Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
School's Out in Nation's
Jan 6, 2022 12:01 AM CST
School's Out in Nation's 3rd-Largest District—Again
Chicago Public Schools fails to reach agreement with teachers union
Chicago Public Schools has canceled Thursday classes, the second day in a row, after failing to reach an agreement with the teachers union over virtual learning and other COVID-19 protocols amid the latest surge in cases. The closure will affect 350,000 students, the AP reports.
Our original story
NYC Mayor Makes Big
Call on Schools: 'It's Time'
May 24, 2021 11:05 AM CDT
NYC Mayor Makes Big Call on Schools: 'It's Time'
Bill de Blasio said the city's schools will be all in person in the fall, with no remote option
- New York City schools will be all in person this fall, with no remote options, Mayor Bill de Blasio announced Monday. "We can't have a full recovery without full-strength schools, everyone back, sitting in those classrooms," de Blasio said on MSNBC's
, per the AP...
Snow Days Are
History in New York
May 10, 2021 5:25 PM CDT
Snow Days Are History in New York
City's district decides disappointed students should return to remote learning
- One of the most joyous announcements of childhood—"Snow day!"—will not be heard in New York City next winter. Starting next school year, when snow falls or school buildings are closed because of an emergency, students are to stay home and return to remote learning, the...
Dad Got Up to Speak on School
Closures. It Wasn't Pretty
Jan 29, 2021 7:40 AM CST
Dad Got Up to Speak on School Closures. It Wasn't Pretty
Brandon Michon says his 'blood started boiling' before his tirade to Loudoun County School Board
- A Virginia dad showed up at a school board meeting this week, and a clip of his furious speech about schools that still aren't open amid the pandemic has gone viral. In a video circulating online, Brandon Michon, whose kids are 5 and 8, called the board "a...
Trip by Teachers' Rep
Doesn't Go Over Well
Jan 3, 2021 11:25 AM CST
Trip by Teachers' Rep Doesn't Go Over Well
Chicago union VP Sarah Chambers is under fire for Puerto Rico photo on Instagram
- A Chicago Teachers Union leader is in hot water after a photo emerged of her apparently sitting poolside in the Caribbean while she personally urged other city educators not to return to the classroom due to unsafe COVID-related conditions. Per WGN9 , CTU executive board member and area vice president Sarah...
First-Grade Remote Class
Turns Absolutely Horrifying
Oct 19, 2020 5:00 AM CDT
First-Grade Remote Class Turns Absolutely Horrifying
Sexual assault of girl is livestreamed during lesson
- A Chicago Public Schools remote learning class turned absolutely horrifying Thursday when a 7-year-old girl was sexually assaulted during the livestream, police say. The teacher of the first-grade class frantically cried, "Log off! Log off!" to other students, who were confused and alarmed by what they were seeing,...
Boy, 9, Suspended for
BB Gun Spotted on Zoom
Oct 5, 2020 4:21 AM CDT
Boy, 9, Suspended for BB Gun Spotted on Zoom
Louisiana student's parents are now suing
- A Louisiana 4th-grader was suspended from school for six days after a teacher spotted what turned out to be a BB gun on his screen during a virtual class on Sept. 11. Now the 9-year-old's parents are suing, CNN reports. During a hearing last month, the school board found...
Situation Worsens for Student
Who Protested Remote Learning
Sep 16, 2020 4:00 AM CDT
Situation Worsens for Student Who Protested Remote Learning
Maverick Stow arrested last week, and this week learned he's suspended til June
- The New York high school student who protested his school's hybrid learning plan by attending classes on campus has been suspended for the rest of the school year. Maverick Stow, a 17-year-old senior, was initially hit with a five-day suspension early last week when he attended school on a...
Teen Suspended for Attending
His School's In-Person Classes
Sep 10, 2020 6:32 AM CDT
Teen Suspended for Attending His School's In-Person Classes
It was Maverick Stow's assigned day to be attending remotely
- Maverick Stow, a 17-year-old high school senior, thinks students should be attending in-person classes five days a week. So, to protest his New York school's hybrid learning model, Stow went ahead and attended his classes in person on Tuesday—despite that day being his assigned day to attend remotely....
Chicago Drops 'Hybrid'
Plan for Schools This Fall
Aug 6, 2020 12:01 AM CDT
Chicago Drops 'Hybrid' Plan for Schools This Fall
School year will start with remote learning
- Chicago’s mayor on Wednesday announced that the nation’s third-largest school district will not welcome students back to the classroom to start the school year, and will instead rely on remote instruction. The city's decision to abandon its plan to have students attend in-person classes for two days...
Popular on Newser
Pete Rose on Sex Misconduct Claims: '55 Years Ago, Babe'
Liz Cheney Reveals Her Thoughts on DeSantis
Those Tax Incentives to Buy Electric? There's a Problem
Top US General Vowed to Fight Trump 'From the Inside'
Trump: FBI Has Raided 'My Beautiful Home'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.