Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Man Dies After Fall
Into Hawaii Volcano
Jan 4, 2022 7:03 PM CST
Man Dies After Fall Into Hawaii Volcano
75-year-old was in closed-off area, NPS says
- The National Park Service says it is investigating the death of a Hawaii man who apparently fell into an active volcano at Hawaii Volcanoes National Park Sunday night. The NPS said in a statement that relatives reported the man missing from inside the park around 12:15am Monday, Hawaii News...
On Hawaii's Big Island,
a 'Pretty Unreal' Sight
Sep 30, 2021 7:58 AM CDT
On Hawaii's Big Island, a 'Pretty Unreal' Sight
Eruption of Kilauea volcano is in 'full swing,' per USGS
- As an ongoing volcano eruption on the Spanish island of La Palma continues to wreak havoc , the US Geological Survey says another eruption halfway around the world is in "full swing," reports Reuters . Although local media noted that, as of Wednesday night, there was no immediate danger to...
How 2020 Is Coming
to an End: Like This
Dec 21, 2020 6:11 AM CST
How 2020 Is Coming to an End: Like This
Kilauea eruption followed a series of earthquakes on Hawaii's Big Island
- Because 2020 wouldn't be complete without some Americans dealing with an erupting volcano: The US Geological Survey says the Kilauea volcano, which is located on Hawaii’s Big Island, has erupted following a series of earthquakes in the area. The biggest, which was recorded at magnitude 4.4, hit...
Scientists: We Know Why
Kilauea Got Triggered
in case you missed it
Apr 26, 2020 10:23 AM CDT
Scientists: We Know Why Kilauea Got Triggered
Theory suggests heavy rain increased pore pressure, but other scientists are doubtful
- Climate change could usher in more volcanic eruptions, according to new research focusing on the 2018 Kilauea eruptions in Hawaii. The research published Wednesday in
suggests the Kilauea eruptions were triggered by months of extreme rainfall, which included a 24-hour period that set a US record. The idea is...
Soldier Climbs Over
Railing, Falls Into Volcano
May 3, 2019 8:10 AM CDT
Soldier Climbs Over Railing, Falls Into Volcano
32-year-old survived, landing on narrow ledge in Kilauea caldera
- The chief ranger of Hawaii Volcanoes National Park is warning visitors to "never cross safety barriers, especially around dangerous and destabilized cliff edges," after a soldier did just that—and fell into the Kilauea volcano's caldera. The 32-year-old, reportedly on the Big Island for training exercises, had...
Experts See a 'Real Challenge'
as Hawaii's Kilauea Pauses
Dec 5, 2018 12:34 PM CST
Experts See a 'Real Challenge' as Hawaii's Kilauea Pauses
3-month break in surface lava leaves plenty of uncertainty
- Hawaii's Kilauea, given the highest overall threat score of any volcano in the country, appears to be calming down. The volcano that's been erupting almost continuously for 35 years, forcing thousands from their homes this spring and summer, has produced no surface lava on the Big Island, including...
Americans May Not Want
to Live Near the 'Big 18'
Oct 26, 2018 7:20 AM CDT
Americans May Not Want to Live Near the 'Big 18'
USGS puts these US volcanoes in the 'very high threat' category
- Government scientists have classified 18 US volcanoes as "very high threat" because of what's been happening inside them and how close they are to people. The US Geological Survey has updated its volcano threat assessments for the first time since 2005, per the AP , and the danger list...
Hawaii Manhunt Underway
After Cop Killed Near Lava Zone
Jul 20, 2018 12:47 AM CDT
Hawaii Manhunt Underway After Cop Killed Near Lava Zone
Bronson Kaimana Kaliloa first officer to be fatally shot on Big Island
- A suspect wanted in the killing of the first police officer to be fatally shot on Hawaii's Big Island likely remains hidden on the mostly rural eastern side of the vast island, authorities said Thursday. A manhunt has been underway since Justin Waiki allegedly shot and killed Officer Bronson...
Hawaii Has a
Brand New Peninsula
Jul 18, 2018 2:34 PM CDT
Hawaii Has a Brand New Peninsula
Lava flows have added 700 acres of new land in all
- If there's an upside to the ongoing and dangerous eruption of Hawaii's Kilauea volcano, it's perhaps plenty of new land. Lava flowing from fissures on the Big Island has expanded the coastline by some 700 acres, the equivalent of more than 500 football fields, reports CBS News...
'Lava Bomb' Doesn't End
Hawaii Lava Boat Tours
Jul 17, 2018 5:32 PM CDT
'Lava Bomb' Doesn't End Hawaii Lava Boat Tours
They'll continue, but boat operators will stay farther away after explosion injured 23
- Hawaii tour boat operators plan to continue taking visitors to see lava, but will follow the Coast Guard's revised policy and stay farther away after an explosion caused molten rock to barrel through the roof of a vessel, injuring 23 people . The Coast Guard prohibits vessels from getting closer...
