Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Jogger Fatally Shoots
Homeless Man on
Nov 27, 2023 2:00 AM CST
Jogger Fatally Shoots Homeless Man on Sidewalk: DA
California man has now been charged in September incident in Garden Grove, near Disneyland
- A southern California man out for a jog fatally shot a homeless man, police say. Craig Sumner Elliott, 68, has just been charged with felony voluntary manslaughter and felony enhancement of personal use of a firearm over the September 28 incident, CNN reports. The Orange County district attorney's office...
Texan Who Killed Man Driving
Away Is Guilty of Manslaughter
Nov 3, 2023 9:07 AM CDT
Texan Who Killed Man Driving Away Is Guilty of Manslaughter
But jury rejected murder charge against Terry Turner
- A Texas man has been convicted of manslaughter in the fatal shooting of a Moroccan immigrant who had pulled into his driveway. A Caldwell County jury on Thursday rejected a murder charge and convicted 67-year-old Terry Duane Turner of the lesser count in the October 2021 shooting death 31-year-old Adil...
School Shooter's Parents Lose
Appeal, Will Stand Trial
Oct 3, 2023 9:20 AM CDT
School Shooter's Parents Lose Appeal, Will Stand Trial
Jennifer and James Crumbley face charges of involuntary manslaughter
- The Michigan Supreme Court turned down an appeal Tuesday, clearing the way for the parents of a teenager who killed four fellow students in a shooting at Oxford High School to face trial on involuntary manslaughter charges. James and Jennifer Crumbley are accused of making a gun available to Ethan...
Her Plea Deal Stated She'd
Serve 8 Years. She'll Do More
Oct 2, 2023 2:30 AM CDT
Her Plea Deal Stated She'd Serve 8 Years. She'll Do More
Lauren Pazienza pleaded guilty to fatally shoving Broadway singing coach
- A New York judge sentenced a woman who pleaded guilty to fatally shoving an 87-year-old Broadway singing coach onto a Manhattan sidewalk to six months more in prison than the eight years that had been previously reached in a plea deal. During Friday's sentencing of Lauren Pazienza for manslaughter,...
Aug 7, 2023 8:21 AM CDT
Hole-in-One Helps Nab Manslaughter Suspect
Photo in newspaper shows man wearing same outfit as person sought in fatal beating
- Police in Florida have charged one senior citizen in the fatal beating of another, and a celebratory photo of a hole-in-one helped in the case. As Fox 35 reports, all of this began on June 28, when 87-year-old Dean Zook hit a car while trying to park at the Glenview...
Not Happy With
May 12, 2023 1:40 PM CDT
Neely's Family Not Happy With Manslaughter Charge
They say Daniel Penny should see murder charges after fatal chokehold on NYC subway
- A Marine veteran who put a fellow New York City subway rider into a fatal chokehold earlier this month was arraigned Friday morning and charged with second-degree manslaughter, a felony. Per the
, 24-year-old Daniel Penny surrendered at Manhattan Criminal Court at the request of the Manhattan district attorney'...
Limo Crash Killed 20.
5 Years Later, a Trial
May 1, 2023 10:45 AM CDT
Limo Crash Killed 20. 5 Years Later, a Trial
After plea deal rejected, operator of stretch limo goes on trial in upstate New York
- Nearly five years after a stretch limousine packed with birthday revelers careened down a hill and off a road in rural upstate New York, killing 20 people, the operator of the company that rented out the vehicle is going on trial. Nauman Hussain, who ran Prestige Limousine, is charged with...
Sheriff: Deputy Killed Friend
in 'Dumb, Avoidable' Accident
Dec 5, 2022 12:32 PM CST
Sheriff: Deputy Killed Friend in 'Dumb, Avoidable' Accident
Andrew Lawson 'jokingly' pulled trigger on gun he thought was unloaded, sheriff says
- One sheriff's deputy in Florida is dead and another is facing a manslaughter charge after what Brevard County Sheriff Wayne Ivey says was "an extremely poor and reckless decision." The sheriff's office says 23-year-old deputy Austin Walsh was fatally shot Saturday morning by his best friend...
As Trial Begins on Fatal
Flight 447, a Big First in France
Oct 10, 2022 6:54 AM CDT
As Trial Begins on Fatal Flight 447, a Big First in France
Air France and Airbus are first French companies to face trial there after a plane crash
- Thirteen years after Air France Flight 447 plunged into the Atlantic Ocean during its journey from Rio de Janeiro to Paris, a nine-week manslaughter trial is finally beginning. Reuters reports that the trial starting Monday in the French capital is the first time that companies in that nation have faced...
Captain Who Fatally Cut
Parasail Line Arrested
Sep 23, 2022 9:56 AM CDT
Captain Who Fatally Cut Parasail Line Arrested
A woman died and two children were injured in Memorial Day tragedy in Florida
- A Florida boat captain who admitted cutting a line securing a parasail to his vessel, resulting in the death of one of three riders , has been arrested for manslaughter. Daniel Gavin Couch, 49, hadn’t done a recent weather check ahead of high winds on Memorial Day, which put the...
