Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Uvalde mass shooting
Stories 1 - 20 |
Final Victim of Uvalde Shooting,
'Sweetest Little Boy, Is Buried
Jun 25, 2022 4:00 PM CDT
Final Victim of Uvalde Shooting, 'Sweetest Little Boy, Is Buried
Families, community have a long process ahead of them, experts say
- Funeral services were held Saturday for Uziyah Garcia, 10, the final victim of the mass shooting in Uvalde, Texas, to be buried. The funeral took place at Immanuel Baptist Church in San Angelo, where the boy lived until last year, the
Dallas Morning News
reports. Nineteen children and two teachers...
Uvalde School District Puts
Police Chief on Leave
Jun 22, 2022 6:50 PM CDT
Uvalde School District Puts Police Chief on Leave
Texas official criticized Pete Arredondo in legislative hearing
- The Uvalde school district's police chief was put on leave Wednesday following allegations that he erred in his response to the mass shooting at Robb Elementary School last month. Uvalde Consolidated Independent School District Superintendent Hal Harrell said that he put Pete Arredondo on administrative leave and that another...
The War of Words
Continues in Uvalde
Jun 22, 2022 7:37 AM CDT
The War of Words Continues in Uvalde
Texas Department of Public Safety head, city mayor air their grievances
- On Tuesday we reported on the head of the Texas Department of Public Safety's forceful, scathing denunciation of the decisions made by local police during the mass shooting in Uvalde. Our story didn't contain one standout piece of information given in testimony before a special state Senate committee...
for a Key
Jun 21, 2022 1:23 PM CDT
'He Waited for a Key That Was Never Needed'
Texas official denounces police response in Uvalde school shooting
- The police official in charge at Robb Elementary School while a gunman was killing students and teachers inside "decided to put the lives of officers ahead of the lives of children," the head of the Texas State Police said Tuesday. In testimony before a special state Senate committee...
Yet More Questions
Are Raised Regarding
Police Response in Uvalde
Jun 21, 2022 1:59 AM CDT
Yet More Questions Are Raised Regarding Police Response in Uvalde
Officers arrived earlier, and with more gear, than originally thought: reports
- Days after the revelation that police responding to the Uvalde school massacre last month didn't try the Robb Elementary School classroom door behind which the shooter was killing 21 people, another revelation raises more questions about the law enforcement response to the tragedy: According to documents and surveillance footage...
Video: Police Didn't Try
Uvalde Classroom Door
Jun 19, 2022 1:30 PM CDT
Video: Police Didn't Try Uvalde Classroom Door
Law enforcement source says door might have been unlocked
- In the 77 minutes that a Texas gunman was alone in two connected classrooms with Robb Elementary students and teachers, police didn't try to open the door, a law enforcement source said. Police later claimed they couldn't get into the rooms and were hunting for a key or...
School Police Chief
Explains His Actions
Jun 10, 2022 6:50 AM CDT
Embattled Uvalde School Police Chief Explains His Actions
Pete Arredondo gives extensive interview for first time since school shooting
- In his first extensive public comments since the Robb Elementary School massacre in Uvalde, Texas, school district police chief Pete Arredondo tells the
he did not consider himself the incident commander, though that's the way the state Department of Public Safety has described him, and that he...
to Be Buried Side by Side
Jun 8, 2022 1:45 PM CDT
Uvalde Sweethearts to Be Buried Side by Side
Annabell Rodriguez, Xavier Lopez would text each other 'I love you,' say their moms
- As toddlers, Annabell Rodriguez and Xavier Lopez played together at a trailer park where Xavier lived alongside Annabell's relatives. When the pair met again on the first day of fourth grade at Robb Elementary in Uvalde, Texas, they had no memory of those playdates, but they liked each other...
11-Year-Old Uvalde Survivor
Tells Her Story to Congress
Jun 8, 2022 11:00 AM CDT
11-Year-Old Uvalde Survivor Tells Her Story to Congress
'I don't feel safe at school,' says Miah Cerrillo
- A House panel is hearing this week from people affected by the mass shootings in Uvalde and Buffalo , and testimony on Wednesday drew particular attention—it came from an 11-year-old survivor of the Uvalde school shooting. In the prerecorded video , fourth grader Miah Cerrillo recalled how she and her classmates...
At Uvalde City Council
Meeting, a Big No-Show
Jun 8, 2022 6:17 AM CDT
At Uvalde City Council Meeting, a Big No-Show
Embattled school police chief Pete Arredondo, newly elected to council, bailed on his first meeting
- The Texas school district police chief who's been accused of waiting too long to order law enforcement to confront the gunman at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde has said that he'd "eventually" answer questions about the mass shooting that killed 19 students and two teachers last month....
