Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Prison Official Goes Missing
While Bringing Inmate to Court
Apr 30, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
Prison Official Goes Missing While Bringing Inmate to Court
Search is on for Vicki White, who was escorting prisoner held on capital murder charges
- A prison official from Alabama is missing after escorting an inmate to a courthouse for a hearing. The Lauderdale County Sheriff's Office said in a Facebook post Saturday that Assistant Director of Corrections Vicki White disappeared while escorting an inmate being held on capital murder charges, per the AP...
State Adopts Alerts
for Missing Indigenous People
Mar 31, 2022 4:20 PM CDT
State Adopts Alerts for Missing Indigenous People
Washington's system, the nation's first, is similar to Amber Alerts
- Washington Gov. Jay Inslee on Thursday signed into law a bill that creates a first-in-the-nation statewide alert system for missing Indigenous people. The law creates a system similar to Amber Alerts and so-called silver alerts, which are used respectively for missing children and vulnerable adults in many states. The system...
He Was Chopping Down Trees.
He Heard Weak Cries for Help
Mar 18, 2022 6:21 AM CDT
He Was Chopping Down Trees. He Heard Weak Cries for Help
2 young brothers, ages 6 and 8, who'd been missing for nearly 4 weeks found in Amazon rainforest
- For almost a month, locals in Brazil's Amazonas state desperately scoured the rainforest in search of two young Indigenous brothers who'd vanished while trying to capture tiny birds. This week, a miracle: The BBC reports that a man from the village of Palmeira stumbled upon little Gleison Ferreira,...
Prosecutor: Sherri Papini
Screamed 'No' at FBI Agent
Mar 9, 2022 12:12 PM CST
Prosecutor: Sherri Papini Screamed 'No' at FBI Agent
Details of 39-year-old's arrest discussed in court hearing
- Sherri Papini was released on a $120,000 bond Tuesday, but
notes that's far from the most interesting detail to come out of the federal court hearing. Papini, who claimed to have been kidnapped and held for three weeks in 2016 but is accused of actually having...
Illustrates the Scale
of Mexico's Missing
Mar 5, 2022 1:50 PM CST
'Extermination Site' Illustrates the Scale of Mexico's Missing
Progress is slow, and justice is nowhere in sight for families of the nearly 100K who have disappeared
- The human foot—burned, but with some fabric still attached—was the tipoff for investigators. Until recently, this squat, ruined house in Nuevo Laredo was a place where the remains of some of Mexico’s missing multitudes were torn apart and incinerated. At the site—to which AP was given...
Reward Grows to $250K
for Missing 4-Year-Old
Feb 21, 2022 9:35 AM CST
Reward Grows to $250K for Missing 4-Year-Old
Lina Khil was last seen on a San Antonio playground on Dec. 20
The search for a young girl who went missing from a Texas playground in December goes on. KSAT reports the reward in the case has been increased to $250,000, thanks to offerings from the local Crime Stoppers and the Islamic Center of San Antonio. Lina, who turned 4...
They Thought It Was a Drill.
Then, 'People Were Running'
Feb 19, 2022 11:00 AM CST
They Thought It Was a Drill. Then, 'People Were Running'
Rescue is on for 12 missing after ferry catches fire off coast of Greece
- Rescue teams in Greece searched a burning ferry Saturday for 12 people believed to be missing after it caught fire in the Ionian Sea while en route to Italy, while passengers described a frightening evacuation from the ship. After working all night to try to extinguish the blaze that broke...
Anti-Vax Dad Has Been
Hiding Girl, 7, for Months
Jan 13, 2022 10:35 AM CST
Anti-Vax Dad Has Been Hiding Girl, 7, for Months
Canada's Michael Jackson defying court orders in effort to 'protect' daughter from vaccine
- A Canadian woman says she hasn't seen her 7-year-old daughter in two months since the girl's father took her away to prevent her receiving a COVID-19 vaccination, despite two court orders mandating her return. Mariecar Jackson of Regina, Sask., is pleading for help in locating her daughter Sarah,...
'Operation Boo Dat' Ends
With Sex-Offender Arrests
Jan 3, 2022 9:10 AM CST
'Operation Boo Dat' Ends With Sex-Offender Arrests
Monthslong effort also tracks down 5 missing teens in Louisiana
- For most of the fall season, the US Marshals Service was hard at work in Louisiana, scoping out the New Orleans area in an annual crime-fighting operation that paid off big time this year. In a report issued in 2021's final days, the agency announced that thanks to "...
After Dumpster Is Searched,
Arrest in Missing Woman Case
Dec 8, 2021 12:25 AM CST
After Dumpster Is Searched, Arrest in Missing Woman Case
Kathleen Moore's body has now been found
The body of missing Florida woman Kathleen Moore was found Tuesday. Moore, whose boyfriend has been charged with her murder, was found under thick brush around 50 yards from his home, the
Tampa Bay Times
reports. Her manner of death has not yet been released, WTSP reports.
