Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
There's Now an
Outbreak of 'Brain Fog'
Nov 18, 2023 5:30 AM CST
There's Now an Outbreak of 'Brain Fog'
More than 16M working-age Americans say they're experiencing it; you can probably blame COVID
- The number of working-age Americans who report suffering from the malady known as "brain fog" keeps rising. The
New York Times
reports that 16.5 million people ages 18 to 64 are in that boat, roughly the same number who report having trouble walking or taking the stairs. The...
New Clue Found in Mystery
of Long COVID
Oct 16, 2023 2:11 PM CDT
New Clue Found in Mystery of Long COVID
Virus remnants in the gut might crimp the production of serotonin
- A new study appears to shed light on the vexing medical mystery of long COVID , with a reduction in serotonin levels in patients seen as a key component. If the research published in Cell holds true, it suggests that some people might be able to take medication to boost the...
Why Some Colds
Seem to Last Weeks
Oct 6, 2023 2:40 PM CDT
Research Shows Why Some Colds Seem to Last Weeks
Like COVID, other respiratory infections and their effects can linger
- As far as acute respiratory infections go, lingering symptoms aren't just for COVID-19, researchers have found. "Long colds" and their symptoms can last more than four weeks, according to a study published Friday in the
's EClinicalMedicine journal. "Our findings may chime with the experience of...
For Long COVID Sufferers,
Good News and Bad News
Aug 1, 2023 1:53 PM CDT
For Long COVID Sufferers, Good News and Bad News
Researchers say it's like having the brain age 10 years; but NIH is rolling out treatment studies
- For those battling the vague but debilitating condition that has come to be known as long COVID , it's a mix of good and bad news.
British researchers measured the cognitive impairment of those with the diagnosis and found that it's the equivalent of their brains aging
Long COVID Patients
May Fare Worse Than
Some With Cancer
Jun 8, 2023 12:55 PM CDT
Long COVID Patients May Fare Worse Than Some With Cancer
Fatigue is No. 1 symptom among this group, which sees 'shockingly' low quality-of-life scores
- Medical experts and researchers are still wrangling with the intricacies of long COVID , the label given to health issues that persist or emerge after one's initial bout with the coronavirus is believed to have "ended." Now, a study out of the UK sheds more light on how...
Made Her Cry,
Apr 6, 2023 2:11 PM CDT
Coffee Aroma Made Her Cry, for Good Reason
Ohio woman who had COVID has sense of smell restored at Cleveland Clinic
- Lots of people love the smell of coffee. Few have been as overjoyed with it as Ohio's Jennifer Henderson, and for good reason. A video released by the Cleveland Clinic shows the 54-year-old bursting into tears as she is handed a cup and is able to detect the aroma,...
Scientists May Have
Solved a Big COVID Mystery
in case you missed it
Dec 25, 2022 11:31 AM CST
Scientists May Have Solved a Big COVID Mystery
They say loss of smell might be from inflammation-driving T-cells helping to nix critical neurons in nose
- Loss of taste and smell are among the symptoms of COVID that stick around after the infection itself has subsided, and now scientists think they may be on to why the latter happens. It may all come down to an unusual immune response in which T-cells that cause inflammation invade...
CDC Study Confirms
Long COVID Can Kill You
Dec 14, 2022 12:36 PM CST
CDC Study Confirms Long COVID Can Kill You
0.3% of COVID deaths in first 30 months of pandemic involved long COVID
- Long COVID can kill, or so found what's thought to be the first nationwide study on the subject. The CDC analyzed death certificates in the National Vital Statistics System from the period Jan. 1, 2020, to June 30, 2022, that had a diagnostic code for COVID-19; there were 1,...
One Theory on the Big Jump
in Workers With Disabilities
Oct 26, 2022 10:50 AM CDT
One Theory on the Big Jump in Workers With Disabilities
Fed report suggests long COVID is the driver
- Take a look at Axios' chart of how many disabled Americans are in the US workforce, and you'll see a decade where the number mostly fell between 4 million and 5 million. But since 2020 it's been a steady climb from just below 5 million to 5.73...
New Long COVID Study
Brings Rigor to the Topic
Oct 12, 2022 2:55 PM CDT
New Long COVID Study Brings Rigor to the Topic
It also sheds light on the scale of the problem
- It may not contain any major surprises, but a recent large-scale Scottish study "provides powerful evidence" that long COVID is a major public health concern—and it does so in a more rigorous and expansive way than previous studies, per the
In reporting the initial results from...
