Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Her Fake Feel-Good Story
Just Went Even More South
Jan 7, 2023 11:30 AM CST
Her Fake Feel-Good Story Just Went Even More South
Katelyn McClure gets 3 more years in jail in case involving fake $400K fundraiser for homeless man
- A New Jersey woman who pleaded guilty to helping her boyfriend spread a feel-good story about a homeless veteran that garnered more than $400,000 in online donations has been sentenced to three years in prison on state theft charges. Burlington County prosecutors say Katelyn McClure, 32, wasn't present...
Jan 3, 2023 6:31 AM CST
Bills Player's Charity Flooded by Fans
Donations for Damar Hamlin's Chasing M's Foundation toy drive reach over $3.2M
- The charity of Buffalo Bills safety Damar Hamlin has received more than $3.2 million in donations following his on-field collapse Monday. Hamlin had created a GoFundMe campaign , seeking $2,500 for the Chasing M's Foundation's third annual toy drive, to benefit Kelly and Nina's Daycare Center...
Sentenced to a Year in Prison
Jul 22, 2022 3:01 AM CDT
GoFundMe Scammer Sentenced to a Year in Prison
Katelyn McClure could get more time on state charges
: New Jersey woman Katelyn McClure has been sentenced to a year in federal prison for her role in a 2017 GoFundMe scam. McClure, who pleaded guilty to wire fraud, was also ordered to pay $400,000 in restitution, the Department of Justice says. The 32-year-old could face more prison...
Strangers Shower Loyal
Burger King Worker With $270K
Jun 30, 2022 7:10 PM CDT
Strangers Shower Loyal Burger King Worker With $270K
Kevin Ford hasn't missed a scheduled shift with HMSHost in 27 years
- A fast-food worker who never missed a single day of work over a 27-year career has just been awarded a $270,000 bonus—all thanks to the kindness of strangers. Kevin Ford, 54, made a splash on social media last month when he shared a video of himself unwrapping the...
Cops: Video Doesn't
Show Boy, 6, Being
Jun 11, 2022 9:45 AM CDT
Cops: Video Doesn't Show Boy, 6, Being Intentionally Burned
Family of Dominick Krankall, 6, who suffered serious burns to face, had claimed bully attacked him
Police in Bridgeport, Conn., have examined footage to see what they could find out about a 6-year-old who was seriously burned in late April—and their assessment is that there's no evidence from that footage that Dominick Krankall was deliberately attacked, per NBC News . Authorities are said to...
GoFundMe Sets Up
Hub to Keep Scammers
From Uvalde Tragedy
May 25, 2022 9:40 AM CDT
GoFundMe Sets Up Hub to Keep Scammers From Uvalde Tragedy
Crowdfunding platform has verified fundraisers; blood donations, legal services also needed for Texas victims
- Wanting to help victims and their families after a tragic event is a natural impulse, but avoiding scammers is key to making sure your money gets into the right hands. After Tuesday's mass shooting at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas, in which 19 children and two adults were...
Campaign That Raised
Millions for 'Freedom Convoy'
Feb 3, 2022 12:55 AM CST
GoFundMe Suspends Campaign That Raised Millions for 'Freedom Convoy'
Crowdfunding campaign is under review
- A GoFundMe campaign benefiting the "Freedom Convoy" of truckers protesting COVID-19 health measures in Canada raised more than $10 million CAD before it was suspended by the crowdfunding site. "This fundraiser is currently paused and under review to ensure it complies with our terms of service and applicable...
Widow of Marine Killed
in Kabul Has Baby Girl
Sep 16, 2021 8:41 AM CDT
Widow of Marine Killed in Kabul Has Baby Girl
2 fundraisers have brought in more than $900K after death of Rylee McCollum
The widow of one of the Marines killed in last month's suicide bombing at the Kabul airport has given birth to a baby girl. Jiennah Crayton, widow of 20-year-old Rylee McCollum. gave birth to Levi Rylee Rose McCollum Monday at Naval Hospital Camp Pendleton in Oceanside, Calif., per...
Mom on Brink of Eviction
Raised $200K. Now, a Twist
in case you missed it
Aug 14, 2021 6:30 AM CDT
Mom on Brink of Eviction Raised $200K. Now, a Twist
Dasha Kelly admits she's not biological mom of 3 girls shown with her
- A Nevada mom with three young girls touched people around the nation after CNN profiled her plight about being on the verge of eviction—so much so that a GoFundMe she set up raised nearly $200,000 as of Wednesday. There's now been somewhat of a twist in Dasha...
Relief for Mom Who
Sold Blood Plasma
to Feed Her Kids
Aug 4, 2021 11:10 AM CDT
Relief for Mom Who Sold Blood Plasma to Feed Her Kids
Las Vegas mother Dasha Kelly, on verge of eviction, receives $200K through GoFundMe
- The CDC on Tuesday issued a new "targeted" moratorium through Oct. 3 that will keep people from being evicted in areas of the country with "substantial and high levels of community transmission" of COVID. This pause came days after an old one had expired, leaving millions vulnerable to...
