Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
House Vote to Punish
Russia Has Only 8 Nay Votes
Mar 17, 2022 5:10 PM CDT
House Vote to Punish Russia Has Only 8 Nay Votes
Legislation to suspend trade relations now goes to Senate
- The House voted overwhelmingly Thursday to suspend normal trade relations with Russia and Belarus, preparing for President Biden to enact higher tariffs on more products and further weaken the Russian economy in response to its military assault on Ukraine. The US has already taken steps to shut off the importation...
Russia to Be Stripped of
'Most Favored Nation' Status
Mar 11, 2022 3:52 AM CST
Russia to Be Stripped of 'Most Favored Nation' Status
US, EU, G7 to revoke trade status
- President Biden will announce Friday that, along with the European Union and the Group of Seven countries, the US will move to revoke "most favored nation" trade status for Russia over its invasion of Ukraine, the AP reports, citing "a source familiar with the matter who spoke on...
US, EU Agree on Trump
Oct 30, 2021 4:05 PM CDT
US, EU Agree on Trump Steel Tariffs
Tensions among nations had been rising along with costs
- US and EU negotiators have reached a broad agreement to dial back tensions over steel and aluminum tariffs imposed under former President Trump. Under the deal, NPR reports, US tariffs will stay in place, but an unspecified amount of steel and aluminum from the European Union will be allowed into...
Trump-Era Hangover Set to
Get Worse for Whiskey Makers
Mar 21, 2021 5:29 PM CDT
Trump-Era Hangover Set to Get Worse for Whiskey Makers
The EU's tariff rate is scheduled to double this summer
- A hangover from Trump-era tariff disputes could become even more painful for American whiskey distillers unless their entanglement in a trans-Atlantic trade fight is resolved soon, per the AP . Bourbon, Tennessee whiskey, and rye whiskey were left out of recent breakthroughs to start rebuilding US trade relations with the European...
Feds Remove Wakanda From
List of US Free Trade Partners
Dec 19, 2019 3:35 AM CST
Feds Remove Wakanda From List of US Free Trade Partners
'Guess we're in a trade war with them too'
- Bad news for importers of vibranium: Wakanda, the fictional African country from
, is no longer listed as a free trade agreement partner of the US. The US Department of Agriculture removed Wakanda from its Agricultural Tariff Tracker Wednesday after a researcher discovered that there were hundreds of entries...
US, China Near 'BIG DEAL'
Dec 12, 2019 2:47 PM CST
US, China Near 'BIG DEAL'
President Trump needs to give final approval
- The Trump administration and China are close to finalizing a modest trade agreement that would suspend tariffs that are set to kick in Sunday, de-escalating their 17-month trade war, the AP reports. "We're close to a deal,'' said Myron Brilliant, the US Chamber of Commerce's...
100% Tariffs on
Dec 3, 2019 12:42 AM CST
US Threatens 100% Tariffs on French Imports
Move would be retaliation for tech tax
- The Trump administration is proposing tariffs on up to $2.4 billion worth of French imports—including Roquefort cheese, handbags, lipstick, and sparkling wine—in retaliation for France’s tax on American tech giants like Google, Amazon, and Facebook. The Office of the US Trade Representative charged Monday that France’...
Trump Slaps Tariffs
on 2 More Countries
Dec 2, 2019 8:43 AM CST
Trump Slaps Tariffs on 2 More Countries
Argentina and Brazil hit with steel and aluminum penalties
- President Trump leaves for a NATO summit in London on Monday, but first he's making headlines in regard to South America. In an early tweet , the president announced he is restoring tariffs on aluminum and steel shipped from Argentina and Brazil, reports the
Wall Street Journal
. Trump accused both...
Trump Plans to Slap Tariffs
on $7.5B in European Goods
Oct 3, 2019 4:18 AM CDT
Trump Plans to Slap Tariffs on $7.5B in European Goods
Tariffs will hit EU cheese, wine, aircraft
- The Trump administration plans to impose tariffs on $7.5 billion worth of European imports—from gouda cheese to single-malt whiskey to large aircraft—beginning Oct. 18 to retaliate against illegal European Union subsidies for aviation giant Airbus. The latest escalation in the administration’s tariffs will open a new...
US-China Trade War
May Mean Higher Prices
Sep 1, 2019 3:40 PM CDT
US-China Trade War May Mean Higher Prices
Tariffs of 10% and 5% apply to various goods imported from China
- The US and China on Sunday put in place their latest tariff increases on each other's goods, potentially raising prices Americans pay for some clothes, shoes, sporting goods and other consumer items before the holiday shopping season, the AP reports. President Donald Trump said US-China trade talks were still...
