Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Iraq Declares Victory
Over ISIS in Mosul
Jul 9, 2017 8:55 AM CDT
Iraq Declares Victory Over ISIS in Mosul
Largest city under militants' control has fallen to Iraqi troops after heavy fighting
- Iraq's state TV says the country's prime minister has arrived in Mosul to declare victory over the Islamic State in the more than eight-month old operation to drive the militants from the city, reports the AP . "The commander in chief of the armed forces [Prime Minister] Haider...
Dec 27, 2016 11:37 AM CST
Iraqi Journalist Kidnapped Hours After Criticizing Gov't Official
8 gunmen reportedly took her from Baghdad home
- Armed men posing as members of security forces have kidnapped an Iraqi journalist from her home in Baghdad. Afrah Shawqi al-Qaisi, also identified as Afrah Shawqi Hammudi, was seized around 10pm Monday in the Saidiya neighborhood, say security officials. "Eight armed men burst into her house in Saidiya dressed...
Iraq Hangs Dozens
of ISIS Fighters Over
Aug 21, 2016 6:31 AM CDT
Iraq Hangs Dozens of ISIS Fighters Over Gruesome Massacre
36 were convicted in slaughter of hundreds of soldiers in 2014
- Iraq has executed 36 men convicted of taking part in the Islamic State group's massacre of hundreds of soldiers in 2014, according to Iraqi officials. The men were hanged at the Nasiriyah prison in southern Iraq on Sunday, according to provincial Gov. Yahya al-Nasiri. A Justice Ministry official, who...
Jun 26, 2016 5:50 AM CDT
Iraq: Fallujah 'Fully Liberated' From ISIS
City fully under Iraq control after monthlong fight with militants
- A senior Iraqi commander declared that the city of Fallujah was "fully liberated" from Islamic State militants on Sunday, after a more than monthlong military operation. Iraqi troops have entered the northwestern al-Julan neighborhood, the last area of Fallujah to remain under ISIS control, the head of the counterterrorism...
Key Iraqi City
Falls to ISIS
May 17, 2015 2:26 PM CDT
Key Iraqi City Falls to ISIS
Iraqi forces flee hold-out neighborhood in Ramadi
- ISIS militants have seized a key Iraqi city while coalition airstrikes continued raining down around them, officials say. The militants had already taken most of Ramadi, the capital of Anbar province, placing their flag at the city's government headquarters on Friday—but Iraqi special forces still held out in...
ISIS Is Losing
Apr 14, 2015 8:07 AM CDT
Pentagon: ISIS Is Losing Serious Ground
In Iraq, anyway; Syria's a different story
- Iraqi forces have retaken about a quarter of the territory ISIS seized last year, according to an encouraging Pentagon analysis—some 5,000 to 6,500 square miles in the country's north and center, reports
. "[ISIS] is no longer the dominant force in roughly 25% to...
Iraq Army Finds
50K 'Ghost Soldiers'
Dec 1, 2014 7:03 AM CST
Iraq Army Finds 50K 'Ghost Soldiers'
Corrupt officers claimed their salaries, PM says
- Investigators in Iraq have uncovered one of the reasons some military units seemed to melt away in the face of ISIS advances earlier this year: Many of their soldiers didn't exist. Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi told lawmakers yesterday that 50,000 fake names were uncovered on military payrolls when...
Iraqi PM: ISIS Plans
Subway Attack in US
Sep 25, 2014 3:49 PM CDT
Iraqi PM: ISIS Plans Subway Attack in US
American officials downplay threat
- While speaking to reporters at the UN today, Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Ibadi made some news that seemed to catch everybody off guard: He said he had "credible" evidence that ISIS was planning subway attacks in the US and Paris, reports Reuters . US security officials quoted on and off...
Maliki Steps Down in Iraq
Aug 14, 2014 3:19 PM CDT
Maliki Steps Down in Iraq
He gives up fight to remain prime minister
- Nouri al-Maliki finally took the hint: He's giving up his fight to serve a third term as prime minister of Iraq, reports the BBC . State TV says Maliki has agreed to step down in favor of Haider al-Ibadi, even though Maliki had called Ibadi's appointment unconstitutional and raised...
US Sends More Troops to Iraq
Aug 13, 2014 7:57 AM CDT
US Sends More Troops to Iraq
Maliki in talks to step down as France sends weapons to Kurds
- Another 130 Marines and special operations forces have been sent to Iraq to help rescue tens of thousands of Yazidi refugees still trapped on a mountain, but this "is not a combat boots on the ground kind of operation," Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel says. Speaking at California's...
Obama Calls for New
Aug 11, 2014 4:45 PM CDT
Obama Calls for New Iraqi Government
President says he and Joe Biden called al-Maliki's replacement
- President Obama welcomed new leadership in Iraq as "a promising step forward" today amid a political and security crisis in Baghdad, saying the only lasting solution is the formation of an inclusive government. Obama did not mention Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki but clearly was addressing the embattled incumbent as...
Maliki Out? In Snub, Iraq
President Names New PM
Aug 11, 2014 9:23 AM CDT
Maliki Out? In Snub, Iraq President Names New PM
Whether Maliki will go along remains unclear
- The big question in Iraq today: Will Nouri al-Maliki go quietly? As expected, President Fouad Massoum snubbed the two-term prime minister and said he must step down to make way for someone new. Massoum picked deputy parliament speaker Haider al-Ibadi to be the next PM and gave him 30 days...
Popular on Newser
Detroit Radio Anchor Killed, His Family Injured, in Attack
Amended Autopsy Report: McClain Died Due to Ketamine
Elton John's WH Concert Ends With a Big Surprise
He Wanted to Be Taller. Agony, $75K Got Him There
Earth Isn't Ready for What We've Collected on Mars
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.