Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Had Good News
Nov 18, 2021 12:42 AM CST
Amy Klobuchar's 6-Month Follow-Up Had Good News
Minnesota senator is cancer-free
Amy Klobuchar is cancer-free. The Democratic senator tweeted Wednesday that following her recent six-month "post-cancer" check-up, "everything was clear." After expressing gratitude to her family, friends, doctors, and nurses, she ended the post by reminding her followers to schedule their mammograms,
Democrat Is Retiring
Nov 15, 2021 10:00 AM CST
Senate's Longest-Serving Democrat Is Retiring
Vermont's Patrick Leahy won't run for re-election
- The longest-serving Democratic senator is calling it quits. Sen. Patrick Leahy of Vermont said Monday that he won't run for re-election next year, reports Politico . "It is time to pass the torch to the next Vermonter who will carry on this work for our great state," the...
On Senator's Side, GOP Brass.
In Challenger's Corner, Trump
Nov 13, 2021 6:00 AM CST
On Senator's Side, GOP Brass. In Challenger's Corner, Trump
Alaska's Murkowski launches 2022 reelection campaign, with Trump endorsee Tshibaka looming
- Only one of seven Republican senators who found Donald Trump guilty in his second impeachment trial is up for reelection in 2022, and she's now officially made her bid, with a challenger who's been endorsed by the former president. Lisa Murkowski filed on Friday to run for her...
Nov 2, 2021 11:47 AM CDT
Josh Hawley Starts Debate on Manhood
Senator says liberals are turning young men into pathetic creatures hooked on porn, video games
- Conservative Sen. Josh Hawley of Missouri opened a fresh battle in the culture wars with a defense of masculinity, arguing that the left is turning young men into wimpy creatures addicted to porn and video games. That, in turn, triggered a backlash against the 41-year-old. Coverage:
SEC Filing Puts
Call Under the
Oct 29, 2021 9:41 AM CDT
SEC Filing Puts 50-Second Burr Call Under the Microscope
Agency: Senator's brother-in-law dumped stocks after conferring with Burr in early days of pandemic
- In February 2020, Sen. Richard Burr was the head of the Senate Intelligence Committee, as well as a member of the chamber's Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions panel. He also had staffers tasked with helping out with the emerging pandemic. Those ties, and the knowledge on the coronavirus he...
Republican Is Running Again
Sep 24, 2021 9:40 AM CDT
Longest-Serving Senate Republican Is Running Again
Chuck Grassley, 88, says he has 'a lot more to do' for Iowa
- During his predawn jog on Friday, GOP Sen. Chuck Grassley tweeted a message to his followers that had a bit of a double meaning. "I'm running," he posted , and while he meant it literally, he was also referring to a decision he'd recently arrived at with...
Aug 19, 2021 5:28 PM CDT
More Senators Have COVID
King, Wicker, and Hickenlooper all have been vaccinated
- A Republican, a Democrat, and an Independent in the Senate all tested positive for the coronavirus on Thursday, despite being vaccinated. Sens. Roger Wicker, Angus King, and John Hickenlooper have all felt symptoms, CNBC reports. "While I am not feeling great, I'm definitely feeling much better than I...
Senator on Club Membership: 'I
Don't Spend a Lot of Time There'
Jun 22, 2021 10:25 AM CDT
Senator on Club Membership: 'I Don't Spend a Lot of Time There'
RI Dem Sheldon Whitehouse is in the hot seat again about his ties to an allegedly 'all white' Newport club
- A Democratic senator from Rhode Island is playing defense after he was grilled this week about his family's long-standing membership at an exclusive beach club. GoLocal Providence describes Bailey's Beach Club in Newport—which has had Sheldon Whitehouse, his wife, and other relatives as members for decades—as...
Capitol Officer's Mother
Lobbies GOP Senators
May 27, 2021 3:37 PM CDT
Capitol Officer's Mother Lobbies GOP Senators
Jan. 6 Commission lacks enough support from Republicans so far
- The mother of the late Brian Sicknick, the Capitol Police officer who died in the aftermath of the Jan. 6 attack, met with several Republican senators Thursday to ask for their support of a commission to investigate the riot. Gladys Sicknick had requested a meeting with all GOP senators, Politico...
Video Call Busted
by His Seat Belt
in case you missed it
May 9, 2021 2:40 PM CDT
Lawmaker on Video Call Busted by His Seat Belt
State Sen. Andrew Brennerd drives while Zooming, on day Ohio unveils distracted-driving bill
- On Monday, House Bill 283 was introduced in Ohio in a bid to tamp down on distracted driving by banning texting, taking photos, livestreaming, or otherwise using an electronic device while behind the wheel. That same day, a state senator was busted doing just that during a virtual meeting of...
of 'Big Push'
Apr 23, 2021 1:43 PM CDT
Ron Johnson 'Highly Suspicious' of 'Big Push' on Vaccination
Wisconsin senator says we shouldn't 'shame' people who choose not to get COVID vaccine
- One of the ways health officials say we can start to bring the pandemic to an end is to ensure a high percentage of the population gets vaccinated, achieving herd immunity . That's why comments from Wisconsin Sen. Ron Johnson are bringing heat, with some accusing him of promoting vaccine...
