Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Dentist Charged With Murder
After Girlfriend's Overdose
Mar 24, 2022 4:25 PM CDT
Dentist Charged With Murder After Girlfriend's Overdose
Texts allegedly reveal James Ryan 'continuously fed' Sarah Harris' addiction
- A Maryland dentist has been charged with second-degree murder in the death of his girlfriend, a former patient and employee, whom he was allegedly supplying with drugs. Sarah Harris, 25, had been living with 48-year-old James Michael Ryan in Clarksburg for seven months when she died of an anesthesia overdose...
After a 'Heinous' Murder,
Parents Turn In NOLA Teens
Mar 23, 2022 11:45 AM CDT
After a 'Heinous' Murder, Parents Turn In NOLA Teens
4 teens likely to be charged as adults in carjacking death of Linda Frickey, 73
- Four teens are facing murder charges in a "heinous and unthinkable" fatal carjacking in New Orleans on Monday—after two sets of parents turned them in. A 17-year-old male, 16-year-old female, and two 15-year-old females will be charged with second-degree murder in the death of 73-year-old Linda Frickey, who...
Her Body Was
Found in California
Wilderness in 2001.
Mar 4, 2022 2:05 PM CST
Her Body Was Found in California Wilderness in 2001. Now, Justice
3 MS-13 gang members convicted of murder in death of 13-year-old girl
- Justice was finally served Thursday in the case of a young California teen murdered more than two decades ago by MS-13 gang members. The
Whittier Daily News
reports that Santos Grimaldi, 39, and Melvin Sandoval, 42, were convicted of first-degree murder in the case of 13-year-old Jacqueline Piazza, who was...
Sheriff: Church Musician Killed
His Family, Then Called Cops
Dec 2, 2021 10:40 AM CST
Sheriff: Church Musician Killed His Family, Then Called Cops
'It just doesn't make sense'
- A Florida man is in custody after allegedly shooting and killing his wife, son, and daughter early Wednesday morning. "It just—it's crazy. It just doesn't make sense," Nassau County Sheriff Bill Leeper told WJXT . He said the suspected shooter, 57-year-old William Conway Broyles, called 911...
Adoptive Parents Plead Not
Guilty in 6-Year-Old Girl's Death
Nov 14, 2021 7:00 AM CST
Adoptive Parents Plead Not Guilty in 6-Year-Old Girl's Death
Isaac and Lehua Kalua of Oahu charged with murdering their adopted daughter
The adoptive parents of a 6-year-old Hawaii girl have pleaded not guilty to charges their horrific abuse led to her death. Per CNN , Isaac and Lehua Kalua, both charged with second-degree murder, entered their pleas via an attorney on Friday in the death of Isabella Kalua, previously known as...
Cops Who Tased Man More
Than 50 Times Guilty of Murder
Nov 9, 2021 1:21 AM CST
Cops Who Tased Man More Than 50 Times Guilty of Murder
Former Oklahoma officers convicted of second-degree murder
Two former Oklahoma police officers were convicted of second-degree murder Friday for excessive use of a Taser on an unarmed man who died two days later in 2019. The crime is punishable by 10 years to life behind bars. They were also convicted of assault and battery with a...
NY State Trooper Indicted for
Murder of 11-Year-Old Girl
Oct 28, 2021 8:21 AM CDT
NY State Trooper Indicted for Murder of 11-Year-Old Girl
Family of Monica Goods says she was killed after high-speed chase by Christopher Baldner
- A week before she turned 12, Monica Goods was killed on the New York State Thruway last winter after her family's car flipped over and threw her from the vehicle. Now, a New York State Trooper has been charged with murder, with Monica's family claiming Christopher Baldner rammed...
Teen on Joyride
Laughed About It
Sep 16, 2021 11:50 AM CDT
Teen on Joyride Allegedly Killed Runner, Then Laughed About It
15-year-old charged in juvenile court with felony murder of Greg Moore
- A 15-year-old girl took her godmother's vehicle out for a joyride without permission, then decided to "scare" a runner by hitting and ultimately killing him, according to prosecutors in Washington state, who've filed criminal charges of second-degree felony murder and felony hit-and-run. Charging documents allege the 15-year-old...
Man Who Killed High School
Runners Learns Fate
Aug 20, 2021 9:01 AM CDT
Man Who Killed High School Runners Learns Fate
It's 3 consecutive life sentences for Oklahoma's Max Townsend
- An Oklahoma man will likely never leave prison again after plowing his truck into a high school cross-country team , killing three and injuring four, on the day after his own son's death. Kolby Crum, 18; Rachel Freeman, 17; and Yuridia Martinez, 16, died as a result of the Feb....
Loud Music Allegedly
Led to Black Man's Death
Aug 11, 2021 12:51 PM CDT
Loud Music Allegedly Led to Black Man's Death
Unlicensed gas station security guard charged with shooting Alvin Motley Jr. in Memphis
- A Black man who traveled to Memphis, Tenn., to visit with his niece and nephew ended up dead at a Kroger gas station where he was allegedly shot by a security guard upset about his loud music. That's according to an affidavit claiming 54-year-old Gregory Livingston, who is white,...
Custody Battle Turns Deadly
Nov 10, 2020 7:44 AM CST
Ex-Ballerina's Bitter Custody Battle Turns Deadly
Ashley Benefield, 28, is accused of murdering estranged husband Doug Benefield, 58
- A former professional dancer is accused of fatally shooting her estranged husband after she claimed a domestic violence incident forced her to act in self-defense. A release from the Manatee County Sheriff's Office says the incident took place Sept. 27 in Central Park, Fla., where Ashley Benefield, 28—who...
