Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Oversight Board Slams Meta's
Unequal Treatment of VIPs
Dec 6, 2022 10:20 AM CST
Oversight Board Slams Meta's Unequal Treatment of VIPs
'Cross-check grants certain users greater protection than others'
- An oversight board has found that Facebook and Instagram's VIP program creates an unequal environment where celebrities, politicians, and business partners receive preferential treatment. As NPR reports, "in some cases, their posts are exempted from Meta's rules entirely." Meta ordered a review of its "cross-check"...
Mark Zuckerberg Has
a Problem With Apple, Too
Dec 1, 2022 12:17 PM CST
Mark Zuckerberg Has a Problem With Apple, Too
CEOs of Meta, Spotify, Fortnite also complain of company's 'monopoly'
- Elon Musk may have eased his censure of Apple , but his initial attacks have ushered in a heap of criticism from elsewhere. Fellow billionaire Mark Zuckerberg echoed Musk's complaints that Apple has too great a hold on the app market on Wednesday. "Apple has sort of singled themselves...
Big Shift on
Nov 16, 2022 9:05 AM CST
Trump Run Leads to Big Shift on Facebook
Meta memo says 'long-standing policy' on politicians mandates Trump won't be fact-checked
- Yes, former President Trump is running for the Oval Office again. And no, Facebook won't be fact-checking what he says during that campaign, and perhaps afterward, if he gets into office. CNN got its hands on a memo issued Tuesday by Meta's "news integrity partnership" team to...
'I Got This Wrong': Meta to
Move Forward With Mass Cuts
Nov 9, 2022 6:45 AM CST
'I Got This Wrong': Meta to Move Forward With Mass Cuts
Mark Zuckerberg announces workforce will shrink by 13%
- Meta CEO Mark Zuckerberg on Wednesday confirmed that the first mass layoffs in the company's history are happening, with 11,000 "talented employees"—or 13% of the workforce—to be cut. Meta's hiring freeze will also persist through Q1. The
Wall Street Journal
confirms it marks...
For First Time,
Nov 7, 2022 6:23 AM CST
For First Time, Zuckerberg Readies Mass Layoffs
Meta, parent of Facebook, will reportedly lay off thousands of people this week
- Twitter employees aren't the only tech staffers facing a bleak November : Facebook parent company Meta is expected to announce its biggest wave of layoffs since Mark Zuckerberg founded it in 2004, reports the
New York Times
. The numbers are unclear, but
Wall Street Journal
predicts "many thousands" of...
Meta Stock Plunges
After a Dismal
Oct 27, 2022 12:00 AM CDT
Meta Stock Plunges After a Dismal Earnings Report
Analysts are concerned about the future of Facebook's parent company
- Meta's third-quarter earnings call Wednesday did not have great news for investors: For the second consecutive quarter, revenue declined, and it's forecasted to do so again next quarter. Meanwhile, costs and expenses rose 19% year over year. Shares plummeted in extended trading after the call, continuing what CNBC...
Meta's Latest VR Headset
Has Quite the Price Tag
Oct 12, 2022 1:33 PM CDT
Meta's Latest VR Headset Has Quite the Price Tag
Here's what the Meta Quest Pro offers
- Facebook parent Meta unveiled a high-end virtual reality headset Tuesday with the hope that people will soon be using it to work and play in the still-elusive place called the "metaverse." The $1,500 Meta Quest Pro headset costs nearly four times what Meta's cheapest Quest 2...
Keep Paying for
Oct 3, 2022 2:48 AM CDT
Meta Will Keep Paying for Sheryl Sandberg's Personal Security
Board approves payment through June 30, 2023
- Sheryl Sandberg's last day as a Meta employee was Friday, though she remains on the board of Facebook's parent company. However, due to what the Meta board terms "continuing threats to her safety," the board announced Friday it had approved the continued provision of personal security...
Father Attacks Meta
After Girl's Death
Sep 30, 2022 5:25 PM CDT
Father Attacks Meta After Girl's Death
Molly Russell, 14, was shown harmful content she didn't seek
- After an inquest found Friday that material on social media contributed to a London 14-year-old's death while self-harming, her father accused Meta of sending Molly Russell down a "demented trail of life-sucking content" for profit. The coroner said the sites' algorithms delivered harmful content to the teenager that...
Meta Exec Nick Clegg Says
Decision on Trump Is Up to Him
Sep 24, 2022 12:30 PM CDT
Meta Exec Nick Clegg Says Decision on Trump Is Up to Him
UK's former deputy PM says decision on Facebook reinstatement will be made in January
- Before Britain's May 2015 election, Nick Clegg was leader of the Liberal Democrats party and the country's deputy prime minister. Now, he's in charge of deciding whether another former political leader will be allowed back on Facebook. Clegg, president of global affairs at Meta, parent company of...
