Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Dozens in IKEA Overnight
Dec 3, 2021 5:12 AM CST
Snowstorm Strands Dozens in IKEA Overnight
Customers, workers in Denmark got to 'pick the exact bed they always have wanted to try'
- Dozens of people stranded by a snowstorm in Denmark this week didn't have as much beer available as a group that was stuck in a British pub for days after a storm—but they had no shortage of beds to choose from. Six customers and 25 employees had to...
During Pandemic, This Nation's
Economy Takes Top Billing
Sep 30, 2021 5:00 PM CDT
During Pandemic, This Nation's Economy Takes Top Billing
Switzerland is No. 1 on WIPO's Global Innovation Index for 132 economies around the world
- To get through something like a pandemic, countries have had to innovate—especially when it comes to keeping their economies humming. And there are "reasons to be optimistic" on that front, according to one of the editors of the World Intellectual Property Organization's annual Global Innovation Index , which...
Lennon Tape Not Heard for
50 Years Hits Auction Block
Sep 29, 2021 11:50 AM CDT
Lennon Tape Not Heard for 50 Years Hits Auction Block
Includes never-released 'Radio Peace,' performed during John and Yoko's 1970 Denmark visit
- Think you've heard every John Lennon bootleg, remaster, and import? There's a new tape in the mix, unheard for more than 50 years, though you'll have to convince the person who just bought it for $58,300 at auction to play it. The 33-minute recording made in...
Artist Takes Museum's $84K,
Produces 2 Blank Canvases
Sep 29, 2021 2:30 AM CDT
Artist Takes Museum's $84K, Produces 2 Blank Canvases
'Take the Money and Run' is about artists' working conditions, Jens Haaning says
- When Denmark's Kunsten Museum of Modern Art gave Jens Haaning $84,000, it expected the artist to recreate two of his previous works. Instead, the museum says, Haaning gave it two blank canvases. "The curator received an email in which Jens Haaning wrote that he had made a...
Sep 25, 2021 3:06 PM CDT
Norway Drops Pandemic Rules
Handshakes are permitted again, health minister says
- New coronavirus infections in Norway have dropped by half in the past two weeks. New hospitalizations have leveled off. And University of Oxford data show that 67% of the population is fully vaccinated, while 10% has had its first shot. So the government canceled its pandemic restrictions on Saturday, the...
Denmark Plans to Ban Lifers
From Starting New Romances
Sep 16, 2021 1:48 PM CDT
Denmark Plans to Ban Lifers From Starting New Romances
They're worried about prison 'groupies,' including a teen who fell for Peter Madsen
- Peter Madsen, the Danish man serving a life sentence for torturing, killing, and dismembering journalist Kim Wall on his submarine in 2017, apparently has a busier love life than many people on the outside—and the country's lawmakers want to put an end to it. A new bill introduced...
Jun 18, 2021 1:27 PM CDT
Soccer Player Home From Hospital After Field Collapse
Denmark's Christian Eriksen suffered cardiac arrest during Euro 2020 match
- Christian Eriksen was discharged from the hospital on Friday and immediately went to visit his Denmark teammates nearly a week after suffering cardiac arrest during a European Championship match. The Danish soccer federation wrote on Twitter that Eriksen was released from the Rigshospitalet in central Copenhagen after a successful operation....
First Country Permanently
Halts Use of AZ Vaccine
Apr 14, 2021 4:02 PM CDT
First Country Permanently Halts Use of AZ Vaccine
Denmark cites 'real risk of side effects'
- Another setback for the troubled European Union COVID vaccination campaign: Denmark has become the first country to permanently stop using the AstraZeneca vaccine because of a link to rare cases of blood clots , reports Reuters . Danish Health Authority director Soren Brostroem said Wednesday there there is a "real risk...
They Found Safety in Denmark.
Now They're Told to Go
Apr 14, 2021 1:32 PM CDT
They Found Safety in Denmark. Now They're Told to Go
Denmark becomes first EU country to revoke Syrians' residence permits
- "I'm not a danger. I'm not a criminal." You might be inclined to agree. What Ghalia al-Asseh
is a chemistry and biotechnology student at the Technical University of Denmark, the country in which she has lived since fleeing Syria with her family in 2015. Now,...
This Is the Happiest
Country in the World
Mar 19, 2021 10:24 AM CDT
This Is the Happiest Country in the World
It's not the US, which comes in at No. 14, per 'Forbes'
- Saturday is marked as the International Day of Happiness , and in some parts of the world, that contentment factor is especially prevalent.
reports on the 2021 World Happiness Report , the ninth installation, which calls the past year a year "like no other." The Gallup World Poll team...
