Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Nobel Goes to Pair Who Worked on COVID Vaccines
Stories 1 - 20 |
Jul 11, 2023 12:30 AM CDT
Elizabeth Holmes' Sentence Shortened
Her release date has been changed to 2032
- Elizabeth Holmes' prison sentence is now two years shorter than it originally was . Her release date on the Bureau of Prisons website is now projected to be Dec. 12, 2032, about two years earlier than the original projection, the
reports. While no reason was given, the newspaper notes the...
Balks at Paying
Victims $250 a
Jun 14, 2023 2:04 AM CDT
Elizabeth Holmes Balks at Paying Victims $250 a Month Post-Prison
Lawyers say she won't be able to afford it
- Elizabeth Holmes shouldn't be made to pay those victimized by her crimes $250 per month in restitution after she leaves prison, her lawyers argued in a Monday court filing. The disgraced Theranos founder has "limited financial means" and won't be able to afford it, they write, per...
Elizabeth Holmes Will Make
About $6 a Month in Prison
May 30, 2023 1:19 PM CDT
Elizabeth Holmes Will Make About $6 a Month in Prison
And her victims will get half
- Elizabeth Holmes is now in Texas, and she won't be leaving the state for years. The Theranos founder reported to federal prison Tuesday afternoon to begin serving her 11-year, 3-month sentence. Federal law demands she serve at least 85% of that. The 39-year-old will serve her time at Federal...
Elizabeth Holmes Has
Her Prison Start Date
May 18, 2023 8:51 AM CDT
Elizabeth Holmes Has Her Prison Start Date
Convicted Theranos founder must report to the Bureau of Prisons by May 30
- On Tuesday, Elizabeth Holmes' bid to remain free while she appeals her fraud conviction was rebuffed . On Wednesday, the disgraced Theranos founder received the reporting date to begin her 11-year sentence: May 30, per Judge Edward Davila, who also presided over her trial. CNN Business reports that Davila agreed to...
Elizabeth Holmes Gets
Bad News From Judge
May 17, 2023 12:00 AM CDT
Elizabeth Holmes Gets Bad News From Judge
Her bid to remain free while her appeal plays out is rejected
- Disgraced Theranos founder Elizabeth Holmes has once again lost her bid to stay out of prison while she appeals her fraud conviction tied to a blood-testing hoax that bilked investors. In a one-page ruling, the US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit ruled Tuesday that Holmes' appeal did not...
Yes, That Elizabeth Holmes
Voice Was Fake
May 7, 2023 7:25 AM CDT
Yes, That Elizabeth Holmes Voice Was Fake
Amy Chozick spends time with the disgraced tech mogul for 'New York Times' profile
- Elizabeth Holmes, the disgraced health-tech mogul now facing 11 years in prison, has not spoken with the media since 2016. But she gave Amy Chozick unprecedented access for a profile that appears in the
New York Times
. Chozick writes that she is surprised at how utterly "normal" the 39-year-old...
Apr 20, 2023 1:30 AM CDT
Elizabeth Holmes Appeals 'Unjust' Conviction, Sentence
Lawyers say that, at minimum, 11-year sentence should be reduced
- Elizabeth Holmes' lawyers say that while prosecutors "parroted the public narrative" while making their case against the Theranos founder, "the reality differed significantly from that narrative." Her attorneys on Monday filed an appeal of her fraud conviction as well as a request for a reduction of her...
Elizabeth Holmes Gets
One Step Closer to Prison
Apr 11, 2023 7:47 AM CDT
Elizabeth Holmes Gets One Step Closer to Prison
Judge denies request to remain free during appeal; ruling from appeals court is still to come
- A US judge has denied Elizabeth Holmes' request to remain free while she appeals her wire fraud conviction. The Theranos founder, who recently gave birth , is to begin serving an 11-year sentence in roughly two weeks. Convicted in January 2022, she argued she should remain out of prison while her...
Lawsuit: Elizabeth Holmes
Owes Theranos Big Bucks
Mar 20, 2023 7:47 AM CDT
Lawsuit: Elizabeth Holmes Owes Theranos Big Bucks
Breach of contract lawsuit filed against ex-CEO says she owes $25M in promissory notes
- As Elizabeth Holmes continues to try to delay the beginning of her 11-year prison sentence, new trouble has popped up, this one financial. The
reports that a breach of contract lawsuit against the former Theranos CEO filed in December emerged Friday during Holmes' latest court appearance in California, claiming...
Has a Newborn
Feb 28, 2023 7:29 PM CST
Elizabeth Holmes Has a Newborn
She's due to report to prison April 27, but lawyers are seeking a delay
- Elizabeth Holmes has become a mother for the second time, months before she is due to report to a federal prison to start serving a sentence of more than 11 years. It's not clear exactly when the Theranos founder, who was visibly pregnant during her sentencing hearing in November,...
