Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Boston Marathon bombing
Stories 1 - 20 |
SCOTUS Seems to Lean
Toward Death for Tsarnaev
Oct 13, 2021 12:54 PM CDT
SCOTUS Seems to Lean Toward Death for Tsarnaev
The court heard oral arguments Wednesday
- The Supreme Court sounded ready Wednesday to reinstate the death penalty for convicted Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev. In more than 90 minutes of arguments, the court's six conservative justices seemed likely to embrace the Biden administration's argument that a federal appeals court mistakenly threw out Tsarnaev's...
Here Are the Big Cases
SCOTUS Will Hear This Term
Oct 4, 2021 11:31 AM CDT
Here Are the Big Cases SCOTUS Will Hear This Term
Abortion, gun rights, state secrets are on the docket
- The Supreme Court has begun a momentous new term, back in the courtroom after a nearly 19-month absence because of the coronavirus pandemic. Eight of the nine justices took the bench at 10am Monday for the first arguments of the new term. Justice Brett Kavanaugh is participating remotely from his...
Acts of Kindness Mark
a Painful Anniversary
Apr 15, 2021 7:05 PM CDT
Acts of Kindness Mark a Painful Anniversary
Mayor encourages smaller gestures because of the pandemic
- Boston marked eight years since the bombing at the 2013 Boston Marathon killed three people and injured scores of others on Thursday with quiet moments of reflection and small acts of kindness. Acting Mayor Kim Janey visited fire stations that had been critical in the response to the attack, as...
Court May Reinstate Boston
Bomber's Death Sentence
Mar 22, 2021 9:30 AM CDT
Court May Reinstate Boston Bomber's Death Sentence
Supreme Court agrees to consider Dzhokhar Tsarnaev case
- The Supreme Court said Monday it will consider reinstating the death sentence for Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev , presenting President Biden with an early test of his opposition to capital punishment. The justices agreed to hear an appeal filed by the Trump administration, which carried out executions of 13 federal...
He Ran Dozens of Marathons,
While Pushing His Son
Mar 18, 2021 2:04 PM CDT
He Ran Dozens of Marathons, While Pushing His Son
Dick Hoyt and son Rick gained renown at Boston races for decades
- Dick Hoyt, who inspired thousands of runners, fathers, and disabled athletes by pushing his son in a wheelchair in dozens of Boston Marathons, has died at age 80, per the AP . Hoyt died in his sleep at his Holland, Massachusetts, home on Wednesday, says his family. He had been struggling...
Boston Bomber Sues Feds
After His Hat Is Taken Away
Jan 8, 2021 8:36 AM CST
Boston Bomber Sues Feds After His Hat Is Taken Away
Tsarnaev says he is being mistreated at Supermax
- Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, whose terrorist attack on the Boston Marathon in 2013 took the lives of three people and caused 17 others to lose limbs, is complaining about his hat being taken away. The Supermax inmate is suing the federal government for $250,000, alleging that mistreatment has contributed to his...
Barr Announces Move
on Boston Marathon Bomber
Aug 20, 2020 7:25 PM CDT
Barr Announces Move on Boston Marathon Bomber
Justice Department will seek to reinstate the death penalty
- The Justice Department will seek to reinstate a death penalty for Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, who was convicted of carrying out the 2013 Boston Marathon bombing, Attorney General William Barr said Thursday. Barr said the Justice Department would appeal the court’s ruling last month that tossed Tsarnaev’s death sentence and...
Boston Marathon Bomber Has
Death Sentence Overturned
Jul 31, 2020 3:02 PM CDT
Boston Marathon Bomber Has Death Sentence Overturned
New penalty-phase trial is ordered
- A federal appeals court on Friday overturned the death sentence of Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, the man convicted in the 2013 Boston Marathon bombing. A three-judge panel of the 1st U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ordered a new penalty-phase trial, finding that the judge who oversaw the case didn't sufficiently...
Boston Marathon Survivor
'Broken' After Another Setback
Jan 7, 2019 9:45 AM CST
Boston Marathon Survivor 'Broken' After Another Setback
Adrianne Haslet is struck by a car, has surgery
- She lost a leg in the Boston Marathon bombing, only to return to run the race again , as well as to dance . Now Adrianne Haslet has suffered another blow. She was hit by a car Saturday evening in Boston and already has undergone surgery, reports TMZ . "Struck by a...
Boston Bomber Appeals: Nix
Conviction, Death Sentence
Dec 28, 2018 6:11 AM CST
Boston Bomber Appeals: Nix Conviction, Death Sentence
Dzhokhar Tsarnaev's lawyers say he should never have been tried in Boston
- Dzhokhar Tsarnaev's attorneys don't deny their client was behind the "heinous" 2013 Boston Marathon bombing, along with his late brother, Tamerlan Tsarnaev. But they're now appealing the 25-year-old's conviction and death sentence, arguing that publicity before the trial in Boston was so prevalent and "...
