Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Avenatti Loses Stormy Daniels
Case After Representing Self
Feb 4, 2022 2:45 PM CST
Avenatti Loses Stormy Daniels Case After Representing Self
He's facing jail time but plans to appeal
- Michael Avenatti was convicted Friday of charges he cheated the porn actor Stormy Daniels out of nearly $300,000 she was supposed to get for writing a book about an alleged tryst with former President Trump. Avenatti, who acted as his own lawyer, stared straight ahead as the verdict was...
A 'Furious' Stormy Daniels
Testifies Against Avenatti
Jan 28, 2022 7:00 AM CST
A 'Furious' Stormy Daniels Testifies Against Avenatti
He's accused of cheating her out of $300K
- Stormy Daniels took her star turn on the witness stand Thursday at California lawyer Michael Avenatti’s trial, telling a jury she was "very, very angry" and felt "betrayed and stupid" when she was told that the lawyer she had teamed up with against Donald Trump had stolen...
Mistrial Declared in
Michael Avenatti Case
Aug 24, 2021 5:08 PM CDT
Mistrial Declared in Michael Avenatti Case
He's accused of cheating clients out of millions
- A California judge declared a mistrial Tuesday in the embezzlement trial of attorney Michael Avenatti, who is charged with stealing millions in settlement money from his clients. US District Judge James V. Selna ruled on technical grounds that federal prosecutors failed to turn over relevant financial evidence to Avenatti, the...
A High-Profile Trump Foe
Jul 8, 2021 2:28 PM CDT
A High-Profile Trump Foe Is Sentenced
Attorney Michael Avenatti gets 2 and a half years for trying to extort Nike
- Attorney Michael Avenatti was back in the spotlight Thursday in a bad way: He received a sentence of 2½ years in prison for trying to extort Nike :
Avenatti is best known for representing Stormy Daniels in her legal fights against former President Trump while Trump was in office. Their
Apr 12, 2020 8:07 AM CDT
Michael Avenatti Won't Spend Pandemic in Jail
Convicted lawyer eventually will be confined at a friend's house in Los Angeles
- A federal judge has agreed with Michael Avenatti that because the lawyer had pneumonia last year, a Manhattan jail is no place for him during the pandemic. Avenatti has been released from the Metropolitan Correctional Center, which has had inmates test positive for the coronavirus, CNN reports. The plan is...
Feb 14, 2020 2:41 PM CST
Michael Avenatti Found Guilty
Disgraced lawyer convicted of trying to extort Nike, faces long jail sentence
- Michael Avenatti, the combative lawyer who gained fame by representing a porn star in lawsuits involving President Trump, was convicted Friday of trying to extort Nike, per the AP . The verdict was returned Friday by a federal jury in Manhattan following a three-week trial in which prosecutors said Avenatti threatened...
in Debt at Time
of Nike Extortion
Dec 26, 2019 7:06 AM CST
Prosecutors: Avenatti $15M in Debt at Time of Nike Extortion
Stormy Daniels' ex-attorney calls the claim 'absurd'
- Prosecutors say California attorney Michael Avenatti was over $15 million in debt when he tried to extort up to $25 million from Nike, while Avenatti's lawyers say the money he legally requested to conduct an internal probe of the sportswear giant was a bargain. Both sides made the assertions...
Avenatti Enters Plea
in Stormy Daniels Case
May 28, 2019 4:09 PM CDT
Avenatti Enters Plea in Stormy Daniels Case
Says he's facing the fight of his life 'against the ultimate goliath, the Trump administration'
- The pugilistic and embattled attorney Michael Avenatti pleaded not guilty Tuesday to defrauding his most famous client, porn star Stormy Daniels, and seized the spotlight to toss a barb at President Trump, the AP reports. Avenatti barely spoke during his 10-minute appearance before a federal judge in New York, except...
Avenatti Charged With
Cheating Stormy Daniels
May 22, 2019 4:00 PM CDT
Avenatti Charged With Cheating Stormy Daniels
The attorney is accused of fraud and identity theft
- Michael Avenatti, the attorney who rocketed to fame through his representation of porn star Stormy Daniels in her battles with President Trump, was charged Wednesday with ripping her off, the AP reports. Federal prosecutors in New York City say Avenatti used a doctored document to divert about $300,000 that...
Is in Much
Apr 11, 2019 11:50 AM CDT
Avenatti Is in Much Hotter Water Now
Indictment accuses him of stealing millions from clients, including a mentally ill paraplegic
- High-profile attorney Michael Avenatti was already in hot water before this week, accused of trying to extort money from Nike . But on Thursday, his problems became much, much worse. A federal grand jury in Los Angeles indicted him on 36 counts—separate from the Nike investigation in New York—that...