Lobster Exports to China
Have Fallen Off a Cliff
Aug 26, 2019 12:47 AM CDT
Lobster Exports to China Have Fallen Off a Cliff
Maine's pain is Canada's gain
- US lobster exports to China have fallen off a cliff this year as new retaliatory tariffs shift the seafood business farther north. China, a huge and growing customer for lobster, placed heavy tariffs on US lobsters—and many other food products—in July 2018 amid rising trade hostilities between Beijing...
Trump: I Can Legally
Enforce My China Ban
Aug 24, 2019 3:15 PM CDT
Trump: I Can Legally Enforce My China Ban
The president threatens to wield the International Emergency Economic Powers Act
- President Trump is threatening to use the emergency authority granted by a powerful, but obscure federal law to make good on his tweeted "order" to US businesses to cut ties in China amid a spiraling trade war between the two nations, the AP reports. China's announcement Friday that...
Trump: Tariff Move Made
for the 'Christmas Season'
Aug 13, 2019 1:49 PM CDT
Trump: Tariff Move Made for the 'Christmas Season'
Slew of tariffs will now kick in Dec. 15 instead of Sept. 1
- The Trump administration on Tuesday announced it is punting on some of the tariffs it has announced against China. "We're doing this for the Christmas season," President Trump told reporters, a reference to fears that the import taxes could depress holiday sales, reports Reuters . The AP reports...
Trump Makes New Threat
Amid Slow China Talks
Aug 1, 2019 1:15 PM CDT
Trump Makes New Threat Amid Slow China Talks
The US will slap a tariff on $300B in Chinese goods, Trump says
- President Trump says the US will apply a new tariff of 10% on about $300 billion worth of products from China on Sept. 1, the AP reports. Trump tweeted Thursday amid slow-moving talks with China that negotiations will continue. But he blamed China for not following through on stopping the...
China's Growth Slumps
Amid Trade War With US
Jul 15, 2019 12:03 AM CDT
China's Growth Slumps Amid Trade War With US
It's now at its lowest level in at least 26 years
- Chin a's economic growth sank to its lowest level in at least 26 years in the quarter ending in June, adding to pressure on Chinese leaders as they fight a tariff war with Washington . The world's second-largest economy grew 6.2% over a year ago, down from the...
China Will Make Big
Demand of Trump
Jun 28, 2019 6:46 AM CDT
China Will Make Big Demand of Trump
Xi Jinping reportedly wants tariffs nixed and Huawei ban lifted to jump-start trade talks
- There's a sliver of hope trade talks may resume between the US and China and that a trade war could soon be over, but China has some demands first. The
Wall Street Journal
reports Robert Lighthizer, the chief US trade representative, is set to meet with his Chinese equivalent...
Jun 8, 2019 4:30 PM CDT
The US-Mexico Deal Wasn't Quite What It Seemed, Officials Say
Apparently most of it was struck months ago
- Turns out Friday's big immigration deal between the US and Mexico—or at least most of it—had already been struck over the past few months, officials on both sides tell the
New York Times
. The new agreement states that Mexico will deploy "its National Guard throughout Mexico"...
Trump: Tariffs for Mexico
Jun 8, 2019 6:00 AM CDT
Trump: Tariffs for Mexico 'Indefinitely Suspended'
President says new reported deal will 'greatly reduce, or eliminate, illegal immigration'
- "Indefinitely suspended." That's the fate of the tariffs President Trump had warned he'd levy against Mexico, per Trump himself, who tweeted Friday that a deal on immigration had been signed with our neighbors to the south, per Politico . Trump had previously signaled there was a "...
Suddenly, Tariffs on Mexico
Aren't Such a Sure Thing
Jun 7, 2019 1:10 PM CDT
Suddenly, Tariffs on Mexico Aren't Such a Sure Thing
Trump says there's a 'good chance' of a deal before deadline of Monday
- The tariffs scheduled to go into effect Monday against Mexico aren't looking like such a sure thing anymore. President Trump himself suggested as much on Twitter Friday, writing that there was a "good chance" of a deal before the looming deadline, reports
. The tweet came as...
May Ends on Sour Note
Over Tariffs' Worry
May 31, 2019 3:08 PM CDT
May Ends on Sour Note Over Tariffs' Worry
Dow falls 354
- Stocks tumbled on Wall Street Friday after the US announced plans to expand its trade war to Mexico, its third-biggest trading partner. The S&P dropped 36 points, or 1.3%, to 2,752; the Dow Jones Industrial Average fell 354 points, or 1.4%, to 24,815; and the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Verizon Just Got Pricier
Man 'Cooked Alive' After Police Tased Him at a Gas Pump
A 'Sweet Deal' for Ex-Cop in George Floyd Case
US Sues Steve Wynn, Says Casino Mogul Is Agent of China
Shkreli Released From Prison, Makes Joke on Facebook
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.