Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Perfect Game Bid Ends Painfully
Apr 21, 2023 4:35 PM CDT
Perfect Game Bid Ends Painfully
Cubs' Smyly collides with his catcher on a dribbler in front of the plate
- Drew Smyly lost his bid for a perfect game Friday when he collided with his catcher while trying to field an eighth-inning dribbler, which went for a leadoff infield single, in the Chicago Cubs' 13-0 rout of the Los Angeles Dodgers. With the 32.9mph smash, David Peralta became the...
Conor McGregor's New Title:
'Worst First Pitch' Thrower
Sep 22, 2021 9:15 AM CDT
Conor McGregor's New Title: 'Worst First Pitch' Thrower
MMA fighter's pitch hit barrier some 20 feet right of home plate
- The world's highest-paid athlete can throw a punch with accuracy, but apparently not a baseball. Mixed martial arts fighter Conor McGregor joined the long list of celebrities who've bungled a ceremonial first pitch at an MLB game after he took to the mound Tuesday at Wrigley Field ahead...
Cubs Score on Strangest
Baseball Play in a Long Time
May 28, 2021 9:48 AM CDT
Cubs Score on Strangest Baseball Play in a Long Time
Javier Baez, the 'magician,' earns his nickname with some nifty base-running
- It was a routine ground ball, and yet the Thursday hit resulted in headlines calling it "one of MLB's most memorable gaffes" (
) and "the dumbest baseball play of the season" ( Yahoo Sports ), and even one wondering whether it was "the...
Cubs Star Just Bought
Fans a Lot of Beer
Nov 2, 2020 3:30 AM CST
Cubs Star Just Bought Fans a Lot of Beer
Jon Lester, who is now a free agent, opened tabs at 4 Chicago bars over the weekend
- After the Chicago Cubs declined his $25 million option for next season, Jon Lester became a free agent after being with the team since 2015. His next move? Buy Cubs fans a beer—or more accurately, a lot of beers. "Regardless of what's next I want to thank...
Cubs Game Is Delayed
Over Unexpected Visitor
Sep 17, 2020 11:30 AM CDT
Cubs Game Is Delayed Over Unexpected Visitor
'Just experienced my first drone delay at Wrigley Field,' tweets a broadcaster
- Umpires cleared the field during a game between the Cleveland Indians and Chicago Cubs on Wednesday night when a small drone flew into Wrigley Field over the bleachers and landed on the grass in deep left center, per the AP . As Willson Contreras came to bat with two outs in...
Cubs Player Horrified
After Foul Ball Hits Child
May 30, 2019 6:50 AM CDT
Cubs Player Horrified After Foul Ball Hits Child
Young girl was hospitalized after Astros incident
- Teammates had to console distraught Chicago Cubs center fielder Albert Almora Jr. on Wednesday night after a foul ball hit a little girl in the stands. Almora fell to his knees after he hit a line drive that hit the young fan at the Houston Astros' stadium in the fourth...
Cubs Investigating 'Repulsive'
Gesture Fan Flashed on Air
May 8, 2019 8:06 AM CDT
Cubs Investigating 'Repulsive' Gesture Fan Flashed on Air
Fan appeared to make white power sign behind black commentator Doug Glanville
- A Chicago Cubs fan at the game Tuesday night against the Miami Marlins could be banned from Wrigley Field for life if the home team ever catches up to him. While fans are often caught on camera at MLB games waving and making various gestures, one in particular has raised...
Feb 6, 2019 9:10 AM CST
Cubs Owner Blasted for Controversial Emails on Obama, Islam
Among others sent by Joe Ricketts
- Splinter's "Billionaire's Inbox" offers a look at how "the other half" lives, and its most recent dive is quite the eye-opener. The news outlet got its hands on what the
New York Times
calls "a cache of racist emails" both sent and received by Joe...
Cubs Give Big Gift, and Loathed
Fan Breaks 14-Year Silence
Jul 31, 2017 5:05 PM CDT
Cubs Give Big Gift, and Loathed Fan Breaks 14-Year Silence
Steve Bartman says he'll 'cherish it for generations'
- Some old grudges are being buried now that the Chicago Cubs have broken their World Series curse. The
reports that the franchise gifted Steve Bartman a 2016 World Series ring 14 years after the fan was all but blamed for blowing the team’s 2003 shot at winning...
Cubs Fan Tells
Chris Christie He
Sucks, Christie Reacts
Jul 31, 2017 7:11 AM CDT
Cubs Fan Tells Chris Christie He Sucks, Christie Reacts
NJ governor caught on tape confronting heckler at Cubs-Brewers game
- Chris Christie isn't exactly the most popular New Jerseyan these days. First the Garden State's governor ticked off residents by shutting down state parks over the July 4 weekend before enjoying the beach at one of them himself . Then he got "booed lustily" at a Cardinals-Mets game...