Avenatti Comes Out
Swinging Against Nike
Mar 27, 2019 12:40 AM CDT
Avenatti Comes Out Swinging Against Nike
He says he will reveal 'major scandal'
- Attorney Michael Avenatti came out swinging Tuesday against Nike, accusing the shoemaker—without evidence—of "rampant" corruption mere hours after he was released from custody on charges he tried to extort up to $25 million from the company. In a string of posts on Twitter —a medium he...
Is a Huge Name
in Legal Circles
Mar 26, 2019 10:09 AM CDT
Avenatti's Alleged Co-Conspirator Is a Huge Name in Legal Circles
Mark Geragos has represented Michael Jackson, Jussie Smollett, and more
- Michael Avenatti is in hot water legally on accusations that he tried to extort Nike . Turns out, his alleged co-conspirator is a big name, too. CNN was among numerous outlets Monday to name Mark Geragos as the unnamed co-conspirator in the indictment. After doing so, the network fired Geragos...
Is Freed on
Mar 26, 2019 1:49 AM CDT
Defiant Avenatti Is Freed on $300K Bond
He's accused of 'old-fashioned shakedown'
- A defiant Michael Avenatti was freed on $300,000 bond and promised to keep "fighting that good fight" Monday night after his arrest on charges including extortion and wire fraud . Stormy Daniels' former lawyer, who did not enter a plea during an appearance in federal court in New York,...
Arrested, Hit With
Mar 25, 2019 1:00 PM CDT
Michael Avenatti Arrested, Hit With Multiple Charges
Stormy Daniels' former lawyer charged with extortion, fraud
- Stormy Daniels' former lawyer Michael Avenatti was arrested Monday and charged with extortion and bank and wire fraud, say US prosecutors. The high-profile attorney, who has also represented some of R. Kelly's accusers, faces federal charges in New York and California, the AP reports. The New York charges have...
Stormy Daniels Split
Mar 12, 2019 6:36 PM CDT
Michael Avenatti, Stormy Daniels Split
Daniels' lawyer became a big name after taking her case
- Michael Avenatti, who became famous as the lawyer for Stormy Daniels, said Tuesday that he no longer represents the porn actress who alleged she had an affair with President Donald Trump. In the last year, the duo rose to become household names in their fight against Trump, dominating cable news...
on Trump NDA
Mar 8, 2019 6:01 AM CST
Judge Crushes Stormy's Suit on Trump NDA
Adult film star had sought to nullify $130K NDA that kept her from talking about alleged Trump affair
- The same judge who dismissed Stormy Daniels' defamation lawsuits against President Trump and his former attorney Michael Cohen has just quashed yet another one of her complaints. Per CNN , US District Judge James Otero ruled that this suit, which the adult film star brought to nullify the $130,000 non-disclosure...
Women: We Went
to R. Kelly Concert,
Ended Up Victims
Feb 22, 2019 5:03 AM CST
Women: We Went to R. Kelly Concert, Ended Up Victims
Latresa Scaff, Rochelle Washington say they were minors when he made sexual advances
- Latresa Scaff and Rochelle Washington said "many people" knew the then-teens were with R. Kelly one night more than two decades ago. The women, who were about 16 and 15, had gone to an R. Kelly/LL Cool J concert in Baltimore in 1995 or 1996, and say that while...
Says He Has New
Against R. Kelly
Feb 14, 2019 4:19 PM CST
Michael Avenatti Says He Has New Video Evidence Against R. Kelly
Lawyer says he has handed over tape showing singer having sex with underage girl
- Attorney Michael Avenatti said Thursday he has given Chicago prosecutors new video evidence of R&B star R. Kelly having sex with an underage girl, the AP reports. Avenatti said the video isn't the same evidence used in Kelly's 2008 trial, when he was acquitted on child pornography...
Prosecutors, Attorney Clash
Over Avenatti Abuse Charge
Feb 2, 2019 9:30 AM CST
Prosecutors, Attorney Clash Over Avenatti Abuse Charge
Charge won't be brought, but it's still not over
- Los Angeles prosecutors said Friday that they have declined to charge attorney Michael Avenatti with misdemeanor domestic violence but will hold hearings on the allegations, the AP reports. Actress Mareli Miniutti got a restraining order against Avenatti in November after accusing him of dragging her by the arm across a...
Stormy Daniels Ordered
to Pay Trump $293K
Dec 11, 2018 4:40 PM CST
Stormy Daniels Ordered to Pay Trump $293K
It's less than half what president's attorney had requested
- Porn star Stormy Daniels must pay President Donald Trump nearly $293,000 for his attorneys' fees and another $1,000 in sanctions after her defamation suit against him was dismissed, a federal judge in Los Angeles ordered Tuesday. Trump's attorney, Charles Harder, had requested nearly $390,000 in fees,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Only a Whirlwind Can Save Mars Lander
Elite Cyclist Shot, Killed at 25
Report: Before Mass Shooting, 15 Accepted Suspect's Invite
2 Secret Service Employees Sent Home From Biden's Trip
Musk Accused of Exposing Himself to Flight Attendant
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.