Mom Charged After
2-Year-Old Shoots, Kills Dad
Jun 7, 2022 8:27 AM CDT
Mom Charged After 2-Year-Old Shoots, Kills Dad
Florida couple kept their gun unsecured in a home with 3 children, police say
- A Florida woman is facing a manslaughter charge after her 2-year-old son fatally shot his father in the back. Marie Ayala, 28, of Orlando said she heard a "loud pop" on May 26 before finding 26-year-old father of three Reggie Mabry bleeding on the floor of their home, per...
Judge: Ex-Cops in Floyd Killing
Can't Get Fair Trial Right Now
Jun 6, 2022 10:40 AM CDT
Judge: Ex-Cops in Floyd Killing Can't Get Fair Trial Right Now
Judge Peter Cahill delays trial of Tou Thao, J. Alexander Kueng until January
- The judge overseeing the remaining case of two former Minneapolis police officers charged in George Floyd's killing ordered Monday that the trial be delayed until January to improve prospects for a fair trial. Tou Thao and J. Alexander Kueng had been due to go on trial next Monday on...
Deputy Sentenced to 18 Years
in Drowning of 2 Detainees
May 20, 2022 4:02 AM CDT
Deputy Sentenced to 18 Years in Drowning of 2 Detainees
Women were trapped in back of van after Stephen Flood tried to drive through water
- A former deputy in South Carolina who ignored supervisors' suggestions of alternate routes and tried to drive through floodwaters has been found guilty on all charges in the deaths of two women trapped in the back of a sheriff's department van. Stephen Flood, 70, was sentenced to 18 years...
13 Years After Jet Crash, Sole
Survivor May 'Know the Truth'
May 10, 2022 9:02 AM CDT
13 Years After Jet Crash, Sole Survivor May 'Know the Truth'
Bahia Bakari, who emerged from 2009 crash that killed 152, attends trial of Yemenia in France
- The lone survivor of a 2009 passenger plane crash in the Indian Ocean that killed 152 people sat in the front row of a Paris courtroom Monday at the opening of the trial of the Yemeni airline that operated the flight. Yemen's main airline, Yemenia, has been charged with...
Kidd Creole Sentenced
to 16 Years for Manslaughter
May 5, 2022 7:47 AM CDT
Kidd Creole Sentenced to 16 Years for Manslaughter
Hip-hop legend was found guilty of stabbing homeless NYC man
: Nathaniel Glover, better known Kidd Creole, a founding member of hip-hop legends Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, has been sentenced to 16 years for killing a homeless man in 2017. The 61-year-old could been sentenced to up to 25 years in state prison for manslaughter, but prosecutors and...
Alabama State Employee
Killed by Pack of Dogs
May 2, 2022 2:31 PM CDT
Alabama State Employee Killed by Pack of Dogs
Health worker Jacqueline Beard was killed while investigating an earlier dog attack
- An employee for the Alabama Department of Public Health was killed by a pack of dogs on Friday. According to local KKTV News, police were in the area responding to a call about a suspicious vehicle, which turned out to belong to Jacqueline Beard, the victim, whose body was discovered...
Dunkin' Worker Who
Killed Customer Gets
2 Years House Arrest
Mar 8, 2022 5:32 PM CST
Dunkin' Worker Who Killed Customer Gets 2 Years House Arrest
Corey Pujols was called a racial slur by Tampa customer
: A Dunkin' employee who punched a customer, causing the man's death three days later, has been sentenced to two years of house arrest plus three years probation after pleading guilty to felony battery, reports the
Tampa Bay Times
. The charge was reduced from aggravated manslaughter under a plea...
Couple Whose Kids Died
in Flood Hear Their Fate
Jan 28, 2022 1:37 PM CST
Couple Whose Kids Died in Flood Hear Their Fate
Daniel Rawlings, who drove around barricade near swollen Arizona creek, and wife get probation
The parents of two children killed after the father drove their military-style vehicle around a barricade and straight into a flooded creek in Arizona won't be serving jail time.
reports that Judge Timothy Wright sentenced Daniel Rawlings to 60 months of supervised probation and 1,000 hours...
In 5th Trial, Ex-Cop
Jan 12, 2022 12:27 AM CST
In 5th Trial, Ex-Cop Convicted of Killing Daughter's Black Boyfriend
Shannon Kepler convicted of murder in federal trial
A former Oklahoma police officer has been tried and convicted, again, in the 2014 killing of his daughter's Black boyfriend. Shannon Kepler, who was tried four times in state court, was convicted (this time in his first trial in federal court) of second-degree murder, the AP reports. He...
Arrests in Case of Women Who
Were Left at Hospitals and Died
Dec 17, 2021 7:55 AM CST
Arrests in Case of Women Who Were Left at Hospitals and Died
Christy Giles, Hilda Marcela Cabrales-Arzola died in November
- Three men have been arrested in the deaths of two women who were dropped at Los Angeles hospitals on the same day last month . Model and aspiring actress Christy Giles, 24, was pronounced dead Nov. 13, shortly after masked men in a black Toyota Prius without a license plate left...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
George Santos Is Expelled From Congress
Couple's NC Wyeth Windfall Collapses
Report: Israel Had Details of Hamas Attack for Over a Year
NFL Star Charged With Assaulting Pregnant Girlfriend
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.