Defense Denies Holmes Tried
to Flee US After Conviction
Jan 23, 2023 5:00 PM CST
Defense Denies Holmes Tried to Flee US After Conviction
A trip to Mexico for a wedding was dropped once she was found guilty, lawyers say
- Lawyers for Elizabeth Holmes ripped prosecutors Monday for accusing the Theranos founder of trying to flee the country. Her partner did book a trip to Mexico for the two to attend a wedding, the defense filing says, but that was before Holmes was convicted of felony fraud, the
Sunny Balwani's Sentence Is
Longer Than Elizabeth Holmes'
Dec 7, 2022 4:45 PM CST
Sunny Balwani's Sentence Is Longer Than Elizabeth Holmes'
Ex-Theranos president and COO was convicted of 12 fraud, conspiracy counts in July
- US District Judge Edward Davila has decided Ramesh "Sunny" Balwani should be punished more severely than his former lover and Theranos business partner Elizabeth Holmes. Balwani was sentenced to 155 months in federal prison Wednesday, just short of 13 years. Balwani was convicted of 12 fraud and conspiracy counts...
Judge Gives Elizabeth Holmes
11 Years for Theranos Fraud
Nov 18, 2022 4:56 PM CST
Judge Gives Elizabeth Holmes 11 Years for Theranos Fraud
Company founder has to report for prison in April
- A federal judge on Friday handed disgraced biotech exec Elizabeth Holmes a prison sentence of more than 11 years for defrauding her investors. Prosecutors had sought a sentence of 15 years after the 38-year-old was convicted earlier this year of misleading investors in her now-defunct Theranos blood-testing company. She had...
Want 15 Years
Nov 13, 2022 10:55 AM CST
Prosecutors Want 15 Years for Holmes
Filing calls for $800M in restitution, while defense argues against prison term
- Lawyers for Elizabeth Holmes, who was convicted in January of investor fraud and conspiracy, have argued that the Theranos founder shouldn't receive a prison term when she's sentenced for her crimes Friday in San Jose. In their court filing, federal prosecutors made clear that they couldn't disagree...
Lab Director's Visit Is No
Game-Changer for Holmes
Nov 8, 2022 11:35 AM CST
Lab Director's Visit Is No Game-Changer for Holmes
Judge denies Theranos founder's request for new trial
- Elizabeth Holmes will be sentenced Nov. 18 after a federal judge on Monday denied her request for a new trial. US District Judge Edward Davila found that the Theranos founder's motions for a new trial did not contain material new evidence or establish government misconduct. Davila postponed Holmes' original...
Is Pregnant Again
Oct 17, 2022 3:10 PM CDT
Witness' Unexpected Line: Elizabeth Holmes Is Pregnant Again
Former Theranos exec says so in court during hearing
- Prosecution witness and former Theranos lab director Adam Rosendorff stood by his earlier testimony during a court appearance in Elizabeth Holmes' fraud trial on Monday. Rosendorff's statements could pave the way for Holmes' sentencing in the case, which was postponed after Rosendorff sought to speak with Holmes following the...
Disgraced Theranos Exec
Sunny Balwani Convicted
Jul 7, 2022 2:17 PM CDT
Disgraced Theranos Exec Sunny Balwani Convicted
Jury convicts Elizabeth Holmes' former partner of defrauding investors, patients
- Another conviction in the Theranos scandal : A jury on Thursday convicted former executive Ramesh “Sunny” Balwani of collaborating with CEO Elizabeth Holmes in a massive fraud involving the blood-testing company that once enthralled Silicon Valley. The 12 jurors found Balwani guilty on all 12 felony counts of defrauding both...
Sunny Balwani's Trial Could
Be Key for Elizabeth Holmes
Mar 9, 2022 9:40 AM CST
Sunny Balwani's Trial Could Be Key for Elizabeth Holmes
If he is found guilty, she could potentially use that when arguing for a lighter sentence
- Elizabeth Holmes was found guilty in January of defrauding Theranos investors. Now begins the process of determining whether Theranos' former president and COO is guilty of similar crimes. Jury selection starts Wednesday in the trial of Ramesh "Sunny" Balwani, who also had a years-long romantic relationship with Holmes, who...
Sentencing Date Set
for Elizabeth Holmes
Jan 13, 2022 5:09 AM CST
Sentencing Date Set for Elizabeth Holmes
Theranos founder will remain free on $500K bond until Sept. 26 sentencing
- Theranos founder and convicted fraudster Elizabeth Holmes will learn her fate on Sept. 26, according to an order filed by US District Judge Edward J. Davila on Wednesday. Holmes, who turns 38 next month, could face up to 20 years on each of the four fraud charges she was convicted...
It Could Be Years Before
Holmes Goes to Prison
Jan 10, 2022 12:33 PM CST
It Could Be Years Before Holmes Goes to Prison
Appeals process likely to be long, complicated
- After a long, complicated trial for Theranos founder Elizabeth Holmes, the jury delivered a complicated verdict , which could make the appeals process tricky for her lawyers. The jury found Holmes guilty on four fraud counts, not guilty on four others, and they were deadlocked on three more. Lawyers tell the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Law Would Jail Parents Whose Children Aren't Vaccinated
Incurable Disease Plaguing Young Stone Cutters
Congressman Pulled Fire Alarm Amid Capitol Hill Scramble
Costco's Newest Product Keeps Selling Out in Just 'Hours'
A New Look at the Killing of the 'Face of Red Power'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.