Trial Taken to Hospital
Jan 26, 2021 11:04 PM CST
Senator Presiding Over Impeachment Trial Taken to Hospital
Patrick Leahy undergoes tests after feeling ill, then heads home
- Sen. Patrick Leahy, who's presiding over the impeachment trial of former President Trump, was taken to a hospital Tuesday evening after saying he didn't feel well. After an evaluation, including tests, Leahy went home, the Hill reports. The Capitol physician had conducted a brief exam of his own,...
'I'm Not Heartless'
Dec 19, 2020 6:30 AM CST
GOP Senator on Blocking Stimulus Checks: 'I'm Not Heartless'
Ron Johnson insists $1,200 checks aren't the way to go, would balloon national debt
- As the end of the year draws near, Capitol Hill is still wrangling with a new COVID relief plan—and this week, one GOP senator made clear his views on stimulus checks to Americans as part of that plan. The Hill reports that on Friday, Republican Sen. Josh Hawley of...
Utah Senator Blocks
National Latino Museum
Dec 11, 2020 8:12 AM CST
Utah Senator Blocks National Latino Museum
And one for women, with Mike Lee saying we don't need 'separate but equal' Smithsonian museums
- For more than 25 years, there's been an effort to establish a national Latino museum within the Smithsonian Institution's museum family. And that dream seemed closer to coming to fruition this week, with bipartisan legislation toward that end on the Senate table. Enter Utah Sen. Mike Lee, who...
Rick Scott: I've Got COVID
Nov 20, 2020 10:03 AM CST
Rick Scott: I've Got COVID
Florida senator says he's 'feeling good' with mild symptoms, is quarantining at home in Naples
- Florida's Rick Scott is the latest senator to test positive for the coronavirus. The 67-year-old made the announcement Friday, noting he came into contact with someone after he returned to his home state on Nov. 13, and that person then tested positive, WESH reports. "I am feeling good...
Dems Slam GOP Senator
for 'Racist Tactic' at Rally
Oct 17, 2020 5:30 AM CDT
Dems Slam GOP Senator for 'Racist Tactic' at Rally
Ga.'s David Perdue mocked Kamala Harris' name at Trump rally
- Republican Sen. David Perdue mocked Kamala Harris, his Senate colleague and the Democratic vice presidential nominee, on Friday by repeatedly mispronouncing her name at a Georgia rally for President Trump. Perdue was wrapping up his remarks at an event in Macon when he referred to Harris as "KAH'-mah-lah?...
Jul 28, 2020 8:47 AM CDT
Senate Contender Blasts Opponent's 'Anti-Semitic Trope'
Georgia GOP Sen. David Perdue says pic of Dem Jon Ossoff accidentally distorted his nose
- Election campaigning in Georgia took an ugly turn this week as the Democratic challenger to a sitting Republican senator accused the latter of running an anti-Semitic ad against him. The
reports that the campaign of GOP Sen. David Perdue nixed a Facebook ad that had been running since July...
Jul 6, 2020 9:25 AM CDT
After Flight, Senator Slams Airline: 'Incredibly Irresponsible'
Trip on American spurs Jeff Merkley to introduce bill keeping middle seats from being filled in pandemic
- Jeff Merkley flew on American Airlines last week, and he wasn't happy with how his flight went—specifically, on how crowded it was in the midst of the pandemic. "How many Americans will die bc you fill middle seats, w/ your customers shoulder to shoulder, hour after hour,...
Rand Paul Has Suggestion
for Future Impeachment Trials
Feb 6, 2020 10:25 AM CST
Rand Paul Has Suggestion for Future Impeachment Trials
He wants arguments kept to 8 hours per side
- Rand Paul thinks presidential impeachment could become the new norm in the US following President Trump's saga—and he's got a few ideas about how the next trial should proceed. "I think we should change the process ... It's got to be a lot shorter," the...
Rand Paul to Fellow GOPers:
Careful on Vote in Trump Trial
Jan 16, 2020 8:03 AM CST
Rand Paul to Fellow GOPers: Careful on Vote in Trump Trial
Warns Republican senators their vote on witnesses could threaten their reelection runs
- President Trump's impeachment trial officially begins Thursday in the Senate, and at least four Republican senators will need to vote with Democrats to introduce new evidence and call witnesses such as John Bolton and Mick Mulvaney, per the
. And Kentucky's Rand Paul has a warning for...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Brooke Shields Blasts Barbara Walters for 1980 Interview
Before His Execution, Man Confessed to Another Murder
Finally, Cause of City's 'Stench of Death' Is Revealed
Suicide Pod Can Be Used in Switzerland
2 Die After Using Bed Rails
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.