Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Oxford English Dictionary
Oxford Reveals Word of the Year
- Oxford Dictionaries has revealed 2018's Word of the Year, and it's not an uplifting one: "toxic." Oxford says it found a 45% increase in searches for that word on oxforddictionaries.com, and also explained that the word is increasingly being used both literally and figuratively. NPR...
Oxford Dictionary Boasts a New Final Word
'Zyzzyva' has been added, as have 'post-truth,' 'unclick,' and a word describing sperm
- And you thought "covfefe" was hard to pronounce. The Oxford English Dictionary has added more than 1,200 new "words, phrases, and senses" to its tome, per a blog post , and among them is an entry that nabs the spot as the last word in the book. "...
Donald Trump Inspired This Word of the Year
'Post-truth' gets the nod from Oxford Dictionaries
- Oxford Dictionaries has taken inspiration from the US election in choosing its 2016 word of the year: "post-truth." How does "post-truth" relate to Donald Trump? Well, Oxford's own definition of the adjective—use of which spiked 2,000% this year, especially when Trump won the Republican...
Here Are the Latest Additions to Oxford English Dictionary
'Yolo' made the cut
- The latest slang to be added to the Oxford English Dictionary: "yolo," which, as all the youngsters know, stands for "you only live once." The new crop of more than 1,000 words and terms added to the OED also includes "gender-fluid," "yogalates"...
The 'Word of the Year' Isn't a Word
But it does mean something very expressive
- At least it's not an ancient Egyptian pictogram. While this year's Oxford Dictionaries word of the year is not an actual word, it is a popular image: the "face with tears of joy" emoji,
reports. "You can see how traditional alphabet scripts have been struggling...
At Oxford Dictionary, It's Now 'Wine O'Clock'
'Manspreading,' 'butt-dial' also new additions to Oxford's online dictionary
- Manspreading is so widespread it's now a word. The term, coined by commuters, refers to men on public transportation who splay their legs wide and encroach on neighboring seats—and it's now been added to OxfordDictionaries.com . The free online dictionary of current usage, created by the publishers...
Popular on Newser
Trump Cuts 60 Minutes Interview Short, Calls It 'FAKE'
Family, Friends of Woman Killed by Falling Tree Will Get $28M
NYT : Trump Has Previously Undisclosed Chinese Account
Giuliani Appears to Touch Himself in Borat Scene
After 47 Years, Marshals on Trail of Escaped Child Killer
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Get our apps
Install our app
Suggest a Story
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.