Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Court: California Pot Law
Doesn't Extend to Inmates
Aug 12, 2021 5:05 PM CDT
Court: California Pot Law Doesn't Extend to Inmates
Justices decide 5-2 that voters didn't intend to let prisoners have marijuana
- Prison inmates can't legally possess marijuana under California's law allowing recreational pot, the state Supreme Court ruled 5-2 Thursday in overturning a lower court that found prisoners could have the drug as long as they didn't consume it. The justices said the 2019 appellate court ruling allowing...
We May Not Need
Federal Marijuana Laws
Jun 29, 2021 1:22 AM CDT
Clarence Thomas: We May Not Need Federal Marijuana Laws
Because of the government's 'piecemeal approach'
- One of the Supreme Court's most conservative justices thinks we may be able to do away with federal weed laws. Clarence Thomas released a statement Monday in connection with the high court declining to hear an appeal from a Colorado pot dispensary looking to block the IRS from getting...
Becomes Legal in 19th State
Jun 22, 2021 1:47 PM CDT
Recreational Marijuana Becomes Legal in 19th State
Connecticut plans to address harm done by war on drugs
- Gov. Ned Lamont on Tuesday signed a bill making Connecticut the 19th state to legalize recreational use of marijuana, which remains an illegal drug under federal law. People age 21 and older will be allowed to possess and consume marijuana beginning on July 1 under the new law, which also...
Now That Pot
Will Be Legal Here,
a Surprise Forced
May 29, 2021 8:30 AM CDT
Now That Pot Will Be Legal Here, a Surprise Forced Retirement
Drug-sniffing K9 units in Virginia are being 'put out to pasture earlier than planned'
- Asking dogs to follow their noses won't work anymore in states that have legalized marijuana. As Virginia prepares to legalize adult possession of up to an ounce of marijuana on July 1, drug-sniffing police dogs from around the state are being forced into early retirement, following a trend in...
New Inroads in the South
Apr 8, 2021 2:32 AM CDT
Marijuana Makes New Inroads in the South
Virginia becomes first Southern state to legalize recreational use
- Virginia became the first Southern state to legalize marijuana Wednesday, as lawmakers voted to approve Gov. Ralph Northam’s proposed changes to a bill that will allow adults to possess and cultivate small amounts of the drug starting in July. Northam sent the bill back to lawmakers substantially changed from...
New York Becomes 3rd State
to Legalize Pot in This Fashion
Mar 31, 2021 12:22 PM CDT
New York Becomes 3rd State to Legalize Pot in This Fashion
Lawmakers approved the change
- New York has become the latest state to legalize recreational marijuana—and the third where the change was approved by lawmakers, not voters. Gov. Andrew Cuomo signed a legalization bill Wednesday morning, calling it a "historic day," CNBC reports. The legislation was passed Tuesday evening by votes of...
New York on Track to
Legalize Recreational Pot
Mar 28, 2021 3:30 PM CDT
New York on Track to Legalize Recreational Pot
An agreement is expected to be signed into law soon
- New York is poised to join a growing number of states that have legalized marijuana after state lawmakers reached a deal to allow sales of the drug for recreational use, the AP reports. The agreement reached Saturday, which is expected to be signed into law in the coming days, would...
New York's Deal Sets Up
$4.2B Recreational Pot Market
Mar 25, 2021 6:00 PM CDT
New York's Deal Sets Up $4.2B Recreational Pot Market
Plan includes a social equity component to help people hurt by past practices
- New York lawmakers have reached an agreement with Gov. Andrew Cuomo that would make recreational marijuana legal in the state. Officials said the change should help eliminate a longtime inequity—Black and Hispanic people are arrested on minor marijuana charges much more often than white people are—while setting up...
1st Southern State Legalizes
Feb 28, 2021 8:21 AM CST
1st Southern State Legalizes Recreational Marijuana
Virginia joins a growing list
- Virginia has become the sixteenth state, and first in the South, to legalize marijuana. Per the AP , state lawmakers gave final approval Saturday to a bill that will legalize marijuana for adult recreational use. With a compromise bill clearing the House and Senate, Virginia joins 15 other states and the...
This Columbia Prof Has Used
Heroin, Regularly, for 5 Years
Feb 13, 2021 11:48 AM CST
This Columbia Prof Has Used Heroin, Regularly, for 5 Years
Carl Hart makes a scientific case in 'Drug Use for Grown-Ups'
- Carl Hart is a psychology professor at Columbia University, a well regarded researcher, and "an unapologetic drug user" who has been using heroin regularly for five years. So the 54-year-old reveals in
Drug Use for Grown-Ups
, which he released in January. Unapologetic is right. As the
Jamaica Running Low on Weed
Feb 8, 2021 10:05 AM CST
'Cultural Embarrassment:' Jamaica Running Low on Weed
Rain, drought, pandemic, legalization, fewer farmers all mean less ganja on the island
- Jamaica is running low on ganja. Heavy rains followed by an extended drought, an increase in local consumption, and a drop in the number of marijuana farmers have caused a shortage in the island's famed but largely illegal market that experts say is the worst they've seen. "...
