rare statement from Chief Justice John Roberts
- Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer "must pay a severe price" for saying two Supreme Court justice "will pay the price" if they decide to uphold restrictions on abortion, President Trump tweeted Wednesday. In a rare statement, Chief Justice John Roberts also criticized the Democrat, who said Trump appointees...
Little Progress Made at Trump's Wall Meeting
At least that's what Democrats seemed to indicate in early reports
- The 12th day of the government shutdown brought a meeting between President Trump and congressional leaders in which his Homeland Security officials were tasked with making a "plea" for the border wall. The 3pm Wednesday session, which comes one day before Democrats seize control of the House, was held...
Things Just Got Crazy Heated in the Oval Office
Trump, Pelosi, Schumer argue about the border wall
- President Trump dug in his heels on Twitter about his proposed border wall Tuesday morning. Then he dug in his heels again, hard, this time in the Oval Office and on camera. "Trump, Pelosi And Schumer Got Into A Big Fight About The Wall On Live TV" is how...
Deal or No Deal, 'Wall Will Get Built'
Ahead of meeting with Democrats, Trump claims progress on wall has hindered migrants
- President Trump's Tuesday meeting with Democratic leaders to negotiate funding for his proposed border wall should be interesting given that Trump started the morning by claiming work is already well underway and will be fully completed regardless of what Chuck Schumer and Nancy Pelosi have to say. "If...
Busiest US Train Station to Start Looking for Suicide Vests
TSA testing suicide-vest detectors at Penn Station
- The Transportation Security Administration will begin testing new suicide vest-detection technology at New York City's Penn Station starting Tuesday, Sen. Chuck Schumer says. Schumer pushed for the technology to be tested in New York City after a Bangladeshi immigrant injured himself setting off a crude pipe bomb strapped to...
Trump Taunts 'Cryin' Chuck Schumer'
Schumer withdraws border wall funding deal
- President Trump has blown the best offer he is likely to get for border wall funding, Democrats say. Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer says an offer he made for wall funding in exchange for a DACA deal has been yanked, Politico reports. He says the offer was made around noon...
Pelosi, Schumer Bail on Trump Meeting After Tweet
President said he didn't 'see a deal'
calls it a "make-or-break" meeting, and it looks like it's officially broke: Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer have pulled out of a planned meeting Tuesday with President Trump that was to also be attended by Paul Ryan and Mitch McConnell, reports
. The five...
Trump Vows to Kill Visa Lottery Program Immediately
Fans of 'This American Life' may be familiar with it
- Tuesday's truck attack in New York City has touched off a debate on immigration laws, one that pits President Trump against Sen. Chuck Schumer in particular. Trump called on Congress Wednesday to end a program known as the Diversity Visa Lottery because he says it allowed the attacker into...
Trump Blames Schumer After NYC Terror Attack
President says 'Diversity Visa Lottery Program' allowed suspect to enter country
- President Trump is singling out Chuck Schumer for blame after Tuesday's deadly truck attack in New York City. "The terrorist came into our country through what is called the 'Diversity Visa Lottery Program,' a Chuck Schumer beauty," he tweeted . "I want merit based."...
Trump Wants Hard-Line Measures in Return for DACA Deal
List makes no attempt at compromise, Democrats complain
- The "deal" with President Trump on DACA that top Democrats spoke of last month is still very much a work in progress—and the two sides are so far apart that it might not happen at all. In a list of "principles" released by the White House Sunday...
Coulter Raises Impeachment After Trump's DACA Moves
Right seethes amid confusion over status of president's supposed deal with Democrats
- So is there is a deal between President Trump and Democrats to protect "Dreamers" or not? Based on Thursday's confusion , the answer apparently boils down to semantics, observes Politico . But this much is clear: Trump and Democrats are close enough that the president's right-wing base is furious....
Democrats Say They Have Deal With Trump on Dreamers
Pelosi, Schumer announce plan after White House dinner
- In a move that stunned many Republicans, Democratic leaders announced Wednesday night that they had reached a deal with President Trump to protect Dreamers from deportation in return for funding extra border security—but not a wall. Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer and House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi announced the...
Chief of Staff's Next Task: Repairing Ties With Democrats
John Kelly already has reached out to Pelosi and Schumer
- New Trump chief of staff John Kelly has won generally rave reviews for setting a more disciplined tone within the White House, a shift that includes the ouster of the volatile Anthony Scaramucci. Now, the Daily Beast reports that he's already begun work on what might be a trickier...
This Photo Prompted One of Ted Cruz's Best Jokes Ever
It involves Chuck Schumer, Ben Sasse, and ... male rompers
- A caption contest on Twitter this week ended up pulling in Ted Cruz, Chuck Schumer, and a romper for men that's inexplicably all the rage. Mashable reports on a photo tweeted out Thursday by the
Washington Free Beacon
that showed a somewhat disheveled-looking Schumer chatting with Nebraska Sen. Ben...
Senators Vow to Write Their Own Health Bill
They say they're not going to be rushed
- ObamaCare is "dead," President Trump declared after the House narrowly passed the American Health Care Act Thursday—but before he can sign the death warrant, a bigger battle looms in the Senate. Republican senators say they're going to craft their own ObamaCare replacement bill, and with the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Felicity Huffman Has Paid Full Debt to Society
Before SCOTUS Vote, Democrats Have Request for Pence
Man Uses Most Unusual Way to Take Down Biden Signs: Cops
Fistfights Break Out at Bloody Trump Rally
Putin Speaks Out on Trump's Criticism of Biden Family
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Get our apps
Install our app
Suggest a Story
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.