Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
California Lawmakers Defend Being in Maui Right Now
They say event at luxury hotel is to discuss how to 'safely reopen our society'
- California lawmakers are defending their presence at a Hawaiian conference on "intelligent public policy" regarding COVID-19, but it appears they defied their home state's warnings to go. Four Republicans who attended the bipartisan event—state Sen. Andreas Borgeas and Assembly members Jordan Cunningham, Heath Flora, and Frank Bigelow—...
Europe Welcomes Back Tourists, but Not Americans
People from US banned for at least another 2 weeks because of coronavirus
- The European Union wants the world's tourists to know it will be back open for business on Wednesday, but only if they hail from 15 countries. And the US is not one of them. The EU on Tuesday listed the nations whose residents are welcome when the borders reopen:...
Looking to Get a New Passport? Forget About It for Now
Unless you have 'life-or-death emergency' or are renewing, State Dept. says passports are on hold
- The State Department wasn't kidding when it put out its "level four" travel advisory last month urging Americans not to go abroad amid the coronavirus pandemic. CNN reports that on Friday, the department put up a "passport operations" update on its website , and the upshot of that...
TSA Guard Hands Traveler a Note That's Not Very Nice
Neal Strassner says he still doesn't understand why she did it
- TSA workers don't usually hand people notes, and this could be why. Neal Strassner was going through security at a New York airport in June when a screener handed him a note reading, "You ugly!!!" CCTV footage he later obtained via a Freedom of Information Act request...
Big Break for Saudi Women: Now They Can Leave
Male guardians no longer have authority over women's passports
- Saudi women 21 and above hoping to leave the country no longer need a man's help. Saudi Arabia continued its loosening of restrictions on women on Thursday with passage of an amendment that, once it goes into effect at the end of August, will allow all Saudi women to...
How to See the World for Free (or Almost Free)
Couch surfing, home exchanges, and housesitting are some novel options
- Credit card rewards can be your ticket—literally your plane ticket—to a dream destination. But even if you've earned what you need to get to where you're going, the accommodations could be a different story. What do you do if you don't have enough points or...
If You Fly United, There's Now a New Way to Board
United will cut 5 boarding lines to 2, redistribute boarding groups to ease gate congestion
- The "angst" travelers feel at overcrowded gates may soon be eased at United Airlines terminals, an exec for the airline says. That's because United just began a new initiative designed to relieve that particular "passenger pain point," as CNBC puts it, by changing up its departure...
Airline Contest: Hole Up in Iceland, Travel, Get Paid
You'll have to win Wow Air's contest, though, and do quite a bit of content creation
- If you have a BFF and no big summer plans, an Icelandic airline is making a tempting offer. Per
, Wow Air will set up one lucky duo in a fully furnished apartment in downtown Reykjavik, which will serve as home base from June 1 to Aug. 15, with...
The World's Greatest Hitchhiker and His 'Wandering Princess'
Juan Villarino and Laura Lazzarino wander the world together on $7 a day
- It takes more than a durable thumb and the stomach for strangers to be a top-notch vagabond. Take it from Juan Villarino, dubbed the "world's best hitchhiker" by Wes Enzinna for the
New York Times
, which profiles Villarino and picks his brain for how he's become the...
EPA Chief Says He Flies First-Class for Security
Scott Pruitt blames 'toxic' political environment
- Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Scott Pruitt says he needs to fly first-class because of a toxic environment—the political one. He says he wasn't involved in the decision to put him in first class when he travels, which he says was made after some unpleasant interactions with travelers opposed...
US: 5 Mexican States Now as Dangerous as Syria for Visitors
State Department issues new 'do not travel' warning
- The US State Department tells citizens not to visit Yemen, Syria, and Afghanistan. Five states in Mexico now carry the same "do not travel" warning, the
reports. The State Department this week issued a level 4 advisory—the highest level of travel warning—against the states of Tamaulipas,...
5 Places You Shouldn't Visit in 2018
Maybe hold off on that Taj Mahal trip till 2019
- At the beginning of each calendar year, travel companies and publications often push out lists of places around the world you should try to explore in the coming months. Fodor's takes a different tack with its "No List," detailing the locations it thinks you should avoid in...
Traveling by Plane Was Mind-Bogglingly Safe in 2017
Zero commercial jets crashed
- Two separate reports reveal a big find for 2017: zero crashes of commercial passenger jets anywhere in the world, report the BBC and Reuters . The reports come courtesy of the To70 Dutch consultancy group and the Aviation Safety Network , with the latter proclaiming 2017 "the safest year ever, both...
Tourists: TripAdvisor Scrubbed Our Warnings About Mexico
Several accounts of rape at resorts were deleted: 'MJS'
- More than a dozen travelers who sought to warn others about injuries, assaults, and tainted alcohol at Mexican resorts accuse TripAdvisor of "censoring" them. Continuing its investigations into incidents at Mexican resorts , the
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
notes travelers across the US say TripAdvisor silenced them when they used the...
New Security Measures Introduced for All US-Bound Passengers
American citizens, airlines aren't exempt
- All incoming flights to the United States will be subject to new security screening procedures before takeoff, with both American citizens and foreigners possibly facing security interviews from airline employees, the US government said Wednesday. Both American air carriers and global airlines must comply, affecting all the 2,100 flights...
No. 2 Must-See City in the World? Detroit
Lonely Planet offers up its annual top 10
- Lonely Planet's list of the top travel destinations for 2018 includes destinations that "stray from the usual European and Asian capitals," the
Los Angeles Times
reports. One inclusion in particular that may surprise some? Detroit is listed as the No. 2 city to visit next year. As...
Indiana Couple Sets Cracker Barrel Record
Ray and Wilma Yoder have visited every location in the US
- Ray and Wilma Yoder's visit Monday to a new Cracker Barrel restaurant in Tualatin, Ore., was a special one. For one thing, they were greeted with applause and flowers. That's because the Cracker Barrel visit marked not only Ray's 81st birthday, but the couple's completion of...
This Is the Coolest Small Town in America
Bruce Springsteen made Asbury Park, NJ, famous
- Not a big fan of crowds? You might want to check out one of Budget Travel's "coolest" small towns this summer. With suggestions from readers, the site has created a list of small towns that shine through their "cultural and ethnic diversity," beaches, cuisine, "creative...
The Vacation Nation You'll Want Tickets For
Spain tops World Economic Forum's list of top countries for tourists
- "Siestas before sangrias" is all we need to hear to get us to visit Spain, a perk noted by
Travel + Leisure
, but that's not the only reason it's at the top of the World Economic Forum's 2017 ranking of the best countries for tourism and...
How to Make $11K Off Delta in a Weekend
Family got bumped repeatedly, had to give up a weekend in Florida
- Laura Begley Bloom wasn't the type to sacrifice herself on an overbooked flight. The travel editor "scoffed" at people who traded their seats for cash from the airline. "Not my thing," she writes at Forbes . But then a weekend trip to Florida went awry—and Bloom...
Popular on Newser
6th Grader in Zoom Class Takes His Own Life
Trump Posts 'Most Important Speech I've Ever Made'
Bill Barr May Be Out Sooner Than the Inauguration
Yet Another Elected Official Flouts His Own Guidelines
3rd Mysterious Metal Monolith Appears
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Get our apps
Install our app
Suggest a Story
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.