Have Had a
Rough Year. None
Sep 20, 2022 7:29 AM CDT
Tech Tycoons Have Had a Rough Year. None Like Zuckerberg
Meta CEO has hemorrhaged $71B since Jan. 1—more than half his wealth
- Don't worry, Mark Zuckerberg is still a billionaire—but he's lost many, many of those billions over the past several months. In what Bloomberg describes as a rough year for most tech billionaires, it's been an especially bumpy one for the Meta CEO: He's lost $71...
GOP Tweet Saying
to Shoot US Agents
Brings Twitter Ban
Aug 20, 2022 12:35 PM CDT
GOP Tweet Saying to Shoot US Agents Brings Twitter Ban
Republican in Florida statehouse race suggests threat was taken out of context, though he stands by it
- US officials, including the FBI director, have decried an increase in threats to federal agents. There have been attempts to carry out such threats , as well. Another one was posted Thursday on Twitter, saying: "Under my plan, all Floridians will be able to shoot FBI, IRS, ATF, and all...
Meta Ends Payments
to News Outlets
Jul 28, 2022 6:38 PM CDT
Meta Ends Payments to News Outlets
Large publishers will lose out on millions
- Meta is dropping its payments to publishers whose news content runs on Facebook's News Tab, a decision that will cost some outlets millions of dollars. Facebook negotiated a series of three-year deals with publishers in 2019, part of its investment in news that included hiring journalists to steer publisher...
Jul 27, 2022 5:31 PM CDT
Meta Reports First-Ever Revenue Drop
Company's problems include declining advertising spending, TikTok competition
- Meta's share price rose more than 6% in trading Wednesday—but it dropped 4% after-hours once the company reported its first-ever fall in revenue. Facebook's parent company reported quarterly revenue of $28.9 billion, below Wall Street's expectations and down almost 1% from the equivalent quarter last...
Intense at Meta
Jul 27, 2022 2:52 PM CDT
Things Are Getting Intense at Meta
Case in point, the memo titled 'Operating With Increased Intensity'
- The Verge got its hands on a recording of an internal all-hands meeting at Meta, and the Verge's take is that it paints Mark Zuckerberg in three lights: as a general girding for battle, as a visionary who is unshakable in his belief that the money-sucking metaverse will propel...
Cracking Down on
Abortion Pill Posts
Jun 29, 2022 2:16 AM CDT
Instagram, Facebook Cracking Down on Abortion Pill Posts
And more abortion-related controversy related to the social networks
- Shortly after Roe v. Wade was overturned by the Supreme Court, Instagram and Facebook were making headlines for more than one abortion-related reason. On Monday, Vice and other outlets reported that both Instagram and its sister company, Facebook, were removing posts from people offering to mail abortion pills. In some...
Sandberg's Exit Comes Under
Shadow of Company Probe
Jun 3, 2022 11:41 AM CDT
Sandberg's Exit Comes Under Shadow of Company Probe
As Meta looks into alleged misuse of company resources, others debate her legacy
- As the dust starts to settle on the Wednesday announcement of Sheryl Sandberg's farewell as chief operating officer of Facebook, now known as Meta, the inevitable "But why, really?" is being bandied about. Sandberg, 52, will remain on the company's board of directors and has said she'...
Jun 1, 2022 4:12 PM CDT
Sheryl Sandberg Plans 'Next Chapter'
Facebook's No. 2 says she'll leave her job in the fall
- Sheryl Sandberg, the most prominent Facebook executive after Mark Zuckerberg and an advocate for women in the workplace, announced Wednesday that she'll leave her post as chief operating officer in the fall. "When I took this job in 2008, I hoped I would be in this role for...
Report: Metaverse Rife
With Rape, 'Toxic Content'
May 30, 2022 1:19 PM CDT
Report: Metaverse Rife With Rape, 'Toxic Content'
Researchers urge Meta to weigh the potential harms and protect users
- The metaverse is still a work in progress, but it’s already attracting the worst of the internet. Per Business Insider, a researcher's avatar was raped in Meta-owned Horizon Worlds "within an hour after she donned her Oculus virtual-reality headset." It's one of several examples described...
Facebook Investigates Whether
Sandberg Tried to Block Article
Apr 21, 2022 5:10 PM CDT
Facebook Investigates Whether Sandberg Tried to Block Article
Executive formed team to stop news site from running story about her boyfriend
- Facebook is looking into whether Sheryl Sandberg violated company rules by pressuring a news site to spike an article on her boyfriend, possibly involving her employees in the effort. Sandberg, the chief operating officer of Meta, contacted the website edition of the
, a UK tabloid, in 2016 and...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Kyrsten Sinema Says She's Leaving Democratic Party
It's a 'Huge Milestone' for US Currency
Griner in 'Very Good Spirits,' as Viktor Bout Slams US
Congressman-Elect, 25, Denied DC Apartment
Sword Swallower's Act Goes Very, Very Wrong
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.