House Makes Landmark
Move on Marijuana
Dec 4, 2020 2:18 PM CST
House Makes Landmark Move on Marijuana
Votes for first time to decriminalize, though it's not going anywhere in the Senate
- Reflecting changing attitudes among Americans, the House voted Friday to decriminalize marijuana. The measure, approved with support from both parties on a 228-164 vote, also would expunge nonviolent convictions related to marijuana offenses, the
New York Times
reports. And the drug would no longer be covered by the Controlled Substances...
Legal Weed Is a Go
in These 4 States
Nov 4, 2020 4:18 AM CST
Legal Weed Is a Go in These 4 States
NJ, Ariz., Mont., SD vote to legalize
- A New Jersey constitutional amendment to legalize cannabis won Tuesday, NJ.com reports. With nearly 60% of precincts reporting, more than 67% of ballots came back with a yes vote, as had been expected. "Legalization is the result of years of hard work from a diverse group of individuals...
May Be First
Nov 3, 2020 8:32 AM CST
One State May Be First to Decriminalize Hard Drugs
Oregon votes on measure, while 4 other states may legalize marijuana
- The march toward legal marijuana has a chance to move forward in four more states on Tuesday, while Oregon ponders a groundbreaking move on harder drugs. Details:
Oregon may become the first state to decriminalize hard drugs, reports the AP . Under the ballot measure, people caught with small
Here's the 'Optimal' Minimum
Legal Age for Pot Use
May 14, 2020 9:01 AM CDT
Here's the 'Optimal' Minimum Legal Age for Pot Use
It should be no lower than 19, Canadian researchers say
- Every US state that has legalized marijuana has made the minimum age 21, in line with the drinking age. New research out of Canada suggests it may be OK to go a little lower. In a study published in the journal
BMC Public Health
, researchers say they determined "19...
LA County Wipes Out
60 Years of Pot Convictions
Feb 14, 2020 1:12 AM CST
LA County Wipes Out 60 Years of Pot Convictions
Judge approves erasure of 66K convictions
- Los Angeles County District Attorney Jackie Lacey says she has helped correct the "inequity of the past" by wiping out 66,000 marijuana convictions. A motion signed by LA County Superior Court Judge Sam Ohta this week erases 62,000 felony convictions from as far back as 1961, when...
First Day of Legal Pot Sales in
This State Was a Big One
Jan 3, 2020 10:35 AM CST
First Day of Legal Pot Sales in This State Was a Big One
Nearly $3.2 million of cannabis was sold in Illinois on Wednesday
- It was freezing in many parts of Illinois on New Year's Day, but that didn't stop droves of people from standing in line for the state's first day of legal marijuana sales. And the day brought in a hefty haul: NBC Chicago reports that, per the state'...
NYC Mayor Slams 'Infuriating'
Claim on Murdered Student
Dec 16, 2019 8:43 AM CST
NYC Mayor Slams 'Infuriating' Claim on Murdered Student
Bill de Blasio says NYPD union chief shouldn't be 'shaming' Tessa Majors with marijuana claim
- A 13-year-old suspect is in custody related to the murder of Barnard College freshman Tessa Majors , with police still seeking other suspects, but her killing has become what the
New York Daily News
calls a "political football," drawing in New York City's mayor, the head of the...
Legalizing Pot May
Decrease Teen Use
Jul 9, 2019 7:21 PM CDT
Legalizing Pot May Decrease Teen Use
Study looked at self-reported data on teen drug use between 1993 and 2017
- Think legalizing pot will lead to more teens using the drug? Think again. A new US study finds that pot legalization laws may actually
teen pot use, Reuters reports. The study, reported in JAMA Pediatrics , looked at survey data on substance use that had been collected from 1.4...
Company Takes a Tough
Pot Stand on 4/20
Apr 21, 2019 5:30 PM CDT
Company Takes a Tough Pot Stand on 4/20
Ben & Jerry's wants weed convictions expunged
- On marijuana's unofficial holiday, Ben and Jerry's took a tough political stand. "It's hard to celebrate 4/20 when so many people of color are still being arrested for pot," the ice cream chain tweeted on Saturday, per KRIS-TV . "We have to do better."...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
WHO Names Variant; US Issues Travel Restrictions
Scientists Question Models After Arctic Ocean Finding
Taylor Swift Just Outdid 'American Pie'
Dow Just Had Worst Black Friday on Record
New COVID Variant Is a 'Big Jump in Evolution'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.