Singer to Pay for Funerals
of 3 Young Country Fans
Jul 23, 2021 11:40 AM CDT
Singer to Pay for Funerals of 3 Young Country Fans
Luke Combs makes the gesture after carbon monoxide is blamed in deaths of 3 men
- Country star Luke Combs, one of the headliners of the Faster Horses Festival, is paying for three fans’ funerals. Three men were found dead in a camping trailer at the Michigan country music festival last weekend, and two more were found in the trailer alive but suffering from carbon monoxide...
There Was a Problem With
Tale of K-9 Shot by Suspect
Apr 6, 2021 5:51 PM CDT
There Was a Problem With Tale of K-9 Shot by Suspect
Thurston County Sheriff K-9 Arlo was wounded by friendly fire, investigation finds
- For weeks, in a wake of attention promoted by law enforcement, residents of Washington state followed the story of a sheriff's department K-9 that the media reported had been shot by a suspect during a high-speed chase. A GoFundMe page set up by the Thurston County Deputy Sheriff's...
Another Big Move
Mar 24, 2021 9:07 AM CDT
Chinese Grandma Who Fought Attacker Makes Another Big Move
Xiao Zhen Xie to donate nearly $1M from GoFundMe to combat anti-Asian racism
- An elderly Chinese woman who captured the nation's attention when she fought back against an attacker is drawing headlines once again. When Xiao Zhen Xie, said to be 75 or 76, was punched by a man last week as she waited to cross a San Francisco street, the grandmother...
Son of Spa
Victim: 'I Have
No Time to
Mar 22, 2021 11:18 AM CDT
Son of Spa Victim: 'I Have No Time to Grieve'
GoFundMe for Hyun Jung Grant's kids raises $2.7M after older son writes of the issues they face
- Hyun Jung Grant, 51, was one of the eight victims in last Tuesday's spa shootings in the Atlanta area. She left behind two sons, 19-year-old Eric Park and 23-year-old Randy Park, and the latter spoke to NBC News last week about the tough life she led and how hard...
Kylie Jenner's Plea for Pal's
GoFundMe Doesn't Go Over Well
Mar 22, 2021 7:28 AM CDT
Kylie Jenner's Plea for Pal's GoFundMe Doesn't Go Over Well
People wonder why someone worth $900M asking people not worth $900M to help makeup artist
- Remember when it was determined that Kylie Jenner's worth was somewhere close to $900 million ? The internet does, which is why the 23-year-old media personality is now catching heat for a public plea she made on behalf of a friend. Per
, Jenner posted an Instagram story...
Woman Sues Over Public
Flap at Starbucks
Mar 5, 2021 1:30 PM CST
Woman Sues Over Public Flap at Starbucks
Barista refused her service over mask, and someone made a GoFundMe for him
- Sometimes, public disputes over masks on social media flame out quickly. And sometimes, as in this case, they just keep escalating. In the latest development, a San Diego woman who got into a dispute with a Starbucks barista about wearing a mask is suing the creator of a GoFundMe campaign...
Her 10-Year-Old Was Pulled
Out to Sea. Kevin Saved the Day
Nov 2, 2020 11:53 AM CST
Her 10-Year-Old Was Pulled Out to Sea. Kevin Saved the Day
Texas mom raises nearly $25K for wedding of man who rescued her daughter from riptide in Calif.
- Kevin Cozzi was in the right place at the right time—and a Texas mom now wants to reward him for it. Per KXXV and KFSN , Samantha Whiting was at a beach in Monterey, Calif., on Aug. 15 with her children on their last day of vacation when she saw...
Missing Hiker Was Found.
Now It's a Criminal Probe
Oct 31, 2020 3:00 PM CDT
Missing Hiker Was Found. Now It's a Criminal Probe
A Utah sheriff says there are too many discrepancies
- Authorities are investigating whether the 12-day disappearance of a Utah hiker was really on the up and up, the
Salt Lake Tribune
reports. The Washington County Sheriff's Office says its investigation of Holly Courtier, 38, is based on "numerous tips" that "the incident was possibly conceived and...
Everyone Wanted to Help
Cindy. That Was Her Plan
Oct 21, 2020 2:23 PM CDT
Everyone Wanted to Help Cindy. That Was Her Plan
Sarah Treleaven shares a case of GoFundMe fraud
- In 2014, Sarah Treleaven got a Facebook friend request from an old classmate. She accepted—only later to discover that in doing so, she was getting drawn into a scam. But before everything imploded came that initial reconnection with Cindy, a "chronic oversharer" whose humorous feed poked at her...
George Floyd Campaign
Makes History on GoFundMe
Jun 5, 2020 8:52 AM CDT
George Floyd Campaign Makes History on GoFundMe
It counts most individual donations of all time
- It’s a record. In just over a week, the Official George Floyd Memorial Fund has received the highest number of individual donations of any GoFundMe campaign, a spokesperson tells TMZ . To date, $13 million has been raised by some 478,300 individuals in 125 countries. The fund "is...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
China Responds to Balloon Hit, but Its Options Are Limited
Missing Missouri Children Found in Florida Supermarket
Hashtag 'Died Suddenly' Is Up 740% in 2 Months
Watch Fighter Jet Take Down China's Balloon
Women Are Suffering Unnecessarily From Menopause
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.