McConaughey: They Had
to Identify Uvalde Victim
From These Shoes
Jun 7, 2022 8:42 PM CDT
McConaughey: They Had to Identify Uvalde Victim From These Shoes
Actor makes emotional speech at White House
- Matthew McConaughey made a surprise appearance at the White House on Tuesday and discussed some of the victims of the school shooting in his hometown, including 10-year-old Maite Rodriguez, who wanted to be a marine biologist. She wore green Converse shoes "with a heart she had hand drawn on...
Surviving Uvalde Teacher
Will 'Never Forgive' Police
Jun 7, 2022 4:51 PM CDT
Surviving Uvalde Teacher Will 'Never Forgive' Police
All 11 children in Arnulfo Reyes' classroom were killed in mass shooting
- A teacher who survived the Uvalde mass shooting says there is "no excuse" for police standing by for 77 minutes while children and teachers were killed. Arnulfo Reyes is hospitalized with gunshot wounds and grieving the two teachers and 19 students who were killed—including all 11 third and...
'Thoughts and Prayers Won't
Fix This': NY Changes Gun Law
Jun 6, 2022 1:14 PM CDT
'Thoughts and Prayers Won't Fix This': NY Changes Gun Law
Sale of semiautomatic rifles restricted to those 21 and older
- New Yorkers under age 21 will be prohibited from buying semiautomatic rifles under a new law signed Monday by Gov. Kathy Hochul, making the state one of the first to enact a major gun control initiative following a wave of deadly mass shootings, per the AP . Hochul, a Democrat, signed...
Chief Didn't Bring
Police Radio to School
Jun 3, 2022 4:20 PM CDT
Chief Didn't Bring Police Radio to School
Pete Arredondo might not have known at first about the 911 calls coming from the classroom
- The school district police chief who took charge of the response to the Uvalde shootings arrived quickly at Robb Elementary, while shots were still being fired inside. But Pete Arredondo didn't have a police radio with him, the
New York Times
reports. He called a police landline on a...
Jun 2, 2022 7:40 PM CDT
Biden Calls for Banning Assault Weapons
President pleads for Congress to act after mass shootings
- Asking Americans "how much more carnage" they're willing to accept, President Biden implored Congress in a nationally televised address Thursday night to take steps in response to the nation's spate of mass shootings. The president said he wants assault weapons and high-capacity magazines banned, the
Chief at Scene
Wasn't Told of
Jun 2, 2022 5:47 PM CDT
Lawmaker: Chief at Scene Wasn't Told of 911 Calls
Uvalde had a 'system failure' in communicating information, state senator says
- The commander overseeing police during a shooting at an elementary school in Uvalde, Texas, was not informed of panicked 911 calls coming from students trapped inside, and it's unclear who at the scene was aware of the calls as the massacre of 19 students and two teachers unfolded, a...
Girl Scouts Honor Young Victim
Killed Trying to Call 911
Jun 2, 2022 3:47 PM CDT
Girl Scouts Honor Young Victim Killed Trying to Call 911
Organization presents family of Amerie Jo Garza with Bronze Star for risking her life to save others
- Amerie Jo Garza was proud of the Girl Scout badges she'd earned. At her funeral on Tuesday, the organization demonstrated its pride in the 10-year-old girl who was shot to death in a Uvalde, Texas, classroom while trying to call for help. The Girl Scouts of Southwest Texas announced...
of Slain Teacher's
Final Phone Call
Jun 2, 2022 1:10 AM CDT
Devastating Details of Slain Teacher's Final Phone Call Revealed
She was on the phone with her husband, a school district police officer who was outside
- Eva Mireles' husband, Ruben Ruiz, is a school district police officer—and in the final minutes of his wife's life, Ruiz was on the phone with her as he stood outside her classroom at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas, barred from entering. "She’s in the classroom...
Uvalde Chief Says He'll
Answer Questions 'Eventually'
Jun 1, 2022 1:40 PM CDT
Uvalde Chief Says He'll Answer Questions 'Eventually'
'Whenever this is done and the families quit grieving, then we'll do that obviously'
- The Uvalde school district police chief accused of making the "wrong decision" during last week's school shooting has made his first public comments since the day of the massacre—but he didn't shed any light on his actions. Pedro "Pete" Arredondo told CNN Wednesday that he...
Uvalde Teacher Closed Door,
but It Didn't Lock
Jun 1, 2022 5:05 AM CDT
Uvalde Teacher Closed Door, but It Didn't Lock
Police initially said she hadn't closed the door
- Following the Uvalde mass school shooting, Texas state police initially said a Robb Elementary teacher had left an exterior door propped open and that's how the gunman entered the school. Now, they're significantly changing that story: The unnamed teacher did indeed prop a door open with a rock...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Two Words in Roberts' Ruling Signal a Big Fight
Howard Stern Selects His Presidential Running Mate
Kaitlin Armstrong Was Trying to Build New Life in Costa Rica
In Clarence Thomas Opinion, Line About COVID Vaccine, Cells From 'Aborted Children'
'We Literally Witness His Neck Break' in Police Van
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.