Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Reformist Leader Sworn in
as Malaysian Prime Minister
Nov 24, 2022 9:57 AM CST
Reformist Leader Sworn in as Malaysian Prime Minister
King issues statement after Anwar Ibrahim's nationalist rival refuses to concede
- Long-time opposition leader Anwar Ibrahim was sworn in as Malaysia's prime minister Thursday in a victory for political reformers locked in a battle with Malay nationalists for days after the divisive general election produced a hung Parliament. Broadcast live on national television, Anwar took his oath of office Thursday...
Emerging Form of Trafficking
Turns People Into Scammers
Oct 16, 2022 5:15 PM CDT
Emerging Form of Trafficking Turns People Into Scammers
Rights group says 700 Malaysians are trapped in Laos right now
- It's a form of human-trafficking with a high-tech twist: Young men and women who respond to a job offer and end up forced into running online love and investment scams. Voice of America zeroes in on one alleged instance of this involving Malaysia and Laos. The Malaysian International Humanitarian...
'Zero to Singapore on This':
Disabled Man Is Hanged
Apr 27, 2022 3:30 AM CDT
'Zero to Singapore on This': Disabled Man Is Hanged
Nagaenthran K. Dharmalingam, 34, had been on death row for over a decade
- Singapore on Wednesday executed a mentally disabled Malaysian man condemned for a drug offense after a court dismissed a last-minute challenge from his mother and international pleas to spare him. Nagaenthran K. Dharmalingam, 34, had been on death row for over a decade after he was convicted of trafficking about...
2 Divers Found Alive
4 Days After Drifting
Away From Boat
Apr 9, 2022 7:30 AM CDT
2 Divers Found Alive 4 Days After Drifting Away From Boat
But it was too late to save a 14-year-old boy
- Two divers were rescued by fishermen on Saturday four days after they disappeared off a southern Malaysian island and drifted some 70 nautical miles, but it was too late to save a 14-year-old boy. Alexia Alexandra Molina, 18, of France and Adrian Peter Chesters, 46, of Britain, were found early...
Thailand Urged Not to Deport
Transgender Beauty Tycoon
Sep 28, 2021 7:12 PM CDT
Thailand Urged Not to Deport Transgender Beauty Tycoon
Nur Sajat is wanted in Malaysia for 'insulting Islam'
- Authorities in Malaysia say they don't want to "punish" transgender businesswoman Nur Sajat, only to "educate" her. Advocates say the 36-year-old is likely to face serious mistreatment if Thailand deports her back to her homeland. Sajat, a cosmetics entrepreneur who starred in a reality show in 2018,...
Because He Was
3 Minutes Late
Sep 1, 2021 9:49 AM CDT
Shot Putter Loses Gold Because He Was 3 Minutes Late
Malaysian athlete's fate causes controversy at Paralympics
- Controversy at the Paralympics Games: Malaysian shot putter Muhammad Ziyad Zolkefli appeared to have won gold in the shot put in the F20 class. But after the victory on Tuesday, he was disqualified because he had shown up three minutes late for the competition. International Paralympic Committee rep Craig Spence...
Cops Use Steamroller to
Crush Bitcoin Mining Rigs
Jul 19, 2021 4:28 PM CDT
Cops Use Steamroller to Crush Bitcoin Mining Rigs
Authorities in Malaysia say miners stole $2M in electricity from power lines
- A crushing defeat for Bitcoin miners in Malaysia: Authorities in the city of Miri used a steamroller to flatten 1,069 Bitcoin mining rigs in the police station's parking lot, CNBC reports. The machines, which solve complex equations to unlock blocks of the cryptocurrency, were used in illegal operations...
Court Rejects Coroner's Verdict
in Teen's Jungle Death
Jun 16, 2021 8:37 AM CDT
Court Rejects Coroner's Verdict in Teen's Jungle Death
Nora Quoirin's parents maintained 15-year-old would not have gone out on own in Malaysia
- A Malaysian high court found Wednesday that a coroner erred in ruling that the death of a French-Irish teenager whose body was found near a jungle resort was likely due to a misadventure that didn't involve other people. High Court Judge Azizul Azmi Adnan agreed with Nora Anne Quoirin'...
Train Collision Injures
More Than 200
May 25, 2021 12:39 AM CDT
Train Collision Injures More Than 200
3 are in critical condition in Malaysia incident
- Two light rail trains collided in a tunnel in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, injuring more than 200 people, in the first major crash for the 23-year-old metro system, the AP reports. Pictures on social media after the Monday night collision showed bloodied passengers, some lying on the floor of the carriage...
Found in Humans Has
May 20, 2021 11:31 AM CDT
New Coronavirus Found in Humans Has Surprising Source
Scientists say this version has jumped from dogs to people—a first
- Most of researchers' attention over the past year has, understandably, focused on COVID, and on SARS-CoV-2, the particular coronavirus that causes it. But when the pandemic initially took hold, one doctor started wondering about what other coronaviruses were out there—and now scientists say that, for the first time, they'...