In Case of Missing Geologist,
an 11-Mile Discrepancy
Nov 5, 2021 9:08 AM CDT
In Case of Missing Geologist, an 11-Mile Discrepancy
Based on odometer, Daniel Robinson's father thinks his son's SUV crashed elsewhere
- The mystery of what happened to Daniel Robinson deepens, with his father now disputing the most recent developments in the case . Working with collision reconstruction company San Tan Recon, the police department in Buckeye, Ariz., says forensic data from the the 24-year-old geologist's SUV suggests the Jeep Renegade rolled...
Crashed in Ravine.
That Wasn't the End
Nov 4, 2021 11:09 AM CDT
Missing Geologist Crashed in Ravine. That Wasn't the End
Collision report suggests Daniel Robinson may have tried to restart rolled vehicle
The wrecked vehicle of geologist Daniel Robinson, who's been missing in Arizona since June, sped up immediately before it crashed into a desert ravine, the Buckeye Police Department said Wednesday. The acceleration may "indicate an attempt to drive up the other side of the ravine," police...
After 60 Years, 'Unknown Boy'
Who Died in Crash Has a Name
Nov 3, 2021 2:35 PM CDT
After 60 Years, 'Unknown Boy' Who Died in Crash Has a Name
Danny Armantrout was fleeing abusive home in Tennessee
- The short, unhappy life of Danny Armantrout ended when he drowned in an Alabama river after a car crash on March 27, 1961—but the 15-year-old was known only as "Unknown Boy" for the next 60 years. He was finally identified last week with the help of forensic genealogy,...
Woman Vanishes While
Searching for Missing Son
Nov 2, 2021 2:52 PM CDT
Woman Vanishes While Searching for Missing Son
Police in Tulsa say hunters found remains of son's friend Jack Grimes
- A Tulsa mother disappeared while searching for her missing son and foul play has not been ruled out in both disappearances, police say. Glenda "Cookie" Parton, 80, was last seen while driving on Oct. 25. A day earlier, her son Dwayne Selby, 56, and his friend Jack Grimes, 76,...
Oct 28, 2021 1:08 PM CDT
Remains of Missing Lauren Cho Are Identified
New Jersey woman, 30, died after going missing near Joshua Tree National Park in California
Remains found in in the desert of California's Yucca Valley earlier this month have been identified as those of New Jersey music teacher Lauren Cho, 30, who disappeared at the end of June. However, the cause of death has not yet been determined, reports KTLA , and the results...
Cause of Death Announced for
Grad Student Found in River
Oct 26, 2021 9:45 AM CDT
Cause of Death Announced for Grad Student Found in River
Coroner says Jelani Day, 25, drowned in Illinois River; Day's family says he was murdered
Jelani Day, the Illinois State University grad student found dead in the Illinois River on Sept. 4, died by drowning, a coroner announced Monday. LaSalle County Coroner Richard Ploch noted the autopsy wasn't ideal, as the body had decomposed and been visited by predators. Still, "there was...
Calif. Cops Take Fresh Look
at Teen's 1986 Disappearance
Oct 12, 2021 11:10 AM CDT
Calif. Cops Take Fresh Look at Teen's 1986 Disappearance
Susan Bender's mom has long suspected a family acquaintance
- California police are looking for the public's help in wrapping up the 35-year-old disappearance of a teenage girl . Susan Robin Bender was 15 when a friend saw her get into a green van at a Greyhound bus station in Modesto on the afternoon of April 25, 1986. Susan claimed...
Found Dead After
Oct 7, 2021 2:32 AM CDT
Missing Hiker Found Dead After Petito Search Shot Himself
Bob Lowery had been missing since Aug. 20
A cause of death has been determined for the Texas father found dead in Wyoming after the search for Gabby Petito brought fresh attention to the missing persons case. Robert "Bob" Lowery, 46, committed suicide via a gunshot wound to the head, NBC News and Yahoo News report....
Oct 2, 2021 3:40 PM CDT
Missing Student's Remains Found
Miya Marcano, 19, had disappeared a week ago in Florida
The body of a college student who had been missing for a week has been found in Florida, authorities said Saturday. Authorities discovered Miya Marcano's remains at an apartment building, the AP reports. Orange County Sheriff John Mina said the cause of death is not yet known. Cellphone...
Gabby Petito's Dad
Has a Message
Sep 29, 2021 11:10 AM CDT
Gabby Petito's Dad Has a Message for 'Everyone'
'Help all the people that are missing,' Joseph Petito says in announcing new foundation
- The family of slain traveler Gabby Petito on Tuesday implored the public and news media to put the same energy into helping find other missing people as they did Petito, a 22-year-old woman who vanished on a cross-country trip with her boyfriend. Petito's parents and stepparents spoke to reporters...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Archbishop to Pelosi: No More Communion for You
Finland Won't Pay Gas Company in Rubles. Russia Hits Back
Tech Bigwig Was on Call on How to Contest Trump's Loss
2 Secret Service Employees Sent Home From Biden's Trip
First, 'Loud Noises on Their Lanai.' Then, a Surprise Visitor
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.