After Grisly CEO Murder, Cops
Think They Have Their Man
Jul 17, 2020 10:33 AM CDT
After Grisly CEO Murder, Cops Think They Have Their Man
Police believe Tyrese Devon Haspil, 21, may have killed Fahim Saleh over discovery of embezzlement
- An arrest has been made in the gruesome Manhattan murder of 33-year-old tech entrepreneur Fahim Saleh. Two officials tell the
New York Times
that 21-year-old Tyrese Devon Haspil, Saleh's personal assistant, was taken into custody Friday morning and is expected to be charged with second-degree murder, as well as...
NM Cop in Fatal Video: 'I'm
Going to ... Choke You Out, Bro'
Jul 17, 2020 9:03 AM CDT
NM Cop in Fatal Video: 'I'm Going to ... Choke You Out, Bro'
Lawyer says neck restraint was sanctioned by police at the time of suspect's death in custody
- The former New Mexico police officer who used a fatal chokehold on a Latino man is now charged with second-degree murder. Former Las Cruces police officer Christopher Smelser was initially charged with involuntary manslaughter in the Feb. 29 death of Antonio Valenzuela. State Attorney General Hector Balderas filed the new...
He Escaped From Custody.
Then, a Chase and Gunfire
Jul 14, 2020 9:25 AM CDT
He Escaped From Custody. Then, a Chase and Gunfire
Ex-deputy Aaron Russell charged with 2nd-degree murder of unarmed man in San Diego
- A California sheriff's deputy has been charged with murder after shooting an unarmed man who'd escaped from a park ranger's car. Aaron Russell, 23, was arrested Monday and booked into San Diego County Jail on charges of second-degree murder, which could result in 15 years to life...
They Met Up for a Sneaker Sale.
Then Everything Went Awry
Apr 14, 2020 12:10 PM CDT
They Met Up for a Sneaker Sale. Then Everything Went Awry
Teen girl killed during shootout over Adidas Yeezy shoes near Miami: cops
- A Miami high school senior weeks away from graduation was killed last week during what cops say was a botched sale of Adidas Yeezy sneakers. Two men have since been arrested and charged with murder. CNN reports that Andrea Camps Lacayo died April 7 after she accompanied her boyfriend, Sergio...
She Said They Were Playing
Hide-and-Seek. Police Disagree
Feb 26, 2020 10:35 AM CST
She Said They Were Playing Hide-and-Seek. Police Disagree
Cops say Sarah Boone zipped boyfriend into suitcase and left him to die
- A woman zipped her boyfriend in a suitcase, ignored his pleas for help as she berated him with allegations of abuse and cheating, and ultimately left him to die, according to police in Florida. Sarah Boone—arrested Tuesday on charges of second-degree murder in the Monday death of Jorge Torres,...
She Vanished From a Beach.
Now, Her Husband's Arrest
Feb 21, 2020 8:09 AM CST
She Vanished From a Beach. Now, Her Husband's Arrest
Sonam Saxena accused of 2nd-degree murder during family's annual Hawaii vacation
- A Washington state family's annual Hawaii vacation has ended in apparent tragedy, with the dad now in police custody.
reports that 43-year-old Sonam Saxena, a product manager for Google Cloud, has been arrested on one count of second-degree murder after he told cops his wife disappeared after a...
She Said She Wanted a Divorce.
Then, a Cruise Ship Nightmare
Feb 8, 2020 9:00 AM CST
She Said She Wanted a Divorce. Then, a Cruise Ship Nightmare
Kenneth Ray Manzanares pleads guilty to brutal killing of his wife on Emerald Princess
- A family vacation took a terrible turn aboard a Princess Cruises ship, and now the legal repercussions continue for one of the vacationers. Fox 13 reports that 42-year-old Kenneth Ray Manzanares has pleaded guilty to second-degree murder for the killing of his wife, Kristy Manzanares, during a cruise to Alaska...
He Was Her
Dec 20, 2019 7:17 AM CST
He Was Her 'Longtime Love' —and Cruise Ship Killer
Eric Newman of Kansas admits to 2018 murder aboard Carnival Elation
- A Kansas man has admitted to killing his girlfriend on a cruise to the Bahamas. Eric Newman of Topeka pleaded guilty Thursday to second-degree murder in the death of 50-year-old Tamara Tucker of Missouri, with whom he'd set out on a four-day cruise in 2018, per the AP . Carnival...
Wealthy Man Wanted a Secret
Bunker, Got a Cell Instead
Jun 18, 2019 9:30 AM CDT
Wealthy Man Wanted a Secret Bunker, Got a Cell Instead
Daniel Beckwitt handed 21 years, with all but 9 suspended, in death of Askia Khafra
- During Daniel Beckwitt's trial, his lawyer explained the Maryland man wanted to build a bunker below his Bethesda home due to his fear of a nuke attack by North Korea. He'll now spend his time in a different sort of confined space. The
New York Times
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Judge Declares Florida Abortion Law Unconstitutional
Supreme Court Puts a Big Case on Next Term's Docket
Suspect in Star Cyclist's Murder Is Caught
Radio Station Abruptly Starts Playing Same Song on a Loop
Mom of Hospital Escapee: 'Terrified for the Community'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.