Judge Dismisses Foul Play
in Teen's High-Profile Death
Jan 4, 2021 8:33 AM CST
Judge Dismisses Foul Play in Teen's High-Profile Death
Court finds no evidence Nora Quoirin, 15, was abducted from resort in Malaysia
- Her disappearance from a Malaysian resort —and the subsequent discovery of her body in the jungle—made international headlines. Now a court in Malaysia has decided not to open a criminal inquiry into the death of 15-year-old Nora Quoirin from London, ruling that she most likely "died by...
Horrors Befall the Women Who
Make Beauty Products Possible
Nov 21, 2020 9:18 AM CST
Horrors Befall the Women Who Make Beauty Products Possible
The AP investigates the palm oil industry
- A 16-year-old girl recalls how her boss raped her amid the tall trees on an Indonesian palm oil plantation that feeds into some of the world’s best-known cosmetic brands. At another plantation, a woman named Ola complains of fevers, coughing, and nose bleeds after years of spraying dangerous pesticides...
Bad News for
in First Trial
Jul 28, 2020 12:01 AM CDT
Bad News for Malaysia's Ex-PM in First Trial
Najib Razak found guilty on all counts
- A Malaysian court pronounced former Prime Minister Najib Razak guilty Tuesday in his first corruption trial over the multibillion-dollar looting of the 1MDB investment fund, the AP reports. The ruling came five months after a new government took power with Najib’s Malay party the biggest bloc in the alliance....
Drug Dealer Hears Death
Sentence Over Zoom
May 20, 2020 8:45 AM CDT
Drug Dealer Hears Death Sentence Over Zoom
Malaysian man sentenced for drug trafficking in Singapore
- A man has been sentenced to death in Singapore over a Zoom call, which is probably not how Zoom CEO Eric Yuan envisioned his product being put to use. Reuters reports it's "one of just two known cases where a capital punishment verdict has been delivered remotely."...
World Faces 'Scary'
Mar 29, 2020 3:10 PM CDT
World Faces 'Scary' Condom Shortage
One of the top manufacturers shut down due to the coronavirus
- With millions homebound during the pandemic, we don't exactly need a condom shortage—and yet it's a real risk, the
reports. That's because Malaysia-based Karex Bhd, the world's biggest condom maker, had to shut its three factories for a week due to a government-imposed lockdown....
Coronavirus Hits Another Palace
Mar 26, 2020 3:58 AM CDT
Coronavirus Hits Another Palace
Malaysia's king, queen under quarantine after palace staffers test positive
- The coronavirus pandemic has touched another royal family : After seven of their palace staff members tested positive for COVID-19, Malaysia's king and queen are under quarantine, the AP reports. The staffers were hospitalized Tuesday, and health authorities are working to figure out the source of the virus transmission. King...
Malaysia Says Goodbye
to Last Sumatran Rhino
Nov 24, 2019 5:30 PM CST
Malaysia Says Goodbye to Last Sumatran Rhino
Iman, 25, had actually died several times
- It's a sad day in Borneo, where Malaysia's last Sumatran rhino has died—meaning the species is gone in its native country, the
reports. The 25-year-old female, Iman, died of cancer in a sanctuary after dying multiple times from blood loss and being revived, per the...
Nora Quoirin's Grandfather:
View on Her Death Is 'Absurd'
Aug 16, 2019 7:09 AM CDT
Nora Quoirin's Grandfather: View on Her Death Is 'Absurd'
He says there is just no way a girl who couldn't button her clothes could have left resort
- The Irish-French parents of a teenager found dead in the Malaysian jungle still don't believe she left her hotel room on her own. An autopsy showed Nora Quoirin, 15, died of internal bleeding likely triggered by stress and starvation roughly a week after she was discovered missing from her...
Stress, Starvation Likely
Killed Teen in Jungle
Aug 15, 2019 7:12 AM CDT
Stress, Starvation Likely Killed Teen in Jungle
Nora Quoirin suffered intestinal damage, internal bleeding
- A London teenager who vanished from a remote resort in Malaysia earlier this month likely died as a result of starvation and stress just over a mile from her family, according to an autopsy. The findings back up a police theory that 15-year-old Nora Quoirin, born with a neurological disorder...
in Jungle Hunt
Is Missing Teen
Aug 13, 2019 9:03 AM CDT
Body Found in Jungle Hunt Is Missing Teen
Nora Quoirin, 15, went missing at Malaysian resort 10 days ago
- The hunt for a missing teenager in remote Malaysia has come to a tragic end. Police have confirmed that a body found in the jungle near the resort where 15-year-old Nora Quoirin went missing 10 days ago is Nora's, reports the BBC . Authorities are working to confirm the cause...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
The 'Iconic' Kirstie Alley Is Dead at 71
Cancer That Kirstie Alley Battled Is Specified
Here's How Things Look Ahead of Georgia's Runoff
Trump Hid a Big Loan While President: Forbes
You Can Keep Procrastinating on That Real ID
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.