GOP Have Doubts
Sep 20, 2022 2:00 AM CDT
Health Experts, GOP Have Doubts About Biden's Pandemic Claim
It's not over, officials point out, when 400 people are dying of COVID each day
Add Anthony Fauci to the list of people contradicting President Biden's assertion that the COVID-19 pandemic is over. Fauci, Biden's top COVID adviser, said Monday that the US is "not where we need to be if we’re going to be able to, quote, ‘live...
Brain Fog Isn't a Fog.
It's Something Far Worse
Sep 13, 2022 2:24 PM CDT
Brain Fog Isn't a Fog. It's Something Far Worse
Executive-function impairments make life exceedingly difficult for long COVID sufferers
- You've heard about "brain fog" in relation to COVID, but likely not like this. Writing for the
, Ed Yong delves into the symptom that plagues some long COVID sufferers, and plagues might be too soft a word. As one primary-care specialist from the University of Oxford puts...
Millions Aren't Able to Work
Because of Long COVID
Aug 27, 2022 7:00 AM CDT
Millions Aren't Able to Work Because of Long COVID
The Brookings Institution is out with a new report
- "Long COVID definitely affects the ability to remain employed," a doctor with Mount Sinai Health System tells the
Wall Street Journal
. It's an anecdotal statement that's backed up by new numbers. The paper cites a Brookings Institution report released Wednesday that refines its assessment of long...
For Millions, COVID
Has Caused Long-Term
Smell, Taste Problems
Jul 28, 2022 10:22 AM CDT
For Millions, COVID Has Caused Long-Term Smell, Taste Problems
Around 5% of patients didn't recover senses 6 months after infection, researchers say
- Only around 5% of people infected with COVID-19 end up experiencing long-term problems with smell or taste, according to new research—but that still adds up to millions of people with a problem that can seriously affect their quality of life. In a study published in the
British Medical Journal
Her COVID Tests Were
Jul 24, 2022 9:03 PM CDT
Her COVID Tests Were All Negative—Perplexingly
The timing and symptoms were right, but Emma Zimmerman lacks proof of COVID
- "Currently, no days are good days" for Emma Zimmerman. As the 26-year-old writes for HuffPost , she wakes to a migraine frequently; half her body is numb; she trudges more than walks. "On these days, I cannot shake the thought that something alien lingers inside me." She's...
Long COVID Is Really
Jun 19, 2022 10:00 PM CDT
Long COVID Is Really Long—and Enigmatic
Health experts are flummoxed by diagnosing, treating this type of illness
- In her two years of battling COVID-19, Lindsay Polega has been referred to, in order: an immunologist, cardiologist, nephrologist, endocrinologist, neurologist, then the immunologist again. Still, she's dealing with a list of symptoms including chest pain, hypertensive spikes, and hand numbness. Scrolling on her cellphone has caused vertigo, and...
Dave Navarro Is a
May 31, 2022 1:17 PM CDT
Dave Navarro Is a COVID Long-Hauler
Jane's Addiction rocker expects a 'full recovery at some point'
- Jane’s Addiction guitarist Dave Navarro is a COVID-19 long-hauler, and he wants others with the condition to know they’re not alone. Navarro, 54, described his situation in a weekend Instagram post, which has since been deleted, per
. “So yeah, I'm one of the ones who...
Research Likens COVID's Effect
on Brain to Aging From 50 to 70
May 4, 2022 7:50 PM CDT
Research Likens COVID's Effect on Brain to Aging From 50 to 70
Severity of the illness appears linked to degree of decline
- Researchers have found that the effects of long COVID can include starting a cognitive decline comparable to the person aging mentally 20 years. The UK study 's senior author said the severity of the decline is tied to the seriousness of the person's illness, the
Knowing What Long COVID
Can Do, Kaine Backs Research
Mar 5, 2022 12:40 PM CST
Knowing What Long COVID Can Do, Kaine Backs Research
Senate bill would expand treatment options and understanding
- Not much is understood about long COVID or its causes; it doesn't even have an official name yet. A new Senate bill is intended to increase research, treatment options, and understanding about the phenomenon, which one of the sponsors knows something about. Sen. Tim Kaine came down with COVID-19...
Another Nasty Side Effect
of COVID Rears Its Head
Feb 23, 2022 8:09 AM CST
Another Nasty Side Effect of COVID Rears Its Head
Millions potentially affected by heart problems as researchers warn of strained health systems
- People who've been infected with COVID-19 are at a "substantial" risk for cardiovascular diseases up to a year after infection, according to a study of US veterans, 99.7% of whom were unvaccinated. The study analyzed health data for 153,000 veterans who were infected up to January...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Investigation Lobs Disturbing Allegations Against Candy Giant
Morgan Names Royals Who Made Alleged Racist Comments
A 'Familiar Maternal Face on TV' Dead at 93
Couple's NC Wyeth Windfall Collapses
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.