Lava Bomb Leaves 23
Injured on Hawaii Tour Boat
Jul 16, 2018 5:10 PM CDT
Lava Bomb Leaves 23 Injured on Hawaii Tour Boat
The smoldering chunk of rock went through the vessel's ceiling, authorities said
- A Hawaii boat tour was cut short when a lava bomb punctured the vessel's roof on Monday morning. The smoldering hunk of rock, presumably from the island's erupting Kilauea volcano, left 23 people injured, per CNN . While a woman in her 20s reportedly suffered a fractured femur and...
Is No More
Jun 8, 2018 10:09 AM CDT
Hawaii's Largest Freshwater Lake Is No More
Evaporated by lava flow, Green Lake may be gone for good
- Kapoho Bay's famous tidal pools, eaten up by lava from Hawaii's Kilauea volcano this week, were apparently only dessert. On Saturday, Hawaii's largest freshwater lake disappeared in hours as lava rushed into it, reports NPR . On its way to the ocean, the lava flow sent a plume...
117 Homes Had
Been Lost to Lava.
Now, Hundreds More
Jun 6, 2018 5:33 AM CDT
117 Homes Had Been Lost to Lava. Now, Hundreds More
'It's not our land,' says one resident of Vacationland
- Lava from Hawaii's Kilauea volcano destroyed hundreds more homes, overtaking two oceanfront communities where residents were advised to evacuate last week, officials said Tuesday. No injuries were reported as most residents had left. The lost homes were in addition to at least 117 others destroyed since lava began spilling...
USGS: Please Don't Roast
Marshmallows Over Kilauea
May 30, 2018 12:12 PM CDT
USGS: Please Don't Roast Marshmallows Over Kilauea
Unless you want to see a 'spectacular reaction,' and not in a good way, USGS warns
- It's officially barbecue season, though one place you shouldn't plan on making s'mores is over the lava-spurting Kilauea volcano on Hawaii's Big Island. It's hard to believe the US Geological Survey should have to say this, but the agency issued just such a warning Monday...
Dangerous 'Vog' in Hawaii
is Creating Stunning Sunsets
May 28, 2018 1:30 PM CDT
Dangerous 'Vog' in Hawaii is Creating Stunning Sunsets
The mix of Kilauea's gases and particles is dangerous but can be beautiful
- Kilauea volcano on Hawaii's Big Island has had it all over the past three weeks: molten rock shooting toward the sky, lava oozing from the ground and ash clouds rising miles into the air. You can also add "vog" to the mix, per the AP . Scientists say higher...
Danger at Hawaii Geothermal
Plant More Real Than Ever
May 27, 2018 5:00 PM CDT
Danger at Hawaii Geothermal Plant More Real Than Ever
Officials fear an explosion could occur should the lava reach the plant's wells
- Lava from the Kilauea volcano reached a geothermal power plant on the Big Island on Sunday, approaching wells that have been capped to protect against the release of toxic gas should they mix with lava, per the AP . The lava breached the property overnight and was within 200 yards of...
Video Shows 'Very Eerie'
Blue Flames in Hawaii
May 24, 2018 1:47 PM CDT
Video Shows 'Very Eerie' Blue Flames in Hawaii
Rare images show blue flames burning from cracks made by erupting volcano
- Scientists in Hawaii have captured rare images of blue flames burning from cracks in the pavement as the Kilauea volcano gushes fountains of lava in the background, offering insight into a new dimension in the volcano's weeks-long eruption. Volcanos produce methane when hot lava buries and burns plants and...
Man Hit by Lava Bomb:
'It's Just Been Amazing'
May 23, 2018 11:27 AM CDT
Man Hit by Lava Bomb: 'It's Just Been Amazing'
Darryl Clinton was defending homes in the neighborhood at the time
- Darryl Clinton seemed confident in his lava-dodging abilities Friday as he showed reporters how to avoid chunks of molten rock spewing from a fissure near homes in the Pahoa area of Hawaii's Big Island. Given the arcing trajectory of the rock, "it's almost like catching a football,...
Toxic Steam Cloud
May 21, 2018 3:58 PM CDT
Toxic Steam Cloud Emerges Over Hawaii Ocean
Residents warned to steer clear
- White plumes of acid and extremely fine shards of glass billowed into the sky over Hawaii as molten rock from Kilauea volcano poured into the ocean, creating yet another hazard from an eruption that began more than two weeks ago: A toxic steam cloud. Authorities on Sunday warned the public...
Volcano Erupts Again,
Sends Ash Plume 30K Feet Up
May 17, 2018 5:27 PM CDT
Volcano Erupts Again, Sends Ash Plume 30K Feet Up
Residents as many as 30 miles away starting to feel the effects
- Hawaii's Kilauea volcano erupted anew early Thursday with little sound and only modest fury, spewing a steely gray plume of ash about 30,000 feet into the sky that began raining down on a nearby town. The explosion at the summit came shortly after 4am following two weeks of...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Sexual Link Investigated in Monkeypox Outbreak
Zelensky Suggests New Talks, on One Condition
Trump Jr. Killed a Bear, and His Guide May Go to Prison
Jif Recalls Peanut Butter
In These 10 Cities, Open Up Your Wallet to Buy a Home
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.