Tragedy at Wrigley as Lifelong
Cubs Fan Falls to His Death
May 18, 2017 9:45 AM CDT
Tragedy at Wrigley as Lifelong Cubs Fan Falls to His Death
Richard E. Garrity, 42, suffered head trauma after falling over a railing
- A man who struck his head after tumbling over a railing at Chicago's Wrigley Field has died, reports the AP . The Cook County medical examiner's office says 42-year-old Richard E. Garrity of Wheaton was pronounced dead Wednesday at Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center. Authorities say Garrity fell over...
Pariah Cubs Fan Not Emerging
Even After World Series Win
Nov 4, 2016 11:41 AM CDT
Pariah Cubs Fan Not Emerging Even After World Series Win
Steve Bartman won't 'crash the parade'
- Chicago has been waiting for him to come out of hiding for more than a decade—but it doesn't look like the man who was blamed for contributing to the Cubs' 2003 National League Championship loss will be out and about anytime soon, even though his team finally won...
Good News for Chicago Kids
About Cubs Parade, Rally
Nov 3, 2016 11:39 PM CDT
Good News for Chicago Kids About Cubs Parade, Rally
They won't have to skip school to attend
- Ecstatic Chicago Cubs fans are expected to amass downtown Friday for a parade and rally to honor the new World Series champions. The celebration of the Cubs' first title in 108 years will kick off when team buses leave Wrigley Field at 10am for an official launch of the parade...
One Cubs Fan
Spent Game 7 in
Nov 3, 2016 6:31 PM CDT
One Cubs Fan Spent Game 7 in Dark Cemetery
Wayne Williams was keeping a promise to his father
- Hours before the Chicago Cubs took the field for the final game of a historic World Series, 68-year-old Wayne Williams Jr. made the 650-mile drive from his home in North Carolina to Indiana to keep a promise to his father, the
News & Observer
reports. "We had a pact,...
The Cubs Were Reeling Late.
Then Came a Pep Talk
Nov 3, 2016 9:00 AM CDT
The Cubs Were Reeling Late. Then Came a Pep Talk
'Jason Heyward led the way'
- It was, as Barry Svrluga of the
writes, "nothing short of one of the most thrilling baseball games ever played." And in the aftermath of the Cubs' World Series victory , players are talking about a late pep talk from quiet outfielder Jason Heyward. He called a...
Cubs Fans Go Wild
as 108-Year Drought Ends
Nov 3, 2016 6:40 AM CDT
Cubs Fans Go Wild as 108-Year Drought Ends
'Next year' has finally arrived
- In Chicago, next year is here. At exactly 11:47pm local time Wednesday night, the Chicago Cubs won the World Series title that had eluded them for 108 years. Fans who packed bars to watch the games on television near Wrigley Field—neither of which existed back in 1908—erupted...
Curse Over: Cubs Win
It All in Game 7
Nov 3, 2016 12:05 AM CDT
Curse Over: Cubs Win It All in Game 7
Beat Cleveland Indians 8-7 in 10th inning
- Mike Montgomery retired Michael Martinez for the final out with a runner on in the 10th inning, and the Chicago Cubs ended baseball's longest championship drought by beating the Cleveland Indians 8-7 in Game 7 of the World Series, the AP reports. The Cubs won their first championship since...
Fans Pay Record-Busting Bucks
for Game 7 of World Series
Nov 2, 2016 12:08 PM CDT
Fans Pay Record-Busting Bucks for Game 7 of World Series
Pair of seats behind Cubs dugout went for $19.5K each
- A World Series win Tuesday night by the Chicago Cubs against the Cleveland Indians has forced a Game 7—and apparently forced someone with a lot of disposable income to open up quite a bit of their wallet. Per MarketWatch , a pair of seats behind the Cubs dugout at Cleveland'...
Cubs Take It to Game 7
Nov 2, 2016 12:05 AM CDT
Cubs Take It to Game 7
They hammer Indians 9-3
- After 108 years, what's one more day? The Chicago Cubs are far from finished—they're frothing. Addison Russell hit a grand slam and tied a World Series record with six RBIs, and Chicago took advantage of a huge early misplay in Cleveland's outfield as the Cubs throttled...
Are Rooting for
Nov 1, 2016 10:21 AM CDT
Celebrities Who Are Rooting for the Cubs
Including Bill Murray with an awesome shirt
- The Chicago Cubs need to beat the Cleveland Indians both Tuesday and Wednesday nights if they want to win the World Series for the first time since 1908—and there are a number of celebrities hoping they do just that. CBS rounds up celebrities who have been spotted rooting for...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Elon Musk Lashes Out at Disney CEO Bob Iger
Deputy Killed in Police Chase of Senator's Son
In Tiny Liechtenstein, a Prince Dies 'Unexpectedly'
She Turned to Podcasters Over Sister's Killing. It Ended Badly
Celebs' Jilted Exes Are Now Dating Each Other
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.