2 Die of Blood Clots
After Vaccine Dose
Mar 11, 2021 7:22 AM CST
2 Die of Blood Clots After Vaccine Dose
Both doses came from batch ABV5300 of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine
- Denmark is suspending use of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine for 14 days from Thursday following reports of "severe cases of blood clots." Health Minister Magnus Heunicke stresses the move is a "precautionary measure" as the fatal or life-threatening blood clots reported in a handful of vaccine recipients have...
Peter Madsen Gets
Another 21 Months
Feb 9, 2021 12:09 PM CST
Macabre Killer Peter Madsen Gets Another 21 Months
He is sentenced over his escape from prison after Kim Wall's submarine murder
- He was already serving life for one of Denmark's most notorious murders , but Peter Madsen just got another 21 months tacked on to his sentence. A court on Tuesday handed down the additional time for Madsen's stunning, if short-lived, escape from a prison in suburban Copenhagen last year,...
Yup, That's a Giant
Penis in a Kids Show
Jan 9, 2021 9:44 AM CST
Yup, That's a Giant Penis in a Kids Show
Danish Broadcasting Corporation's 'John Dillermand' arouses debate
- A new TV show has premiered in Denmark about a man with the world's largest penis, which he can't always control. Did we mention it's a kid's show? The animated series that premiered Saturday on the Danish Broadcasting Corporation (DR), aimed at 4- to 8-year-olds, has...
Denmark Will Exhume
Millions of Dead Mink
Dec 21, 2020 6:23 AM CST
Denmark Will Exhume Millions of Dead Mink
It'll wait until May, though
- Denmark has confirmed it will indeed tackle the grim job of digging up millions of mink who were culled due to the coronavirus and buried in mass graves. Two of those graves, it turns out, are located near a drinking water source and swimming lake , respectively, leading to concerns that...
Danish Murder Case Ends
With One Charge 'Missing'
Dec 2, 2020 4:28 PM CST
Danish Murder Case Ends With One Charge 'Missing'
Magnus and Mads Moeller are sentenced for killing their Black friend
- A racially-charged murder case in Denmark has ended with 14-year sentences for two brothers—but some say they dodged the most fitting charge of all, the BBC reports. Magnus and Mads Moeller were found guilty of torturing and killing their Black friend, Phillip Mbuji Johansen, in a prolonged attack this...
Denmark Faces Calls to
Dig Up Just-Buried Minks
Nov 28, 2020 9:50 AM CST
Denmark Faces Calls to Dig Up Just-Buried Minks
Millions were culled in coronavirus measure
- Just weeks after starting to cull millions of minks to combat the spread of the coronavirus, Denmark's government is under pressure to exhume them. One mass burial site is near a swimming lake, the other near a source of drinking water, the BBC reports. In addition, gases have caused...
'Zombie' COVID-Infected Mink
Re-Emerging From Graves
Nov 26, 2020 3:49 AM CST
'Zombie' COVID-Infected Mink Re-Emerging From Graves
Sounds like something out of a horror story, but this is real life in Denmark
- Denmark is culling millions of minks to stop a dangerous mutated form of the coronavirus from spreading to humans , but some of those minks don't seem to want to stay in the ground. As
reports, minks infected with the mutated COVID-19 strain are re-emerging after being buried...
Danish Mask Study
Doesn't Align With
Nov 18, 2020 12:57 PM CST
Danish Mask Study Doesn't Align With CDC Guidance
Danish study found protection level fell far short of expectations
- Scientists agree that wearing a mask helps stop infected people from spreading the coronavirus—but there is some disagreement over how much they protect the wearer. A Danish study conducted early in the pandemic, when few Danes wore masks in public, found that masks did not offer as much protection...
In 4 Museum Heists, Thieves
Went After the Same Thing
Nov 13, 2020 9:20 AM CST
In 4 Museum Heists, Thieves Went After the Same Thing
A fortune's worth of Nazi uniforms stolen in Europe since March
- Thieves set up a roadblock of tires, parked a fake police car beside it, then smashed down the door of the Eyewitness War Museum in the Netherlands, from which they took $1.5 million in World War II memorabilia in just five minutes, per the
New York Times
Denmark Realizes No Law
Allows Order to Cull Minks
Nov 10, 2020 1:17 PM CST
Denmark Realizes No Law Allows Order to Cull Minks
Government urges farmers to go ahead anyway to protect humans from coronavirus
- Now that it's begun to cull as many as 17 million minks, Denmark's government has conceded there's nothing in the law that permits the order. The decision was made after a mutated form of the coronavirus jumped to humans and fears arose that the effectiveness of vaccines...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Mom's Text to Suspected Shooter: 'Ethan Don't Do It'
Parents of Shooting Suspect Are Considered Fugitives
Plumber Finds Cash Stashed Behind Megachurch Wall
Chef Sentenced to 4 Months for 'Rushed' Shepherd's Pie
Aariel Maynor Arrested in Jacqueline Avant Murder
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.