Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
True Crime Fan Who Killed
'Out of Curiosity' Learns Fate
in case you missed it
Nov 26, 2023 3:05 PM CST
True Crime Fan Who Killed 'Out of Curiosity' Learns Fate
Jung Yoo-jung of South Korea sentenced to life in prison for murder of tutor
- A young fan of the true crime genre who admitted to brutally murdering a stranger "out of curiosity" was sentenced to life in prison in South Korea on Friday. Jung Yoo-jung, 23, was arrested in June after the taxi driver she hired reported seeing her dump a blood-soaked suitcase...
Japan Slams 'Unacceptable'
Ruling in 'Comfort Women' Case
Nov 24, 2023 12:10 PM CST
Japan Slams 'Unacceptable' Ruling in 'Comfort Women' Case
South Korean court orders country to compensate women forced into sexual slavery
- In a seven-year court case that has outlived almost all of the women affected by it, Japan has been ordered to compensate so-called "comfort women" who were forced into sexual slavery by its military during World War II. The Seoul High Court in South Korea overturned a lower court'...
South: We'll Know Within Days
if North's Spy Satellite Works
Nov 23, 2023 8:10 AM CST
South: We'll Know Within Days if North's Spy Satellite Works
Spy agency says intelligence shows North Korea had help from Russia
- South Korea has concluded that Russian support likely enabled North Korea to put a spy satellite into orbit for the first time this week, and it should be clear in several days whether it is functioning properly, officials said Thursday. In a closed-door briefing, South Korea's spy agency cited...
Worker Inspecting a
Robot Is Killed by It
Nov 8, 2023 12:05 PM CST
Worker Inspecting a Robot Is Killed by It
South Korean man was testing robotic arm at produce distribution center when it grabbed him
- Movies show us nightmare scenarios of artificial intelligence rising up and intentionally killing humans. That's not a reality, at least as far as we know. But accidents do happen, most recently in South Korea. On Wednesday, a robotics company employee was inspecting a robot used to move boxes at...
This Is an Unusual Way to
Defect to South Korea
Oct 24, 2023 11:48 AM CDT
This Is an Unusual Way to Defect to South Korea
4 suspected defectors from North Korea found in small wooden boat in South Korean waters
- Four North Koreans were found in a small wooden boat in South Korean waters on Tuesday in what's likely a rare case of North Koreans taking a risky sea voyage to flee to the South, Seoul officials said. More than 30,000 North Koreans have fled to South Korea...
This Is the
Nation on Earth
Oct 7, 2023 7:45 AM CDT
This Is the Most Innovative Nation on Earth
Switzerland is No. 1, again, while the US falls one spot
- Monday has already proven a banner day for innovation, with the Nobel Prize in medicine bestowed on Katalin Kariko and Drew Weissman for their work that helped develop the COVID-19 mRNA vaccines. Now, certain nations around the world can crow about their placement on the World Intellectual Property Organization's...
In This Nation, Teachers Have
Had It With Abusive Parents
Sep 17, 2023 9:00 AM CDT
In This Nation, Teachers Have Had It With Abusive Parents
South Korean educators stage mass rally for better protection of their rights
- Thousands of South Korean school teachers and staff rallied in Seoul on Saturday for more legal protection from bullying by parents, a rising problem in a country known for its brutally competitive school environments. The weekend demonstrations in the capital city, were triggered by the death of a teacher who...
In China, an Unusual Tactic
to Boost Young Marriage
Sep 2, 2023 1:55 PM CDT
In China, an Unusual Tactic to Boost Young Marriage
One region is bestowing cash for brides under 25
- Officials in one part of China are urging people to get married at a young age, with cash as an incentive. Couples who marry in Zhejiang province's Changshan County when the bride is 25 or younger will receive a $137 cash bonus, the county announced last week, noting the...
Chinese Dissident Planned
Jet Ski Escape for Years
Aug 25, 2023 2:45 PM CDT
Chinese Dissident Planned Jet Ski Escape for Years
Kwon Pyong told friends of his plan to reach South Korea as early as 2019
- The man who fled from China to South Korea on a jet ski last week reportedly planned his escape for years. A friend in the US tells the
New York Times
that Kwon Pyong, a 35-year-old human rights activist critical of Chinese President Xi Jinping, "felt depressed living in...
Launch of Spy Satellite Failed
Again, North Korea Says
Aug 23, 2023 7:15 PM CDT
Launch of Spy Satellite Failed Again, North Korea Says
Space agency says it will try again in October
- North Korea said Thursday that its second attempt to launch a spy satellite failed but vowed to make a third attempt in October. The announcement followed a statement by South Korea's military that North Korea had launched a long-range rocket, the AP reports. The North's space agency said...