Tsarnaev Tried to Make a Deal
in Order to Save His Life
Nov 22, 2018 1:33 AM CST
Tsarnaev Tried to Make a Deal in Order to Save His Life
Boston Marathon bomber promised 'certain kinds of cooperation'
- Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev tried to make a deal to save his life but prosecutors turned him down, according to newly unsealed court documents. The documents state that in the course of plea negotiations, Tsarnaev "offered to provide certain kinds of cooperation and assistance" and a guilty plea...
Boston Globe Columnist
Suspended for Fabrications
Jun 17, 2018 3:00 PM CDT
Boston Globe Columnist Suspended for Fabrications
The Boston Globe has suspended columnist Kevin Cullen without pay for three months
has suspended columnist Kevin Cullen without pay for three months after inconsistencies were found in his remarks following the 2013 Boston Marathon bombing . Per the AP , newspaper publisher John Henry and editor Brian McGrory announced Friday an independent review found Cullen likely fabricated some anecdotes he...
Adidas Offends With
Post-Boston Marathon Email
Apr 18, 2017 4:28 PM CDT
Adidas Offends With Post-Boston Marathon Email
The company congratulated people on having 'survived' the marathon
- "Congrats, you survived the Boston Marathon." So reads the subject line of an email sent to marathon participants by Adidas on Tuesday,
reports. This was, for obvious reasons, a poor choice of subject line. And according to the
New York Daily News
, recipients of the email...
Firefighter to Marry
Survivor He Saved
Feb 1, 2017 3:38 PM CST
Firefighter to Marry Marathon Bombing Survivor He Saved
Roseann Sdoia and Mike Materia plan to wed in the fall
- Roseann Sdoia was a spectator near the finish line of the Boston Marathon in 2013 when the bombs went off. Firefighter Mike Materia was the first responder who came to her aid—and four years later, they're getting married, the
New York Post
reports. Sdoia's mom actually tried...
Jan 13, 2017 8:16 AM CST
Is 'Thoughtful' Yet 'Unnecessary'
It 'gets the job done' for the most part
- Less than four years after the real-life event, director Peter Berg has brought us Hollywood's version of the Boston Marathon bombing with
, centering on a fictional Boston police sergeant (Mark Wahlberg) whose experiences are based on the real ones of several people. Here's what critics are...
Jul 1, 2016 1:03 PM CDT
Al-Qaeda: 'Gravest Consequences' if US Executes Tsarnaev
Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was sentenced to death last year
- The leader of al-Qaeda is threatening the US with the "gravest consequences" if Boston bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is executed, the
reports. "If the US administration kills our brother the hero Dzhokhar Tsarnaev or any Muslim, [it] will bring America's nationals the gravest consequences," Ayman al-Zawahri...
Brussels Was US Teen's 3rd Terrorist Attack
Mar 22, 2016 9:05 PM CDT
Brussels Was US Teen's 3rd Terrorist Attack
Mason Wells, 19, suffered shrapnel wounds and burns
- Mason Wells, at only 19 years old, has already survived enough terrorist attacks for a lifetime. "This is his third terrorist attack," his father, Chad Wells, tells ABC News . "We live in a dangerous world and not everyone is kind and loving." Mason was one of...
Tied to Crash That
Killed Survivor of
Mar 9, 2016 9:31 AM CST
Booze, Speed Tied to Crash That Killed Survivor of Boston Bombing
Just hours after a rider in the ill-fated Ferrari promised no speeding in Dubai
- "Just landed into Dubai picked up the Ferrari! Don't worry I won't speed ;)" was Cody Nixon's final Instagram post , showing the Canadian boxer standing next to said yellow Ferrari just hours before the crash early Sunday that killed him and three others , including Boston Marathon...
Dies in Car Accident
Mar 7, 2016 12:19 PM CST
Boston Marathon Bombing Survivor Dies in Car Accident
Victoria McGrath, fellow student killed in Dubai
- Victoria McGrath was 20 years old when she was pictured in an iconic photo, being carried to safety by a firefighter after a bomb went off just 5 feet from where she was standing at the finish line of the 2013 Boston Marathon. Less than three years later, the survivor...
Woman Who Lost Leg
in Marathon Bombing
Will Run This Year
Jan 27, 2016 10:58 AM CST
Woman Who Lost Leg in Marathon Bombing Will Run This Year
Adrianne Haslet-Davis is training for April 18 race
- Adrianne Haslet-Davis, who lost most of her left leg in the Boston Marathon bombing, will run the marathon this year. Haslet-Davis, who announced her plans Tuesday, tells Boston.com she wanted to make sure she was ready "both physically and mentally"—she was not a runner when she...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
A Model Died After an LA Party. Now Her Friend Is Brain-Dead
China, or Disney, Did a Number on Homer
Jack Dorsey: Yes, I'm Leaving Twitter
Calls to Resign for Young Lawmaker After 2 Arrests
He Escaped Execution in 2018. 3 Years Later, He's Dead
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.