Chinese Dissident Flees
Country on Jet Ski
Aug 23, 2023 2:30 PM CDT
Chinese Dissident Flees Country on Jet Ski
Kwon Pyong, towing spare cans of fuel, traveled nearly 200 miles to South Korea
- As a human rights activist with a history of criticizing Xi Jinping, it's highly unlikely that Kwon Pyong would have been allowed to leave China through normal channels. Instead, fellow activists say, he fled the country in a very unusual way, riding a jet ski for almost 200 miles...
US, Japan, and South Korea
Agree to Consult in Crisis
Aug 18, 2023 4:45 PM CDT
US, Japan, and South Korea Agree to Consult in Crisis
Nations also expand economic ties in Camp David meeting
- President Biden and the leaders of Japan and South Korea agreed Friday to expand security and economic ties at a historic summit at the presidential retreat of Camp David. Their meeting comes at a time when the three countries are on an increasingly tense ledge in their relations with China...
'Something Special' Is About
to Go Down at Camp David
Aug 18, 2023 8:23 AM CDT
'Something Special' Is About to Go Down at Camp David
In rare summit at Maryland retreat, President Biden, Japan PM, South Korean president to meet
- On Friday, President Biden will host a summit at Camp David with Japanese Prime Minister Fumio Kishida and South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol, "bridging generations of friction between the two Asian powers to forge mutual security arrangements in the face of an increasingly assertive China," reports the...
Is in the
Aug 8, 2023 1:00 AM CDT
Another K-Pop Star Is in the Army Now
BTS' Suga begins his mandatory military service in South Korea
- A third member of K-pop group BTS has begun his compulsory military service in South Korea. Following the enlistment of Jin, the group's eldest member, in December, a second member, J-Hope, followed suit in April. Now it's Suga's turn, the AP reports. "We would like to...
World Scout Jamboree
Just Got More Disastrous
Aug 7, 2023 10:54 AM CDT
World Scout Jamboree Just Got More Disastrous
After hundreds were sickened by intense heat, 36K kids will be evacuated ahead of a tropical storm
- South Korea will evacuate tens of thousands of scouts by bus from a coastal jamboree site as Tropical Storm Khanun looms, officials said Monday. As the AP reports, more than 1,000 vehicles will be used starting Tuesday morning to move 36,000 scouts—mostly teenagers—from the World Scout...
Heat Sickens Hundreds
at World Scout Jamboree
Aug 4, 2023 9:34 AM CDT
Heat Sickens Hundreds at World Scout Jamboree
12-day event is being held in 'vast treeless area' in South Korea
- The first World Scout Jamboree since the pandemic is being held amid South Korea's hottest summer in years—and the on-site hospital has been very busy. The
reports that 138 people were treated for heat-related illness on Thursday alone, bringing the total to more than 700 in the...
14 Injured in
Aug 3, 2023 11:31 AM CDT
14 Injured in South Korea Stabbing Rampage
Attacker drove car onto sidewalk in Seoul suburb before stabbing shoppers
- A man rammed a car onto a sidewalk Thursday in South Korea, then stepped out of the vehicle and began stabbing people at a shopping mall. Authorities said at least 14 people were wounded in the country's second mass stabbing in less than a month, the AP reports. At...
US Soldier Reportedly Crossed
Into North Korea on Purpose
Jul 18, 2023 9:09 AM CDT
US Soldier Reportedly Crossed Into North Korea on Purpose
Unidentified person, who was on a tour of the DMZ at the time, has been detained
Updated throughout with new information.
The US has a new diplomatic incident brewing with North Korea: The UN tweeted Tuesday that a US national crossed the border into North Korea on Tuesday and is now detained. The person was on an organized tour of the Joint Security Area at the...
13 Die in South Korea
as Tunnel Floods in Minutes
Jul 17, 2023 9:42 AM CDT
13 Die in South Korea as Tunnel Floods in Minutes
Rescuers have saved 9 who were trapped in underground roadway
- Heavy downpours lashed South Korea for a ninth day on Monday as rescuers struggled to search for survivors in landslides, buckled homes, and swamped vehicles in the most destructive storm to hit the country this year. At least 40 people have died, reports the AP , 34 others are injured, and...
North Korea's Failed
Spy Satellite Couldn't Really Spy
Jul 5, 2023 9:01 AM CDT
North Korea's Failed Spy Satellite Couldn't Really Spy
US and South Korean experts have analyzed the debris
- In late May, a North Korean rocket carrying its first military reconnaissance satellite crashed shortly after liftoff ; a month later, top North Korean officials vowed to try again to get it aloft, calling the failure a "most serious" one. South Korea now says its analysis of the debris suggests...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
She Ditched Broadway Dreams, Became Flo From Progressive
Pentagon: US Ships Were Attacked in Red Sea
America's Avocado Habit Is Wreaking Havoc in Mexico
Your Walking Speed Affects Health Benefits
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.